Goody Modern Updo Maker

Goody Modern Updo Maker

3.5

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

The directions for this suck. Go to YT and watch some videos but i finally got the hang of it by inserting it into the side and flipping it. It will really keep your hair secure! I don't jump around much so I can't attest to vigorous activity but the tension can be adjusted depending on how close you insert it near into the scalp. This is a neat contraption! I got mine for $9.99 (including S&H) from Amazon dot com. 2 lippies off packaging for really obfuscating directions. I have shoulder length thin hair.

on 9/28/2015 2:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

works like magic for my very thick, wavy, and heavy bsl hair. comfy french twist or bun, stays all day, doesnt stress my scalp or hair.

on 1/15/2011 10:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Speaking from the girl who has worn her hair in a ponytail since elementary school, this device is life altering. I recently switched jobs to a more professional atmosphere and out of curiosity purchased the Goody modern updo maker to give me a more sophisticated way to pull my hair back. I generally avoid buying uni-taskers, but this works so well that I love it anyway.

This is how I use it:

It takes a little practice. I've figured out about three slight variations.

$6 seems like a lot to pay for a hair tie, but the shape really is unique. The teardrop shape with the 'hooks' at the end help it grasp the hair and stay in place, and the curved design and semi-rigid material makes it more comfortable. Every other chignon pin I've seen is a flat and rigid 'U' shape, which doesn't stay as tight and isn't as comfortable.

For reference, my hair is fine and thick, and down about three inches past the collarbone. This probably wouldn't work for thin or short hair.

This thing is awesome. For those of use who don't have the skill or patience to use bobby pins- $6 is a reasonable price to pay for effortless elegance. Warning: if you get one that matches your hair, people will wonder how you keep it up!

Note: The day after I condition (with my super amazing Kirkland Shampoo/Conditioner), my super shiny hair is too slippery for this to hold. It works best on hair a day or two after.

I've had no luck with this. I have the spin pin which I love but no matter how much I try this, it won't hold my hair (which happens to be a couple inches past my shoulder, one length fine blonde hair). I've giving up on using this and just use a clip instead.

on 12/1/2012 11:38:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

i cant help to believe that the people who don't like this just can't figure out how it works. it's not easy to figure out. the directions are garbage. but once you do figure it out, it's actually quite a miracle. i couldn't figure out how this makes your hair into a french twist, but it does! my hair is long-ish and on the thin side. doing it thru the bottom works awesome for me. it stays well and feels comfortable. i think everyone should give it a try. they have them at the dollar store now!

on 8/24/2012 1:16:00 PM

After I watched a video this turned into a good hair device for me. I had a hard time understanding the package instructions.

I have medium length fine hair, and getting it to stay in any kind of up do is hard. I haven't worn this out and about yet, but we'll see soon - it seems to stay up well around the house.

on 8/14/2010 10:05:00 PM

okay, after trying the package instructions this product was not working for me, I didn't understand from the instructions how this was going to turn my hair into a french twist. Then I looked on youtube for instructions and found that if you twist up your hair and tuck the ends under, and use the product from the side instead of the bottom, it works much better for thick hair. Once I tried it this way, it was so easy, I love it!

on 10/26/2010 5:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Unfortunately this didn't work any better than the Spin Pin. I have very long, straight thick hair and it holds only for a couple of minutes. A chopstick works a lot better. I guess I'm sticking to jaw clips.

For reference I have straight medium length layered thick hair. This is one hair product that really tried my patience and time as I just couldn't understand the instructions provided nor achieve any thing that resembled an updo. I did some searching on the internet, watched YouTube videos, and practiced a lot. I finally can achieve two updos using this item. The first is the french twist inserting it from the side and second is a messy updo bun thing by inserting it from the base of a bun. I have found that either damp hair or unwashed hair (ie. the day after you wash) works the best and to only barely insert it into the middle of the bun or twist. I was failing as I was trying to put it in too close to the scalp and at the base of my gathered hair. Definitely recommend that others who are feeling frustrated check out YouTube videos for some visual tips and tricks.

on 9/5/2010 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

First of all I have medium length hair past shoulders by about 2 inches.
I find this works easier with damp hair but it seems as if for every 20 tries only 1 time it works for me.... I'm going to keep this and hopeful when my hair is longer it will be easier to work with.
UPDATE 12/31/2010: my hair is pixie short so it may be a very very long time until i'll be able to try this again

Popular Hair Styling Tools