Essie Topless and Barefoot

3.9

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Topless and Barefoot was Essie's most popular shade of 2017, according to articles in Allure and Glamour magazines--and I can see why. Nudes are so, so tricky--they're either too gray, too beige, too peach, too pink or too chalky or too sheer. But along came Topless and Barefoot which is just right, said Goldilocks. It is enough of a neutral so that it gained popularity from both warm and cooler toned folks. It was not as popular with the Glamour employees with darker skin tones who tested it for their article, but I thought it looked good on all of them. I had just about given up on finding a perfect nude for fair/medium neutral/warm me, but Holy Grail, Batman, at last I have found it! Two coats look fine and I didn't have any real problem with the application. Always use a good base coat. Yes, the brush is a bit small compared to other brands, but the color is so divine I would apply it with a toothpick if I had to. 😀
Respectfully submitted,
colormepink

Edit: At the one-week mark, Topless and Barefoot looks just like it did the day it was applied--perfect! Did not even have to reapply a top coat. My hands have been in really hot water numerous times and it still held up. Love!❤️

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I wish I loved this one. It's supposed to be one of Essie's bestselling polishes. This nude pale beige pink just doesn't look good against my tan NC42-44 skintone. Online it looks so beautiful and everyone is raving about it. But on me it makes my hands looks dirty and dull. And what makes it worse is the TINY brush. I bought this on ebay from US, and the US version brush is a small round tiny brush (Europe has a wider brush). I can not make this little brush work on my long nails. It's hard to get even and I have to dip the brush in the color several times while I paint. The multiple strokes makes it look uneven and streaky cause the color is quite opaque. It's just a hassle and the results are just not worth the effort. IF the brush was better/wider, I would consider using it more. But I realized I have so many other polishes I love, so I sold it to my work colleague.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I had to get this because I saw so many people raving about the color. It's a pale beige/pink that leans a little towards pink.
On the nail this is a very sophisticated color. I think it's a generally easy color to pull off but might not work for everyone.
(If you prefer more of a sandy/tan nude, Topless and Barefoot is probably going to be too pink for you.)
I found it a very flattering color on my pale skin.

I am taking it down one star because I found the formula to be runny and streaky. I am pretty good at managing this and was able to get good coverage in 2 coats but I could see other people really struggling. It will run down the brush and you will have more polish than you expect. So don't dip the brush all the way in and you can get the right amount of polish on the brush. And then try not to overwork it on the nail. This finish was not as shiny as I like so you will probably want a top coat.

Wear time seems average, dry time was average. I will wear this regularly despite struggling with the formula because the color is so good on me.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I have cool toned skin with pink undertones, and this is the perfect "mannequin hands" manicure for me. I also love it for a pedi. Two coats, with Seche Vite topcoat and I'm good for a few days. I do change my polish a couple of times per week, so I can't speak to extended longevity.

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

This is definitely in my top 5 of nude nail polishes. Application is lovely, creamy and smooth. Two coats is all that is required and with SH Insta-dry it is perfection! I change my polish every 3 days so it has great lasting power! Color is unique and I get many compliments every time I wear it.

This is my all time favorite nude polish. It's perfection against my fair skin.

Awesome nude! I was iffy at first about buying it as I was afraid it would be too yellow on my fair/pink hands. I'm glad I did though, it has the right mix of pink and beige and looks great! Gives a very classy, clean, almost mannequin hands look on me. It seems like the typical Essie formula to me, quite thin and streaky on the first coat but fills in nicely with two coats.

This color looked SO WEIRD on me. Such a disappointment because of all the positive reviews.

This nude shade had a strange, plasticky appearance that was not attractive or flattering. But the formula was decent. Opaque in two coats and no problems with application or wear.

But I didn't care for the shade itself and I wouldn't buy it again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

If your feet wanted a nude lipstick, this is it. It makes my toes look neat and elegant, a very nice muted neutral. It's more jelly-like upon application, so I glob it on and pick up the excess as opposed to creating streaks with a semi-dry brush. Seche Vite is my preferred top coat for such formulas, as it performs best when applied on a tacky surface and this polish is just that. I've used two bottles of this already, primarily on my feet as I don't find anything extraordinary about it on my hands.

The color is nice enough - nude, slightly pink. However, I'm not sure it works on me. It almost gives me mannequin hands, but I think maybe it's a bit too light for my skin tone.
I'm not basing my rating on the color because that can be very subjective and others may really love it. I will base my rating on the formula. I wish I could give it 2 1/2 instead of 3.
The formula is a bit disappointing, although I'm often disappointed with the formula of polishes in the pale pink/nude shades. It sort of pools on the nails in some places while streaking and barely covering others. It's almost opaque with two coats, but it's still just a little streaky in places. Rather than leaving nails looking perfectly neat, clean, and elegant, it can look a bit messy, like I've rushed through polishing my nails. It looks like this even when I apply carefully :/

Popular Polishes