Paula's Choice Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment

Not tested on animals

Water, Dimethicone (silicone slip agent), Glycerin (skin-repairing ingredient), Butylene Glycol (slip agent/penetration enhancer), Isononyl Isononanoate (emollient), Castor Isostearate Succinate (skin-conditioning agent), Glyceryl Stearate (emulsifier), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone thickener/texture enhancer), PEG-33 (binding agent), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Behenyl Alcohol (fatty alcohol thickener), Retinol (cell-communicating ingredient), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Ceramide 2 (skin-repairing ingredient), Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 (cell-communicating ingredients), Sodium Hyaluronate (skin-repairing ingredient), Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (antioxidant plant extracts/anti-irritants), Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols (antioxidant/skin-conditioning agent), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Allantoin (anti-irritant), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Soy Protein (antioxidant), Sorbitan Laurate (emulsifier), Acetyl Dipeptide-1 Cetyl Ester (anti-irritant), Disodium EDTA (stabilizer), Hydroxyethylcellulose (thickener), Sodium Hydroxide (pH adjuster), Tribehenin (emollient), Caprylyl Glycol, Ethylhexylglycerin (skin conditioning agents),Pentylene Glycol (slip agent), PEG-100 Stearate (thickener), PEG-75 Shea Butter Glycerides (emollient), PPG-12/SMDI Copolymer (film-forming agent), PEG-10 Phytosterol (fatty acid-based thickener), PEG-8 Dimethicone (silicone-based skin-conditioning agent), PEG-14 (thickener), Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate (binding agent), Polymethylsilsesquioxane (silicone-based opacifying agent), Magnesium Aluminum Silicate (slip agent), Arachidyl Glucoside (emulsifier), Sclerotium Gum (thickener) Arachidyl Alcohol (thickener), Benzoic Acid (preservative), Carbomer (gel-based thickener), Phenoxyethanol (preservative)

Great stuff! You can really feel this working. I’ve been using it for about three months and I’m up to using it on alternate nights. The bottle wasn’t even empty yet and I already bought a new one!

The Paula's Choice 1% Retinol Treatment Serum is one of few products that I have re-purchased several times. This retinol is strong enough to be very effective but contains enough skin soothing ingredients that it doesn't leave my skin feeling irritated. If you haven't used retinol before I recommend you start out very slowly- like every other day or even less if your skin starts to flake. The other option is to start out with a lower percentage retinol. The First Aid Beauty .25% Retinol FAB Skin Lab Concentrate is another great one to start out with to allow your skin to acclimate to retinol treatments.

I have read some reviews of the Paula's Choice Serum stating that it made their skin flake and dry but this has nothing to do with the brand- it is just that the percentage of retinol was just too much for them to start out with. I use this at night after cleansing and on top of a very light hydrating serum. I always apply a thick moisturizing cream over the retinol serum to keep my skin from becoming overly dry.

I love that Paula's Choice has done a great job protecting the serum from air and light. Retinol is extremely reactive to air and light exposure so you definitely want make sure the retinol you buy protects it from this exposure. This is also why you should use retinol at night and ALWAYS use sunscreen in the day time. The only "true" anti-aging product you can buy is sunscreen.

One more thing to love is that this serum is alcohol and fragrance free. It is also on the more affordable end of the spectrum and cruelty free to boot. My video review can be seen here:

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I read a lot of other reviewers mentioning this product was recommended to them by their dermatologist. I'm wondering why they don't just use Retin A then as that is a more potent and effective product. Retinol isn't as effective, but still delivers results. The first time I used this PC product my face was SO RED. It reacted angrily and I felt sunburned. My skin adjusted though and it did look smoother, The problem is, a lot of other PC products I use contain a bit of retinol in it and I felt my face was getting overloaded by it. It got red and angry whenever anytime was applied to it- which is a sign to me I was overdoing it. I use the bottle I have now once every week or so to give my face a break. It packs a punch though and does improve the look of my skin. I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve the look and texture of their skin. The pump is easy to use. However the bottle is opaque and it's hard to tell when you're running out of product. I'm taking off a lippie for that.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

My first Paula's Choice product and I am just like WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE??? Literally made my face glow from the first morning, my skin is really been perfect from using it. I did not get any peeling, probably because I have used retinols and AHA peels (Alpha H Sleep Power Peel which is 14% Glycolic Acid). But of the many retinols I have used, this is probably the first one I would repurchase. I haven't been this happy with results before! Also, I love the packaging- air tight and pump. This ensures the efficacy of the retinol, as that can degrade with exposure to air and light. I understand it's a little pricey, but I have a little face so I can use this longer. Also, PC's website has frequent sales and such so you could get it then! But regardless, I would highly recommend this. I would also love to try the other products from PC's range, seeing how well this works!

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this retinol since the start of the year and have noticed a huge difference! I have VERY sensitive skin and it's hard for me to find anything that works, so this is huge. I started slowly--1x per week and now use almost every night, before bed. I apply after washing, wait a few minutes, then Vanicream moisturizer on top. (Yes, very dry skin too.)
It has evened out my skin tone, and smoothed fine lines around eyes. AND, best of all, does not irritate my skin!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I sampled PC Clinical 1% Retinol as an alternative to prescription Atralin / Renova, and it seemed to work on my skin so I bought the full size. Although it has a smorgasbord of great skin care ingredients, including a clinically proven level of retinol, it ultimately did not work for me or my boyfriend. For me, it was dreadfully irritating after using it more regularly, which pretty much made it a no-go, despite the lovely formula. My boyfriend is more acne prone than I am, and using this for only a few days cased a cystic acne outbreak. I had long passed the return window, so I ended up using most of the product on my hands. I must say, that it improved the texture of my hands in short order--the skin was soft and plumped, so I know the product is effective. Sorry to say that I won't be repurchasing, but it might work for others.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is faster absorbing and has less silicone slip than the resist wrinkle retinol serum. I picked this up as a supplement to the PC retinol body ( as per the suggestion of other MUA reviews, I am using the latter for face). I am combination skin, tending towards dry, prone to hives and milia, but I do not have sensitive skin (I can tolerate AHA, BHA and retinol, including prescription strength without much redness, peeling or substantial purging). My main issue is dealing with skin texture, not wrinkles.

If you are unsure of your tolerance, I advise going very slowly and using a buffer of additional moisturizer. I choose not to layer products. I prefer to rotate between this and a few other PC products over the span of a week or so. (This also means I use far fewer products daily). I only apply to select areas of the face. In addition, when PC instructions say a "pea sized amount," I use less. This is available in sample sized format, if you are unsure. I also sometimes give my face a day of rest from active ingredients (i use Aquaphor or comparable CVS product or other light moisturizer. Recently i have used an inexpensive niacinamide serum lotion brand Gia Naturals. In the winter i use cerave cream to 'reset.')

In general, I prefer PC BHA or AHA formulations to PC retinols, but I do use PC products from all three categories.

Note: even OTC retinols may cause some people to purge. ( going very slowly into a new product may limit this possibility). If not, then you may want to use BHA or AHA (separately from retinol) to treat. IMO this gives results in a more cosmetically elegant manner than prescription. It's not as strong as prescription, but it also doesn't have the same risk of purging, peeling, redness or discomfort that prescription can entail.

This is a great retinol product. I've been using prescription retinol for about a year but the drying effects were so severe and didn't subside with time (I think it was the alcohol, which just devastates your skin anyway), so I needed something gentler. I swapped over to the neutrogena night time retinol cream, which worked well for the price, but decided a few months ago to switch over to cruelty-free cosmetics. In comes this guy. I don't normally like Paula's products because they tend to break me out most of the time, but this one's a keeper.

I have "smoker skin", which means I don't really have pimples, but my skin is blotchy, bumpy, congested and oily.

This product is pricey, but one bottle lasts me about 4 months with daily use. I use it only at night and gently rub one pump over my whole face. It spreads easily and I don't decent any scent. It makes my complexion noticeably smoother and more even toned. Reduced the blackheads and fine lines by around 70%. Doesn't break out my sensitive skin. Sometimes it'll dry my skin out, so maybe twice a week Ill rub a couple drops of argan oil on my face in the evenings, let it sink in, then apply the retinol. This seems to really help with the dryness. I saw noticeable results within a week.

Pump bottle is a pain in the butt, but retinol needs to be kept away from light and exposure to air otherwise it degrades. So many companies sell retinol products that are not properly packaged, so you're not getting the full benefits of retinol.

I'm a big fan. Will purchase as long as they make it.

I ordered a trial size of this product to try before committing to full size. Was concerned about sensitivity. I am happy to report after a few uses can see positive results. My skin is smoother and softer. I have combination skin with oily t-zone . Tried the Resist Retinol Serum but was not happy with the consistency. It didn't seem to absorb well. This is a cream and was absorbed quickly. Will definitely be purchasing the full size.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I reviewed resist 1% retinol booster recently to say I like that one better than this. But you know what, the booster is just crazily expensive ($52 for 0.5 oz). In comparison, this Clinical 1% retinol is way more cost-effective.
I thought I'm pretty retinol tolerated but oh man, after one week of diligent use of this retinol serum, my skin burns and breaks out badly. However, everything clears out within a week. I have no need for anti-wrinkle because I'm still young. But the acne has been killing me since I was 16. I tried everything on the market to make my acne better and finally I find my HG: retinol. I'm against using retinoid (the prescription drug) long time, so I keep using retinol to keep acnes at bay.
If you have acne-prone skin, definitly try high potency retinol.