EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.7

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

I have seen a lot of youtubers recommended this product, which is suitable for sensitive, acne-prone skin like mine, I used it and since the first use, I felt a stinging sensation on my face. Later, my face became red and itchy especially around my chin and my cheeks. I gave it a try for another three days as I want to make sure it is the product not the season change as it is entering autumn here. Sadly, it really is the product. After 3 consecutive days of using, I got red rashes, white heads on my chin all over and some on my cheeks and a bit of my forehead between my brows. Once I stopped using, it relieved the itchyness but the allergic aftermath still prolong for a week already. Friendly advice, do the patch test first before you apply this product all over your face. I am still on the search of a suitable sunscreen for my sensitive skin.

3.5/5

Really wish this didn't pill so much because otherwise it is very elegant in texture for a physical sunscreen. You can minimize the pilling if you don't wear anything under or over it but this isn't ideal for many people and even if you wear it alone if you don't blend it fast enough then it just pills and rubs off anyways.

Points for the pump dispenser though which I love and points for the lotion like texture which is not greasy or chalky like a lot of sunscreen. But the pilling is bad enough it can't be overlooked and I will not repurchase.

If you do decide to try it out I found when I'm very pale there is a very slight white cast. The finish feels a tad tacky and is not matte. Not greasy but a cross between shiny and dewy if that makes sense - to clarify its not necessarily bad imo.

I may be making this product sound worse than it actually is, so I will say that in comparison to a lot of other sunscreens it is actually quite good as its not greasy and has good ingredients for your skin. You can get better finish and feel by using less product but you will also lose protection.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Nice spf but it broke me out. Also more expensive then the mineral spf 41 which is nicer for me

I'm sooooo sad that I had to return this product! I loved the consistency and felt like it lasted for a long time on my skin. I normally hate applying sunscreen because it always leaves a white cast or pills off, but this didn't. Unfortunately I have to return it because it was causing red irritation bumps on the left side of my face. I'm trying the Supergoop sunscreen now instead and I'm pretty happy with the texture of that one too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love this sunscreen! It’s lightweight and doesn’t give a white cast. After a few applications, I instantly saw my acne scars fading away, and received compliments on how nice my skin was. I’ve been using this for over a year now and I don’t plan on stopping. The packaging is great too - I’m a sucker for air pumps, just because you’ll know when you’re out of product. The bottle lasts me about 2-3 months with everyday use. And for the price, it’s not bad at all.

I have rosacea, so I found the formula a tiny bit sensitizing because of the octinoxate sunscreen ingredient - but I am not basing this review on that formulation issue because chemical sunscreens are always going to be a potential issue for someone with sensitive skin, whether it's from rosacea or another condition.

My issue with this product is how it tends to pill when applied over a serum. In my case, the product pilled over both the SkinMedica HA5 and the Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. I haven't experienced pilling when using either of those serums with any other sunscreen.

If this product doesn't pill with the other products you use in your routine then I think it's got a lot of promise. It has an SPF of 46, does not impart a white cast onto the skin and feels very light and pleasant. My preference in the Elta MD line is the UV Daily SPF 40 which does not pill and feels more moisturizing.

I did a lot of research before buying this product - I was looking for the perfect sunscreen for oily/combination skin that wont break me out and there were great reviews on it. Dermatologists even recommend it!

At first it felt nice on the skin, a light formula. But it pills under makeup and bunches up in dry areas!! My skin broke out terribly after only two uses of this sunscreen. It also made my oily skin tight and dry! Im not sure what is in this product that triggers acne - it cant be the niacinamide as I use this as part of my regular skincare routine and never had issues.
I dont think ive ever been this disappointed with a product. I dont know how it gets all these good reviews, save your money and time! Now I have to wait for this breakout to clear *sigh*

I used this sunscreen for a long time in my twenties, and it is good/fine. However, I made an effort to move off chemical sunscreens onto physical (mineral) ones, so I have switched to EltaMD UV Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41 Tinted. I like this one better, especially the tint blends right in.

I have oily skin and this one looks great on me. It keeps my skin from looking greasy even when it's hot and humid. I can't believe how good my makeup looks with it. No breakouts or irritation so far, love it!

This sunscreen ruined my face! I have sensitive skin and this was recommended to me at my dermatologist office. I had a severe allergic reaction and my face was covered in a itchy red rash for a week. I talked to a doctor and started taking antihistamine to calm the reaction down. It completely messed up my skin barrier leading to different skin issues such as more acne...ugh very frustrating when all I wanted was to protect my skin and this product did the complete opposite. If you have reactive skin be warned!! I have been thinking about using the physical one instead but will start on a very small test patch first.