Philosophy Hope in a Jar-Night

Philosophy Hope in a Jar-Night

3.5

on 2/17/2016 7:33:00 PM

I'm a huge fan of Philosophy, and this is the only product that I don't like. It smells sooo bad, I hate to even get near my cat or my husband! I don't want to get it on them! The smell really lingers, too. The feeling of it - its so heavy and the way it lays on top of my skin is awful. It doesn't sink in. I just went and wiped as much off as I could. As far as results, I think there are better options out there for the price. Philosophy's Retinol Cream "Help Me" Is 100000 times better, scent-free, and I even wear it under makeup.

I have to admit, I haven't used it steadily to really comment on results. It is so hard to wear and the feeling is so gross, I hardly ever want to put it on my face.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I have been using this nightly for about 7 weeks, I am only half way through the jar!
At first, I did notice some slight tingling but it subsided quickly.
Product does exactly what it claims to do. Exfoliates and moisturizes! My skin feels so soft in the morning!
My skin texture definitely looks better! I'll use this for a long time.
(I have combo skin)

To Read all 22 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have extremely dry skin due to medication and a severe dermatitis condition. I get thickened flakey patches all over. Add in sensitivity and mild rosacea and my skin is a mess. This is a bit irritating if used every day, so when my skin gets to a certain point using milder, less effective products I use this.
You only need a tiny amount and it goes on like a dream.
Due to my strange combination of issues I use this as a deep moisturizer and a total skin resurfacing product... about 30 seconds after applying it my whole top scaled layer begins to slough off with gentle massage. I'm left with amazingly soft, brand new face!
This will not be most people's experience with the product, but if it can work such incredible magic on my challenging skin, imagine what it could do for you!
(Yes, it smells funky and I hate anything you have to scoop out of a jar, but that's just whining, really.)

on 5/11/2015 7:23:00 PM

Excellent product! Reduces pores and keeps my skin moisturised and hydrated! Best night cream ever!!! A little goes far! Smell isn't great but you soon get used to it. Highly recommend!!!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I've been using Philosophy's Purity Cleanser, Hope in a Jar Moisturiser, Eye Hope & Hope in a Jar Night for about 3-4 months now.

The whole range worked beautifully for me especially with my Clarisonic Mia 2. My skin felt really moisturised in the mornings but in the past week, everything went topsy-turvy. when I used Hope in a Jar Night, my skin started tingling and I felt a light burning sensation over, redness, dry patches and even some stinging. I tried to eliminate which particular product is causing it over the week but sadly, it seemed that all of it seemed to cause the irritation. I immediately put away the whole range and did an overhaul of my skincare products.

I don't want to throw it away becuase it was a great product and I'm still going to try to figure out what went wrong but maybe after my skin recovers.

on 12/14/2014 7:44:00 AM

I really like this. Will continue to repurchase unless I find something I like better, or something equally good for less money. I feel like this helps clear my skin, it is the first glycolic acid product I have tried. I had used a sample about a year ago, but the $50/2oz price is way more than I have ever spent on skin care. However, I really loved the sample, so I bought during the 20% off sale in November. That made it $40, which is better but still steep I think. I find this less irritating than retinol products. I do feel a little in the morning when I wash my face, that doesn't bother me, it actually makes me feel like it's been working all night.

Philosophy calls this an "intense retexturizing moisturizer," which is really just not true. It has some glycolic acid in it, but it's not going to transform your face or do anything drastic regarding texture. It's not a bad face cream, per say, but I don't think it lives up to its claims. I will say that it never made my acne worse, which I get from time to time, and it moisturized well. It's a very thick, non-scented ivory-colored cream that takes some elbow grease to spread and a few minutes to sink in. It feels like one of those old school creams that is basically a barrier to trap in moisture and keep the elements out. I only used it at night due to the AHA content and woke up with the same skin in the morning that I had the night before. It was not plumped or toned or anything, just the same as the night before. It's a pleasant enough cream, but I can't recommend it for its retexturizing capabilities. For that, I would do a peel, toner or serum with AHA.

on 7/31/2014 10:51:00 AM

I got this as a 100 pt perk from Sephora. First off, the smell. OH MY GAWD... the smell is just AWFUL! I'm not sure if mine went bad or what, but it just smells bad. It smells like spit!! (Sorry, I know that's gross, but that's what it smells like to me >_<) The texture of this cream is thick and rich. It felt kinda oily on my skin as well. Not a fan of this product at all. I threw it out since i couldn't stand the smell of this. It lingers on my face after i apply it and the smell transfers to my bed sheets as well. YUCK.

on 6/28/2014 1:36:00 AM

Well, I was not impressed with this night cream at all, nor in any way.

Texture: Very thick and heavy.

Scent: It's the worse smelling skin product I have ever tried. It's this chemical, Acidic/Sour scent. It's very strong and takes probably a good thirty minutes to go away. The first time I tried this my husband came in to kiss me and afterwords said I smelled funky. He hated how this smelled and I seriously got less action because of it. Not worth it.

Finish: This was too heavy for my skin. Felt like it sat on top of my skin, never fully drying. I used a tiny amount too, it wasn't like I was applying it like icing.

Effects: Less sex and affection. I could have applied this after having our "fun" but I don't want to bother with getting up and removing makeup/applying skin care regimen etc. I wanna relax. Skin was peeling in the morning and later always way too oily. No noticeable, positive results.

I ended up giving away this product to someone who had allergies and stuffy most of the time. They couldn't smell this product at all.

on 4/13/2014 10:36:00 PM

Ok, I've tried Philosophy products a couple times before and usually I've not been to impressed. But my skin has started to change now that I'm in my 40s, so I thought, what the heck. People I know gave this a good review, and I was looking for a good night cream, so I tried it.
Its pretty good. Leaves my face feeling pretty moisturised in the morning. No, I don't see any changes in my skin, but at least its not gotten worse.
I'm not sure I will get it again. Maybe, but I'm not sure. I'll probably keep on the lookout for the perfect skin care line for me.