Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

Liz Earle Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish

3.9

Not tested on animals

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Amazing!!!!!!!!!! Nothing takes off my makeup like cleanse and polish. Leaves my skin beautifully clean and soft and also doesn't make my skin red at all which most cleansers do to my skin. I use the entire line including haircare now as everything I try ends up being amazing.

Just lovely. An absolute pleasure to use.

It melts into the skin and removes all makeup without a problem. I'd go so far as to say it laughs in the face of makeup.

I use it with a flannel washcloth for added exfoliation, and all that good jazz.

I'm on my third one. I got the starter kit, which is the original I got a 200ml tube in the original version. Then the jasmine & osmanthus version. Both versions smell gorgeous. I can't wait to get my hot little hands other special editions, like Rose & Cedrat.

It has greatly improved the texture and appearance of my normal to oily, spot-prone skin.

(However, full disclosure: before I started using it, I didn't have any skincare regime whatsoever, so that could account for the improvement. If I did wash my face, it was in the shower with shower gel, followed by using whatever cheap body lotion I was using. Or sometimes I used baby wipes. In my defence, I wasn't a big makeup wearer.)

I've tried two or three other balms but this is by far the best.

This bad boy (girl?) has changed my life! Can't say enough good things about it.

To Read all 445 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I LOVE this! I have become quite the fan of European skincare and fragrance products as they are great for my sensitive skin. This is creme de la creme for me.

It does remove light makeup but if you use a full face of it or a really longwearing and/or full-coverage foundation, you will likely need to cleanse twice or with two cleansers.

I use it as directed but with using a regular washcloth as opposed to the muslin, as I exfoliate chemically (Pixi Glow Tonic) more often than doing anything physical with a cloth or a scrub. This doesn't irritate my skin and leaves it clean but soft-feeling and helps to lessen the severity of the inevitable hormonal breakouts and to take them down quickly. Rinse off well as the formula is thick, but your skin, if like mine, will feel so soft.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried time and time again with this cleanser and it really doesn't work for me. In fact I blame it for my having being so lazy when cleansing my face!
As a regular Liz Earle customer over the years I have been sent numerous trial size Cleanse and Polishes, it being lauded as their top product. I've only ever found it OK but hey, it's Liz Earle, everybody raves about it so it must be good so I've carried on using it. People have also bought it for me as a gift ("she likes Liz Earle, she must like this!") hence it has been my cleanser for years-though the reality has been that I've actually been using makeup wipes rather than this most of the time! This has only really been used when I suddenly think "I really should take my skincare more seriously and cleanse properly". Then it's such a faff that after a day or so I return to the lazy girl's solution of makeup wipes.
My experience of using this is that if you use it to remove makeup the muslin cloth is filthy after one use so has to be machine washed so you have to have several cloths to hand. When I'm tired and off to bed the last thing I want to faff about with is a wet, dirty facecloth-don't want to put it in my laundry basket when wet (don't want damp smelling washing if I don't get chance to launder it next day) so what do I do with it? After several washes the cloths become less soft too.
The product itself is just OK (but apparently the [massively inconvenient] cloths are what make it so magical so that's to be expected?? It stings if it gets in your eyes (and invariably it gets in your eyes when you're trying to remove eye makeup) and afterwards my skin feels a bit tight like I've used soap and water. Not great for dry skin types like mine.
Even the pump dispenser clogs (though probably because I leave it so long between uses) and you lose product that has solidified when you press it when you first use it.
I've now given my skincare regime a complete overhaul, discovered a far superior cleanser (Clarins Pure Melt) and this product is now consigned to the bin!
I've given 2 lippies because it's never broken me out and surely, if it were so bad, I wouldn't have used it for so many years-though when I compare it to my newfound cleanser I wonder what the hell I was doing!

on 2/20/2016 1:33:00 PM

This is the hot-cloth cleanser I go back to time and time again. Imitations are nowhere near as good. Smells lovely, which encourages you to use it even if you're tired, takes eye make up off well and although expensive a little goes along way. Comes off clean with a muslin or flannel. I especially like it when they release a limited edition fragrance.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

After trying a few acid exfoliants that irritated my skin, I thought of reverting to gently manual exfoliation. I decided it would be a good idea to use a hot cloth cleanser, because the action of the cloth can act as a gently physical exfoliation.

After many skincare disappointments, I went to Boots determined to buy a tiny travel size of this cleanser. I really wasn't sure if it would be for me because of all the essential oils in it. Anyway, the lady in the counter was fabulous, cleansed my skin with this cleanser and applied tonic, serum and moisturiser on my skin. I must admit that my skin was a bit red and sore when she finished cleansing but I attributed it to the fact that she was really rough with the cloth, really scrubbing my face, whereas I am very gentle with my skin. I was also under a lot of stress having just come out of an exam. I noticed how lovely the tonic smelled and the serum was lovely with no silicone. My biggest pet hate in skincare is a silicone infused serum. I cannot understand how companies think that is acceptable. But going back to the topic, the moisturiser felt lovely on my skin, fresh, hydrating and smelled amazing. I had been using fragrance free Eucerin lotion during the day and fragrance free Eucerin cream at night, so I immediately noticed how lovely these products smelled. I ended up buying a travel try me kit (cleanser, moisturiser, tonic and mask) because she reassured me she would accept the products back if they didn't work for me. Well, as soon I have the time I will return the products...

The cleanser is really nice, yet it smells very strongly of eucalyptus which is never a good sign. I used the whole system for two days and a half and my skin got blotchy, I got lots of tiny bumps on my forehead and some red dots on the side of my chin and cheeks which I have never had before. My pores were also looking huge. I must say I used the products correctly, being careful to remove makeup before using the cleanser.

Again, I made the mistake of trying a new system all at once and so now I don't know which product it's to blame. But to be honest I don't care. I just want to return all the products and get my money back. Yes, my Eucerin moisturisers are bland and boring, but I am starting to realise more and more that if it smells good, it doesn't belong on my face. I know there is a lot of scientific evidence regarding fragrance and skin sensitivities but I have to admit that some unfragranced products have caused me trouble (Clinique, for example) whereas some fragranced products worked well. Of course it's not as black and white as that but it is a fact that some of the essential oils included in skincare don't do what it is believed that they do (or at least, no one has ever been able to prove it) yet have been found to be irritating. I am a Science student so I have access to many scientific journals, which is where I get my information from.

Just a note regarding hot water, I know many people these days think that the only way to cleanse a face properly is with cloths/flannels and hot water. I couldn't disagree more. I think hot water should never be used on one's face. It's drying and irritating. The combination of hot water and rough use of cloths to cleanse the face can cause broken capillaries.

On a positive note, I must praise Liz Earle for having a refund system in place. The beauty industry makes millions out of selling us things that don't work for us. And many companies don't even let us try before buying! I think all companies should be willing to take the products back if they don't do what they claim or if they cause skin sensitivities.

Anyway, it was a shame that this didn't work for me. I was willing to overlook the eucalyptus content (even because it is a wash off product) because the products felt so luxurious. However, I can say that in just two days and a half my skin had a turn for the worse. Back to bland but safe Eucerin I go...

on 1/21/2016 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I have very dry skin and so had resorted to using only micellar water for cleansing. I didn't mind using it until I went to a Liz Earle counter after remembering a blogger mention Cleanse and Polish. The advisor rubbed some in on my hand and it seemed so easy to clean away, and left my skin really soft and hydrated. Plus, I got a Christmas deal which meant I got a full sized bottle and 2 muslin cloths in a little bag for £15, which I didn't think was bad. Especially considering that the bottle will last 30 days used morning and night/ 60 days used once daily. Since using Cleanse and Polish, I've noticed that my skin isn't dry and tight as it was after using micellar water, and it is so much easier to remove makeup!! Literally just rubbing some cream in and wiping it away. No silly cotton balls needed. Best of all, my skin feels really clean but also really moisturised and smooth. I use this daily in the evening to remove my makeup. I haven't had any spots or irritation since using this.

Having combination skin, I had always made the mistake of thinking I could only use foaming/wash-off cleansers to strip the oil from my skin and avoid breakouts. However, after trying this cleanser on offer (got this along with the moisturiser, toner and eye lotion), I was amazed at how much my skin improved using a cream/balm cleanser such as this.

I love how easy this is to use, I just take a small amount, massage it over my whole face, gentle wipe it off with a muslin cloth or flannel and finish with a splash of water and it leaves my skin feeling smooth and fresh. I feel (although nice to use) the toner and eye lotion are pretty much useless but I feel the cleanser and moisturiser combo work well on my skin.

It is expensive however I find I've only been through one and a half bottle of this in a year which isn't awful and it can be more cost effective to purchase as a set since I use other products in this range.

I would say this product is also good at removing traces of makeup that my makeup remover hasn't removed (and it never burns my eyes when using around this area). However, I would not use it alone as a makeup remover.

Overall, this product has really improved my skin's texture and appearance and since using it I definitely do not suffer from breakouts as much as I did before. The cons are definitely the price for me and that the 'travel-size' 100ml version of this product is still very large and bulky so not ideal to be brought on holiday etc..

on 12/9/2015 2:04:00 PM

I must be one of the few people not to like this. It made me break out and did not help the breakouts I was having before I used this; it made things worse. The cloth was very abrasive, too. I felt it was rougher than necessary to get a buffing action. I did finish the product as a foot moisturiser and it worked very well for this. The pump packaging was nice, dispensing a controlled amount of product each time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Like the moisturiser, this broke me out and irritated me so badly. I think it was the combination of the cocoa butter and capric triglycerides clogging my pores and the eucalyptus essential oil that irritated me. If your skin is sensitive or even the least bit acne prone please patch test this first!

Popular Face Skincare Products