Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color

No Image

2.9

This review is for Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Blonde in shade LB1. I used it for a root touch up because I wanted a high lift but did not want to risk bleaching again. As you can see in the before photo, my roots looked awful before! Very dark brown and with some ginger to them. Also very uneven (looks like I have a 'root cap' on lol!). In the after photo you can see that it did lift a couple levels, also it evened out the color a lot! But it wasn't 4 levels of lift, and its pretty brassy too, unlike a true cool blonde. But my hair condition is still decent, the mixture was super easy to mix and apply, also easy to rinse. Even with the high volume (level 40) developer, this dye did not bother my sensitive scalp AT ALL. I might use it just one more time in a week or so to try to get it a little lighter then finish off with my violet shampoo and conditioner to get the last of the brass out. Its no super-lifting miracle blonde, but its a decent, gentle lift for the price.

on 12/28/2015 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I used this product in cool light brown on dyed brown hair. I know, I know, not really what it's for, but I didn't feel like bleaching...anyway...

This product comes with all the basics of course; developer, creme color, gloves, and a quaint little tear drop shaped oil to hydrate your hair and make the dye smell better...do nothing for you this little deceptive oil will! It really did smell great in the package, but this dye smells akin to diesel exhaust and will probably choke you out as much (ventilation seriously suggested!)

The directions say for a whole head application, start with the ends and leave it on for 10 minutes then work the rest into your roots and let it sit for 20 minutes...Do NOT do this if you despise "hot roots" as much as I do! Unless you are going for a reverse ombre effect, I suggest putting it on your ends for 20, then your roots for 10.

As I said, I am terribly fearful of hot roots, so when I exited the shower and I saw my roots glinting back at me in the mirror, I had flashbacks of emergency drugstore runs and a lot of tears. However, after my hair dried, it all seemed to even out; dodged the bullet this time.

My hair feels a little dry compared to how it felt before, and the ends seemed to have soaked up just a bit more color than the top (maybe on account of my rebellious "time swap", but I'd rather have a bit of extra color on the ends than glaringly bright roots.), but all in all it's pretty even. It still smells pretty bad though.

Bottom line, it's decent stuff. It acts like most drugstore brands act as to be expected. Oh, and the conditioner is a cute little bottle instead of a slippery tube or god forbid a "tear open package" (nothing like trying to open that sucker in the shower after you forgot to use scissors with slippery hands only to shoot it across the bathroom ending in what looked like an unfortunate premature ejaculation massacre.)

All in all, not bad stuff, just don't expect a miracle.

on 6/17/2015 7:46:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used the LB1 shade on my very dark brown, near black hair. I ended up with a light brown/golden-y orange type color, I'm not sure how to describe it but I really like the color. There were some pretty blonde bits at the top of my head too, but most of it was this orange-golden brown color that was really flattering. Obviously, it's not going to come out light blonde as on the box because there's no bleach, but the results were still great! The ends and bottom of my hair were darker than the top, so I might redo them but the difference is hardly noticeable. I only used one box on waist length hair, and it just barely covered it. I think if I had used two boxes I would have had enough to completely lighten the ends and make it totally even. My hair feels very healthy though, it's soft and virtually undamaged.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

So, I'm actually surprised by how pleased I am with this product. I purchased the LB2 shade to bump up my level 4 brown hair in the fringe I am currently growing out to help reduce the contrast between my natural shade and the balayage blonde highlights I recently got as my colorist didn't place any highlights in that area.
I was really nervous about the DIY scenario but I used it to place a few additional blonde pieces in my bangs. I tried a few times (very carefully), which I'm sure is not recommended but I didn't want to take the risk of the dye lifting my hair too much and not matching the rest of my hair. In the end when I left it on for the recommended 30 minutes, what I got were some subtle but noticeable highlights that match the rest of my hair really well!
My hair still feels pretty healthy despite the fact that I did it about four times. It does pull pretty warm but my hair always does that so I'm not counting that against the product. All in all, I'm glad I tried it out.

Do not buy this! I bought it the shade B4 and it actually made my medium brown hair darker.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

I like this in the very dark black color. The price is good and the color is intense. However it kind of stained my scalp.

this was one of the worst at home dyes that I have ever used!!!!! It says if you're hair is dark brown it will be dyed blonde....well that didnt happen..i will never buy this again

on 9/26/2014 10:16:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Update 1/2017
I'm still hoarding two boxes that i bought a couple years ago for fear that this would be discontinued (I've only tried this once, for at-home balayage) .

Garnier still sells this shade Cool Brown B1. On thier website the shade got a lot of bad reviews, though. Many people were complaining that either it did no color lifting, or that it left brassiness or "hot roots" (I believe that means when your roots turn orange-y). Guess I'll be holding on to my two old boxes.

According to Salley Supply's website, unopened hair color has a long shelf life:
"Hair color products used to have freshness dates stamped on them. Some still do, but manufacturer testing has shown that the shelf life of hair color is almost unlimited if the bottle has never been opened."

A little scary but if it turns out funky, I figure, it's just hair, it will grow out!

--------
ORIGIBAL REVIEW
I purchased this in Cool Brown B1 ("Ultra Lightening Browns for Darker Hair").

I wanted very subtle highlights and was hoping to find an at-home hair color that would not look brassy or orange on my very dark brown hair, which has a lot of red undertones. I hadn't colored my hair for many years, but I found it fairly easy to use.

I applied it to tiny sections (10-20 strands) at a time with the edge of a brush, concentrating on the ends, and diffusing it with my (gloved) fingers upward until it got 1-3" away from my scalp (diy balayage if you will). The result was subtle highlights that added dimension, and no roots (it was completely unnoticeable as it grew out). The color result was a nuetral chocolate tone with a hint of gold and red (pretty close to the box color). It was only a shade or two lighter than my natural color, which is exactly what I wanted.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

I just tried my second box of LB3, Ultra Light Beige Blonde. Yes, my color outcome was not like the picture on the box...it never will be. However I went from a Level 7 (my natural blonde roots) to a Level 10 from a boxed dye (the rest of my hair was about a 9). I am impressed.

I wanted to go lighter, so I researched this brand/color and tried it about 5 weeks ago. I followed the directions and my hair was light, bright and without any brassiness (I used Ardell UnRed of course as well). Got my second box and did the same, and the results are amazing for a boxed dye. One issue is it obviously causes a bit of dryness afterward, more so than other boxed dyes (obviously), so I deep condition right after with something other than what is in the box. Color lasted as well, didn't fade at all until the 5 week mark. No breakage either.

I will buy this again anytime I want this really light, beige blonde hair. It's easy and it works for me.

on 3/17/2014 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm very upset with my results. I used one of the brown shades and ended up with blonde roots and the rest is still black. I haven't dyed my hair in six months. I've used the reds before, much sooner after other dye jobs, and I liked those. However, this time it didn't turn out at all.

Popular Hair Color Products