Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in place Makeup

4.1

12/2012 REFORMULATION

Wow, this is one tenacious foundation. I was skeptical before trying it but it really does stay put on my oily nose.

I got "color matched" to wrong shade but got a sample before buying. I am NC15 and the SA gave me equivalent of NC30ish. I used Temptalia's Foundation matrix and went in and asked for 1W1 Warm Bone sample. It is the palest yellow toned shade in this foundation. At first I was put off as it is very yellow. I started using up the sample just on my very red nose & cheeks. I was blown away by the coverage and staying power. The match is pretty good though if I wanted to perfectly match my neck they would need a paler yellow toned shade. I then started using just small dabs on the rest of my face that I blended out carefully. I find my fingers work best for blending. You have sufficient time to blend but it does set fairly quickly. I blend in a paler foundation (Laura Mercier) along my jaw line into this foundation and it works quite well so no distinct demarcation line from face to neck.

It doesn't totally cover my hyperpigmentation but I don't expect a foundation to do that. For me it gives very good coverage and I use enough to improve my skin but also to let my skin show. I don't get how anyone could use 1 or 2 pumps (with added pump) on their face and it not look cakey....that is just too much. And anyone with super dry skin won't be happy with this unless they prep with a good moisturizer. I use over sunscreen with good results.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Shade: 2W2 Rattan
Current skin tone: NC30

This is the best foundation I've tried so far, and I've tried many high end like UD All Nighter to drugstore like Freedom UK. I have extremely oily skin and live in a tropical climate, so imagine how difficult it is for foundation not to be a greasy mess on me. I find the coverage just okay, it's not full in my eyes, some of my dark spots still peek through unlike say the Becca Full Cover Creme. It does a great job of controlling oil and is very long lasting, but my favourite part is it does not crease on me. Every foundation creases around my nose and laugh lines, but not Double Wear.
The shade does not completely match me, because of my work I got a tan yet their medium shades are too dark for me. Nevertheless I like this foundation very much, I would like it more if it had a smoother finish (I know matte foundations will always emphasise fine lines and texture more) and if it had a pump because I have to add $10 for a MAC pump. In Singapore this costs a hefty 62$ but on days were I needed it to stick to my skin I'm glad I paid that money.

I try so many products and i have sensitive acne prone skin and this foundation doesn't cause acne or cystic acne like others this is most important thing for me and this foundation have a buildable coverage and perfect for summer because realy stay in place all day

on 4/4/2017 8:02:00 PM

I wish I had something nice to say about this foundation, but unfortunately I don't. After hearing many great reviews, I thought this foundation would live up to it's expectations, but this was not the case.
Firstly, I got colour matched at an Esteé Lauder counter and while the foundation seemed to be a good match (Cool Bone) after a few hours of wearing, this foundation turns a horrid shade of orange on me and no amount of blending can hide the fact even the most the most pale foundation colour in the Double Wear range for my NC10 skin is far too orange.
Secondly, the formula is too thick. It has the consistency and smell of paint. Since the bottle does not have a pump you have to pour it onto the back of your hand which often results in pouring too much due to the poor functionality of the bottle and wasting a lot of product. Since this product is thick as paint you have to work quickly. If the foundation sits too long it WILL set.
Thirdly, rather than covering imperfections, this foundation will accentuate them! I use a primer, setting powder and setting spray and I have tested this foundation with and without some of those products to see what was causing the problem and it all still fell back on the foundation. I have also tried applying this foundation with a sponge, stippling brush, flat foundation brush, buffing brush and fingers and I still end up getting the same crappy result. Even straight after applying this foundation looks horrid. Rather than covering pores, this foundation will set around them making them look even more prominent. I'm only 18 and don't have any wrinkles yet, however this foundation settles in to fine lines and wrinkles I didn't even know I had! So if you would like to look 10 years older, I would recommend this foundation. This foundation is meant to be high coverage? It doesn't even cover pimples or dark circles, leaving me to have to purchase more high end products to try and cover them. Like most women, I have fine hairs on my face, this foundation clings to these fine hairs and makes me look like I have a furry face. Not a pretty look even after trying to blend it out!
Lastly, this foundation does not live up to it's "Stay-in-Place" claim. Even after 1.5 hour of wearing this foundation it will be patchy and flaking off my forehead and nose yet also make my combination skin turn into an oil slick? This foundation surprises me as it manages to be patchy, cakey AND make skin turn oily and shiny. Even using primer and moisturiser this foundation will leave your face looking like a choc chip cookie. I'm very thoughtful about not touching my nose while wearing makeup, however even after 1.5 hours of working this foundation it flakes off leaving me with a pale nose in comparison to the rest of my stark orange face. My forehead seems to bare the worst of this foundation as it flakes off turns cakey around eyebrows, nose and chin.
If there is anything to take away from this review, please do not purchase this product unless you enjoy wasting money on products that do the opposite of what they are supposed to. I wish I had something positive to say about this foundation, but unfortunately I don't. I keep using this product in hopes of one day achieving the flawless results everyone else raves about, and I also don't want to let my $50AUD go to waste however the poor design of the bottle does that for me.

First I have to say that if you are looking for a foundation with some "give" when it blends out, then this wouldn't be for you. Even with a primer and/or moisturizer you have to work quickly to blend. I do my face in sections, and add more as I go. Dabbing some all over the face to start with won't work. For me a dampened beauty blender works best, but a brush will also work great. If for some reason I have to use my fingers, I mix some moisturizer in with the foundation first. This foundation is very full coverage, and long lasting. The finish is matte, and looks flawless when it's applied the right way! It lasts all day for me even in the summer.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Very expensive (to me) but is very reliable, great color selection, and looks and lasts great. You can use a MAC foundation pump if you want a pump (thanks to someone @ Sephora for letting me know!)

It doesn't make me dry or oily, which is great as I have combo skin. By the end of the day I do have to blot, but it's nothing excessive. You don't need a lot, I only use one pump for most days (medium-high coverage to me). I love to dot it all over my face and then blend it in with a beauty blender for a skin like finish. It has a very slight paint smell to it which goes away when it dries down.

I really do enjoy & recommend this foundation.

Probably the best foundation ever tried especially for oily/combo skin type.

During winter months though I would suggest increasing the moisturizer under it, especially if you work or are somewhere with a bit of an aggressive air conditioning.

It provides a very good coverage, so take it easy on the application, as the over-application can cause dryness.

The T-zone may only have signs of shine by the end of the day and even then, it depends on your surroundings (dry air, AC, outdoors, etc).

It is a bit pricey, but I have not stumbled upon any other foundation that would make me change my mind.

For dry skins, this could eventually increase the dryness, as I noticed that if it is applied closer to the under the eyes zone, it has the tendency to bring out the fine lines.

on 1/23/2017 7:19:00 AM

After hearing mixed reviews about this foundation, some rave that it covers everything and lasts all day, and others saying it is thick, drying and "feels like cement", I finally decided to give it a shot on two occasions (so far). One on a particularly bad skin day, with a big pimple to hide, and second on a night out. I have oily skin.

First off, the packaging is crap. you have to pour it out into your hands - which is messy, and you have very little control over how much you get out. Probably because it is too thick to draw up through a pump, but a squeezy tube like the DW light could work.

Application felt horrible. It actually did feel a little like applying cement, it was thick and sticky and very difficult to blend. Perhaps a paint roller would have sufficed?

Having got the negatives out of the way, it did cover well and where I did manage to blend it the finish looked flawless. The shade was a good match too, and it did stay put all day without any shininess coming through. However it did start to come away in some areas, like it was drying up and peeling away.

Glad I tried it, but will save for bad skin days or special occasions. Would probably not repurchase.

on 1/22/2017 3:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

This is hands down the best foundation I've ever used. I constantly try out new foundations, hoping I'll find one that's better, but every time I do I always think to myself "why do I even bother... ELDW is the supreme just don't even try anymore".

I'm one of those people that just doesn't even understand the concept behind a foundation that only lasts a few hours until it starts falling apart. I refuse to spend like $40 on something that will only look good for 2 hours... like I have things to do that take longer than 2 hours and I'm gonna need to not look a mess while I'm doing them... sorry not sorry. This foundation is the only one that I, as an extremely oily person, have tried that looks good 8+ hours after applying it. No decomposing whatsoever. You slap this puppy on in the morning, come home in the evening and look at yourself in the mirror expecting a mess only to find that you still look 100% put-together. Incredible.

For dry or even normal people, this may be too matte. As an oily person, though, the oils from my skin make this foundation look very natural after about 30 mins of wear. I cannot sing the praises of this foundation enough, just wish it came with a pump (you can buy those for like $2 online though)

on 1/13/2017 6:48:00 PM