Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette
Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

4.7

on 10/23/2017 10:56:00 PM

I love this palette by Kat Von D ! I was surprised with the pillowy soft texture of the shadows and loved how well they blended out. "Shade and Light Contour" palette is definitely a winner ! These colors are very pigmented and I love the "highlight" shades that come with each quad. It's very effective. All the colors are !

on 10/11/2017 2:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Guys, guys, this palette is freakin' awesome. Read on to discover just HOW awesome..

I just bought this as my second palette a few weeks ago so I will update in the future once I use it more. I like this palette. It's very basic and it's just what I need for everyday looks. Nothing crazy or fancy here, but it's a wonderful palette for everyday office looks or for going to school or even on a night out by adding some of the darker shades. The shadows are very soft and creamy and blend very well as others have stated.

on 9/23/2017 11:13:00 PM

Absolutely beautiful, highly wearable shades that you can rock anywhere. It give you natural, work appropriate looks to sexy, dramatic smokey eyes for evening. The colors are matte-which won't exaggerate lines or wrinkles around the eyes. The shades are divided into three sections: cool, neutral, and warm tones. I own stock in brown eyeshadows-I kept asking myself-do I need another brown eyeshadow? Apparently I do. I absolutely adore this palette for its wearability. I have brown eyes-these basic but perfectly complimentary colors brings out the gold flecks in my eyes. I can see this palette being complimentary to blue, green, hazel eyes also-because the neutrals are so very flattering and never out dated. Sometimes, I want to be trendy and funky-and rock a teal eyeshadow or a purple eyeliner-but I will return to this palette again and again. I always do. I have a number of palettes from Anastasia, MAC eyeshadows, Too Faced Chocolate Bar and Peach palettes, and have tried Tarte palettes, bought Morphe palettes (yes, I'm obsessed). I keep grabbing these colors because they are dependable, buttery, flattering, highly pigmented and well coordinated shades that cross the warm, neutral, and cool tones of the color wheel. Lovely. Yeah, it ain't cheap-but you'll use it constantly to create beautiful, wearable looks. The only con I can think of is that the black eyeshadow isn't as strikingly pitch black as I would like. Fortunately, I have a lot of black eyeshadows to pull from-but the other shades are all lovely. The black isn't bad-it's just not super richly dark, more like a soft black if that makes sense. You may find that you have a "favorite" trio-depending on whether you're warm or cool toned, or prefer more neutral tones-and that trio may get more wear-but every shade is basic enough to use on its own, as a transitions shade or to blend softly on the lid, or under the brow. Great flexibility in looks and wear. Sometimes basic is better.

on 7/27/2017 12:36:00 AM

When I first heard of KVD products I was excited to know that they were extremely pigmented and soft. I think the brand has struck on gold with their eye-shadows. I bought this palette to compliment my Monarch palette and must say it is a high performing staple. The shades a beautiful neutrals and warms that I use with palettes that are high colour or shine.

The formula lives up to its hype. It's buttery and very pigmented a little goes a long way. I am able to discern the differences in colour when layer down, the colours a long lasting and true to pan. I love this palette as a standard in my arsenal.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

My favorite eyeshadow palette! Always the first palette I pick up and will 100% purchase once I hit pan on my favourite shades. The powders are so buttery and blend so easily onto the skin, although the black isn't as dark as I thought it would be. But hands down the best palette I have ever purchased, definitely, a must have for everyone. The shades are basic universal colours that can be used for natural looks and night looks.

on 6/13/2017 7:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I always reach for this palette whatever eye look i am going for. All shades have great pigmentation however the black is not as intense and dark as I want. I own other black eyeshadows which I prefer over the one in this palette.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I don't understand the hype around this palette. I found that the shadows don't blend as nicely. A lot of fall out. I don't find myself reaching for this palette a lot. I can only use 4 or 5 colors of the 12 colors. For a makeup artist this one might work, but everyday personal use not really.

on 3/17/2017 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Easily my favourite nude/natural/everyday wear matte palette. The colours will work for ANY skin tone and blend so easily. I love the booklet that comes with it with ideas for how to contour the eye (really neat stuff) but even using it not for the purpose of contouring, this palette is perfection. You can create so many versatile looks with these shadows.

There isn't much else to say about this palette. I just really, really love it.

on 3/4/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I waited a really long time to buy this palette. I love it. I find it to be very smooth and blendable, with the exception of the shade Saleos. It's the 4th color on the bottom, left to right. That one is very "grabby" the edges are almost impossible to blend out so I find I just don't use it. I love the others, with Lazarus being my most used as a transition color. I feel that other than the middle quad, the palette does run warm leaning neutral. I have also had some irritation in the past with KVD's shadows but that is not an issue here. I use this palette daily.

on 3/2/2017 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Okay ladies, only an 88% for this dynamite palette. I.Am.Disappointed.

Smh.

This palette consists of 12 luxurious eyeshadows in a range of neutral, cool and warm tones with each tone grouped into a quad for an easy look. Each quad includes a base, crease, definition and highlight color for an easy and cohesive looks, like what is pictured in the pamphlet that comes with the palette. Or create whatever look you want, do YOU baby girl!

Let's start by covering the bases!

L is lovely Ludwin, the neutral base offering. After primer and maybe a little concealer, I generously pat ludwin from my lash line to right above my crease. The yellow toned shadow feels creamy to the touch and has a tendency to kick up product so don't forget to give your brush a little 'tap tap tappy'. You should know that all the colors are prone to this. If this is a deal breaker for you, then GOOD. That leaves more of these babies on the store shelves for those that love it!

L (again?) is for little, lonely Lazarus, the second base shade and part of the cool quad. This poor thing. This palette has been in my stash for more than a year and I have NEVER used it. Cool tones on their own clash with my Asian Indian NC40 skin. The only way to make cool colors work for me is to pair it with something warm. This is possible with this palette but I've never attempted it. I'm lazy, so shoot me.

L (Kat must like the letter L) is for layering because the warmth of Laetus, the warm base, makes it a fantastic transition color for almost any look. The peachy, orange color brings warmth (duh) and a soft, pretty depth to my eyes. The soft texture of these shadows helps Laetus shine as a transition shade. Many of even my most stubborn shadows blend out easily if Laetus is layered underneath.

Now I welcome you to Summarizing 101!!

I do not use the cool quad. I don't know, I just don't prefer the shades offered. If I can't find my MAC Black Tied eyeshadow, I may just use Shax, the black definition shade. Honestly, if you have the MAC Cool Neutrals x15, you're the proud owner of one of the best batches of Black Tied that MAC has ever released. Nothing will compare. I don't doubt that there's better black eye shadows on the market. Both Lazarus and Liberatus, the crease shade, are still untouched. If and when I might reach for a gray eyeshadow, hands down it'll be MAC Copperplate. Nothing compares to it. However, I have found something special in Saleos, the intensely white highlight shade. Unlike the neutral and warm highlights, Saleos is a bright, clean matte white. My basic eye prep routine is the neutral base Ludwin from lash line to crease and Saleos from brow bone to crease, which I'll pat lightly to blend. This opens up my eyes and sets me up for any eye look.

Latinus is the neutral crease color but it oddly runs cool on me. It's like my skin tone makes the color appear not true to pan. Poorly explained, I know, so take from that what you will. Sytry, the definer shade suffers from this same color adapting situation. I much prefer the warm definer shade if I can even be bothered to use any of the darker shades. Most days I just blend Laetus and Latinus into my crease and maybe Succubus, the neutral ivory highlight. The sheen of both Succubus and the warm highlight is subtle, no frost here. I should mentioned that the three highlights are VERY soft. Easily the softest of the bunch and they kick up product something fierce and you WILL have fallout unless you either tap your brush before application or barely touch your brush to the pan. Unfortunately the shimmer highlights are very pretty but primers like the infamous Urban Decay Primer Potion and the equally popular Too Faced Shadow Insurance couldn't help these shades last. After just one or two hours, you would think I had never even applied it. What a shame.

Now if you haven't already jumped on the Modern Renaissance bandwagon and learned to love the warm oranges, reds and pinks that are currently trending, I BEG you to not be afraid of the rich red crease shade named Lucius. A little bit of Lucius on a fluffy blending brush will give you another warm transition. I use Lucius to make the neutral crease and definer colors work. Applied as a transition, Sytry morphs into a very pretty purple-y mauve. Building it up and blowing out the crease, with the rich brown Solas packed on the lid, makes an sultry smokey eye. These two also come together to make a very unique cut crease. Samuel, the warm highlight, is a buttery gold color. Again, the sheen is not over the top but regrettably, it too suffers from the same shortcomings as the neutral highlight.

I am by no means a casual makeup enthusiast. The core of just my beloved eyeshadow collection are my three MAC 15 pan palettes, two that were personally curated by me. I use this palette every single day. Its a cosmetic workhorse and a staple in stash. I would absolutely repurchase if I was ever without it. The people at KVD created a masterpiece and I would highly recommend as a gift for the cosmetically inclined both young and old.

continued >>