3.8

package quality

price range

Reviews

2 months ago

If I could only wear one fragrance for the rest of my life, I would probably pick this one. Such a versatile scent! This can be worn with everything, jeans and a sweater or a cocktail dress, it almost adjusts itself to what you wear and your mood. I love Chanel No 5 L'Eau and Rive Gauche is its older, but more daring, sister. I love this in the autumn & winter, but it can be worn all year round. It is such a classic but will always have that modern edge, might be because it has a slight masculine touch?

About reviewer (446 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Wavy, Coarse

a year ago

Rive Gauche is classified as an aldehydic floral – a genre of fragrance that has fallen out of favour since the late ‘80s, much to the dismay of this glamour-loving writer. In keeping with this style, Rive Gauche opens with a champagne-sparkle of aldehydes, but where this shimmer is fizzy and vibrant in fragrances such as Chanel’s No5, it is much more subdued in the YSL. This sets Rive Gauche apart from its contemporaries, pairing clear citrus and aldehydes to give a crisp bite that is aloof and commanding, speaking of a woman who takes no prisoners but doesn’t feel the need to shout to be assertive. Flowers play a significant role in Rive Gauche’s composition. The fragrance displays an abstract bouquet of florals in monochrome, that gives the impression of a regal vase, stuffed to the brim with black and white blooms. There’s something about this grey scale idea of aldehydic flowers that comes across as completely classic and never dated. It’s the olfactory equivalent of a little black dress – sure, it may not be the type of thing one dons every single day (or ever, in my case), but there is always a place for something so timelessly chic in every wardrobe. As it dries down, Rive Gauche subdues further and rests itself on a bed of vetiver, musk and oakmoss. The musk extends the overtly ethereal and airy feel of the top notes, whereas the vetiver and oak moss come together to create a sour and earthy quality that asserts Rive Gauche’s rigid backbone. The interplay between the harsh and the soft in the base is really quite remarkable and it ultimately gives the impression of smooth and supple textiles cut in to clean and sharp angles.

About reviewer (512 reviews)

SkinNormal, Other

HairBrown

1.0

3 years ago

I bought a small bottle of the vintage bath oil on eBay just for memory's sake. My mom had the iconic blue-and-silver bottle on her dresser when I was a kid and I never liked it much. I thought it smelled clinical, cold, and rather like deodorant tampons mixed with cigarette smoke. Sadly, even though I'm now much more sophisticated in my tastes and own dozens if not hundreds of perfumes, I still don't like Rive Gauche at all. I can appreciate ita quality components and memorable signature... but to me, it still smells cold and metallic, and yes, cigarette-y. The rose note is realistic and pleasant, but it never warms on my skin. Ultimately this stuff just smells like Glade to me.

About reviewer (224 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

EyesBrown

3 years ago

I just refuse to believe I didn't write a review for this perfume... I'm wearing it at the moment, it is cca 25Celsius, summer is about to end pretty soon and the chilliness of the morning is almost perfect for this magnificent fragrance....Now, everywhere it's been known that this one is being reformulated (or allready is reformulated...I can't acknowledge that since I haven't had the chance to try the new version...but the older one is just perfection... Couple of days ago, my friend and I been talking about some sentimental stuff, feelings some perfumes evoke, and persons they connect you to in an instant....as well as she is, I'm stunned how this perfume has the ability to transmit a kind of a sadness to a person...maybe ''sagesse'' is the better word for it...it is so melancholic,rich and just splendidly metallic like no other...ok, the other that has the same metallic, silver,cold and warm vibe is CdG 2....they could almost be some kind of weird holograms of the same scent...but while Cd2 rests in its serenity, this Rive Gauche haunts and, tiptoes like a shiny ghost around me and makes me cringe sometimes... it is a wonderful example of cold aldehydic rose,very soft,soapy and greasy...but has nothing in common with typical aldehyde monsters such as Joy, Chanel No 5 or the ''pimp'' guard of classics... this one is almost unique,like totally unique....it has this unexplainable vibe just like A.Elixir has...it leads you through unconscious paths of perfume experience, it is THAT powerful....I can wear it very rarely because it evokes very dark and mysterious feelings for me...as if I'm some kind of sadly passed heroin who wore it in the 70ties, tragically crushed in an accident or even more bizzare, strangled by a jealous lover....ok, a moment please.... you see....YOU SEE? THIS IS HOW THIS PERFUME MAKES ME FEEL...I can ramble whole day long about it...it speaks, it doesn't just....smell.. a masterpiece indeed,but I have to be in the right state of mind for it.... 10/10,if not for the scent itself, but for the eloquency and pondering experience I have every time I put it on...

About reviewer (203 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Straight, Fine

EyesBrown

5 years ago

Well, I'm reviewing this one on behalf of my mom. I don't wear it, but she has, ever since it came out in the seventies! The scent is light and breezy, with a full bouquet. I can't describe it, to me, it smells like my mom! When she sprays it on, everywhere she goes there is this gorgeous scent trail, and she doesn't overspray, mind you. It's kind of a hippy perfume, it embodies The free spirited woman, which my mom is. The bottle is revolutionary too, no classic bottle but a column, with stripes and no sign of a visible perfume. She loves it and I agree with her!

About reviewer (172 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair, Cool

HairBlond, Straight, Fine

6 years ago

Here is something you can do for fun: get samples of Rive Gauche, Ma Griffe (Carven), and Calandre (Paco Rabanne) and smell them all together. (Important safety tip: if there's a thunderstorm going on, make sure you wait until it's over, as having a terrified dog hiding under your desk panting stink-breath at you will in no way enhance your experiment.) At first spray, Rive Gauche and Ma Griffe both come across with Green and Aldehydes. The difference is that Rive Gauche smells of aldehydes and green rose, whereas Ma Griffe (which, full disclosure, is one of my all-time favorites) smells like green aldehyde powder. At this point there is no comparison to Calandre, because right at the moment of application Calandre smells like soap bubbles. Pleasant, expensive soap bubbles. But when the three of them dry down they are very VERY similar. Rive Gauche smells like sharp green powder, Ma Griffe smells like round white powder, and Calandre smells like slightly salty powder. Up to you to decide which you prefer. I know the packaging is considered goundbreaking and very chic, but I personally think it's ugly. Take that for whatever it's worth.

About reviewer (26 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair, Cool

HairBrunette, Other, Medium

7 years ago

I never liked this fragrance in the past! I sprayed it recently on a trip to Boots where I often try something that I have never tried before and for some reason this caught my eye. I was pleasantly surprised and will agree with another reviewer that it is what I wish Chanel 5 was. It is fresh and not cloying. Staying power is good and it has retained it's freshness yet at the same time having some depth. It reminds me of a remodelled fur coat, something that has been reincarnated into something better! Yum!

About reviewer (107 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrunette

1.0

7 years ago

What on earth has L'oreal done to this perfume! This new formula smells so bad that i gave it away. Still have some of the older stuff [2 years ago] which i am rationing out..The YSL brand is DOOMED.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBrown

EyesBlue

2.0

7 years ago

I remember having "Rive Gauche " as a present back in 1994,I was a teen then and having an Yves Saint Laurent perfume was like having dreams come true ..but once I sprayed it I got sooooooooo disappointed , it's a very "artificial " scent ..In fact the bottle itself was a huge disappointment ! a Tin Can ..That's it . No luxury about it at all ...Some reviewers here mentioned , it was the older formula back then , and it has been improved to show its middle tone ..I am glad to hear that but won't look for it again ...I agree it has very "avant -garde " idea to it ..but I like pop -culture in music and films , not in fragrances that I would wear ...

About reviewer (142 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

3.0

7 years ago

Ah the memories; my mom used to wear this a lot in the 80s, she even gave me an empty bottle to play with when I was a little, Barbie crazed kid. So just looking at the bottle makes my heart all warm. That being said, this is a very strong scent which is indeed very 80s. This may be a good or bad thing, depending on your taste. I am not an 80s person unfortunately. The fashion, the makeup, the music, none of those elements that other people adore seems to do it for me. But if they do it for you, this may be your fragrance.

About reviewer (331 reviews)

Age25-29