3.8

price range

Reviews

3.0

3 years ago

I really don't know why i brought this brush I guess i just gave as the hype around oval brushes was huge so i decided to get mac one as most oval brushes are quite expensive and couldn't justify spending that much on a product! This is quite a small brush and works well to apply foundation, i have to say each time i use this brush i get compliments on my makeup as it looks quite flawless and smooth, unlike some tools/brushes it doesn't take away the coverage of the foundation. I would say if you have time on your hands and don't mind the extra effort then you might like this, however if you always in a rush and don't have time then skip this as you might yourself not reaching for this! I don't regret the purchase because i'm glad i tried it and to be honest it isn't a bad product i would much prefer using a normal brush!

About reviewer (133 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

3 years ago

OMG. This is like the BEST- and i mean BEST- brush for pressed powder contour-blush-highlight! Especially contour! Where has this been all my life??? First time these kind of brushes launched i thought they were silly just like everyone else thought they were. Didn't even think of owning one. Many many months passed and while binge watching beauty gurus on youtube i noticed that they were using artis brushes to blend foundation more than once-oh-so-popular beauty blender. MAC was on sale so i picked this up. I have to say, it didn't feel superior to BB in foundation department because of its small size. Since i was so curious about these kind of brushes, i splurged on an artis oval 7 and have been using this one for skincare. Today i visited how-to videos page of artis and saw the contouring tutorial with oval 6 (same size as this) and it looked effortless. For some reason never have i thought i could use this thingy with powder products. I went on to try it on my dry, no-makeup face and BOOM! Not once in my life have my contour looked this on-point and it really was effortless! I even used the dark Bahama Mama bronzer by the Balm and it went on sooooo smooth despite my bare face. Normally, the first time any regular brush touched my face it created a harsh line so i need to blend it a lot to make it smooth. But with this, due to its domed shape and dense packed bristles i guess, it placed the powder in a diffused form rather than a brown stripe.I applied like NO PRESSURE to the brush, i just guided it along the shape i wanted to draw. Absolutely zero effort there. Blush and highlight went smoothly as well, cleaning it by rubbing it on my hair donut to switch colors. This made me glad that i purchased both this brush and oval 7. I really hope oval 7 turns out more successful than this in applying foundation. I was "meh" about this brush until this morning and now i'm thinking of buying a spare with the discounted price. Conclusion: This is not good for foundation (due to small size and domed bristles) but superb for contour and good for blush and highlight!

About reviewer (68 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Coarse

3 years ago

I love this brush for applying mac's and nar's foundations. I never really liked regular or high end sponges like the beauty blender (waste product looks cakey), buffing brushes ( not possible with dry patchy skin, and peach fuzz etc...), or regular synthetic flat foundation brushes( just a waste time and product). I always prefer my hands. I got this a couple days ago and am in love. This isn't meant to be used like a buffing brush your suppose to glide it across the skin. And it just gives a beautiful even finish. The brush also pushes the foundation in the right way so it doesn't give you foundation mustache or apply unevenly like buffers or flat heads do, I think it's crazy how people actually like the buffers when your aways taught NOT to put foundation on like moisturizer and rub in circles it's counter productive and looks thick and makes wrinkles or blemishes like dry skin more noticeable....foundation isn't freaking car wax it's paint and your brush stroke is important and what makes it beautiful. I always prefer pats and downward strokes especially on the cheeks, and jaw areas. The brush really goes with the contours and the handle makes it easy to apply on clients. The only things is I don't think it can be used for everything it claims on the box I see only working for foundation. And while the handle is rather thin I don't think it will break if your using it normal, you would have to be really rough and heavy handed to break this but it could break if pushing down wayy took hard but then again wtf why are you apply your foundation with so much pressure. ???? lol makes no sense I call bs on the one reviewer I doubt mac would let you return it after half a year I think they broke it shortly after purchasing, then returned it and said six months to suit their review???? I thought it was one month return policy. Something up with that story. Also this comes in box which is great because I hate how mac is the cheapest on the brushes when it comes to packaging like a plastic sleeve that ain't even sealed wtf how is that okay like put all your brushes in some type of seal container ewww unhygienic. I will update after one month of full personal and client use but so far so much love for this guy.

About reviewer (58 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBlond

EyesGreen

2.0

6 years ago

This was a great brush during the six months it lasted. Then it broke. I called up the pro store and they said it was no problem to return it and I got my money back. Great brush, poor design. The handle is so thin and fragile near the brush head, that it will break after frequent use. As an alternative, I recommend the Mule Artist Curve Brush, available on eBay. I think the design is even better than the oval 6. The handle is sturdier and the brush head is slimmer, allowing it to get in tight spaces like around the nose.

About reviewer (57 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination

HairBrown

from

6 years ago

This new brush by MAC is great for spreading thick foundations so that you get a very blended coverage. It tends to spread liquid and cream foundations very well. Unlike paddle foundation brushes that give a thin application this brush tends to spread it out. If you use say, a pea- sized amount of foundation you get a thin coverage but evened out complexion you can build up to medium or full coverage if you want. Also one notable thing is that the MAC oval 6 brush tends to mattify the face with foundation application. I tried the Chanel Matt Lumiere and Le Metier De Beaute foundations with it and it mattified the heck out of them but gave a full, natural coverage. So this brush would be great to use in the summertime when the face tends to be a little oilier than normal.I love it the most with cream and pressed powder foundations as you can build it up and get a nice medium to full coverage. My only gripe is that since the bristles at the base of the brush head is held by glue you cannot deep clean it as often as you want to. I tried to spot clean it the first few days and I believe it did a good job of cleaning up...until I decided to do a little cleaning with water and foaming brush cleanser....I decided the best way to not ruin the brush would be to hold it flat with the bristles facing downward and just cleaning half of the area so that water does not touch the base of the bristles and you cannot believe how much gunk came out...spot cleaning my foot! Apart from this little eye-opener it has done a good job of being a top foundation brush among all the others!! Edit: I found out that this brush is good for certain foundations..say Nars sheer glow, Kevyn Aucoin skin enhancer and bb creams! Its great for all kinds of bb and cc creams...great for say, the Bobbi Brown stick foundation..yes, great with all kinds of creams and stick foundations ! However it can make some sheer foundations look too sheer because of the dense shape of the bristles. I did not like it with the Chanel Vitalumiere foundation! It mattifies some foundations so that it does not look pretty..makes your face feel dry! Also I noticed that it is best to just kinda skim or slide the brush on the face lightly...if you just rub it harshly the foundation may settle in your pores making your face look or give you dry patches...umm..not so attractive! Is this brush a necessity? If you are a novice and don't have too many brushes and would love something different and fun..this is the brush for you! If you have a lot of high end brushes that give you flawless looks you love...then this is not a must-have!

About reviewer (43 reviews)

Age36-43