Chanel Raffinement

Chanel Raffinement

4.4

on 11/18/2013 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I struggle with browns and neutrals because of my coloring and find that of all my makeup products, I'm by far the most picky when choosing anything neutral or brown for my eyes. FYI, I'm very pale (NC-10 at a guess, almost always the lightest shade of foundation in any brand), hazel eyes, and highlighted blondish hair. Thanks to constant allergies and insomnia I deal with eye redness sometimes and I don't want to pick anything that might enhance it. Plus neutrals tend to make me look tired so I usually reach for plums, violets, and grays. I wanted to try this based on all the great reviews, hoping that I might have one of those magical reactions to this quad.

I've owned it for about two months now and I have to admit that it really does some beautiful things to my eyes. I don't look worn out and it doesn't enhance any redness at all when my allergies act up. I love it for a sultry daytime look as it blends so well I can easily get a cloudy, gentle halo of smokiness that isn't over the top but still manages to be mysterious and alluring. I only use the deepest shade as a liner unless I'm going out at night, then I use in the outer V. I'm too pale to pull it off any other way. But the other three colors always work. The texture is soft, a little powdery so a brush picks up a lot of color. And even with a lot of blending the colors never look muddy. I think it's very flattering for hazel eyes.

As far as it being the mythical creature of the neutral world, I feel that Burberry does it better. I reach for my Burberry neutrals (like Rosewood and Mulberry) far more than I reach for this, especially when I want something truly and completely stunning that I know will boost my confidence and make my eyes and skin glow. But this is still a gorgeous mix of colors and something I'll use often. So this still gets a big thumbs up from me.

on 6/14/2013 7:32:00 PM

I would not be overstating it to say that this is my HG of eyeshadow quads. It's just spectacular in its simplicity. It seems to me that we makeup connoisseurs spend a lot of time looking not for fancy things, but really amazing staples-the best nudes, reds, etc.

So, in that vein, this is the very best brown eyeshadow quad I have ever tried. All four of them are finely milled, easy to apply, and have that sort ethereal, glowy quality really fantastic powder eyeshadows have. I have fair skin and blue eyes for reference. I put on a bit of MAC painterly before I apply the shadows from Raffinement and they stay all day. Wonderful!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I'm kind of torn with this product. The shades are nice, but I don't really find myself reaching for this. The colors are plummy browns and taupes. It could be that I'm just lazy and have not really been wearing a lot of makeup.

Moving on...the shadows themselves are quite nice. The pigmentation is good and the texture is buttery. Normally, I don't wear shadow without primer because I have oily hooded eyes. I was doing a quick run through using this quad one day, so I skipped primer. The colors creased quite quickly when I used them. So, I would say there is nothing special about the lasting power.

I used a gift card to buy this. If I had paid cash, I probably wouldn't have kept this. How great this is probably depends on your stash.

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

Now, I am usually very pleased with Chanel makeup. The quality is usually phenomenal and this palette is no exception. I hated the Spices quad but this beautiful quad with a mauve undertone is perfect for spring and fall. The colors are smooth and very, very pigmented.

I'm not much of a chanel e/s fan because the quality varies in each quad. But, this is one of the nicest chanel quads that i've tried. Pigmentation is good, the shades are all soft and blendable and vary from hi-mid levels of shimmer, with one satin shade. Varying finishes are important to me, nothing worse than trying to make 4 frosty shades work together. Another bonus is the mix of cool, neutral, and slight warm shades, all varying from pale, mid-toned, to dark crease shade. Top left is a slightly cool taupe mauve, top right is a neutral champagne shade, bottom left is an almost rosy golden beige (slightly warm, but mostly neutral), bottom right is a deep brown with plum undertones (neutral leaning cool).