Coty Truth or Dare by Madonna

Truth or Dare by Madonna

3.6

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Very pleasantly surprised by this. I had read many places that this is a dupe or very similar to Fracas. I will say, this is not even close to Fracas, however, this is a delicious scent that I feel is more of a crowd-pleaser and I feel this is a "safe" fragrance compared to Fracas. Fracas to me is something you either will absolutely love or likely absolutely dislike. Truth or Dare is pretty 'safe' I feel, to wear to the office or to school. I would not wear Fracas to school or work, but that is just my humble opinion. Fracas is deep and heavy and can be overpowering. Truth or Dare is light and airy. I do not get the comparison between the two at all. To me, Truth or Dare is more similar to the 'original' Michael Kors for Women or Tocca Florence. To me, Fracas is dark and woody, Truth or Dare is light and airy. To me, Fracas smells like dirty socks (sorry, I even tested by spraying Fracas on one of my blouses and hung the blouse in an open room to see if it just mixes with my chemistry in a bad way, and it was still too heavy and too dark and too thick). Truth or Dare is clean and light and not heavy at all.

Both fragrances last all day on me. I kind of wish I returned my Fracas to Nordstrom..as it just is too heavy for me. Might donate it or give it to a friend who likes dark heavy fragrances, it just is not for me. Truth or Dare is a surprise delight (and for the love of God, to me smells nothing like Fracas..it is like comparing dirty socks to a light clean soft breeze in the summer after a rain). My only very small complaint about Truth or Dare is the bottle. It is a very skinny bottle and for me with my bad wrists, it makes it awkward to use/spray. But I get around that, as I like the scent so well.

Not a fan of Madonna, and not a fan of Fracas, but I am glad to have discovered this fragrance. Surprising, very happy, very pleased, blind buy. And even though I have so many fragrances (and yes many that I own that imho do smell very similar to this one, MK, Coach, Tocca Florence, even Jennifer Aniston Lolavie), I would still repurchase this. The bottle is pretty, not expensive looking, but pretty, if a little thin to be comfortable to spray. So sorry to heavily compare this to Fracas, but after reading so many times about them being similar, I was curious, and found them to be as different as night and day. Fracas being night, Truth or Dare being day. Have a lovely day. :)

on 7/22/2016 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

my intro to white floral scents was the original kim k fragrance. since then i've been trying perfumes with similar notes. if i do a sniff by sniff comparison, i prefer kim k's play on tuberose & gardenia. truth or dare has a teensy bit more sillage. i liked t or d at first, but it's not a favourite. i will use it up though.

Top Notes: Neroli, Gardenia, Tuberose.

Heart Notes: Jasmine, Benzoin, Lily.

Base Notes: Musk, Amber, Vanilla.

Truth or Dare is a pretty, feminine white floral that is a near dupe of Fracas. Unlike Fracas, however, ToD features a prominent benzoin note and finishes with a simpler base of musk, amber, and vanilla. I blindly purchased both ToD and Truth or Dare Naked. Of the two, I like Truth or Dare Naked better. This is not to say I do not like ToD because I do. However, the quality of ToD is not as high as Fracas, and I already own Fracas, so I am unlikely to repurchase ToD once it is used up.

ToD is not a bad fragrance for its price point, but I cannot say it is very special. It is a reasonably good dupe of Fracas, so if Fracas is out of your budget, you certainly would not go wrong in purchasing ToD. Both of Madonna's fragrances are now discontinued, however, so if you are interested in trying them, I suggest you purchase them now whilst there are still plenty of bottles left on the market.

Fragrance: 6/10

Projection: 5/10

Sillage: 5/10

Longevity: 5/10

on 4/16/2016 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had expected a 'tuberose-bomb' after the reviews, but it turned out it is too sweet for my taste. As some have stated earlier, the first moment is really the best of this perfume for me - a dash of white florals, smelling expensive, promising something exquisite. But the base of amber, vanilla and benzoin are just too powerful building a thick sugary sweetness against which the florals don't stand a chance. It stepped into the 'candy'-territory for me, too much so to convey elegance.
The fluid is tinted and left a dark-orange shade stain (the colour of ToD Naked) for several days on the tester strip - so it might be good to avoid contact with white clothes, even if it should be washed out easily. Excellent longevity.

This perfume requires a certain personaity to be worn, nothing for shy, sensitive or dreamy girls - I could imagine this on a younger lady who doesn't hesitate nor isn't afraid to come over as assertive and doesn't really care what others might think about it: A strong-willed, practical woman with a self-confident attitude and manners who loves doing things in a grand scale; pretty much something Madonna would wear herself.

on 3/30/2016 3:44:00 PM

I like this. The opening is the best part, I get quite a hit of tuberose. It then turns creamy and sweet, and not as floral as I hoped. Drydown is gourmand with only a hint of floral, kinda middle of the road. Office appropriate.
It's not a fruity floral, yay.

on 3/29/2016 12:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Lately I have been in love with this perfume. I mostly like tart,spicy rose fragrances so Truth or Dare really seemed to be out of my comfort zone, but I wanted to find out more about white florals (I was only familiar with neroli and jasmine), so I ordered a sample of Truth or Dare and I loved it so much that I went on to get a gift set.

I think that the reason I find Truth or Dare really enchanting is that it is a truly multi-faceted, paradoxical perfume, playing on the contrast of in your face cloying sweetness and gentle innocent white flowers. It is a sickeningly sweet floral, a tuberose bomb with something like burning marshmallow (probably the benzoin) and synthetic vanilla, a really harsh and in your face scent scraping your throat and making you a bit nauseous, but also relaxed, confident and happy. On the other hand it also has this beautiful, fragile floral softness to it, smelling like a fresh bouquet of beautiful white flowers picked on a sunny spring day. I find the combination of screechy (almost cheap) sweetness and soft innocence intoxicating, and I am sure that this sultry but virginal perfume has a similar effect on members of the opposite (or relevant) sex.

As for sillage and longevity. This is an extremely potent scent, both very strong and longlasting. One spray is more than enough and stays on you for a day. The body lotion is also quite strong and super long lasting, it might even be a good substitute for the perfume itself.

Harsh
Screechy
Synthetic
Cheap
Sour

I was given this as an early birthday present so can't really comment on price. This is possibly one of the worst perfumes I've smelt. It smells like a cheap, poorly formulated fragrance oil you would find at a bargain store. All I can really smell is a sour generic white floral with some foodie notes. I'm not giving this a poor rating because it's a celebrity fragrance. I like Truth or Dare Naked.; It just genuinely smells awful on me.

A couple of my friends have tried it on too, just to make sure it wasn't only my body chemistry. It smelt marginally better on one friend, and no better on the other. We all agreed this is awful. Maybe I was given an old bottle. It's always a possibility, but really I don't care. This went in the bin. I tried to make it work by mixing it with a fragrance free body lotion. I thought this would take away the chemical sour screechiness but it didn't help at all.

The best thing I can say about it is that it only had moderate sillage and longevity, and it was fairly easy to wash off (thank goodness).

on 12/27/2014 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Truth or Dare by Madonna is one of my favorite celebrity scents and I (love to) wear it. The opening is rather generic with billowy white floral and a dash of aldehydes, but the rapid transition to animalic white floral adds a brilliant and modern twist. The tuberose, so loud in the opening, fades to the background and exposes a hefty dose of orange blossom and lily. Several reviewers describe the dry down as caramel or amber, but to me, ToD is all about the buttered popcorn. Compared to Fracas, ToD is almost “gourmand” and is stripped of most of the shrill green jasmine. The peach and oakmoss accords have been removed and the white florals are creamy instead of soapy. To me, ToD is a substantial departure from its inspiration and I would not consider one a replacement for the other.

The way Stephen Nilsen handled the relatively inexpensive ingredients deserves some recognition—to me ToD smells like it was plucked out of an ELDO lineup. I wonder if an ELDO collaboration would have produced a truly ground-breaking perfume or if Madonna is simply doing what she does best—repackaging, rebranding, and repurposing.

4/5

on 11/11/2014 2:34:00 PM

This is not, I repeat, not a Fracas dupe. Not even close. For a celebrity scent, it's very complex and has the sillage of a much more expensive perfume. I can appreciate the effort but on me, this smells saccharin. I like the smell on paper, but on my skin it starts out all caramel popcorn mixed with a little gardenia. But it's the drydown that kills this for me: think cake batter, carmel icing, and lemon scented Playdoh. It's weird. Soooo sweet. Not for me.

on 9/29/2014 9:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I mostly got a big blast of white florals, which is not my favorite thing. I couldn't detect the vanilla or caramel at all, sadly. A pass for me, though not a bad fragrance. I just don't see the point of yet another Big White Floral that doesn't distinquish itself from the hundreds (if not thousands) out there. An okay fragrance and worth a try if you like these notes or BWF is your go-to. Otherwise, eh.

Popular Fragrances