Sulwhasoo First Care Activating Serum

Sulwhasoo First Care Activating Serum

3.3

I'm glad I bought a tester size to try. This was supposed to be one of Sulwhasoo's star products. Everybody loved it (...again, the hype had finally caught me...), everybody said it was "one of their holy grail skin cares" ... "a 'must-have' " and you know, all that jazz.

Well, I was carried by the hype. Despite that, I did a research on it. I even made a poll on how many people satisfied, and compared to how many did not. Considering that I didn't want to splurge my money on a pricey skincare (around $ 70), hence I MUST do some research!
Eventually, I decided to get a tester size (8 ml) for just $ 6 and I'm glad I didn't splurge on a full size.

I was excited to try. To be honest, I felt like I finally fit in to the hype. I thought that I finally belong to the group that (will) used this skincare and will eventually love it.

Firstly, I loved the smell. It had a light scent of ginseng. Secondly, I loved how it felt on my skin (possibly, the placebo effect...?). Thirdly, it brightened up my skin after I used it 1-2 days, and it made my face less oily.

However, there came the downside. It gave me breakouts! I had small bumps all over my forehead and on my cheeks! Optimistic, I thought this was just a first reaction, so I continued using it until I know that I HAD ENOUGH!

Sigh... I was disappointed.

Another part of me couldn't blame Sulwhasoo because it could be solely my sensitive skin. But another part of me thought, with such price?! It should work with every skin type, that's it. I used Clinique and other drugstore skin cares which were much cheaper than Sulwhasoo and I encountered no breakout.

Sulwhasoo could be very pricey because of their natural/organic ingredients, but again, I must reemphasize that WITH SUCH PRICE, IT MUST WORK WITH EVERY SKIN TYPE. Although most people were satisfied, yet not a few encountered breakouts. And it was very unfortunate especially for those that purchased a full set (approx. $ 900) and needed to stop using it.

I felt very fortunate that I trusted my intuition to go for a $6 tester size, instead of jump to splurging on a $70 full size. No heart break, Sulwhasoo, though you gave me breakouts. This is a happy goodbye.

on 7/28/2017 12:51:00 PM

I had acne oily T zone combination skin and this product amazed me as i COMPLETELY gotten rid of all my problems (acne, oil) in ONE product. I will definitely considering buying it again despite of the price (It is cheaper if you buy from the wholesale factory in Korea in myeongdong as of 2017 as it SAVES UP your money from all the visits to facial cleaning and using other products. I LOVE THIS! it saved my face :)

on 9/22/2016 11:01:00 AM

This is supposed to be one of Sulwhasoo's star products, but I didn't notice anything different to my skin even after using up the entire bottle. It has a pleasant herbal scent and a light gel texture, but wasn't very hydrating compared to some other serums I use. Overall, this was just an extra step to my skin care routine which I didn't need.

Tested this for two weeks and can't say I saw any difference. It's a watery lotion that goes on quite sticky and formed a bit of a film on my face, I'm not sure that helps with better absorption as the product claims.The scent comes off herbal and does not linger. Didn't cause any issues to my skin but won't be buying this.

This is sooo expensive so I buy sample-sizes instead of the full product. I LOVE this product though. I like this more than the ginseng serum in the same line that gets really good reviews. It makes my skin calmer and more resilient, kind of like a more powerful version of the original Missha FTE formulation. Would recommend trying if you have the cash.

on 11/12/2015 10:08:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I bought this from Thailand's duty free promotion for 97$/2bottles so the price was well worth it.

I've used this for about 3wks. Slowly fell in love with it. The effect was less noticable but crucial.
It helped strengthen my skin. It made my face stay put in a good condition which, in my opinion, is more importnant than glowing, plumming, depigmentation or anti acne effects. Imagine the skin at your inner arm, it is so smooth and nice even with all the stress and no skincare. This serum did the similar thing by increasing tolerant to stress.

FYI my skin is relatively good with main issue on easily clog pores. occasionally sensitive and acne.

so far so good, will keep updated

update feb 2016
I stopped using it due to I noticed I kept having 1-2 small acne every weeks
I now switched to shiseido which kept my face strenghten and no new acne occur

Update sep 2016
I tried to use it again but I think a experience the small breakout again

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I first started using this when I bought 3 bottles in one go on my visit to Seoul in March 2014 - yes, I had such high hopes after reading reviews in publicatiosn. After more than 6 months of use, frankly, I can't say my skin is better, visiblily, nor do I feel that my skin texture and 'feel' has improved. It's an additional step to my skincare routine. Whether I use it or skip a day/night, my skin feels the same. Sorry, but I will not repurchase when my stock is used up. Having said that, if this works for you, it's rather good value - not excessively expensive for a serum - this is the only plus point which actually surprised me.

on 9/12/2015 11:09:00 AM

I combined this one with the Capsulized Ginseng Fortifying Serum, and it worked nicely on my skin, very very hydrated but not oily. Of course, both of them are serum :)). Since used them, I do not need any extra hydration cream more. Just apply two lovely serum and go to bed. In the next morning, glowy skin says hello :>).

on 8/31/2014 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

About a year ago, I recieved some free samples of Sulwhasoo products after a complimentary facial treatment. Being a big fan of Japanese skincares I was excited to give a Korean skincare a go. After a week I noticed that my skin was smoother and definately softer, plumper and no breakout or irritation which was a big whoop for me because my skin is annoyingly sensitive. So I did some research on the brand (which I should have done before trying the products loll but...oh well). Their aim is to balaced out the yin and yang in our skin (ooooooh) through an ancient Korean herbal recipe which revolves around 12 Asian herbs and the First Care Activating Serum contains the most concentrated of these herbs of all the products.

Although this product contains alcohol n fragrance which I usually avoid, but the % are very low. The consistency is kinda like liquid honey and the smell....ok I've heard a lot of complains about the strong ginseng smell but I love it, very relaxing, reminds me of ginseng tea! I use this right after I wash my face before applying the Balancing Water, serum and Concentrated Ginseng Cream. I know it requires a lot of prcess but it's worth it. My skin never looked better than it is now and I have people complimenting my skin all the time. Btw, I'm on my fourth bottle now! First Care and Concentrated Ginseng Cream are my two absolute all time fav. beauty products!!!

on 7/6/2015 9:34:00 AM

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

average. it is a brownish serum that a thick liquid consistency. it didn break me out but it did not prevent acne. it is fast absorbing(due to alcohol) and not sticky. Also, it brightens skin tone/get rids of yellowish looking skin(temporary). it hydrates my skin immediately. however, it is very expensive for a bottle. i wont repurchase.

my advice is only buy it if your skin is really bad or if you can afford it. otherwise, it is not necessarily a must have because there are better alternatives. ie loreal youth code boosting essence(boost skincare efficiency and skin texture), missha treatment essence(hydrating purpose) etc

Popular Moisturizers