Chanel Raffinement

Chanel Raffinement

3.0

on 2/4/2014 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

The shadows in this one are almost too buttery soft and mushy which makes for easy blending which some will love but I prefer my shadows to have a bit of firmness and a bit more pigment and all 4 colors have varying degrees of shimmer -- to micro-glitter bits. While the two deeper plummy grey browns are indeed lovely sultry colors, I found it too much work and not enough fun to go outside of the palette to get a tasteful look that was flattering for my age and skintone ( in Mac I am nc40) and olive toned. I returned it.

This is my first Chanel eyeshadow purchase. I'd been on the fence about this quad, especially given that its $59... Then I got a coupon for $20 off a $40 purchase from a big department store. So I had to get this.

I have oily lids that require a primer. So I use Urban Decay Primer Potion + either one of the following on top,depending on if I'm doing a cool or warm eye shadow color :MAC Paint Pot in Painterly or Soft Ocre or MAC Paints in Untitled or Bare Canvas.

So far ,the light shades in Raffinement have all worked quite well when paired with any of the bases above. Except for the dark brown, which flakes. Badly. Racoon eye bad. Even if you use it just a tiny bit.

I really wanted to like this quad, but the dark color flaking off brings down the good qualities. You can't help but expect better from Chanel. What's the point of adding a dark color that you can't use to do a smokey eye for fear of looking like an accidental racoon?? The dark brown in the (sadly) discontinued Wet n Wild Vanity eye shadow set holds up better. It goes to show: Just because it costs doesn't mean it's the best.

Top Rated Eye Shadow