67%
package quality

price range

Reviews

16 days ago

Love the price point and quality of this chemical & physical sunscreen that also moisturizes. Can slather a lot on and it all absorbs into my skin. Wish it came in a bigger size. Only complaint is potential to flake/pill when layering makeup on top, which can somewhat be avoided with careful application (not helpful when I'm in a rush). No alcohol is always a plus. Good for everyday work use, but since it's not sebum/sweat/waterproof, I wouldn't use it for heavier activity.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinOily, Olive, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Medium

2 months ago

I'm really loving this sunscreen. I used Biore's watery sunscreen but it irritated my skin due to the alcohol content. Canmake's sunscreen is exactly like Biore's minus the alcohol! It's a lightweight gel and absorbs nicely. No sticky feeling or white cast. Layers under my liquid foundation nicely too. I'm so glad I bought this.

About reviewer (199 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlack, Other, Other

EyesBlack

3 months ago

My favorite sunscreen of all time. It is truly a joy to use and works very well on my combination skin. No fragrance, alcohol, or white cast. Beautiful finish, great protection. If I'm going to be sweating or outside for a long time I'll use something more tenacious/waterproof (Skin Aqua UV Milk), but otherwise this is my everyday SPF. It's pretty moisturizing and I don't need a secondary moisturizer underneath on my combination skin which is nice. No skin issues to speak of which is unheard of for my fussy skin. Will continue to repurchase as long as they make it.

About reviewer (31 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

EyesBlue

9 months ago

Holy grail sunscreen! I have very sensitive acne prone skin and it has been a true struggle to find a sunscreen. I use hyaluronic acid for an extra boost of moisture before applying. I also need to double cleanse or else I still feel it on my face.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive

HairBlack

2.0
from

9 months ago

My skin type is combo(can be dehydrated depending on the season)/acne-prone/sensitive skin. I don't deal with severe acne, it's mild and occasional. I really wanted this sunscreen to work for my skin, but it didn't. I tried it on for one day only and I couldn't continue using it. First the positive, high UVB/UVA protection 50/++++, good ingredients, no alcohol and no fragrance. Note that this is not water/sweat resistant and the tube is "very" small 40g. You would need to order a few at a time since I don't think it would last for more than one month. This would be a very good everyday sunscreen. The texture is smooth, very pale yellowish gel-lotion type that glides on the skin easily and absorbs well into the skin after a few minutes. It leaves a beautiful dewy glow, not the greasy type. It's not sticky/tacky at all, maybe slightly but very minimal IMO. It also helped "blur out" my skin so that it looked nicer? Kind of brighter/even tone a little bit. Not a lot, but slightly. There is no white cast on my skin, but it could for darker skin tone, because of this brightening effect, it may leave some white cast on your skin slightly. Overall, application/spreadability is very good even when I used the recommended amount of sunscreen it wasn't greasy. It just looked "wet" for a few minutes and sets into this dewy glow. I still would need to blot my face since I don't like that dewy look too much. But it's much better than other sunscreens I have tried that was very greasy/shiny. With this sunscreen, I would be okay to not blot my face right away and go outside like that (But I would still need to blot a bit a few hours later/middle of the day). Overall, very cosmetically elegant sunscreen. Take note that I only used this sunscreen on its own, so I had not problem with pilling. I don't wear makeup. However, the problem is that it was drying out my skin. This is a combo sunscreen (chemical/physical), I believe it may be the zinc oxide since I know that mineral sunscreens tend to dry out my skin a lot in general, even though I have combo skin. It wasn't making my skin feel super dry/tight that I needed to wash it off right away, but just a little bit that it made me feel uncomfortable throughout the day. It was starting to irritate my skin by the end of the day with some redness/tightness since it was drying my skin out. I think during the very cold winter time here (tested this sunscreen during spring), it wouldn't work at all or I would need to heavily moisturize before. It was also hard to wash it off with a "very" gentle cleanser, I would recommend you double cleanse or use a stronger cleanser to remove it. When I washed it off once, I could still feel a slight layer on my skin, but I thought it would be fine, so I applied my usual cream and it stung my face so bad which never happened before with my usual routine. I had to wash my face a second time to remove everything/remove all the sunscreen residue completely/perfectly. Then I applied my cream again and no more stinging! I believe my cream reacted with the sunscreen that was still left on my skin. I don't like washing my face twice at night since I have very sensitive skin so this is a no-go for me. I can't say if this made me breakout since I only used it for one day. It didn't cause any sudden rash when I first applied it or during the day. It also didn't irritate/burn/sting my eyes. It was just drying out my skin and that weird reaction I had during my nighttime routine. I wouldn't repurchase. Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (Aka Octinoxate), Butylene Glycol, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate (Aka Uvinal A Plus), Zinc Oxide, Methylheptyl Ester Of Lauric Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Dimethicone, Bis Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine (Aka Tinosorb S), Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Sodium Hydroxyethyl Acrylate / Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer Diisostearyl Malate, Hydroxide Al, Peg-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Stearic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxiethyl Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearyl Acid, Jojoba Ester, Xanthan Gum, Arginine, Hyaluronic Acid, Alpha-Glucan, Phytic Acid, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Glucosylceramide, Cherry Leaf Extract, Job’s Tears Seed Extract, Morus Alba Root Extract, Onethera Biennis Seed Extract, Silver Oxide, Queen Of The Meadow Flower Extract, Bilberry Leaf Extract, Artichoke Leaf Extract

About reviewer (74 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Olive, Cool

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

EyesBlack

3.0

10 months ago

i absolutely LOVE this sunscreen. i apply 1/4 teaspoon of it to my face each time i do my makeup, and do not find it to have a greasy residue, nor does it have any sort of white cast on my skin. it is also a bit shimmery and looks absolutely beautiful under my foundation; my skin truly looks a million times nicer with this on. additionally, i am somewhat acne-prone and occlusive products (even daily moisturizers) have a tendency to break me out with regular use, but so far this has worn very well on my skin and i'm really happy to have introduced it to my routine. i apply this on clean skin, with no other skincare, and wait 8-10 min after application before putting on my foundation (with a sponge). i hope i am applying it in a way that enables it to provide me with the protection listed on the bottle, but i really can't be sure. either way, it is a really nice priming sunscreen and i will happily finish the rest of it off (and potentially repurchase). i live in a country where CF makeup is very difficult to access and i can't make returns for products, so since i've been branching out and trying new things (esp re: skincare) i've had to opt for things that are popular overseas so i can find reviews and have a better chance of buying something that isn't a waste of money. but i intend to replace this sunscreen with a CF alternative after i move to the US and hopefully eventually will be able to update this review with something that makes me just as happy as this sunscreen does without harming animals in the process! update: i've used this sunscreen for a month now, 5 days a week, and it's already starting to take a bit of effort to get out of the tube. i think i paid about $10 for it, and honestly, i'm not willing to pay that much for a sunscreen if i have to replace it more than once every 2-3 months. this has a beautiful formula, but for something that i intend to make a long-term staple, it's just too expensive.

About reviewer (91 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair, Cool

HairBrown, Relaxed, Fine

EyesGray

a year ago

After using this for over six months, I can confidently say this is my holy grail sunscreen (I've already bought two backup bottles). For your reference, I have combination, acne-prone skin. I've tried the highly recommended Biore Aqua Rich Watery Gel, which made me breakout and become so greasy after a few hours. Thinking that I might have a sensitivity towards chemical sunscreen, I also tried the Derma E Natural Mineral Sunscreen Oil-Free Face Lotion. It did its job but it was heavy, thick, and loved to pill (not to mention it was a lot more expensive than this Mermaid Gel). I am so glad I gave this Canmake sunscreen a chance even though it uses chemical along with physical filters (the chemical filters made me hesitant because I didn't want more breakouts). My combination skin loves the lightweight gel consistency of this. I highly prefer this texture over the milky lotion ones. This sunscreen is incredibly easy to spread on the face, it's not scented, and there's no white cast. I adore the slightly dewy finish, it makes my skin look plump, glowy, healthy. I do find that if I use this right after my skincare it does pill a bit, but if I wait for my skincare to sink in before applying then there is no problem. This sunscreen also sits well under makeup. But most importantly, I don't get breakouts when I use this! Hooray! I love, love, love this sunscreen and I honestly believe anyone who is searching for a good SPF should give this a try. This review is coming from someone who frankly, hated sunscreen. I found it to be so tedious and I often forgot to use any even though I knew how important sun protection is. Now that I've found a sunscreen I really like, using SPF daily has become second nature to me so my skin is a lot happier and more even toned.

About reviewer (43 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairBrown, Straight, Fine

a year ago

Sad to see some negative reviews of this sunscreen on here because I've personally loved it! But YMMV when it comes to skincare... This has everything I want in a sunscreen: no white caste, doesn't leave a sticky or oily residue, looks dewy but not overly so, wears nicely under makeup (I haven't experienced any pilling with this) and has a decently high SPF rating. This sunscreen comes in a gel-moisturiser texture, which I prefer. I can see oily skins liking this because it leaves a similar finish to how a gel moisturiser would. I can also see dry skins liking this because it feels very hydrating. But you'll likely need to layer other skincare underneath as it won't be enough, but it won't contribute to further dryness like some sunscreens do. The only cons I can think of is the lack of availability. It's not readily available outside Japan and not a lot of online stores carry it. Other con I see the size. Because I like this sunscreen so much, I wish it came in a bigger size!

About reviewer (102 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinAcne-prone, Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Coarse

a year ago

This is by far my favorite sunscreen of all time! First of all, I should mention what I'm looking for in a sunscreen - what my perfect sunscreen product is like: - has an SPF of 30 or higher - should work as a base (under makeup, and in conjunction with my other skincare products) - shouldn't dry out my skin - should not be greasy - should not leave a white cast, so I can use it w/o makeup And the Canmake Meramid Skin Gel UV ticks all the boxes for me (28yrs, sensitive, dehydrated combination skin). The Canmake Mermaid Skin Gel has an SP of 50+ (PA++++), yet doesn't feel heavy or thick. Unlike most suncreens, it's not a cream. It really has a gel-like consistency. Looks slightly milky, but not white and opaque. When you blend it out on your skin it looks translucent. I've used it together with foundations (Revlon Color Stay for dry skin) and bb creams (Missha BB cream, Maybelline Dream Matte BB), and over different moisturizers (for example the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel) and it worked well together with all of these. I never had any pilling issues either. In the summertime, I sometimes skipped moisturizer and just used this underneath my makeup. I find it slightly hydrating, and it leaves a shiny finish without being heavy or greasy. It's not a sunscreen with a matte finish, but you can easily mattify the skin with a light layer of powder. With other sunscreens, I often couldn't dim down the shine, even if I used several layers of powder. This is not the case here, it's easy to tame the shine with this one. Another plus is that it doesn't leave a white cast. With other sunscreens, I often felt like I had to put on makeup to conceal the white cast. The UV Gel doesn't leave any cast, it just looks like you put on a moisturizer. It hasn't pilled on me either, as another reviewer described (Pilling is usually caused by hyaluronic acid, so it may be that the culprit was a moisturizer or serum that contained HA). And on top of all that, it's also affordable and the packaging is cute as well. The only downside is the availability - I've only found a couple of shops overseas that sell Canmake products, unfortunately. Other than that, I really recommend this sunscreen to anyone who is looking for a sunscreen with high spf that is easy to handle. That is probably my main concern since I've tried many products - most sunscreens either leave a cast, don't work together with my other skin care or makeup products, or are too greasy. So this is perfect for me!

About reviewer (5 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

2.0

2 years ago

I bought this thinking it would be a good alternative to the Biore sunscreen, because my Biore one sometimes pills under makeup. Unfortunately, even though most people's reviews on the Canmake mention that they experience no pilling, I experienced pilling that was far worse than the Biore. Perhaps it's the way it's interacting with my skincare underneath, but I'm not about to stop using those products for this sunscreen. It also leaves a very shiny finish, but in a dewy way, not in a slick oily way. I find that it leaves whitish streaks and you have to try to 'blend it in' even though you're not supposed to rub in sunscreen too much. Overall, because of the unacceptable pilling and the fact that it's not water/sweat-resistant (why would mermaids use this?), I won't be repurchasing this. Will probably use on days when I'm staying indoors and not have to put makeup on, or on my neck.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm