CHANEL Allure for women

CHANEL Allure for women
Allure for womenAllure for women

on 2/10/2019 6:22:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

It feels unfair to rate a fragrance badly, because scent perception and interpretation is so subjective...but to me, it was disappointing enough to feel many others too would expect something else entirely from Chanel, and from the various descriptions and ratings of allure.

Mine was a gift...that I gave away after giving it a fair trial.

The cirtus in this bothered me the most, as it is dominant (to me), I don't like citrus to being with, and allure has a "strange" take on it as well. Like someone who previously reviewed it, I also felt it was strongly reminiscent of insecticide- Biokill, Autan, Off, I felt it shared a note with them all. True, it was mostly the opening and middle notes where this was perceptible, so I sprayed it on a clean shirt and hung it outside on a windy night (the bothersome note refused to go away otherwise), curious what it would smell like in the morning. I didn't get the base notes, in the morning it was just a sour lemon scent.

Strangely, when I tried spraying it on paper, it wasn't bad, there was a sweetness and warmth to it, surrounding a floral heart, I would've liked it if it smelled like that on my skin or clothes. But it didn't. I don't know if that's just me, or a "thing" with Allure, but to be on the safe side, I would advise those who are buying at the counter to not rely on a tester strip alone.

The mentions by some reviewers of warmth, vanilla, elegance don't surprise me, due to how mine smelled on paper, but i'm a little irritated that it performed so differently on everything else.

It does have a peculiar synthetic vibe also. I dislike using that description because " that annoying synthetic vibe" is so different in all of the fragrances that sport it, so I know it doesn't tell you much. But I know I recognize it from the nineties, probably smelled it on allure wearers. I am not sure, but I think it is a non stellar result of poorly done rose+sandalwood. "Poorly" done in my own opinion because it takes me intense olfactory gymnastics to recognize it as rose and sandalwood, it's not how they're done in any other perfume I know- but that might be what makes it likeable to those who dislike the usual effect of these notes.

I do not recognize a Chanel "signature" in this, but then, my chanel experience is limited. I think it might make it likeable to those who haven't had luck with other chanels, but I personally can't get over the bugspray, synthetic, sour lemon on rose and sandalwood compost. Consider yourself lucky if it resembles the paper strip smell on you, it's much nicer!

Definitely try before buying. I don't think it's a very safe gift (unless the recipient has specified they like it), it seems to be experienced very differently by different people.

Lasts a really long time, scent is a personal choice, pretty pricey.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Not for me. I don’t like jasmine and it’s presented in most Chanel fragrances including Allure.
I find the scent to be commercial, not as unique as niche fragrances. It’s generic. A bit artificial and cheap for the price.
Not a bad scent by any means, but nothing to be excited about.

on 8/28/2017 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other

This perfume smells like heaven

on 7/1/2017 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Absolutely beautiful! Clean, warm, powdery and strong. It's a calm strong though. I spritz behind both ears and 1 wrist...lasts all day...FACT!! I received this when it came out in the late 90s from a family I babysat for. I would wear it to cheerleading and all the girls loved it! I have several others...but always come back to this as well. Any season really. It's heavy...but that is nice when applied right! Lovely classic!

I started wearing Allure in the late nineties and have used it off and on , along with several other favorites. I recently purchased TWO Bottles, the EDP and the EDT. The liquid in the bottle has turned colors and barely has a smell . I will not purchase this again. This was a love, but I caution buyers to save the receipts for the perfumes they purchase . There are new regulations on perfumers, and buyers are getting many watered down scents with no warning . REALLY WATERED DOWN! ( Check outEstee Lauder Beautiful and Euphoria , which smell like water now . I am not being harsh - I am speaking truth to unsuspecting buyers .

This is bait and switch in a painful way ,

on 2/19/2017 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I tried this at Bloomingdale's. The EDP I tried had a really pretty, light aura of citrus, honeysuckle, jasmine, and a vanilla-musk base. I thoroughly enjoyed this for the 30 minutes it lasted on skin and clothing, before dying off to a rather harsh, cheap bathroom cleanser note that was barely discernible.

on 11/4/2016 8:05:00 PM

Another masterpiece messed up with. This used to be a wonderful perfume (EDT), my signature along with Estee Lauder Beautiful. Where has its lovely creaminess gone, whatever happened to its versatility and staying power? Even for someone used to its smell, the changes over the years are noticeable. The current formulation is a deplorable shadow of the original. Nice smell, yes, but linear, uninteresting and it barely lasts more than an hour or two. Go for the vintage or at least before 2012 bottles, you will not regret it!

on 7/11/2016 11:14:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really feel like someday Allure will be looked upon as a classic like No 5. It is very unique and individual on each person that wears it (as someone below pointed out). For me, it's a warm blend of vanilla and powder, with soft floral notes. I don't find it terribly strong, but I do get compliments when I wear it. I like both the EDT and the EDP, but I prefer the EDP, it is a bit deeper and closer to my skin. The EDT seems to be sparkling and a bit fresher.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I've used a number of fragrances since my teens, and just like my Mum I have found that there are very few which smell good on me. For some reason my body chemistry turns most scents to a smell which can only be described as like cat pee! My Mum finally settled on Chanel No 5, as that never turned on her and always smelt wonderful - I still find the smell of it comforting, but I can never wear it as it reminds me too much of her.

In my early 20s I settled on Gio, not long after it was released, and although I now find it quite a heavy perfume it suited me at the time. I've never worn perfume frequently and I found that Gio was too heavy for daily wear, so I still have that first bottle! By 1996 I was working in the Duty Free shop at the Channel Tunnel and was looking for a new perfume, after my crew had a particularly successful month we were given a choice of a perfume tester bottle, and I'd had my eye on XS Pour Elle as it was a lighter fragrance and more suited to my tastes at that time. So I ended up with a large bottle of that to wear as an everyday scent. But just as with other perfumes, after a few hours of wear I tended to find that XS turned and became quite heavy on me - and gave me headaches - again, I still have that original bottle.

Knowing that my Mum had the same problem, and only Chanel worked for her, I was pleased when Allure was released because I had already decided Chanel was going to be my best shot at a good scent, and Allure sounded like a younger fragrance. I also wanted a Chanel which would smell like me, and not like my Mum! I took a day trip to France with my then fiance (now husband) and he encouraged me to try the Allure, if it suited me we would buy a bottle. The idea was that we would take our day trip and if we both liked the scent by the return journey we would buy a bottle on our way home - but by the time we'd gone round the Duty Free shop we already knew that this was THE fragrance for me, and bought a bottle of the Eau de Toilette there and then. I still have that bottle - and it's still as good as ever! I only wear it for special occasions, and need the smallest amount - I find that it lasts well into the next day. It's the only fragrance that I've found to work consistently with my body chemistry. I also love that it's available in so many formats, and particularly love the Bath Gel. I bought myself another bottle of that when I took a trip to the Channel Islands a couple of weeks ago, as I love it for a special pampering bath. My husband still loves it when I wear Allure, he says it smells like me...

It was interesting to read that this scent was developed so that it would work with a person's body chemistry to create a unique fragrance. Clearly Chanel's fragrance team had people like me in mind, and I am so grateful that this perfume was created. I really don't know what I'd do without it. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who has had problems with other perfumes turning.