NARS Cosmetics Velvet Shadow Stick

4.8

on 9/14/2018 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Based on reviews, I am guessing that Oaxaca is the most popular shade in this formula from Nars. I have 2 others that look similar, LM Khaki and Chanel Stylo Eyeshadow in Brun Chatain, which I think is discontinued. Oaxaca is much more subtle and neutral than either of these. It is a lovely shade to add a bit of color and sheen if you are in a hurry or want to just look very casual or for very hot summer days when a full face of makeup seems unbearable. It is hard to describe the color, maybe warm greyish shimmery taupe. I have hazel/green eyes with pretty fair neutral/golden skintone and the color works great, but I think it would work with most eye colors and skin shades. This was my first e/s crayon purchase and I think it is the only one I am likely to use up and repurchase. And, if you're doing a full eye look, this one works great to give a subtle shimmer pop in an otherwise matte look.

on 6/2/2018 1:54:00 AM

I have this in oaxaca in the mini version. I use this for my outer lower lashline and i love it. The only downside is im not sure if its long lasting because i never wear makeup over 5 hours but it does stay put for that. I can swipe this on the lids for a 5 minute makeup look if i needa be out the door but want something something on the eyes. This color is what i wish mac paintpot in groundwork would have been, i really liked that one but it leaned a bit warm on me. This is a true taupe brown shade that also can look a tiniest bit bronzey in some lights but still neutral enough to not look orange, also this has a sheen/subtle shimmer. I am not repurchasing because i dont use this everyday and also its too pricey for what it is.

on 3/10/2017 6:49:00 PM

I think I have finally found that one indispensable eyeshadow that you just never want to be without.
I have recently purchased the NARS Velvet Shadow Stick in the shade Oaxaca, which is a taupe-greyish-slightly silvery color, which is perfectly balanced between the three color nuances. I mostly use it as an all-over wash for that discrete put-together every day look that we all strive for. To that end I have tried tons of high-end and drugstore eyeshadows that many people have been raving about, including for example the famous Pale Barley and Almond from Burberry, Bedroom Eyes from NYX, and many many others, and have found them to be either too obvious and too warm on my skin (making me look sick) or, on the contrary, too undetectable on the lids.
This color (Oaxaca) is simply perfect for us gals with cooler undertones - both as a stand-alone shadow and as a base for heavier night-time looks.
The longevity of these shadow sticks is also amazing, especially considering my super wrinkly lids and how most eyeshadows crease on me like crazy even with a primer. Same goes for the blendability.
All in all a superb product that I will be repurchasing the first chance I get.

on 3/8/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

I have this in dark blue, and omg its amazing. Its unbelievably smooth,pigmented and blendable. After a bit it sets and stays put. When I first used it i couldn't believe products like this existed. The blendability is just... wow. For example the blue color I have is almost black and with just a couple of passes of my blending brush it blends in super easy into my lid and crease. It also works great as a base and as eyeliner. I want every color. Will defenetively purchase other colors.