EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.7

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

This review is specifically about the tinted version of Elta MD, which I chose because I usually ware a tinted SPF (NeoStrata) without any foundation or other coverage during the week when I’m just running around and not too concerned with how I look! I find that NeoStrata actually gives me a bit of coverage, much like wearing a tinted moisturizer. I was hoping the tinted Elta MD would work much the same.

I was recommended this by a dermatologist in London who actually helped to create the Elta MD sunscreens. Naturally she raved about this, and recommended it specifically for the niacinamide content (I was using a prescription strength Retinol product at the time, and was told that niacinamide would help adherence with the Retinol). I couldn’t find this in London, so spent quite a bit (and waited a long time) to have it shipped over from the US.
I really, really wanted to love this product, with its promise of great skin loving ingredients, a lovely tint and a high SPF…

…However, I did not. At all. Even a little bit. I found two problems immediately: It was much, much too shiny (not ‘dewy’, not ‘glowy’, but outright greasy looking. Ugh.). Secondly the tint was an odd orangey color. Because I had paid so much, I persevered and tried to use it for a week – but gave up when everyone from colleagues to the boy commented on my new greasy/orange appearance. Not cool. So, I have now revered back to NeoStrata Sheer Physical Protection SPF 50 (also tinted), which does the job, and looks much better on my skin! I wish I had never strayed! I could have saved myself a lot of money!

Purchased this product through the Dr. office. Tried it twice and still the same results. My face total was covered in patches around my mouth, eyes, forehead and cheek area red and bumps. Started scratching and picking at my face which was a bad idea. Face was totally burning and itchy. Washing from face off with Cetaphil calming wash for the face. It felt a lot better and it actual calmed down my face. Will not purchase again. Returning back to Dr. office and returning product. I may be allergic to this product.

This is my HG sunscreen for under work makeup.

Price: Purchased a full-size bottle with a DermStore coupon code, so it wasn't too terrible. The price of this is more or less in line with other brands of similar status (I looked at Clinique, Dermalogix, Drunk Elephant, Neostrata)

Packaging: Right now I'm using up some sample packets, but the pump applicator was a consideration in my purchase.

Product: I use Retin-A at night, so daily sunscreen is a must, but I had a hard time finding a product that I would actually consider wearing every day. My requirements were: fluid texture, SPF of at least 30, physical (not chemical), minimal white cast, easy dispensing. I've tried (and reviewed) the following: DE Umbra, Clinique City Block, Shiseido Urban Environment and Skinceuticals Physical Fusion. EltaMD's clear met all of my requirements.

While this is called Clear, even the untinted version is not clear--it is whitish in appearance. I do notice a slight smell (which honestly was going to be a reason I passed on this, until it became obvious that the disadvantages of my other options were far worse). I was looking for a product that easily dispensed (the pump takes care of that) with a fluid texture that would smooth on easily.

I have not noticed a white cast on my face, but like other reviewers have mentioned, this will pill if you move too hastily through product application. I let my moisturizer dry completely, then add this, then go do other things for 10-15 minutes before putting on any makeup.

Love it! My dermatologist recommended me this sunscreen because it is formulated for acne prone skin. BEWARE: it pills BAD if you try to apply moisturizer over it. Best thing to do is mix one pump with the moisturizer and then apply over your entire face.

As you only need one pump (the whole 1 tsp thing about sunscreen is a load of bull imo) one bottle will last you ages - I've had mine for 4-5 months and it is still going strong.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Holy grail product for me. Not only does it prevent sun damage, but it also helped fade acne marks and uneven skin tone. This SPF has never made me break out.
It feels light, fresh, and moisturizing to wear. Versatile and easily worn under make up or bare faced. I'm very open to trying all different types of skincare, but I would honestly be content with using this product for life.

Price is average, a bottle last me maybe 5 months. So worth it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

Although I wish I could state that this is my HG sunscreen, this one has many components that make it close to HG status. It is a white, cosmetically elegant cream/emulsion that feels nice to apply and is good for the skin. It provides good sun protection. I don't notice any evidence of sun damage like redness or tanning during the time it's on.

For my oily, acne-prone skin, it is mattifying. It also has niacinamide which is beneficial towards acne and the scars that it creates. It heals, clears and smooths my skin over time with regular use. However, what keeps it from being the perfect sunscreen is the slightly white cast on my MAC NC45/Revlon Colorstay Caramel skin tone. If a small amount is applied to the face and neck, the white cast can be luminous giving a pretty glow to my bare face. For this reason, I like applying before going to the gym, or if I'm not planning to wear any makeup . The downside is that if more is applied, the whiter it gets. The good thing is that it can be disguised with makeup.

The other con is the pilling/flaking that happens if other skincare or makeup is applied too close to application. You definitely have to allow time to lapse before/after applying the sunscreen. It is rather expensive for the amount that you get, but discounts can be found when purchased online. So far, it's the best that I've encountered for my skin type. It will be a part of my routine until I find something better.

this is my favorite day moisturizer. in summer, I only use this in the morning. in cold weather, I would like to add some hydration serum. I will keep use it because I couldn't find anything working better. I have used Paula's choice spf and Murad spf for a long time, but this one works better. the price is 48cad but sometimes I can get 20%off. I will try the pm cream later after finishing my pm lotion.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

First impressions, I like this a lot. I know that my skin loves zinc, but having tried mineral sunscreens from Coppertone and Aveeno this is entirely different in texture - it's not thick or chalky white, and doesn't smell of SPF. It feels soothing and blends in well just like a normal moisturizer, with no white cast (and I am pale). The only gripe I have is that it feels matte to touch but when I look in the mirror I see a slight sheen. However, my skin has been a little dehydrated lately. I've been using it three weeks (everyday) so will carry on and update as it's still a little too early to tell. But.... No breakouts or congestion, so it's looking good so far.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This does a good job of protecting me from the sun. I've tested it in hot sunny weather on the beach. However, it's not my favorite sunscreen of all time.

PROS:

1) The formula is 9% zinc oxide and I always do well with this broad spectrum physical sunscreen ingredient.

2) It doesn't feel greasy, even after I've been wearing it for hours.

3) My personal experience has been mostly good. I have not had any breakouts from using this.

CONS:

1) This also contains octinoxate, which is a chemical sunscreen ingredient. I have very sensitive skin. This lotion can cause me to itch when I wear it on my face (and I bought Elta MD Clear 46 primarily for my face). It doesn't burn, or cause major issues for me, but it's not the most comfortable sunscreen I've ever tried for this reason. (Avene Mineral Ultra-Light SPF 50 does not contain this chemical and actually feels good on my skin.)

INGREDIENTS:

Active: Zinc Oxide 9.0%, Octinoxate 7.5%. Inactive: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

This breaks me out. It says it's for acneic skin on the packaging. That's Bologna. This has coconut eyher in it-- maybe that's the culprit? Who knows. Eltamd physical is still the only facial sunscreen that I can use, and I just repurchsed my third tube of it.

The Elta md clear works great on my toddler though. She doesn't like to stand still to get rubbed down so it's nice to use the clear on her in a pinch bc you can rub it in really quickly and it disappears. I don't use it on her often tho-- just when im pressed for time