Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

3.9

on 6/13/2018 2:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I just don’t like this foundation and I really tried to. It’s like house paint! I tried to use it as sparingly as possible and it just made me look old and tired. I don’t think it leaves a flattering finish at all! I’m super oily and break through every foundation, but this was like sludge by the 4 hour mark. One of the worst I’ve used. Drying too.

It is with an extremely heavy heart that I write this long overdue conclusion that truly grieves me. My relationship with this foundation has endured for 3 years and although I was deeply in denial for the majority of that time I can now face reality and say definitively that Estee Lauder Double Wear breaks me out. Basically, I am both a makeup junkie and someone that takes very good care of her skin. I never fall asleep in my makeup and even when stumbling into my house drunk at 3AM after a wild party I still indulge in my skincare routine. I use the double or triple cleansing method where I remove makeup with a cleansing oil, use a face wash and follow up with a toner and a chemical exfoliant like glycolic acid, AHA, BHA etc. The only reason I'm even sharing this information is because I feel like whenever someone pops up and accuses Double Wear of residual effects people are so quick to judge like "Well maybe you're not removing it properly" or "It could be something else in your beauty routine".
For years I was convincing myself that it was my face wash, moisturizer, primer, diet, dehydration, pollen in the air, my cat etc. I never considered for a moment that it was in fact this foundation because I just didn't want to believe it. It is the #1 bestselling foundation and the fancy blue box itself claims the formula is non-comedogenic and non-acnegenic. I also find it strange that although I am not the only person who has experienced this nobody has been able to successfully pinpoint the actual ingredient(s) that may be causing breakouts. The truth is anytime I have this in my makeup rotation and especially when I wear it on a continual basis my pores become clogged, my complexion looks dull and I get these wet angry pimples on my chin and jaw area. But when I put this at the back of my makeup drawer and use other foundations my skin mysteriously clears up to the point I honestly don't even need a foundation. Its like the more I wear ELDW the more I need to wear it because my skin looks so bad.

I'm just so heartbroken about this because I adored literally everything about this foundation for a very long time. I recently bought a new bottle and I will likely return it because I am no longer willing to have pimply unattractive skin so I can continue to wear it. It's time to break up and finally let Estee Lauder Double Wear go...

I wanted to love this. It really does last all day and does not feel heavy on your face. The color range is ok i am about NC 35 and had to go with Tawny. There is a scent to this product and it applies well with either BB or brush. But it is just not workable if you have any dryness. It is almost too matte and sets very quickly so you can't really blend it well. It also imho does not seem to build well on top, it looks very obvious. I even tried mixing in different things to make the texture better (primer/moisturizer/oil) but then the foundation almost separated and would not apply well, like it would lift. I am in Canada and think the ELDW sold here and outside of the US is a different formulation maybe because reading other reviews it seems to be a common issue for people outside the US. It is $48 CDN and does not come with a pump (WTF EL.)

This is my GO-TO foundation - every time I find myself trying different foundations to find something better, I come back to this one because there is nothing better. In a foundation, I like medium to full coverage, non transferable, does not go into fine lines, and swear proof. This foundation covers all the requirements! I went to Cali last year and I have a sweating problem on my nose which ruins my foundation most of the time. The sweat did initially break through from the foundation and I had dots of foundation missing but once I was indoors, the foundation just settled back into place again!!!! I been using this for so many years and will continue doing so.

on 2/2/2018 5:17:00 AM

Double wear is the most amazing coverage, I struggled with a good color match. The new 3.15 Fawn is an exact match for my light / medium olive skin. I couldn’t be happier unless they start making in the nude water fresh.

on 1/31/2018 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

absolutely love this foundation. It's my all time favorite, and my go to foundation if I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day. My skin is quite dry, but this foundation does not cling to the dry patches nor does it make my skin look patchy. This foundation last all day, and does not get oily. The foundation sets well, and feels like skin. Not sticky at all, but not drying either. Even though this foundation is "double wear" it looks pretty natural on my skin. I like the packaging, but i would prefer if it had a pump. But it's not a problem, once you get used to it.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I'm having mixed feelings about this product. I have a very oily skin, but I also have a lot of flakiness from dry patches.

Yes, this foundation does stay matte for a loooooong period of time. I am loving this aspect of the foundation and I can understand why it's so well loved by many who has oily skin.

However, it's not that great for those who suffers from acne, textured skin etc. The foundation is so matte that it actually dries the skin (probably because of the presence of alcohol). It makes my skin look so old and bad. Maybe it's just because I haven't moisturise my face enough, or that I didn't exfoliate my face before using this foundation.

I'm just really not loving this foundation as much as I wanted to... Maybe I'll give it another try when my skin is in a better condition.

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I love this foundation I was matched in sephora however the color match oxidised and at the end of my 8 hrs shift I look like the anoying orange so I remached myself several shades apart with my warm neutral undertones it's gives me full coverage first I must say I have oily skin ,it's one of my HG, I gives good coverage last well over 8 hrs and does not give a mask effect on the face.

on 5/11/2017 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is my new HG foundation. My skin is oily so it doesn't look matte on my skin, it feels quite light (I'm happy with medium coverage so I don't use too much) and it didn't break me out so far. It's the only foundation I tried that didn't disappear from my skin after 10 hours and it actually looked quite nice at the end of the day. The only thing I dislike it's the packaging.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

When you need coverage and longevity Double Wear is still the gold standard for a department store foundation. Now that it has been out 20 plus years, I would like to see the formula tweaked to look more modern and skin like. I recommend going extremely light with your powder or it is going to be a heavy and very unnatural look. A dusting of loose only on the nose cheeks forehead and chin is all that should be needed no matter the skin type, and many should be able to get away with just blotting the foundation once it sets to take off the top most shine left over. I personally like to see it without a powder on normal skin types. Be aware you will need good facial cleanser to remove Double Wear or you may start having breakouts. Many of the cleansing facial oils work well to break it down, and even after that I would suggest a foaming cleanser or at least a swiping of toner to make sure all traces are wiped away. I've seen many women through the years who would splurge on their Double Wear and skimp on their cleanser and it just does work out. Be careful about the bottle. It is glass and there is no pump. Don't dip dirty fingers or brushes on the open top. I wish Estee Lauder would make a pump. Really cheap on their part for such a high end and well loved product.