Zotos Age Beautiful Anti-Aging Permanent Hair Color

Me - Age Beautiful 4VZotos Age Beautiful Anti-Aging Permanent Hair Color

4.4

on 7/13/2018 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This stuff WRECKED MY HAIR. Ok, so I've dyed my hair for YEARS, every color under the rainbow, 40 bleach by myself, my hair could tAke it. Until recently, I dyed it BLUE BLACK with age beautiful. I was looking for something permanent, never used a dye meant to cover up gray hair before so maybe that was my mistake? I used the developer that it said to use from the brand too. My hair is short above my ears, it was relatively healthy before I died it with this colour. Immediately after I dyed it, 10 small pieces of hair came out after washing. I thought it just needed some conditioning and stuff, but EVERYTIME I ran my fingers through my hair especially when washing, hair kept coming out! Sometimes it would come out not even touching it! This has never happened to me in my life. I kind of panicked, so I got protein treatments, deep salon conditioners, even olaplex. NOTHING STOPPED THE HAIR COMING OUT. Granted it wasn't lots of hair coming out to notice, but it was still upsetting. I still to this day never understood what happened, because my hair wasn't dry or tangly, it was soft and smooth, and looked shiny and healthy. But it wasn't... so sadly I went to chop off most of my hair again. I learned my lesson, so now I'm just gonna stay far away from any sort of hair coloring for awhile, and when the time is ready I will just go back to what used to work for me. The one good thing about this dye is it was a deep intense blue black, and the dye is pretty permanent from anything else I've tried.

Finally found something that looks flattering! 1.5 ounces of 4NN + .5 ounces of 3NN + .5 ounces of 3V!!!! Yes! I'm telling you - it's the most natural look on me and it addresses my weird coloring (skin color) and the double NN's cover grey better than the N's. As the dye wears, it looks more and more natural with hints of faintly reddish hi-lights. My hair is shiny and looks great. Not noticeably 'V' in color (violet) - that's just added to address my weird skin tone(s).

Background. I have my hair dyed at a beauty school. Whatever they were using was poor quality so I asked, and they agreed, to let me bring my own hair dye and have students apply it.
My skin tone is strange and so I struggle with choosing a color. I used to use Zotos Age Beautiful by mixing 3N and 4N but when I tried to get my color dark enough - I looked dead (wrong tone). So I had to stay lighter than I wanted to just to avoid conflicting tones. I think my skin tone is pale cool olive with plum undertones. That's a guess - for example pure brown eye shadow looks "dead" and fake but brown with hidden plum tones in it look neutral on my eye. Same true for other eye shadows and blushes. I have too little yellow in my skin and what's there is too "cool" (lemon yellow) to look good using gold toned dye. True red dyes seem to emphasize broken caps in my face. Zotos neutral tones were hard for me to wear because I look bad in "pure" browns. Today, I love how it looks and I've gotten some (relieved) compliments (yeah, I was looking a little witchy before). With this mix, I may be able to drift a little darker because it no longer fights with my skin. But for now, I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Especially the shine - that's been missing from my life for a LONG time. :)

This is my go to hair dye at Sally's when I want to stay away from box dye. It's easy to use with its 1:1 ratio and the directions inside are easy to understand even if you are not a professional cosmetologist. Not to mention its affordable. My go to colors in this line have always been the plums. I have tried 1V which is a Plum Black, 3V which is a little lighter then 1V and 4V which is the lightest of the 3 with more red tones in it. All three colors are beautiful and especially so when the sunlight hits it. My hair never feels damaged after I use this dye which is another reason I think I like this line. The only downfall I see and mind you I am basing this strictly on the Plum shades is that you will see dye come out every time you wash your hair. Also Plum Black will leave your scalp purple so prepare for that. It washes away after a shampoo or 2. Well worth it to me as it shows just how much violet tones are actually in the dye.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Normally I only ever use Ion or Wella brand and for good reason, as I was reminded after purchasing Age Beautiful.
I had the color 7RC [Dark Strawberry Blonde]. I intended to only do a demi [10 volume developer, color deposit only, minimal lift] application because my ends were so trashed and probably couldn't handle anything above a 10V. keep in mind my hair was a level 8 yellow blonde ish mess.

NOW. i never EVER EVER EVER do a test strand EVER. I usually just wing it and 7/10, pretty good odds ay?, it comes out as I expect. BUT this time, I was just compelled to do one.
Thus I did, processed for 20 min, the strand test came up burgundy. No copper, not at all natural looking, fucking burgundy.

I tend to think the 'grey coverage' colors are far more pigmented thus I'd just avoid those altogether. Hence I only use Ion/Wella, not to say they're not good for grey coverage.

I don't know how a level 7 copper [the swatch being orangey] equates to a level 5 burgundy....Glad I didn't do my entire head though.

Moral of the story,
Always strand test. As for this product, I wouldn't use again because they run dark, not even slightly true to color, and the swatch that I did color, the hair looked dry and felt coarse, although the latter is probably just the over processing.

on 4/12/2014 5:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I've been buying L'Oreal color & developer from Sally's for years, but I tried this in hopes that it would be less damaging to my hair. I love this brand! As others have said, the shades don't exactly correspond to L'Oreal. My natural color is "dirty blond," and the first time I used this I bought "9G Light Golden Blonde" and 30 Volume developer (also Age Beautiful brand), which is what I did w/ L'Oreal. It darkened my hair back to my natural, but I loved how soft and shiny it was.

When it was time to color again, I bought "10G Very Light Golden Blonde" and used it with 30 Vol. developer and left it on for 45 minutes. I got exactly what I wanted -- a beautiful, shiny, golden blonde There is no dryness after coloring and it doesn't smell as bad as the other brands. It feels so much better for my hair. I'm definitely a convert.

on 1/21/2014 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I was skeptical to try this at first since I don't have any gray, but I'm glad I did. I bought 9V which covered the hideous orange that always comes when I lighten my hair. I will buy it again but I'll probably buy 10V or the HLA since this ran a little dark, my hair is a cross between a medium/dark blonde right now.

I use this hair color in 1N Jet Black. My natural hair color is a medium brown. This hair color is absolutely amazing. I mix it in a 1:1 ratio with their 10 vol developer. The thicker consistency of the dye makes application easy, and it doesn't drip everywhere once you apply it. It does have a chemically smell, but what permanent hair color doesn't? At least the smell wasn't overwhelming like some hair dyes.

This hair color does. not. fade. if taken care of well (basically using a sulfate free color care shampoo and avoiding hot oil treatments - easy stuff). It's truly permanent for me. I only need to do a root touch up every 6 weeks, and then comb the rest of the dye through my hair for 5 minutes to freshen it up.

This hair color doesn't dry out my hair (actually, it feels softer after I dye it) and elongates my curls, making them more into waves than curls and reducing frizz. Dyeing my hair makes my hair a lot easier to work with.

I will not dye my hair with anything else. This stuff is amazing.

on 10/2/2013 7:05:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

My natural hair color is white (non-pigmented) on the top and sides and gray in the back. The first time I colored my virgin hair I used Age Beautiful PERMANENT (from Sally's Beauty Supply) medium blonde 8N with 30 volume Age Beautiful developer (my pigmented hair pulls red) over all of my hair. This is to fill the hair with the color that is lacking. Neutral has all the colors needed to fill the non-pigmented hair. Also this color is double pigmented so it really covers. UPDATE: Before coloring you virgin hair look at the chart below for the percentage of gray that you have.

UPDATE: Ok, so this comes out too warm for me. I wanted to tone down the gold/yellow. I waited a month or so. So before I colored my hair again I used Neutral Protein Filler (from Sally's Beauty Supply) on the shaft and ends. Before when I put it on my roots (uncolored hair) the color did not seem to stay so just put it on the previously colored hair, NOT the roots. I followed the directions and I put it in a spray bottle to make application easier. I LET MY HAIR AIR DRY.

I then colored my hair with permanent Age Beautiful medium blonde 8N (neutral) mixed with 8V (violet). I used 25 grams of 8N and 3 grams of 8V. Ratio of color to developer is 1 part to 1 part. I mixed it well and put the color mixture in an applicator bottle with 30 volume developer and did my roots and let that process for 45 minutes.

Toward the end of the 45 minutes (about 20 minutes left) I mixed 25 grams of 8V with 3 grams of 8N and added 10 volume developer in a separate applicator bottle and put it on the shaft and ends and let that process about 15 minutes. I used violet over my existing color because I wanted to tone down or neutralize the gold/yellow (check out hair color wheels on the internet). Violet is the opposite of yellow on the color wheel. I washed my hair with hydrating shampoo and put a deep conditioner on for about 25 minutes. I rinsed and let my hair air dry a little bit, then dried it with a blow dryer and round brush.

The protein filler made my color come out even and my hair feels good and is very shiny. The gold has toned down a lot. Looks better. I will update after I wash my hair a few times. The color comes out a bit darker, but will lighten as I wash it, I chose a lighter color to compensate and I am very happy with the hue. Not too light and not too dark. It is a darker medium blonde.

I almost ran out of color during application so I will make a larger batch next time.

I found this on the internet for formulating color.:

If you only have 0 to 25% gray - Use 90% target color (25 grams) and 10% neutral (3 grams)

If you have 25% to 50% gray - Use 75% target color (21 grams) and 25% neutral (7 grams)

If you have 50% to 75% gray- Use 50% target color (14 grams) and 50% neutral (14 grams)

If you have 75% to 100% gray- Use 25% target color (3 grams) and 75% neutral (25 grams)

These are good basic formulas for using as is, for Increasing or decreasing the amount of color mixture needed depending on the thickness and length of hair, or for tweaking the actual color formula to your taste.

So, I used the 75% to 100% color formulation on my roots and the 0 to 25% color formulation on the shaft and ends. I have a digital kitchen scale that makes measuring easy. I hope this is helpful. My target color was 8V cool medium blonde. I have gotten several compliments on my current color. The best one is "it looks natural".

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is one of the few hair colors I've used that is actually very true to color. It is not drying unlike many other dyes.

While I do not have "aging" hair, I have put my hair through a lot of chemical and heat damage, and therefore have some/all of the 5 signs of hair aging listed on the packaging.

It's easy to mix up, 1:1 ratio color to developer, the full tube is 2 oz. Here is my only complaint - the metal tube is slightly difficult to dispense all the way through. I am very careful to start squeezing from the top all the way through the bottom, but I can't help but feeling that I never get it all out and that there is still quite a bit of product left!

I don't use the same brand of developer, but rather the standard Sally developer (color care I believe). Another minor issue would be at first, the formula is a bit too runny to work with if using a brush. If you have the option of selecting a brush or bottle for your hair color needs, I would recommend a bottle.

I have used various shades of this line, and the ones that have "V" in the color (for violet), like 5 RV do pull quite purple compared to other dyes, so I tend to avoid this.

In terms of lightening capability - I can't comment since I don't use this for lightening.

Also, this doesn't seem to fade as much as other dyes.

My current combo: 9RC + 8N and I'm very happy with the result. I felt 2 tubes of 9RC would pull tooo copper and I'm trying to minimize brassiness here!! After I let the color sit for about 20 mins I checked the mirror and was worried because my roots looked the color of a penny and I was terrified of having orange hair! However it turned out just the color I wanted, I could've (should've!!) left it on for longer, which I will do next time.The price is not bad either.

Happy with this product - will repurchase - highly recommended

on 10/14/2012 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I have no grays to cover, but this color was the closest to what I wanted out of everything at Sally's, so I took a gamble. I used it in the color 4R - dark red brown. First of all, I was really surprised by how good it smelled! It was lovely and floral, and didn't have that awful hair dye smell at all. It also made my hair very soft, even after using a color remover to lighten my dyed black hair, and with only using my SO's wimpy conditioner for "limp hair".
The color itself is beautiful and multi-dimensional. I wanted something that looked very Fall-ish, like an Autumn leaf, and this fits the bill. It looks different in different lighting, which is great since I get bored with hair color so easily! In some light it looks simply like a rich, warm, dark brown, in others it shines very red, and in some in looks almost burgundy, still in others it's got the dark brown with subtle red highlights.
I'm pleased, and will definitely consider purchasing this or another color from them the next time i dye my hair.

Popular Hair Color Products