Paula's Choice Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment

3.9

Not tested on animals

Water, Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Isononyl Isononanoate (emollient), Castor Isostearate Succinate (skin-conditioning agent), Glyceryl Stearate (emulsifier), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone thickener/texture enhancer), PEG-33 (binding agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Behenyl Alcohol (fatty alcohol thickener), Retinol (cell-communicating ingredient), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ceramide 2 (skin-repairing ingredient), Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (antioxidant plant extracts/anti-irritants), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant/skin-conditioning agent), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (antioxidant), Sorbitan Laurate (emulsifier), Acetyl Dipeptide-1 Cetyl Ester (anti-irritant), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Tribehenin (emollient), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin (skin conditioning agents),Pentylene Glycol (slip agent), PEG-100 Stearate (thickener), PEG-75 Shea Butter Glycerides (emollient), PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer (film-forming agent), PEG-10 Phytosterol (fatty acid-based thickener), PEG-8 Dimethicone (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), PEG-14 (thickener), Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate (binding agent), Polymethylsilsesquioxane (silicone-based opacifying agent), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (slip agent), Arachidyl Glucoside (emulsifier), Sclerotium Gum (thickener) Arachidyl Alcohol (thickener), Benzoic Acid (preservative), Carbomer (gel-based thickener), Phenoxyethanol (preservative)

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Paula's Begoun is a lady who always strikes me as knowing her ingredients. Her brand has some pretty impressive formulations. She doesn't rely on telling tall stories that revolve around magnetic soundwaves that can make a formula more potent, nor a flower that never fades and scientists spending a decade trying to understand why. Everything about her products and brand has always struck me as being honest and down to earth. I don't share her love of Mineral oil and silicones but on those I have to just respectfully agree to disagree.

I've had the good fortune of trying quite a number of sample packs and trial sizes that she lists on the PC website. Having previously used Skinceuticals 0.5% I was ready to up the ante and try something stronger. This formula with the addition of Licorice (good for brightening) struck me as a good choice.

First of all this is quite hydrating. If you have dry to normal skin this will suit you just fine. For myself being oily I had to use it very lightly so as not to over-hydrate my skin. The packaging - although good for keeping the ingredients stable was quite annoying as I always found it dispensed either too little or too much with each pump. As with other retinol formulations I did notice a difference in both pore size and skin texture and in a fairly short amount of time. Additionally there was also a very slight difference to fine lines which I can only put down to the impressive choice of ingredients in here. I had been expecting to peel or notice redness but luckily that did not happen.

The downside is the silicone content. I could only use this once or twice a week at most without experiencing a breakout. In itself it is a great product provided you are ok with silicones. For those like myself who are not, the hunt for the perfect retinol product goes on...

(used this product in October 2017)

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

(I've sampled 100s of skin, hair and m/u products over the last decade and a half, as I'm constantly trying out new stuff all the time - usually sample/trial sizes from e-bay, also plenty courtesy of a friend who works at Sephora. Thought it might be useful to share my top 10 must-have products, subject to change if and when I come across something more effective)

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: Jack Black - Intense Therapy
3. Pigmentation/Anti-Ageing: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Facial Treatment Serum
4. Cleanser: 'Aveda' - Purifying Gel Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

I dont get any dryness or redness or peeling as retinol side effect used to. I use it everynight, daily. I previously use obagi retinol 1.0 and its an amazing product and has mild irritation. PC retinol 1% did make my skin appear smoother, brighter maybe because of the vitamin c in it. But for pores and evening my skintone, it did nothing, maybe just slighty even but not as any other retinol used to. Its not powerful at all for me, and it doesn’t control oilliness, it feels greasy after applying the product. It didnt break me out, but because it doesnt control my oil, so it has a chance to make me breakout or clogged my pores and won’t prevent future breakouts either as it didnt do much at controlling my oilliness. it’s quite expensive too. Not for me

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Great but expensive.

You get this from The Ordinary at a fraction of the price!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This product does everything it says, and I haven't had a problem with skin irritation or flaking in spite of using it every night. I deducted one lippie for my one gripe - the fragrance bothers me and tends to linger for several hours. Other than that it's a solid product, and I'll continue to repurchase.

Very overpriced and did nothing for my complexion. I got the travel size, to try it out for a few weeks. It did not sting, it smelled strange, and made my face very sticky. I saw no results other than the moisturizing effects. I switched to a different brand and saw results overnight, for a much cheaper price. Don't waste your money, folks! It gets two stars for great packaging though, and a trustworthy (non irritating) formulation.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

this product is the bomb!
it did help with open pores ,fine lines and gave my skin an overall luminous finish and healthy glow
dont over use it or it will cause irritation ( i use it three times a week)
for the price it delivers better than some 350 pounds serums
love it
i also wrote a review on my blog www.alexinwonderland.net

I've been using this since it came out, and it's NOT a miracle. But it really does do more for your skin than any other over the counter cream, lotion, or potion that I've ever tried, I have melasma on my face, and the last time I visited my cousin who I hadn't seen in several years, she said "what happened to your face - the spots are ALL gone?" I don't love the container - as some have noted it seemed to "run out" earlier than I expected, so I popped off the ring and pulled out the tube, and there was a bunch left! So now I just cope with that - I'd cut OPEN the tube to get the last bit out; I'm that cheap.

It's on the high end for me price-wise, but I'm pretty cheap so ymmv.

Great stuff! You can really feel this working. I’ve been using it for about three months and I’m up to using it on alternate nights. The bottle wasn’t even empty yet and I already bought a new one!

The Paula's Choice 1% Retinol Treatment Serum is one of few products that I have re-purchased several times. This retinol is strong enough to be very effective but contains enough skin soothing ingredients that it doesn't leave my skin feeling irritated. If you haven't used retinol before I recommend you start out very slowly- like every other day or even less if your skin starts to flake. The other option is to start out with a lower percentage retinol. The First Aid Beauty .25% Retinol FAB Skin Lab Concentrate is another great one to start out with to allow your skin to acclimate to retinol treatments.

I have read some reviews of the Paula's Choice Serum stating that it made their skin flake and dry but this has nothing to do with the brand- it is just that the percentage of retinol was just too much for them to start out with. I use this at night after cleansing and on top of a very light hydrating serum. I always apply a thick moisturizing cream over the retinol serum to keep my skin from becoming overly dry.

I love that Paula's Choice has done a great job protecting the serum from air and light. Retinol is extremely reactive to air and light exposure so you definitely want make sure the retinol you buy protects it from this exposure. This is also why you should use retinol at night and ALWAYS use sunscreen in the day time. The only "true" anti-aging product you can buy is sunscreen.

One more thing to love is that this serum is alcohol and fragrance free. It is also on the more affordable end of the spectrum and cruelty free to boot. My video review can be seen here: