Global Keratin treatment

3.6

on 2/25/2017 8:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

My hair is fragile and extremely fine and frizzy. I've had problems with previous straighteners when operators used too high heat while processing my hair. The Global Keratin product worked extremely well when the heat used was 375 degrees. The only problem I had was that the result on my very fine hair was great...until a "required" smoothing masque was used after the process. WITHOUT that smoothing mask, the result was amazing. But because my hair is NOT coarse, I really should not have had that smoothing mask applied to me. It immediately diminished the diameter of my hair and made it look too thin. The bottom three inches looked like it had disappeared! Also, the daily use products contained ingredients trichologists objected to so I used safe sulfur-free substitutes. My problem is that my professional stylist now refuses to do my treatment because she feels she has to use the smoothing mask in my hair which is already too fine and smooth. Help! Please find me a stylist who will use this great product but will not feel compelled to use the smoothing masque! I live in Milwaukee Wisconsin and my email is Junebud616@gmail.com

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I was so SO nervous about getting a keratin treatment done. With the horror stories of formaldehyde, hair loss, fried hair, etc. I was super afraid. But when a hairdresser (who happens to be my fiance's aunt) reached out to me and asked if I would be the "test bunny" for the GK Keratin treatment because she wanted to carry it in her salon and just got certified, and I would receive it for FREE, I could NOT pass it up!

At the time (I'm reviewing this a year after I got my treatment) I had long, elbow length hair. My hair is naturally dry, and wavy (very curly when short) and color treated. My stylist used the strongest formula (resistant, I think is what it was called) and applied it to my hair, blow dried it, and straightened it (using a flat iron at around 375 F).

Instantly fell in love-- my hair was like a mirror it was so shiny and flat and it looked as though I had naturally pin straight hair. My hair never looked so great flat ironed!

Long story short, my results lasted for multiple months, more than the months they said it would last because I only wash my hair around 2-3 times a week. I also did not use the GK shampoo and conditioner because it left my hair smelling like rotten eggs (not sure why, maybe an allergic reaction?) so I picked a sulfate free, sodium-chloride free shampoo and conditioner.

Also, I credit this treatment to helping me grow out my hair since my hair never got as knotted up and therefore didn't break as easily as before I had the treatment. Also, let me tell you, this treatment makes your hair completely resistant to high humidity and that is my favorite part about it! And that's also why I plan on getting it again!

IF YOUR NERVOUS: here are some of my personal tips...

-Use a trusted stylist (if you can't go for someone you know, as I did, go for someone with specific EXPERIENCE in keratin treatments)

-If your worried about the high heat, like I was, ask them to set the flat iron at a lower heat. Keratin treatments supposedly only work when you seal them in with a 400 F flat iron, but that would have ruined my fragile hair and my stylist used a flat iron set at 375 and the treatment locked in just fine!

-You don't have to use the recommended products. YES they do contain small amounts of the GK keratin in them BUT it is in such a small quantity, I can't believe it would do anything. Its important to get sulfate, sodium-free products and I even went with silicone-free products (personal preference) and had great results. I used a keratin formulated deep conditioner often as well (Hask's Keratin Protein Deep Conditioning Packet).

-I experienced no hair loss. I think when people experienced hair loss it was because of the stylist getting the keratin solution on the scalp, blocking and choking the hair follicle and resulting in hair loss. My stylist was careful to keep the solution off my scalp (any experienced or trusted stylist will do this) and I was just fine.

-My keratin treatment has worn off, and my hair is back to its normal state (as far as I can tell, my hair is much longer now so of course it will behave differently than when it was shorter). There is no increase in split ends and my hair isn't burnt. I've seen reports of women saying their hair was fried once the keratin wore off-- I have no idea what that was about, but mine was A-okay!

I LOVE this treatment and will continue to get it. Yes its pricey, but it is so so worth it!

The best!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I purchased the GK pH+ shampoo and the Hair Taming System with Juvexin. I have had my wavy, frizzy hair treated many times with Copella, Braziliana, Brazilian Keratin Treatment, and some others. I get the best results with Copella from a salon. I used this at home, and I followed the directions and smoothed with a flat iron, but my hair didn't feel soft. My hair was straighter, but the rough curly texture was still there. My favorite part of the BKT treatments is when your hair feels so soft and silky when you blow it out. So for me, this was a waste of money.

on 6/22/2015 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This treatment is totally life changing. Since my teenage years I've struggled to tame my hair. It's fine and frizzy with an irregular curl pattern. Typically I take about an hour to wash, blow dry and style my hair with curling tongs/straightener. Even then, it doesn't look amazing - just normal.

I had the treatment done three days ago at a local salon. After the stylist applied the treatment, he let it sit for about half an hour. There were no fumes, however my scalp was almost unbearably itchy. The entire process took about 2.5 hours. When I left the salon my hair was poker straight, and had a funny scent (sort of like mouldy fruit). My stylist advised me to wait 48 hours before washing, but I left it 72 hours because I wanted to be sure I got the maximum possible effect.

I am absolutely thrilled with the results. My hair feels incredibly soft and strong. It dried smooth and silky, fairly straight with a slight body wave and some volume. It's the hair I've always wanted and rarely been able to achieve even with heat, product and styling tools. I feel so much more relaxed knowing that I won't have to struggle with my hair for a while, and I'm no longer dreading the next wash! Price of the treatment was $350 for my long hair, including shampoo and conditioner. Expensive, but entirely worth it.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Okay so I have really thin hair. I've had quite a few balding scares and have made quite a few trips to the dermatologist's only to confirm that I am not balding. You can see my scalp a lot irrespective of which side I part my hair. But I don't have hair fall or dandruff. My hair is just thin, has no volume and is prone to extreme frizz and dryness. It is slightly wavy with the back part being straight and the hair near my ears curling like an ugly spring. All in all, every day was bad hair day. I've always wanted to grow them out but have never been able to because once they get past the shoulder, they start to split and become disgusting. I've tried everything to tame them and get model like hair - homemade masks (egg, avocado, honey etc), trimmed them regularly, used product after product but NOTHING worked. Finally my stylist suggested I try GK and I was super apprehensive about the price but though what the hell and did it. It was really bad, going 3 days with super straight unwashed hair that wouldn't even move with the wind. My scalp started to itch and I started to look dirty. Finally they washed it off and dried it with a dryer. It still looked really straight and made me lose all volume. I hated it. So I washed at home to get rid of the "styling" and voila. I had the hair of my dreams. My hair was shiny and silky, barely needed to be combed. The treatment laid waste to all my other products and styling instruments! My hair is now perfect and it has grown to my waist :) All in all, I would highly recommend this product. Although for a few days you would lose volume, your hair just becomes amazingly healthy. You never have to worry about it. The treatment lasted me a disappointing 1 month the first time. But then I invested in sulphate free shampoo's and the second time it lasted me about 2 months. I just got my third treatment and i'm hoping it'll last longer.

on 6/15/2015 11:23:00 PM

I have just had my 3rd GK treatment done over the past year. I have very curly, thick and frizz prone hair which I typically colour lighter and this really helps tame my hair.
You do need to use a flat iron to get the full effect of the treatment though - it doesn't really do too much if you want to let it dry naturally and keep curly. I usually get this treatment done every 4 months or so and I wash my hair every 2nd day and use a weekly Keratin treatment. I always know when I am due to have the Keratin done again as the comb starts to rip through my hair after washing instead of it gliding through.
The treatment usually takes around 3 hours on my hair which is currently shoulder length and the product is left on for 45 minutes.
The smell is not too strong whilst the treatment is processing, I find it smells stronger on my hair the first few times that I wash it afterwards - there is a definite chemical smell, though it wears off when my hair is dry.
While the Keratin is processing my scalp sometimes tingles a little and the top of my ears do itch slightly, though I have not had an allergic reaction/red rash etc and it stops as soon as the product is washed off.
The only negative side apart from spending 3 hours in a salon and having itchy ears is the price - AUD $350.
I have not used any of the GK after- treatment products on my hair as yet as I have been very happy with the Coppola Keratin Complex range and also use the Liquid Keratin Fill Leave in spray. I would like to try them one day though for comparison.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I got a GK keratin treatment done last week and boy was it a good decision.

I have extremely wavy, unruly and dry hair. I have spent 30-40 mins trying to tame my hair only to go back to it's original disheveled self in a couple of hours. A few years ago I got a hair rebonding treatment done which damn near ruined my hair. It's akin to Japanese straightening. My hair would grow out and it would have a distinct line between the new waves and the treated hair. Anyway, I swore off that treatment after what it did to my hair.
I finally chopped off all the treated hair to let my natural waves come back. But maintaining it was still a hassle.
A few months ago I got a Brazilian blowout done and was mostly unhappy with the results. I don't think it lasted even a week. Then I read about Keratin treatments and even though they are expensive I decided to give it a shot. Best. Decision. Ever.

The stylist applied the protein to my thoroughly cleansed hair and then blow dried and meticulously flat-ironed it. There was a 72 hour waiting period, during which my hair was poker straight. I avoided getting it wet in that time.

Once I washed my hair and blow dried it, it was damn near perfect. NOT poker straight but shiny, neat with gentle waves. Just how I have always wanted. And I barely spent 5-10 minutes blow-drying it. Apparently, it is easy to flat-iron it as well if you want to wear your hair super straight.

I will definitely get this done again in a few months time or when it starts wearing off. I highly recommend it.

on 5/12/2015 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I get the kertain treatment about evry 2 to three months infact im due in bout two days. I agre with the post about the bad smell its very uncomforatabld and humiliating specially at work . And the smell varies from dead animal to toliet bowl wet dog. I imagine smoking makes it worse. It looks great infact it is comfortable to just wake up and not have to worry about styling. My hairs grows quicker and longer . I desperatly need a soulution if anyone could . Im not sure how this website works but if you could pm me asap. The smell is bad and the ventalation at work directly hits the top of my hair which than attaches to my uniform. Its very nerve racking. Wasnt sure what it was. I read somewhere that keratin doesnt allow your scalp to breathe properly trapping all the oils inside causing the smell

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hey guys this is my first review for any product which i think will be able to help many people like me ...as i was looking for any latest review before doing this treatment but could not find any ..

Finally i have done my GK keratin treatment 2 days back. After revewing all the websites and checking with my friends about the reaction of this treatment. So guys here is the good news there is not even a single thing which was harmful while doing this treatment or after that. I am very happy with results. My hair has become really dry after hair bleach and global hair colour and i had also done hair straighting few times. So i was really worried about my hair,health and pocket as this is quite an expensive treatment even in India.

NOW, let me share my experience with u guys ..it started with GK shampoo which had really nice & soothing fragrance , after that my hair was dried with hair dryer but in cold air. Then the GK Keratin cream was applied on my hair with very thin sections so that all the hair is covered nicely. And the wait start for 20 min after which my hair was blow dry and again i had to wait for another 5 min and finally my hair was ironed with hot iron. Which was bit of worried for me and after which i was expecting the hair wash so that i can experience my new hair but the stylist told me that i have to come back for wash after 48 hrs , which was little dissapointment for me but i believe we always have to wait for good things to come to us. My stylist has also given some instructions like don't tie ur hair and do not wash ur hair for 2 days. And finally its my final day of the treatment. My hair was washed with GK keratin shampoo and conditioner was applied for almost 5 min. Then my hair was blow dried by the time i have already liked the texture of my hair which was 100 times better then what i had. It was turned straight from wavy hair. But i wanted to experience my original hair after wash and without blow dry and imagine what i really do not have to use any blow dryer or iron to fix my hair every morning now.
I am very happy overall and will recommend this treatment to everyone who want beautiful hair everyday.

I hope this first review of mine will helps you guys.