Nailene Sensationail Color Gel Polish

4.5

on 8/18/2017 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I have the colors "Left Me Jaded" and "I'm So Bord-eaux". I haven't yet tried the Sally Hansen gel polishes to compare to them.

Right off the bat, I really like these gel polishes. I'm So Bord-eaux is slightly more transparent, and needs two thicker, or three thinner coats to make it fully opaque. It's a deep purple red, very vampy.
Left Me Jaded is completely opaque in 2 coats, a bright turquoise jade color.

They cure in 30 seconds under LED with no tackiness. So far I've gotten 5 days without chipping on my hands, even though I'm fairly rough on my then. On my toes I've had to soak it off after about 3 weeks of wear without chipping. I didn't use a topcoat, the gel is extremely shiny without it but it would probably improve the wear time.

I think my favorite part of using gel is the lack of smell. I find that these smell somewhat sweet, a little bit like chemicals, with no lingering scent after curing.

My only complaint was that the brush in Left Me Jaded was split down the center, making it hard to paint an even stroke but that seemed like a one-off defect.

on 2/20/2017 12:24:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Had my first Shellac manicure, and I love it but don't want to pay $35 for each visit so brought a Sally Hansen start kit and was very disappointed. The polish only lasted 3 days before it starts chipping, but the colour range it beautiful. I am on a mission to find a brand that would match the Shellac finish, and came across Sensationail starter kit for half price ($25 AUD at Priceline). Read the instructions, and followed it to the "T", and my nail looks and feel fantastic, It is not exactly the same as the Shellac but very close to it. I went back to the store and got my self more colours. I am a newbie with gel polish but I strongly recommend this brand over Sally Hansen. I brought a bottle of Methylate sprite as substitute to the alcohol wipes and does the same job as the cleansing alcohol wipes.

I purchased this at home LED kit because I love a gel manicure, but didn't want to keep subjecting my hands to the UV light. I have had several skin cancers. This kit works great and it came with a very pretty berry color with a light sparkle. The first couple of times I had to use the instructions. My manicure lasts almost two weeks and it makes my normally weak nails very strong. Although it comes with very small bottles of base coat and polish, I would definitely purchase this product again.

on 6/5/2015 6:37:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

I was so skeptical buying Sensationail, mainly because of the price in the UK - the starter kit is £70 ($105). Also I find that these expensive 'do at home' products never work (I have lots of home wax kits to prove it). I managed to get quite a good deal though and found a 'deluxe' kit on Boots.com for £55, which included both the 'Raspberry Wine' colour and 'Pink Chiffon'. It also came with full size bottles of the primer and base coat so it was a really good deal. I've never had gels done at a salon before but friends had and I was really impressed. This kit is great, a little bit fiddly (you have to avoid your cuticles and cap the ends of your nails, and my nails are tiny and ugly so this is so hard!) but the ones I haven't picked off (bad habit!) have lasted a week without chipping. Have bought more colours since (Taupe Tulips, Gray Day, a sparkly purple and a coral) and love them all. Fantastic quality.

My first try with Sensationail...I have extremely brittle nails so none of the regular polishes worked very well. The Sally Hansen Miracle Gel did last a day or 3, but that was like Christmas for me...I go to the salon every once in a while to get a UV polish, but my busy career and raising two kids by myself prevented me from going back to touch up or soak off. And the conversations.... Can someone please tell the salon-ladies I would visit a womens-group if I wanted to talk about my divorce, childhood and sexlife?? I wanted a manicure, not therapy!! so I ended up soaking it off by myself, using acetone an axe to get it done. Time for a bloody change I say! I decided to order the Sensational starterkit in Scarlet Red after reading merely positive reviews (I love to kid myself) and studied the instructions carefully. I paid 80 including the scrape-off tool, so that equals 2 salon-visits, which seems a pretty amazing deal to me if it works. I had to remove my salon UV manicure first, which was a pain, hope to get some useful tips on that. After buffing up my nails I used the primer. It was a little sticky but dried soon enough. The basecoat immediately taught me to apply a thinner layer, the lamp shows you exactly where you applied and it seemed to be a bit much and runny... But hey, a girl's gotta learn. Two color layers and a topcoat later my nails look absolutely fabulous! The color is bright and opaque, shiny as hell and they seem dry and solid. Let's see how this matches the salon quality I'm used to. It did take me forever to do this, but I guess practice makes perfect! So far very happy with results

on 9/14/2015 11:55:00 AM

I bought this for about $40 at Walgreens. I got the Pink Chiffon Starter Kit.
I have to say that I LOVE this!
I have two kids, two dogs, a part time job at a mayor retail/drug store and use a lot of water on my hands, so regular nail polish doesn't seem to last more than a day...but with the UV gel, my manicure lasts the full 2 weeks!
The starter kit came with the lamp, cleanser, primer, base/top coat and the pink chiffon color, nail file, orange stick, lint free squares, and a lovely detailed instructions leaflet on how to apply and remove the gel polish.
At my first couple of applications, it seemed like it took ages to get the manicure done, since its a whole other process other than the traditional apply and let dry.....but with practice comes expertise, now I can get it all done in less than 10 minutes.
The product is well worth the investment.
I will also be buying the other colors as well....which are, by the way, gorgeous!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

I bought the kit on sale at Pricelines when it was 25% off, I think it was around $65 AUD. One of the best beauty purchases I have ever made. I am in love with gel polish, because it makes my nails nice and strong, without having to remove and repaint every 2~3 days seeing I can not stand even the slightest chipping. Although, I don't know about the primer, once I put it on with the gel polish, and it peeled off in whole sheets in the bath water! I am always very careful to seal the end of the top coats too, so I have no idea what happened, but I have been going sans the primer ever since, and found the polish actually lasts better without it! It can last up to 2 weeks before it grows out so much and I have to redo it.

Of course, using gel polish doesn't mean you have to give up your normal nail polish collection, I have been combining my gel base/top coat with normal nail polish. Although it does take a little longer to apply than gel polish, it has the same lasting effect without the limited range of gel colours. Just have to make sure the polish is dry all the way through before applying the top coat though, or else things will get ugly.

Although removing it and prepping can be damaging to the nails (what with all the filing, scraping and soaking in acetone), I think the lasting power is unparalleled to any other polish and it is quite worth it. I do give my nails a chance to breath when I cut it though, so I go without polish when I clip them if it gets too long.

Oh, and did I mention, gel polish only drys out when it comes into contact with heat, so there is no issue with it getting too thick and difficult to apply if your store it properly - cool and dark cupboard is recommended.

on 2/14/2015 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral

I am in love!! I have painted my nails my whole life and they get thin, dry, brittle, and they peel and get sensitive. Normally I paint my nails every 1-2 days with normal Polish. Since switching to gel manicures, my nails are strong, long, and never ever break or peel. Gel acts like a strengthening coat of material that makes nails incredibly strong.

Gel manicures at the salon here are $30+ tip so I sang do it very often. I found this kit at Walgreens on sale for $39.99!!

I got the raspberry wine color and it's gorgeous!! Application is putzy and time consuming...around 1 hour, but lasts me 10 days before they are grown out enough that they must be redone.

Removal I think is easy. Soak cotton rounds in acetone, apply to nail and wrap with foil. Leave sit 15 minutes and use an orange stick to peel it off. Just do it while you're watching tv. But I do think the longer the nails are on, the easier to get off. If you remove a few days after painting, it will be difficult.

Overall, excellent purchase!!!!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This is just the most amazing thing ! I used to get gel nails all the time and pay anything up to £20 per time ! But I can do them again and again and again whatever colour i wish with this pack it's amazing and to say that I was paying that much every few weeks and now I can pay that for 1/2 bottles which last AGES it's amazing ! Love it !

on 4/13/2015 3:13:00 PM

Gel in general is a very efficient way to polish nails. Sensationail is a great system that is less expensive than most.

Pros:
No dry time: no instant smudges, chips, etc.
lasts a significantly longer time than regular nail polish
shiny finish lasts for duration of manicure
colour selection is decent
gives structure to nail, can be used to help it grow out
Regular polish can be applied on top of gel if change is necessary
Can be used with any led lamp, other soak off gel polish can be used with Sensationail lamp

Cons:
Some formulations are sheer, multiple coats are required
careful application is required - thick layers or flooding may result in temporarily painful curing
removal is tedious- requires an acetone soak and scraping natural nail plate
preping may be damaging - requires filing on natural nail plate and cleansing with alcohol

Popular Polishes