Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Toit

3.5

on 8/9/2015 7:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Oh, how I wish I could wear this perfume! I love the initial fresh scents, and even somehow like the compost notes, but annoyingly this dries quite quickly down to a strong ambery musk - all too strong for my liking and reminds me of a generic men's cologne. I bought this on a whim and sadly it'll be left to sit in its box, unused.

on 8/6/2015 10:31:00 AM

Absolutely love this clean (but not soapy) scent. Doesn't last very long, unfortunately, but is still a beautiful fragrance that almost works as aromatherapy for me -- it makes me feel energetic and lighter.

To Read all 23 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I love the shimmering top and middle notes, the grapefruit, grassy notes and sweet honeyed florals waft over exactly as it does in a summer garden on a balmy breeze. I can tell its a quality fragrance, its complex yet smoothly layered, everything fits.

The dry-down is initially oriental amber musk enriched by a touch of rosemary. Its in the style of Burberry's "Touch" or Avon's "Be Tempting" if you know it. I find it too cloying and sickly, which is such a shame as the top and mid notes are so beautiful.

However, the perfume has another surprise. After 10 - 12 hours the oriental amber is barely there and rosemary and woods develop...It really finishes off the garden story Hermes has woven for us so skillfully. I love this last bit! I can see the unisex character of the fragrance at this point, I think that Rosemary can smell divine on a man. This final herbal wood notes softly fade over the next 12 hours till I can just detect the faintest whiff by holding my wrist up to my nose. Total staying power from a single EDT spray is 24 hours on me. I saw another review saying he experienced 12 hours too so I think it has good longevity.

on 4/4/2014 5:10:00 AM

I've been looking for perfumes that my now choosy nose (getting older) will like.
When I saw this at the airport while waiting for my flight, I tried it because I saw green, I think, citrusy, grassy, and little bit sweet, and I loved it. Unfortunately it doesn't last that long, so I will not repurchase. Although I noticed that it stays on your clothes if you spray some on them.

on 8/6/2013 5:15:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I love this scent after the initial spritz, but after 10-15 minutes it devolves into a cheap men's cologne scent. Initially I get sweet, fruity apple notes and a bit of grass. Soon after, all I get is a sharp, musky, almost "dirty" smell (is this the "compost" note?) Oddly enough, on clothes, it smells citrusy and similar to Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, but not on my skin. Anyways, I'm glad I spritzed myself silly with this at Sephora before plunking any money down for this scent.

Smells pretty good, but I'm not in love. It's more of a spring/summer scent. I would suggest it for the middle-age crowd, between the girlie, fruity scents and the Chanel/Fracas older women perfume lovers.

on 6/18/2012 12:04:00 PM

Winter update: Temps below 50 F, this perfume calms considerably. Its sort of a green powdery water scent. Like a mist from melted snow that had come off of a garden. Retry it!

On fabric, it smells of L'Artisan Dzongkha meets Acqua di Gio. Both fumes have a green somewhat aquatic note and also a screechy drydown that reminds me only of the smell of floor cleaner. I have wanted both of thse at one time or another, so on clothing there is a love/hate element.

On skin, however, it goes straight to floor cleaner.

The insert says its unisex, so I let the DH try it out: same effect.

Same safe square bottles as the others. I give up on Hermes.

EDIT: I have figured out exactly what this smells of. Fabuloso brand floor cleaner, particularly the lavender. It hits you in the back of the throat, choking and nauseating you.

Wow.. an ingenious counter assistant recommended this to me. I went shopping for some skin care, and she convinced me I may want to try a new perfume. I told her my all time spring favorite during the day is DKNY woman, and that I oddly sometimes enjoy flowery scents like Coco Mademoiselle EDT in the summer evening. She suggested DKNY pure to me, and this one as a more interesting choice. As it grew on my hand, I started smelling it more and more frequently, which left her smiling and saying she'd thought I would like it. As she saw I was not really convinced I needed a perfume right now, but liked it quite a lot, she filled a tester for me. She described this perfume really nicely as a fresh clean scent with some unusual flowery notes. I used the tester for days and now know I need this perfume. Its basic scent lasts a couple of hours on my wrist, which is long for my standard.

I went online to see how other people describe it. I guess I know why I love it so much - my favourite scent in the world is freshly cut spring grass. Reminds me of my childhood spring enthusiasm. Apparently, this perfume reminds lots of people of freshly cut grass. it is more complex than that, though. As with many unusual perfumes, trying it out on oneself probably is key. Will be getting this tomorrow. What a lovely, unusual summer scent!!!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

When I smell this fragrance, the first thing that hits my nose is cucumber, and lots of it! It even almost reminds me of the smell of Dove's deodorant 'cucumber and green tea'. Then, at intervals some flowery notes peer in. If anything, this fragrance comes off as fresh and is categorized appropriately; in the green category. Its a very pleasant scent, but there are so many scents in the contemporary market just like it. In addition, whereas its' cousin, un jardin sur el nil is very complex, almost too much so, this fragrance is too linear and simple for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Simply gorgeous! Green, crisp, refreshing, light - everything you want for spring season. Another beautiful Jean Claude Ellena composition.

Popular Fragrances