Emjoi Prestige Epilator

No Image

4.5

on 10/9/2015 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product makes me feel like a grown up. Epilating is something that a grown up, European type, classy lady would do. I've graduated from razors, to waxing, to this. Welcome to being 40. Warning: this review is long, but it's a complicated product so bear with me.
I was looking for a way to cut down on shaving time. I need to shave 3x a week and frankly, it was a pain; I need my shower time to contemplate the universe, not shave. I had tried waxing and am too inept to do it at home, and too cheap and busy to do it at a salon. So after exhaustive internet research, most of it here on MUA, I ordered this, directly from the company. It was over $130 Cdn when I got all the shipping and duty in.
The actual product looks awesome. Mine is a little red shaver type looking thing. It comes in a white bag with a cleaning brush, a loofah and all the warranty/instructions paperwork. The tweezer head looks a little intimidating but it is small enough to travel with...but I won't have to, more on that later.
MUA walked me through the initial few uses. I shaved and then waited 2 days so the hair was long enough to grab but it was less painful. Think about pulling your head hair at the roots vs the long ends...see? For the first 2 weeks, I used this every 2 days for about 15 mins to gradually work through all the hair growth cycles.
Pain is about a 3 out of 10. I can handle that. But you know yourself; if tweezing your eyebrows is a big deal, maybe this isn't for you. If you are a member of Fight Club, you probably won't even notice this baby.
Standard cautions apply: smooth, dry skin with no lotion on it, and hold the skin taut. If you are nervous or have a low pain threshold, try it after a shower so your pores are more open, or pop an ibuprofen 20 mins prior to. Scotch works too but may impair your abilities to operate motor driven appliances.
After 6 months, I use this once a week, for about 10 mins. Now the travel tip: my hair is now so fine that I could skip a week. I am shortly travelling for 2 weeks and am not packing this, or any razors; awesome! More room for makeup in my bag!
Some details: in an ibuprofen fueled haze I tried this once on my bikini line. I've given birth twice, I thought I was tough. OMFG. So no. There is Nair in my cupboard for that and we aren't going there again. Having said that, I use this on my underarms with no excessive pain. I have not used this on my face.
Bottom line: this little gadget is awesome. It was worth every penny, it has made my life easier and makes me feel better about not buying and throwing out those expensive Intuition razor heads. In weird news, I saw it in the Hammacher Schlemmer catalogue recently. You know, that weird one with all the insanely expensive head massagers and 8 ft Darth Vader Christmas inflatables for your lawn. But don't believe the weirdness; it actually works.
If you want detailed step by steps, feel free to PM me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Wonderful epilator. I bought it years ago and barely used it, mostly because I got myself too worked up over the notion of multiple oscillating tweezers pulling out body hair. Although that may sound terrifying, when you actually get over the mental fear of it, it's not that bad. If you're short on cash to get your arms and legs waxed but still want the look of it, then give this a shot. I got it on sale for less than $30 from what I recall which wouldn't even cover half a waxing session. Plus it's in the convenience of my own home and on my schedule.

Some pointers:
Make sure your skin is clean and without lotion.
Hold the skin taut.
Lightly glide the epilator over your skin.

I've learned so much from makeupalley that I wanted to contribute too. I hope this helps.

Top Rated Tools