Timeless Skin Care 20% Vitamin C Serum + Vitamin E + Ferulic Acid

Water, Ethoxydiglycol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol, Alpha Tocopherol, Polysorbate 80, Panthenol, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Benzylalcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Fragrance

This is an affordable vitamin C serum that succeeded in lightening my age spots. Here's a summary of the goods and bads based on my experience.

What's Great?

2. No Visible Firming

Full review, before-after photos and product recommendation at bit.ly/2G6NAnK

on 3/23/2018 10:21:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I don't like how watery the texture is and I prefer a pump. Will not repurchase.

If you're wondering "How does this compare to SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic?", I'll go into more detail about that at the end of my review. I've been using the Timeless vitamin C formula for a couple of years now, and have gone through multiple bottles. When I stop using it, my skin looks and feels like something is missing from my routine. I've never had dark spots or age spots, but using a proper vitamin C serum just makes my skin brighter and gives it more of a glow. I'm hoping it will prevent some visible signs of aging (since vitamin C is an antioxidant), and ward off any future dark spots/age spots. I also like using vitamin C because it increases the SPF of sunscreen by about 8 (not 8 times - just SPF 8). So, if I wear an SPF of 40 and apply it properly, using a vitamin C serum underneath would boost that to a total SPF of 48. Again, my goal is to prevent visible signs of aging, so increasing the SPF of my sunscreen is a nice bonus for me. I do have dry, sensitive skin, and I found this serum to be irritating at first. However, I jumped into everyday use right away, and I'm also on Retin-A (which increases the amount of irritation I experience from other products). After a week or so, the irritation subsided, with no lingering ill effects. This serum has yet to break me out or clog my pores, even though it does contain hyaluronic acid (other Timeless serums, which usually combine hyaluronic acid and glycerin, tend to clog my pores). The consistency is very light and watery, so it layers well with other products. Also, it isn't as sticky as other vitamin C serums I've used, and it has minimal odor (most vitamin C serums smell very...metallic). Overall, it's a borderline HG product for me that doesn't seem too harsh for my skin or interfere with other products.

So, I took away one lippie only because of the dropper packaging...WHY skincare brands package vitamin C in a dropper, I will never understand, but most liquid vitamin C serums are packaged this way (yes, even SkinCeuticals). I digress. To combat the problem of dropper packing, I just switch out the cap to a pump-top when I open a new bottle. The Timeless bottle is a 1 oz blue apothecary bottle, which you can buy on Amazon quite inexpensively and with almost any lid you want (pump, sprayer, roll-on, etc). I got a pack of 1oz glass pump-top bottles, and the pump tops fit perfectly on my Timeless serums! Using a pump drastically cuts down on the amount of air your serum is exposed to; it only gets exposed to air ONE time, when you initially open the bottle and change the top, instead of hundreds of times when you use the product every day. Obviously, this is the next best thing to an airless pump. Since I started using the pump top, my serum has oxidized more slowly than before, although I've never had a Timeless vitamin c serum oxidize to the point that it would no longer be effective. FYI - the color should be a light yellow for most of the time that you use this product. It will start out completely clear, then take on a bit of a yellowish tinge - this is normal and is not actually oxidation. When it becomes more orangey than yellow, it's oxidizing, and will eventually turn amber or even brown (again, I've never had one from Timeless that went orange or brown). Just wanted to clarify that the initial yellowing isn't truly oxidation.

From a chemistry standpoint, this particular vitamin C serum is almost identical to SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic, with very few differences. One of the main differences is that Timeless starts out at a pH of 2.4, and as the product "ages", it eventually reaches 3.4-3.5 around the 6 month mark (when used with the dropper bottle). SkinCeuticals also uses a dropper bottle, but their formulation includes an extra pH stabilizing ingredient to hold the pH in the 2.5-3.0 range. This specific pH range is patented by SkinCeuticals, so other brands cannot manufacture serums that *start out* in the 2.5-3.0 range...however, as I noted above, the Timeless formulation starts out at a lower pH and then creeps into the same range as SkinCeuticals, then to the upper end of the effective range. I've never had a bottle of Timeless vitamin C serum reach a pH higher than 3.4 or 3.5 before I used it up, which is a good thing - vitamin C serum needs to be applied at a pH of 3.5 or lower to be effective. The lower "starting pH" of the Timeless version may make it a bit more irritating than SkinCeuticals, but this effect should be temporary. You can minimize irritation by gradually working your way up to daily application. As with any acidic product, you don't want to jump straight into everyday use (really, do as I say, not as I do, haha). As with any skincare product - buyer beware. There are several counterfeit/unauthorized resellers of both SkinCeuticals and Timeless online, particularly on Amazon, eBay, etc. Unauthorized resellers are notorious for shipping out SUPER old stuff, so only order from the brands directly or through their authorized reseller links! Timeless ships their products for free in the US, and I'm thinking SkinCeuticals does, too. Probably 99% of the negative reviews I've seen on Amazon, for any vitamin C serum, are about the pH being too high...well Susan, it's because you bought an old bottle from a shady reseller for 50% of the standard price, without questioning the source ;)

For more info on vitamin C serums, FutureDerm has a few in-depth posts on the topic. If you're interested in the medical research on topical vitamin C serums, Dr. Dray (the YouTuber) has a good video about it. I suggest checking out both sources and deciding for yourself if it's worth using vitamin C at all. The research is pretty limited at this point, but I do see a difference in my own skin, so I've chosen to keep using it. However, due to the limited evidence for its efficacy, I choose not to pay $162+ for it (looking at you, SkinCeuticals...).

on 3/6/2018 8:37:00 AM

Skin type: aging, dry, dehydrated, sensitive, reactive (not rosacea).

I was on the fence about buying/trying vitamin C only because I was nervous my skin would react since it's so sensitive and although I take very good care of my skin, aging is a b*tch and my skin was just looking dull(ish). After much research, I landed on the Timeless (close second: NuFountain but I couldn't find a place that would ship to Canada #rude).

I started with applying every 2-3 days since I'd read that some reacted badly; this is the very first product I use in the AM after I splash water on my face...no reaction upon application and no reaction a few days after. I started applying every AM and have been since....my skin is amazing - soft, bright, more even-toned. You don't need a lot either - just a few drops and it absorbs very fast. No weird smell and doesn't discolour my face/hands.

I do wrap the bottle in foil and store in the fridge which is a bit of a hassle but I read that this really helps slow the oxidation process. So far, so good (it's been about a month since I got it).

This is amazing stuff! I found out about it on "Hot & Flashy"s YouTube channel. It is stronger than a lot of vitamin C that you can pay 3 times as much for. You have to at least try it!

on 2/27/2018 1:21:00 AM

Many years ago my esthtetician recommended Skin Ceuticles Vit C, E ferulic acid serum and Differin to clear my acne and improve my skin tone. Note about my skin- I am oily, with sensitive skin, redness and acne prone. After a short time my skin improved significantly. skin ceuticals is too expensive for my budget, and so I discontinued after the first bottle was depleted. Differin works well, but I like the glow and translucency of my skin when using a Vit C serum. I started gathering the ingredients to make my own serum based upon the SC formulation, which is patented for the formulation in a particular Ph range, 2.5-3. Before I finished my research I found the Timeless version. The website states that their serum has a Ph of 2.4. I've never tested the accuracy, but the serum works as well for me as the SC version but at a family friendly price. I should test one of these days.

Routine: I apply at night after washing my face with a mild product, but something that will remove the silicones in most makeup and sunscreens, then pat vit C serum on my face and neck, allow my skin to absorb it for about 20 min, and then apply differin. I use a niacinimide sunscreen, Elta MD 46, in the day. Don't combine niacinimide and vit C serums. They reduce each other's effectiveness.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I do not have sensitive or acne prone skin, fyi. I used this product for nearly a month. I used it daily in the mornings. It didn't cause any irritation, however, I also didn't notice any big improvement in the overall quality of my skin while using it, but that may have been because I didn't use it long enough.

My issue with this product is that it oxidized badly on my skin. Despite the fact that the product itself wasn't oxidized before applying, and the fact that I followed it up with occlusive products, it still oxidized every time I used it. At the end of the day when I would oil cleanse my face and wipe it with a white flannel, I could see the brownish yellow streaks from the Vitamin C serum. It also got to the point where it seemed like I was getting a fake tan effect, which happens as the Vitamin C breaks down into the same active components in fake tanners. On my super pale skin, that was an absolute no-go. There's no benefit to me in using a lightening/radiance serum that's going to make me look like an oompa loompa.

on 1/18/2018 1:49:00 PM

Definitely a must have that I will keep repurchasing forever or until I found a better one.

This serum is very watery and easy to spread, it has no smell and doesn't leave a greasy/tacky residue on the face unlike the CSS one, yet it delivers a 20% concentration of L-Ascorbic Acid (best form of vitamin C for the skin) + vitamin E + Ferulic Acid which both enhance vitamin C efficacy and lifespan.

After a few days of using it, I noticed a huge improvement in my skin texture, as well as a permanent "glow"/healthy shine to my face.

Personally I definitely consider this product as an absolute must-have, along with a daily SPF and Retin-A/Tretinoin.

VERY IMPORTANT : Being an antioxidant, this serum must be used at NIGHT contrary to the popular belief, otherwise it gets destroyed by UV rays if you wear it during daytime, even if you wear an SPF.

Therefore my personal routine goes like this :

Morning : cleanse my face gently with simple rosewater and then apply my daily moisturizer with SPF 50+ in it.

Evening : cleanse my face with a gentle cleanser (without soap) to remove the remaining sunscreen, pat my face dry and apply this serum to my face, neck and hands.
I then wait an hour and apply my Tretinoin. Finally I wait another hour an apply a heavy moisturizer to counteract any Tretinoin-induced irritation.

PS : L-Ascorbic Acid being EXTREMELY unstable and prone to oxydation, I highly advise that you keep this serum inside its packaging and in your FRIDGE when you're not using it. This way I NEVER EVER had any of my vit C serum oxydize ;)

Best of luck my beautiful people! <3

on 12/18/2017 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

So bummed, this burned the crap out of my skin. It took a few weeks of daily use and then my under eyes got super creasy and dry, and my eyelids got dry, and then everything just started to burn. It got better as soon as I stopped using it. Because of the number of good reviews, I suspect my skin doesn’t like this, as opposed to it being a patently bad product. But just a heads up, some skin doesn’t like this Serum at all!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I’ve been using this for two weeks. I have used the Mad Happie C Serum which provided no results, and the Cosmetic Skin Solutions one which had an annoying texture and smell. This one is more cosmetically elegant and I can already see brightening effects. Will post updates!

Update 12/18/2017: Wow! I have been using this stuff once or twice daily for the last few weeks and have already noticed a big difference. My skin looks brighter and much more even toned. I have had irritation and breakouts with vitamin C serums in the past but have not experienced any of this with Timeless so far.

Update 2/7/2018: I am a huge fan of this product. My freckles are gone and my face is even toned. Still using my first bottle.

Very important to continue to use sunscreen daily when using this product to avoid reversing any lightening effects. And reapply! No one wants to put on another layer of sunscreen on their face midday every day and I have found that a great way to add a layer of sun protection is to use a face powder with SPF. Physician’s Formula makes a few great ones.