E.L.F. Studio Makeup Mist & Set Spray

3.7

Water (Aqua), AMP-Acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Juice, Green Tea (Camelia Sinensis) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vc), Tocophryl Acetate (Ve) Retinyl Acytate (Va), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben.

I have tried the UD All Nighter spray before and a few drugstore setting sprays (NYX, Essence..). I have never noticed a difference in longevity. Yes, they all made me look less powdery, but I think that's kind of...normal?
However, with the ELF setting spray I do notice that my make up holds up quite a bit longer and is almost glued to my face. I'm really impressed, especially since it's 3$ per bottle.
I always spray quite a bit on, but I do that with other setting sprays as well and never noticed a difference.
The packaging is kind of cheap, but it's also a cheap product, so you can't really complain. The mist is strong and not very diffused so I'd recommend to either spray it from faaaar or to just pour the product into another spray bottle you like better. :)
The smell is not amazing but personally, I don't think it's the worst ever. And it disappears pretty quickly.

I would definitely recommend this setting spray. By the way, I'm talking about the "standard" version - I know they have added a matte version recently. I'm gonna have to try that out, too :)

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

As another reviewer mentioned before- this actually does help with the longevity of your makeup BUT you do have to use quite a bit of product. I will spray a layer, let it dry, and then do it again 1-2 more times after that. And because it is only $3 I really don't mind using so much product, I just buy them in bulk! Plus the great thing about this spray is that it doesn't have alcohol or other skin irritating ingredients that other setting sprays feel inclined to include for some odd reason. For $3 I say give it a try, you don't have anything to lose!

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

This does basically nothing. I don't notice it making my makeup last longer. Personally, I don't even notice it making my makeup look much less powdery. It just ... does nothing. It's like water. I guess it does refresh my face a little bit? The spray bottle isn't very good though. I will not be repurchasing.

EDIT: After some more testing, I am changing my review from 2 to 4 stars. It turns out that this does help with making makeup stay on -- you just have to spray a LOT on. I basically sprayed my entire face with this until it was dripping wet, and then let it dry. When I did that, my makeup really did 'set' onto my face. Even my bullet lipstick became almost transfer proof. It uses up a lot of product, but this setting spray is pretty cheap, so I don't really mind. Overall, not a bad product, actually.

It has a very chemically stink to it and it sprays on terrible. It's like dumping straight up water on your face. My air fresher has a better mist than this. It's okay for the price. I feel bad wasting money, so I just spray my brushes with it before using eye shadow but that's about the only time I use it. It doesn't do any setting, but it does make your make-up look a little less powdery but even spraying water on your face would probably do the same thing.

Like most have said, the spray bottle is absolutely terrible, but the product is great. I find that I can just as easily spray this onto a tissue or cotton ball and dab it onto my face, and the setting power still works like magic! This really locks in my makeup-- good enough to even take a nap in makeup and still find my face intact afterwords! Really, really good price too.

Does its job good, very inexpensive and dries pretty quickly

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This setting spray is just collecting dust on my makeup desk. The nozzle is no bueno. Just shoots you in the face with ginormous droplets. It doesn't make my makeup last any longer. I have used it a couple of times as a "lock and seal". Then use another setting spray for the whole face. Can't really say it adds any benefits when using it like this but hey I'm willing to really work a product before it's gifted to someone. I don't really have anything positive to say about this. Save a few more bucks and go for the Milani make it last or make it dewy.
UPDATE: this works very well as a method to get your shadow brush damp for product pickup.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Overall product and setting spray is good however, the nozzle is more of a spray type than a mist therefore leaving some spots on the face more wet than others.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

For the price, this setting spray is pretty good, but I really do not like the sprayer. I usually decant this into a different bottle with a better sprayer and get much more pleasant results. I don't find this particular spray to be either dewy or mattifying, but instead it just sets the makeup and helps it to last. I prefer Makeup Revolution and NYX setting sprays from the drug store, but if I can't get those I do still repurchase ELF's version. There's no smell and it doesn't irritate my eyes, and those are also plusses.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Well, this basically gets your face wet after doing your makeup. It does help powders look less dusty, but I find my own facial oils do that pretty quickly if I wait 20 minutes. This doesn't extend foundation time at all for me.

So, what I use it for is foiling eyeshadows. I spray my hand, dip my brush in to get it wet, then go to town on the eyeshadow.

Sure it works for this. I might even rebuy in a 50% off order just for this purpose. It's basically water, though.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools