Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer

Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer

3.7

on 5/31/2013 12:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

Can hundreds of excellent reviews be wrong? Talk about a HG concealer! The brightener shade surprised the heck out of me! Full coverage that doesn't look dry or sink into lines, isn't all shimmery, and lasts all day. This peachy pink product wakes up my eyes like nothing I've tried before...and I have tried most, if not all the other highly rated correctors and concealers. I'lI admit there are many that cover well but mature under eye skin needs a product that doesn't emphasize all the other issues we have going on. This one addresses them all and does so beautifully, IMHO. Try this and return it if it doesn't work for you. P.S. I also bought the medium shade and while it works very well too, nothing comes close to the brightener shade. For reference, I'm NW30 and it's not too light for me. I don't need any other concealer over it. For those who find this is creasing, try dusting a tiny bit of translucent or HD finishing powder immediately (before it has time to crease) after you apply the concealer and it shouldn't crease for the rest of the day. Also note that it's very opaque and just a small amount is needed. Any concealer you layer on in large amounts is going to crease and look cakey. Less is definitely more here. In the past I've always switched up my concealer daily depending on how my circles look but now I only use this...everyday. I dab it on my clean finger, tap it under my eyes (don't forget the inner corners) then buff it in with a fluffy brush and set with a small amount of HD or finely milled finishing powder. Try this and get ready for compliments on how great you look!

on 11/20/2011 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I like this a lot.

For reference, I have really bad dark under eye circles. Heredity. This actually makes them look virtually non-existent. I had given up trying to cover them, because nothing worked. Instead, I just had a ton of weird looking makeup under my eyes, but still could see the circles. Then, I read the reviews here and figured, what do I have to lose? It's not too expensive and I can return it if I want to..

There's an ingredient Hydroxl, that is supposed to get rid of dark circles. We'll see if that is true, but this product definitely covers mine, which is no small feat.
This is amazing. I really hope they never D/C this.

The one thing that worries me is the ingredient, Cyclo...something. I forget how to spell it, but I recognize it as being highly comedogenic. However, since it's just used under my eyes, it may be okay. I'll update if I have problems with breakouts.

EDIT; It gave me pimples around my eyes. I'm clear and don't have a problem with acne since going on an antiandrogen, so it was this. Pity, because I liked it. It was the cyclo -- that stuff is HIGHLY comedogenic and one of the worst acne offenders. I went back to YSL touche eclat.

on 12/8/2013 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

This stuff is magic, better than anything I've found at any price for color CORRECTION. It works amazingly well with other products to achieve excellent COVERAGE but a lot of the negative reviews seem to be based on expectations that it will do things it wasn't designed for.

Things to know to make the most of Age Rewind:

1) The peach color makes it perfect for color correcting the purple of dark circles (rather than yellow). It's thin, light texture changes the COLOR of the circles without adding an extra gloopy layer under your eyes.

2). My lids are purple too so it works well above the eye for this purpose as well.

3). It may not, however, be heavy enough to CONCEAL the darkness of circles. In which case, you use a CONCEALER over it that is a shade lighter than your foundation. But if you don't color CORRECT first, the amount of CONCEALER you will need to cover your circles can make it appear cakey and thick. Ironically two thin layers together give better coverage with much less product than concealer alone. I like Marc Jacobs new concealer.

4). If you are prone to creasing you will need to set it with very fine powder. People with oily skin would do well to use Wayne Goss's tissue absorption technique first; those with dry skin will need to insure properly hydrated skin. Nothing you can do with cosmetics can make those issues go away. I use Tarte's smooth operator to set my concealer, better than any powder I've found.

5). If your makeup is disappearing in a few hours try fixing it first. I know UD has a makeup finishing spray but I haven't tried it. I use Ben Nye final seal. Cheap and works really well.

I use a Shiseido primer first but YMMV. And I always check my makeup in bright light to make sure it looks as sheer as possible. It takes some practice to get it right but it's worth the effort.

In short, if you use Age Rewind concealer properly, it will not let you down. But in many cases it can't handle the entire lift on its own.

on 6/6/2016 12:23:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I don't understand how people can say this is "unhygienic" . You use a doe foot applicator over and over and mascara wands and you're not crying about it.

Phobias aside, this is a great, creamy concealer to hide life's little faults.

Would totally rebuy.

on 7/10/2012 9:18:00 PM

This is the third version of the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer range - first was the squeeze tube simply called "Instant Age Rewind Undereye Concealer" (discontinued). Second version was the "Instant Age Rewind Double Face Perfector" with the doe-foot applicator on one end for the concealer, and a brush applicator for the highlighter (recently discontinued in favour of this newest version). In terms of the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind "family" of concealers, I'd rank the Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer second out of the three. My favourite version was the Double Face Perfector in terms of coverage and longevity for my dark undereye circles. The original version had a very thin consistency and worked better as a brightener than a concealer.

I own the Eraser in 3 versions: Medium 130, Neutralizer 150 and Brightener 160. I originally bought Medium to use on its own but found that 1) it was slightly too dark for my NC25 skin tone 2) it didn't conceal my undereye circles completely. So I bought the Neutralizer and Brightener during a BOGO deal. The Neutralizer made all the difference for me - it helped to lighten the Medium concealer shade as well as provide a base to cancel out the darkness prior to the concealing step. I don't much care for the Brightener as it's too cool toned for my skin - I've used it as a highlighter in the inner corners and cheekbones but most days I'm too lazy to do this extra step.

The product itself has a silione-y feel to it and can create a very smoothed appearance in the undereye area (I use this concealer solely for undereyes) but it could appear cakey if applied too heavily. I apply a thin layer of the Neutralizer in a patting motion, then I apply a regular layer of the concealer on top - let it all sit for about 30 seconds before I pat to blend. Sometimes I set it with a loose powder but it's not essential (I use BE Well Rested). I don't find this product to settle into lines or accentuate fine lines. The resulting coverage is very good but the lasting power is not as good as the Double Face Perfector, in my experience.

As mentioned by others below, the packaging is not ideal - the sponge tip on my concealer actually worked loose from the bottle and popped right off. It was quite messy to push it back into the bottle, especially since I'm not supposed to wash it. The little clear cap gets quite messy and there's always the risk of losing it. I don't apply the product directly from the sponge to my eyes - I use my ring finger to get the concealer off the sponge and apply from my finger - not entirely sanitary but I prefer using the warmth of my fingers to apply the product. I didn't experience any issue with product dispensing from the click action dispenser - usually 2 twists does it for me per usage. I quite like the glass bottle - I can see exactly how much product is left.

I'm nearly finished the Medium concealer shade and considered purchasing the next shade down, Light 120, but it is very similar to the Neutralizer shade. When I compare it to the Neutralizer, it's just slightly darker and peachier - I think the Light shade would be too light on its own for me. I find there are big gaps in shades between each step. So I ended up buying another Medium and will continue to pair it with the Neutralizer (I use the concealer vs Neutralizer at a ratio of 2:1) It costs about $12 CAD for 6ml of product - I wait for sales to pick this up.

on 3/9/2016 3:00:00 PM

I've been laughing over all the recent makeup trends. Baking, highlighting, contouring, creating brows with the squared-off inner edge and the swooping outer line--sometimes that outer edge is drawn all the way down so that the brow looks like an "C" lying on its side. Ugh, I hate almost all these trends. I've noticed, too, that women cover up their beauty by indulging in these trends and that so many of the end up looking ALMOST EXACTLY ALIKE.

So using concealers to highlight is quite the trend now, and this particular concealer in Neutralizer is a top pick. (The other top pick, by LA Girls, is only so-so, barely worth mentioning. But so the trend goes.) I do use this Maybelline concealer, and I do highlight a bit, but use a light touch and blend very carefully.

This is a good concealer. I don't "bake" with it--that trend may be the dumbest one of all. Because I have almost black circles under my eyes, I apply the concealer, let it set a minute, then use a finely milled pressed powder over it. It works well, has exactly the same effect as "baking."

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

Awful stuff. I've tried using it in a variety of ways to no avail. It's very matte and is perfect for exaggerating wrinkles under the eyes.

Yes, it conceals dark circles. Yes, it feels moisturising and light. No, it no is not flattering unless you have tight, young skin. No, I don't like the fact that it comes with its own fluffy sponge attached - a fabulous breeding ground for bacteria considering how many times its going to be reused before the amount of product that it services runs out.

I decided to try using it as a more general concealer around the nose & on pigmented and blotchy areas of the face that don't need a more serious concealer in order to use it up. It creates the same problem: an overly matte effect which sticks out like a sore thumb (and I don't like 'brightening'/'illuminating' products and use setting powder to matte down my complexion).

Well, I suppose it's no great loss as it's absolutely chock full of carcinogens, allergens and ingredients that are known or suspected to contribute to auto-immune problems. It's been binned.

I generally dislike liquid concealers (never enough coverage) and I hate twist-up packaging so this wasn't even something on my radar until I saw really positive reviews on YouTube. I have really bad dark undereye circles and they're genetic so there's not much to be done about them. This one does a really good job at covering them up. I've never had a concealer that completely eliminated my dark circles and this one is no exception but the coverage it DOES give me is really great. Many liquid concealers I've tried before have just not given me enough coverage without looking cakey, this one doesn't take a lot of layers and provides nice, luminous coverage. I do have to mention that while I don't typically wear a full face of foundation, I usually wear foundation under my eyes (blended out of course) just to help out my concealer. Well, one day I decided to skip the foundation as this concealer's not at all drying and has pretty good coverage. For some reason this does NOT perform well without foundation, for me anyhow. First off it didn't provide quite as much coverage which is odd since I usually only use a very thin layer of a light coverage foundation under my eyes anyhow. After I apply the foundation under my eyes I can't even see a difference in the mirror so I don't know why the fact that I didn't use foundation would make a noticeable difference in coverage for this concealer. That isn't the biggest problem though. Without foundation, this concealer got cakey. I moisturized like I usually do and put this concealer on top and it settled into fine lines more and it was harder to work with. Odd as I've been able to wear other favorite concealers (Sonia Kashuk concealer palette) with or without foundation but this one I will only wear with foundation. As far as the packaging, it works surprisingly well considering it's a twist-up. My previous luck with similar packaging has always been too much product released all at once. I'm sure you know what I mean...you twist and you twist and nothing comes up so you wait...still nothing comes up so you give it a couple more twists and wait...and repeat and then all of a sudden it all comes up at once. This doesn't do that which I am very thankful for. There IS a problem with this packaging when it comes to travel though. I packed this up with me on a trip (flight) and I guess on the return trip the packaging got damaged somehow. It still appeared in-tact and I could twist it but instead of getting the product out, the top section would just slowly start to twist off. The problem is that with this type of packaging, there is no way to get the remainder of the product out once that twist mechanism is broken. Something to keep in mind if you intend to take this on the plane with you! 4 stars because of the odd foundation issue that I've never had with other concealers. I said I wouldn't buy this product again because it was a bit frustrating to have a mostly full concealer be rendered completely useless like that when none of my other makeup items were affected. It requires special care when traveling and with the new liquids regulations in place I don't like taking anything even resembling a liquid in carry-on and I don't want to have a plastic baggy just for this one item. It's just more trouble than it's worth as it IS a good concealer but there are other ones I love that don't require as much care.

I purchased this in Neutralizer and Brightener as part of my quest to properly conceal my under eye dark circles which, during my research, has exposed me to the concepts of color correcting, brightening and highlighting in addition to just plain ole concealing. Whoda thunk this was such a complicated science??

Finding a concealer that does all this has been challenging to say the least and I'm finding out probably doesn't exist in this reality, but I keep trying...Most conceal OR brighten OR color correct and many end up fading away OR creasing into my fine lines...

I'll start w/ the Neutralizer. This does an OK job of concealing my circles, but it does end up creasing unless I set w/ powder which in and of itself is a whole 'nother job because too little powder = not enough setting power and too much = dreaded cakiness. So that bugs me. It does spread nicely and is easily buildable (again, not too much or I end up looking 90 years old due to cakiness). It doesn't fully conceal my circles

The highlighter = again, I have to be careful for the above reasons and if I do put on top of whatever concealer I'm test driving at the time, I have to be extra careful not to disturb the layer of concealer already applied. I have, however, found a lovely alternative use = I dot along the top of my cheekbones after applying blush and center of forehead for a lovely subtle highlighting look. I will lightly dot under eyes and in corner of eyes and that works, again as long as I'm super careful w/ the application.

Long and short = I'll end up using all the Highlighter and will probably end up swapping away the Neutralizer.

I gave this product a 4 since the Neutralizer = 3 and the highlighter = 5...

on 12/3/2011 8:12:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I purchased the Fair and the Brightener shades. The fair is too pale and I was immediately regretting my purchase. Then, I tried the Brightener. I applied my foundation (Smashbox Skin)with a sponge around my eyes, applied the Brightener and finished with a light dusting of Sonia Kashuk's brightening powder. OMG! It looks like I am back from zombieland!! No more dark shadows. And it lasted all day. I am very pleased. I have also tried correctors from BB, LM, Pixi, Benefit and countless other. None of these worked for me as they are so thick and pastey.
The sponge applicator does not bother me. You can apply it with the sponge or dab it on your hand and apply as you like.