Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Filtered by age: 44-55
Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

4.3

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I really really wanted to love this foundation but I had issues with it.

The first problem was the colour matching - I was matched to Pale Almond which I bought a whole bottle of, but it's just too dark and too pink. I went to a different store and the SA gave me a generous sample of Desert Beige, which was so nice of her. Unfortunately this was too pale and too yellow. Looking at the shade range I find it totally baffling.

The staying power is amazing. I applied it with a damp beauty blender working fast and kind of bouncing it in.

It really is like paint, and that's another problem for me. It creates such a uniform finish (like paint!) that instead of covering uneven skin it seemed to make it more obvious! It just seemed to highlight every uneven feature because of the flat, paint-like finish. I've since tried Max Factor Lasting Performance foundation and I actually prefer that, and it's cheaper. I might give Double Wear Light a try though - always on the search for the perfect foundation!

I hate the fact that it's not in a tube or that it doesn't have a pump top, especially considering how expensive it is. And it's runny so too easy to waste it.

on 5/31/2018 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

PROS :
- very long-wearing formula (it even stands-up a slight scratching),
- fluid, slightly runny texture, easy to blend (more beautiful texture and finish than Colorstay),
- medium coverage in one layer,
- blends seamlessly (neither blotchy nor patchy)
- gorgeous "second skin" finish, with a very slight sheen, and no powdery appearance,
- respects the skin texture (no blurring effect... that never lasts anyway),
- strong adhesion to the skin, with only very minimal settling into fine lines or pores,
- rich in pigments shades, neither gray nor brownish (a little too bright whatsoever but that’s what brightens the complexion),
- fast drying but not to the point of instantly setting upon contact with the skin,
- truly self-setting, if a powder is used it’s mostly to tone down shine,
- no darkening while it sets and barely oxidizes during the wear time,
- perfectly transfer-proof (my powder brush does not collect foundation, its fibers remain clean and fluffy),
- precise numbering of the shades,
- available in 50 shades (in the UK),
- soluble in pure alcohol (which allows an easy cleaning of the sponge, or brush, which was used, you get it back as clean as before),
- alcohol-free and fragrance-free (but not without smell, and I love this smell).

CONS :
- the now classical main drawback : NO PUMP !!!!! Seriously, Estée Lauder, drugstore brands add pumps on their less than 10 bucks foundations and there is no pump on yours which costs an arm to the toes (and requires to prostitute granny to get enough money to buy it) ??!!!
- has a clear tendency to peel off from the skin when applying a second layer (see comments),
- slight uncomfortable "resinous" sensation when the product is set, but it vanishes later when the foundation is mixed with the skin natural fluids,
- slightly tacky feeling (though less tacky than Colorstay),
- still lacks true "porcelain" shades,
- does not control shine that well (but, on me, nothing does),
- expensive, but it is undoubtedly worth the price.

COMMENTS :
The one and only trustable foundation that gives me a flawless complexion for a very long time, despite an overly oily skin. When I swatch several foundations on my arm, the only one that keeps all its intensity and coverage after several hours of friction on the clothes, and the shower, is that of Double Wear (the other ones become dull and/or translucent).

Most foundations darken and/or change undertone when setting (which requires to wait for a swatch to fully set before checking if the shade is a good match)... this one does not. Small digression by the way : I have always found ridiculous all these online swatches that are "wet-not-set", it does not reflect the final result.

As it is self-setting, it is useless to rush to powder it (if it’s powdered too early it cakes). One exception : the under eyes area. Regardless of the product I use, foundation or concealer, the product always creases into fine lines, so as soon as I get a flawless application on this area I immediately set with a translucent powder to prevent the product from further creasing.

It is essential to apply it one section at a time because of its fast drying time (don’t dot it all over your face hoping to come back on these dots to blend them later, the last dotted area will be impossible to blend).

Like many other products in the Double Wear range, this one has a strong (and exasperating) tendency to peel off from the skin when trying to apply a second layer, or simply when joining two areas (when using a blending sponge). In fact it is a matter of pressure : if, like me, you tend to press the foundation like a madman (trying to push it far into the skin hoping that it will last longer) you're damn. Gentleness is the key : using your sponge blend the foundation with the delicacy of a dandelion pappus carried by a light breeze, and not with the heaviness of a rammer flattening the bitumen.

I like the wide range of 50 shades and their precise numbering :
- the first digit indicates the main level, from the lighter level 1 to the darkest level 8,
- the letter indicates the undertone, C for Cool (pink based), N for Neutral neither too pink nor too yellow (in theory), and W for Warm (yellow based),
- the last digit modulates the intensity within a main level (1W2 will be a little darker than 1W1).

I use two shades :
- 1N1 Ivory Nude best matches my skintone but, despite its yellow base, it’s still a touch too pink (I have a very strong yellow undertone),
- 1W1 Bone is more golden but slightly darker than 1N1 so it ends up a tad too gold on me (let’s check this summer),
Ideally, instead of 1N1, for winter I would need a shade that has exactly the gorgeous color of the Double Wear Stay-in-Place Concealer in 1N Extra-Light (paler than the 1W1 but yellow based, a shade called 1W0 somehow... Estée Lauder, please ?)

Let’s note that the making of the undertones was surely done in a state of pronounced drunkenness (or it is the numbering which was made randomly) when one compares 1N1 Ivory Nude which is on the yellow side and 1N0 Porcelain which is on the pink side (both are N).

A short comment on the formula change that took place a few years ago : many users complained that the new formula lost in coverage (and that the shades changed). The shades changes were obvious, as an example the shade 1C1 Shell which became 1C1 Cool Bone, officially identical but unofficially much darker (to the point that, in front of the flow of complaints, the brand had to recreate a shade 1C0 Shell identical to the old 1C1). But the new formula is thinner and more skin-like, thus is more beautiful than the old one. That said, so many changes in the shades and numbering system is unacceptable from a brand as Estée Lauder.

At the end of the day, given its tenacity, I use a cleansing oil (or a two-phase micellar water) to remove it easily and completely without pulling/damaging my skin.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is my 2nd try. I've used mineral powders in the past but need something with more coverage and staying power since getting more "mature" skin. I've also become a bit drier in areas through I do have some break through shiny areas come through as the day progresses on my T Zone area. My first effort with using double wear was frustrating. I had trouble getting anyone to match me right Either too orange or pink) and I used either my fingers or a beauty blender to apply. I found that the product would crease up by my nose and chin and just did not have a natural look at all but looked more like a mask. This time I found the closest shade I could that match with golden glow compact powder by Jane Irdale, since it was a good match. I went with the shade Tawny. This time I appied it with a foundation brush, buffing it in lightly and just building on the redness by my nose and under my eyes. Looks MUCH better with a brush on me. I do not have to use much product at all. Covers my reddness great! Pores are unseen and it didn't crease up the light lines I have under my eyes. Also didn't show up any dry spots and I LOVE the finish, looks very natural without looking or feeling caked on. I don't need a concealer or a finishing powder when I use this though I do throw on a tiny bit of bye bye pores powder on my T Zone keeps me fresh all day long. Also the staying time with this is incredible! And no transferring! I feel that it does oxidize little on me but comes to a great match that melts into my skin that doesn't become orange or a funky pink. Only down side is having to really make sure I cleanse my face well at night to remove it but it's the price you pay for a product that stays on during the day, and of course the cost.

on 1/31/2018 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure

absolutely love this foundation. It's my all time favorite, and my go to foundation if I want my makeup to look flawless and last all day. My skin is quite dry, but this foundation does not cling to the dry patches nor does it make my skin look patchy. This foundation last all day, and does not get oily. The foundation sets well, and feels like skin. Not sticky at all, but not drying either. Even though this foundation is "double wear" it looks pretty natural on my skin. I like the packaging, but i would prefer if it had a pump. But it's not a problem, once you get used to it.

on 1/5/2018 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I am looking for a new foundation. It’s so sad that they reformulated this. It’s just bad. No coverage and it does not last. It’s a joke compared to what it used to be.

on 12/4/2017 11:31:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Finally tried this much hyped foundation. Luckily I got a sample and didn't purchase because it did not work for me. I got matched to the color Rattan, which matched my skin perfectly. I tried this three different times and was disappointed all three times. First used it without a primer, then with the Smashbox primer, then with the Dr. Brandt Primer and it made no difference at all. By the three hour mark, it had gathered in creases that I didn't know I had! No other foundation that I currently use (itCosmetics CC cream, Revlon Age Defying and YSL) has ever done that. Very disappointing.

on 11/24/2017 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure

This product is always on my makeup shelf. It's coverage is fantastic, but not noticeable. It's matte, super long-wearing, and evens out redness in my skin. The only thing I don't like about it is the bottle. (Why has no one but Chanel figured out that bottles of foundation with no squeeze-top or similar mechanism, leave gloppy, gluey foundation all over the mouth of the bottle? What a waste of product.)

on 11/22/2017 8:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Went to the estee lauder counter and was colour matched by the very helpful and knowledgeable BA to 2W2, which is a warm yellow based shade. The colour was the best match for any foundation I have ever had, including my beloved Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, absolutely spot on. I have a very difficult skin tone to match and most other cosmetic houses don't offer a wide enough selection. I also have extremely dry, sensitive skin and was very excited to try this. The BA gave me an extremely generous weeks supply to trial. This was great, as based on the first hour I would have purchased it. But as the day went on, my face got drier and tighter and the skin around my eyes was so dry it was flaking. What a shame I really wanted to love this just for the colour alone, but I think this is a foundation best suited to a combination oily skin or a younger skin with more natural moisture. It certainly lives up to the longevity and does not transfer at all, a great bonus. Just not for me.

on 10/18/2017 6:38:00 AM

I've been using it for years and there is no foundation on the market to get even close... and I' ve tried ! Still, it has its secrets: 1. The skin should be well moisturized. 2. Using mattifing moisturises is a NO GO - the foundation would look awfully cakey. 3. Cover the mouth of the bottle with your finger and turn it upside down - this should be a "shot"; max 3 will do. 4. It is important to spread it rather quickly allover the face, cause it kind of dries during the process. 5. I find the building up is a bad ideea - in my experience, 1 layer/ application is enough. Red spots and other defaults should be treated "on spot", discreetly.
Once you find its ways/ secrets, you become addicted to it. :-) <3 it !

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I can't believe that I took so long to jump on the Double Wear bandwagon. I should've known that there were some really good reasons for people to recommend this product whole heartedly. It's awesome.

I was recently color matched at the Estee Lauder counter and received a 10-day sample. Here's what I love about this foundation:

1) It is super lightweight on the skin even though the coverage is medium to full. I had been using a MAC cream foundation that I love. But the Estee Lauder foundation just feels wonderful and barely there on my skin.

2) The foundation doesn't rub off on anything during the day. It's truly non-transferable. So I don't accidentally get any on my hands, on paper or on the neckline of my tops. I use a powder over the foundation. I'm sure that helps.

3) I'm chocolate brown with reddish undertones. I actually tested three different possibilities since Double Wear has a great range that covers women of color nicely. I finally went with Deep Amber. It's a gorgeous warm color.

4) I have combination skin with an oily t-zone and dry cheeks. I prep my skin well and the Double Wear works perfectly. I wear the Smashbox oil-free primer on my t-zone under the Double Wear and I just do minimal powder touch-ups during the day. And for my cheeks, I wear a slight smear of oil under my moisturizer and the matte finish in the Double Wear doesn't dry me out.

5) The product washes away easily at the end of the day since it is so lightweight.

My only con with the product is the lack of a pump in the glass bottle. However the Estee Lauder counter now sells a pump separately for $10. The product is thin and close to a watery texture. So a pump helps you to control how much you dispense. Frankly the $10 pump will help me to recycle since I'm not about to throw it in the trash each time I finish a bottle.

What a great product!