Stila Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eye Shadow with Primer

on 10/17/2016 6:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

It's too expensive for 2 gr shimmer eyeshadow and lil bit eye primer. Sadly for my $ 32. If you love the shimmer effect on youreyes, I think this is the best choice for you. But really I don't know it's worth for my every pennies. I love another stila products but not this. It's way too expensive.

this is a super overpriced eyeshadow, the colors are gorgeous which I see as the only pro, but I still will not repurchase it is really chunky and application with a brush will not help. I tried to use the included primer but it stings so I tossed that. since I paid soo much for it and I can't return it, I now use it as a body glitter.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

on 12/12/2015 8:29:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I bought this at Ulta for $32 in the shade Pixie Dust. It is GORGEOUS. It might be a little difficult and confusing to apply for some, but I did a lot of research before my purchase. I suggest you go on the Stila website and watch their tutorial on the different ways to apply. Here'e my method:

So first and foremost, a little bit goes a really long way, at least with this shade, which is an iridescent ivory, I can't speak for any of the darker shades, but I'll update if I end up purchasing any of them. I put one drop of the primer onto the tray, and dipped my ring finger in and lightly tapped it on my lid, making sure not to go over the crease. I then waited about 15 seconds, and VERY lightly dipped my finger in the shadow and once again VERY lightly tapped the shadow on my lid where the primer was, and repeated the process on my other eye. There was no fallout, the primer along with a gentle, light handed application, was very efficient. When I swatched it at the store sans primer the glitter went EVERYWHERE. I was seriously covered in glitter, so it's very important that you use the primer. I would definitely suggest sticking with the primer it came with, since it's liquid and really absorbs into the shadow- something that a cream primer wouldn't do.
I have pretty large eyelids, yet one drop of the primer covered both lids. I can't stress enough that A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. One layer of the shadow had amazing color payoff, and judging by how it sits on the lid, i would avoid doing a second layer because at that point it would probably get pretty flaky.

In a few of the reviews I read there were people who didn't like the formula, and said that it dented easily. This happens only if you push it too hard. This is a very unique formula, and (sorry I'm being so repetitive, but it's seriously so important) it's meant to be used gently. If you use it properly it should last you a really long time. Finger application is truly the best way to go, I tried it with a couple of brushes and it doesn't give the desired effect. If you insist on applying it with a brush use a flat synthetic concealer brush that's about the same width as your ring finger. If you decide to get this in a darker color, have a matte shadow in the same color to diffuse the edges, because it's not really meant to blend.

You can also mix the primer and shadow in the tray and then apply it to you lid for a sheer wash of color.

I'll definitely be purchasing this in more shades as time goes on. It's so unique and beautiful that I think it's worth the price, especially since it come with the primer and a mixing tray. Definitely do your research (watch the tutorial) before you purchase so you make sure that it's right for you!!

on 5/26/2015 8:31:00 PM

I just don't get it! This product was messy and difficult to apply. When I finally got it on my lid it was spotty and looked like I put craft glitter on my eye...not for me

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I was totally in love with the concept of this product when it first came out. I watched Stila′s tutorials and advertisements and couldn't believe how gorgeous the results were. Until I bought it myself. I have owned a few different shades for a very long time now, at least a year so I made sure I tried applying the product in every way possible. I usually use loose glitter/pigment and use Too Faced′s Glitter Glue or Urban Decays Glitter Base and that usually works out great for me regardless if it′s MAC glitter, Wet N Wild, etc. The ″primer″ that comes with these are way too small, especially with trial and error. According to Stila you are supposed to use the pan provided and mix the two together. I tried that, and it was a disaster. Within minutes it wasn't just creasing but it was literally separating and the texture was very chunky and uneven. I tried using less primer, I tried using more - same problem. I do NOT have oily lids but my eyes are a bit smaller but I never had a problem with creasing with any other glitter kits. I tried using my finger which in my opinion is the most efficient application but it′s incredibly messy so I suggest doing this before you apply foundation etc. I tried applying the glitter completely dry without any base or glitter glue and that was a disaster because the lasting power was basically nonexistent. I tried mixing the glitter with MACs Fix + and applying it over my eyes primed with Glitter Glue and it was actually nice at first! The Fix +made it smoother and easier to apply with a brush. Before I even got to my car they were completely creasing and there was glitter ALL over my eyeliner/eyelashes. It essentially erased my cat eye. I am super bummed out because I wanted to love this so bad and I will continue to try to salvage this product and try out whatever remaining possibilities there are although Im pretty sure Ive tried it all. The glitter itself is a very weird texture. It almost looks like its going to be a dense block or sort of like a creme shadow. Once you actually touch the product its VERY smushy and caves in so you have to use sort of a light hand. A very unique product and I wish it worked for me, especially after the 32$ I spent on these I am sorely disappointed.

on 2/14/2015 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is an amazing product. I am a huge advocate of anything glittery or sparkly and therefore this is heaven for me. But not only that, it is just a beautiful product. The texture is very odd to describe. It is a powder, but it is so smooth and emollient it could almost be a cream. If you push down too hard on it, quite a large amount of product comes out because it is so soft, but it is easy to pat right back in. Seriously, an odd but lovely texture. The pigment is also really cool, too. You can apply it very sheerly so it looks like a glitter or you can apply it full on so it looks like a pigmented metal on the eyes. It's a chameleon and I've never seen anything like it. I like to apply it both alone or on top of other eyeshadow. It lasts on me, but most eye products do so I don't really know how to judge it. I could see it creasing on someone with oilier lids if they didn't use a primer because it is so creamy. The one problem I have is that if you're not careful, you can end up with glitter all over your face. Not because of fallout but just because glitter is inherently messy. But if you are careful and make sure your fingers and hands keep away from your cheeks and all, you'll be fine. The other problem I have is that it is very hard to apply with a brush when dry, and since I never use this wet I always use my fingers (which as I said can be messy). But my goodness, this goes down in my top three favorite eyeshadows because it is angelic and beautiful. If you're a fan of glitter, shimmer, or metallic finishes you will love this. But I recommend this to everyone, because even if you only like matte shadows this could be a beautiful way to spruce up your look or try something new. It sure makes for a lovely addition to any Christmas look ;)

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am so baffled when I see bad reviews for this product - it's amazing! I own it in six colours: Kitten, Comex Gold, Vintage Black Gold, Metallic Emerald, Metallic Lavender, and Metallic Merlot. All pretty self explanatory colours, except Kitten, which is a lovely champagney coloured shimmer.

A lot of people seem to have had problems with the primer that comes with the shadow. Firstly, I have heard that Stila have redesigned the packaging, and it doesn't evaporate as quickly now. Personally, I've only opened one rather than all six, the five that are still sealed are absolutely fine, the one that's been opened for nearly a year is starting to look a little thick, but that seems reasonable after such a long time. But I think the key thing to remember here is that YOU DO NOT NEED THE PRIMER for this eyeshadow (mine is only opened as I use it with the MAC loose glitter).

Don't try and apply the eyeshadow with a brush. It just won't work. Sometimes I run it under my lower lash line with a very thin liner brush, but for the most part, you're better off with your fingers.

There are two ways to wear this shadow - block colour or a shimmer wash. I do both. I always use Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer to start. Apply "normal" eyeshadow (in a similar colour to the Stila Magnificent Metals) to get your basic smoky eye.

For the block colour finish, reach for the Stila product, and apply with your index finger. Dab your finger in the pot (not too hard, it's softer than it looks), and paint it on your eyelids. Remember, you're going for solid colour, so you want it feeling creamy and looking solid. Arch your eyebrows and close your eyes until it's dry - maybe a minute or so. When dry, it will feel smooth and powdery, like a new pressed powder eyeshadow compact. Finish with liquid eyeliner as you usually would.

If you want more of a gentle shimmer, repeat as above, but dab your finger in the Stila product much more gently. I would suggest practising on the back of your hand, but you basically just need to gently sweep your finger across the area you want the shimmer. The real key here is to have hardly any on your finger tip, it's better to keep going back for a little more. Practice makes perfect here, but it's really not difficult to get the hang of. This method of application is my favourite, because it really shows off the complexity of colour, and the truly magnificent depth of sparkle.

I really cannot recommend this product highly enough - yes, it's expensive, but when it's on your eyes, it LOOKS expensive! I get compliments every time I wear it, and it's my go to product for that really complex beautiful red carpet sparkle. It's such a high quality product, I've just never come across anything that shimmers in quite the same way, and it really stays put (I've come home drunk and fallen asleep face down in the pillow - next morning? Still perfect!). If you're new to it, start with Kitten, because it's so versatile, but you will probably find a use for all the different shades!

on 12/10/2014 5:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I want to love this. It LOOKS awesome on - I LOVE the shiny foil effect it gives with a lot of primer. The issue is the little tiny thing of primer that wasn't full to begin with and then it actually just evaporated from the bottle. I didn't have it long, there wasn't a spill because it was upright on a shelf and yet there was no primer left. I was really disappointed AND you CAN'T purchase the primer separately. You can't use the eye shadow without the primer, it is dry and chunky. Oh, and Stila doesn't care at all, I tried contacting them, they don't even respond.

on 9/24/2014 7:21:00 PM

I love the way this product looks but for me to apply it and get it to look the way it's supposed to; is to just use my finger and not use the primer. The primer is too messy but the end result is the most intense eye shadow I've ever seen that's not just pure glitter.The price is crazy though...$32 for this is way too much.

on 7/6/2014 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Since this product's debut, it has received quite the mixed bag of opinions, so here's mine:

The idea: A highly metallic, cream-fusion eyeshadow, that when mixed with a drop of the provided primer, creates a beautiful foiled finish on the eye.

-Takes a bit of time to figure out what works best for you. I have been told by various sources to apply with your finger, apply with a brush, use with the primer, use without the primer, etc. I have found that I like this best when I drop a little primer into the eyeshadow itself and then mix it slightly with a flat, synthetic brush and then apply to my eye. Using your finger is less precise, but works well at packing on the color.
-The vile of primer is veryyyy small and will inevitably run out before you run out of the eyeshadow itself. I remedied this by replacing the primer with my MAC's Fix+, and it worked just as well.
-Some shades are definitely chunkier than others, namely the lighter shades. My shade in Metallic Dusty Rose, no matter how beautiful, never quite lays down smoothly. I get that it's supposed to be foiled, but it kind of just looks chunky and gross.
-The price: $32 plus tax for something as small and flawed as this is kind of a blow to your wallet.

-When you finally figure out how to use these, they are truly beautiful, and I have nothing else like them in my whole makeup collection. I always get compliments when I wear them, particularly the shade Titanium, and they are a great way to spice up your makeup!