Eyeko Black Magic Mascara (Curved Brush)

3.4

I am shocked by the lower reviews on this product! I have had it for about 2 months now, it’s the best I’ve ever had. Doesn’t smudge, lenghtens and gives good volume to the lashes, and lasts all day without coming off on my under eyes. This is excellent. I remove it easily at night with the black sugar cleanser balm from Skinfood!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I begin to think that I have unrealistic expectations about mascara, but I found this to be an average product. Its not expensive so I guess that's a plus but It doesn't do anything much good for my lashes. My lashes are relatively long and I have a lot of them, and have a natural curl to them. They are just very fine and light (I do tint them). Basically I want a mascara that doesn't smudge or flake, with good pigmentation and no clumping. This does some of that, but not all. But at least its cheaper than some that have done less.

Pro:
Nicely pigmented
Reasonably priced
Holds a curl
Doesn't aggravate my sensitive (to mascara) eyes

Con:
Flakes
Clumps
Not particularly lengthening or volumising (except for clumps) and it claims to give 'drama'

This is probably my favorite mascara of all time. I found that it gave a really impressive amount of length & curl without clumping. Does not smudge on me after I give it a few seconds to set. I also really appreciate the packaging because I feel like it's much better than traditional tubes for getting more product out. I have oily lids and I still found that it lasted without smudges or flakes.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Colour and application good. This darkens and lengthens my lashes - But, by the end of the day it flakes on me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This mascara makes my lashes look even worse than they are without mascara!!

Pro: waterproof (I have tried it in the swimming pool), stays in place all day, easy to remove with warm water/eye makeup remover.

Con: formula is so sticky: one coat does not do anything but two coats make my lashes stick together and leave me with an unnatural/bad look.
It is as if I only have 3 lashes left.

Really wanted to like this (especially because of the caring ingredients), but it does not work for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This was a freebie from a magazine. Gotta love those magazine incentives.

Loved the tube, even loved the brush - which is unusual for me.

I have small almond shaped eyes with shortish floor facing lashes. The only reason I haven't gone down the extension route is because I haven't found a glue that doesn't make my eyelids itch.

After I have curled my lashes, I have found I can use 1 coat of this stuff and the curl will wilt a little. But there is no extra drama at all.
2 coats and yes extra drama, but is now too wet and I can see my lashes unfurl before they dry.

Unfortunately I haven't found a lash primer that keeps the curl, as that would be a great way to use this and other mascara's.

So a fail from me, I will keep using until I find another.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Got this as a free gift from Cult Beauty. I love the brush - now I get the hype about mascara being all about the brush and not the formula. Fornula is still pretty impressive though and it doesn't smudge or run throughout the day. In fact, it has such good staying power that I have trouble getting it off with just eye makeup remover. My only complaint is that it seems like the formula is drying up a little even though I think I have only had it open a month. It is getting a little clumpy..

Edit: definitely has gone really dry really fast. Formula has gotten different in texture and is now sort of clumpy and not gorgeous as it was in the beginning. Not awful or anything but makes me rethink if I will purchase.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

This mascara adds an impressive amount of length and volume, but doesn't really do much to thicken lashes. It separates them a bit, but not in a way that looks bad. I like the look, but I've noticed that small bits of product will sometimes clump on the ends of my lashes if I'm not careful. The curved brush also makes it a little tricky to not get mascara on my eyelids for some reason I can't really explain, but I've never had so much trouble with mascara being places it shouldn't be. It's also insanely flaky when washed off. Even after double washing my face and using two different makeup removers, I still had flakes in my lashes and around my eyes and sometimes in my eyes, which is really bad for contact lens wearers like me. I wanted to love this stuff and I'm a fan of the no-waste packaging, but the more I used this, the more I hated it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I find that this mascara sort of "clumps" the individual strands of my lashes together, if that makes any sense. It's not clumpy as in the cheap mascaras kind of clumpy but instead of making my lashes more voluminous, they ended up looking very sparse/separated despite the intense black colour and length that it gave me. Because I hate wasting, I usually put on one coat of my regular maybelline hypercurl volume express, let it dry a bit and layer one coat of this eyeko black magic on top and it looked much better as the maybelline gave me volume and eyeko "separates" them a bit

It is also not ENTIRELY waterproof. It won't budge when it first gets in contact with water but once you rub your eye, game over. In fact, I wear this mascara alone in days where I know I'll be too lazy to remove my eye makeup because I can just step into the shower and just wash my face as usual and the mascara will be gone by the time I'm done.

Overall, I love the whole concept of no-wastage packaging, they also came with a guitar-pick-looking thing, which is cute but I'm not just buying a mascara for their packaging...

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this mascara! Since I sweat easily and a lot, I needed a waterproof one. Although it isn't stated in the product informations, it truly is.

I'm Asian and my eyelashes a pretty straight. I've always liked curved wands but this one doesn't curl though. It never smudged on my lids and didn't get clumpy (as long as I don't use it over three months)! I also never used that plastic piece of guard the mascara comes with. And I'm not used to tube packagings. Actually I don't find it aesthetically appealing but it's not less practical than a hard bottle. It can be squeezed to get a maximum use of the remained product actually.

Overall, I was really satisfied with the product and its price. Too bad that it's not sold in Switzerland and there's no Sephora shops here.