EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.7

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I want to love this product so badly but unfortunately it's just doesn't quite hit the mark for me. I have dry, acne-prone skin with mild rosacea and my dermatologist recommended this to me.

Pros:
+ Doesn't break me out or irritate my skin
+ Isn't drying, very slightly moisturizing - pretty rare for me as sunscreens go
+ Nice creamy texture with a dewy/radiant finish but isn't greasy - nice for my dry skin, but probably not for oily folks
+ Reasonable price, not cheap but not obscenely expensive either
+ Airless pump packaging

Cons:
- Dealbreaker: This does NOT play well with any other products I've tried (and I've tried a lot) or even honestly wearing it all on its own. It pills and balls up and crumbles into patches of little white bits all over my face every time no matter what. With acne and redness, this is no use to me if I can't wear it with foundation or even moisturizer because this is not nearly enough to quench my dry skin throughout the day by itself. This is sadly the main reason I won't be getting this again.
- Due to the opaque bottle and airless pump, it's pretty hard to tell when you're running out of this and need to restock before you're left in a lurch with no daily sunscreen

While this does feel nice on my skin I worry this has caused a large amount of acne bumps all over my skin. I swear I can't find one freakin sunscreen that doesn't break me out. I'm so frustrated!!

I love this! I have combo skin that is getting drier with age and breaks out to a lot of products. I generally use Asian sunscreens but wanted something I could get in North America if needed. FYI in Canada this is sold as EltaMd Clear with no mention of SPF by it is the same. This goes on well and wears well. I still put a thin layer of light moisturizer under it. Reddit tells me it has a PPD around 16. This sinks in well and wears well under makeup. I don't find it has a sunscreen smell (almost like faint Elmers Glue) and the scent fades quickly.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is the best sunscreen I've ever used. I have oily, acne-prone skin that hates practically everything I put on it. My skin loves this, though. It makes my makeup go on smoother, it doesn't smell *too* sunscreen-y, and I experience no white cast (although as a pale person I am not the best authority on that). I've been using this for at least a year now and I won't go back to anything else. HG status!

The price is somewhat high but after ruling out virtually every other sunscreen on the market below $20, I will gladly shell out 30 bucks every 3-4 months for this bad boy. Love love love.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

OK so I was really so excited about this sunscreen so much that I ordered it through a friend coming down from the US. I'm a regular sunscreen user and am still to find my HG.

The previous sunscreen I was using was the worst in terms of white cast. I guess the relief with this sunscreen was that there is barely any white cast and that disappears in seconds even on my dark skin. However, it makes my already oily skin so shiny. You'd think this is grease but no way. It pills under make-up like crazy and any make-up you apply over it comes out streaky. Otherwise it's wonderfully light and you feel like you have nothing on. But I would recommend using a blotting tissue and mixing any foundation with the sunscreen cause if you apply it later it WILL pill.

I am a longtime sufferer of sunscreen "issues," mostly because I have very oily, sensitive, breakout-prone skin and it is pretty much impossible to find sunscreen that doesn't break me out.

I had heard such good things about the EltaMD sunscreens but had hesitated buying because I thought the price was prohibitive. I did finally buy it recently.

When i tried it, I thought it was life-changing. It was lightweight, elegant and silky. It was not greasy and it didn't break me out...on the first day. After 3 days, I noticed I had red bumps all over my forehead, where I usually don't break out. I used it 2 more days and always had bumps on my forehead in the evening. Then I switched to all mineral sunscreen for the next several days and the bumps disappeared, but when I tried the EltaMD again, the bumps appeared again and more immediately. Sadly, I don't think my skin likes the chemical part of the sunscreen or the actives.

I think I would like EltaMD's all-mineral version (UV Elements), but I haven't tried it yet. I am currently using MD SolarSciences Mineral Creme spf30 and like it a lot. By the way, this product is called UV Clear because it is supposed to help acne-prone skin, not because of the color of the product. I used the non-tinted version.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Unfortunately this made me break out. It's always been very difficult for me to find facial sunscreens that don't result in zits. I usually just rely on foundation and hats. On the plus side, I didn't pay much because I only bought a few samples on ebay.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this sunscreen. The consistency is very thin and absorbs well into my skin. No white cast. I apply this after my serum and moisturizer and allow ample time to dry. I never had an issue with pilling. This wears awesome under my foundation. I have acne scars, hyperpigmentation and use Retin-A at night.

This review is for the tinted version.

I recently purchased this at the recommendation of my dermatologist. I have combo, acne-prone skin and almost all facial sunscreens tend to turn my face into an oil slick or cause a severe white cast. To note for folks who seem to be confused about the product name..."Clear" is not referencing the color of the product pre- or post-application. It's for acne-prone skin. That's where the "clear" comes in. I've been using it for nearly a month now and did not notice an increase in acne whatsoever. It also does the opposite of most facial sunscreens...it makes my face somewhat drier than usual. I apply a light moisturizer before applying this sunscreen which seems to act a bit like a primer, which is nice. (I just moved to California from Chicago, though, and if my skin remains as dry as it is right now, I might have to re-evaluate what type/how much moisturizer I'm using beforehand.) It's got 9% zinc oxide (my derm says you need to use a product with AT LEAST 5% zince oxide) and contains some niacinamide as well, both of which are good for acne-prone skin. And even with 9% zinc, it leaves no white cast (can't speak to the untinted).

As for the tint, it is BARELY there, as in I can barely tell I'm wearing anything with a tint at all, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It blends right into my fair/medium skin. If you're looking for a tinted moisturizer/sunscreen with any amount of coverage, this is not it. But it serves as a good base with superior sun protection than most BB/CC creams or tinted moisturizers.

The price seems to vary depending on where you buy it. My dermatologist's office was selling it for $38. The eltaMD website directs you to doctor's offices/spas to purchase but you can get it on Dermstore and LovelySkin. I also found it on Amazon for less than $30, FYI.

I will definitely be repurchasing once I run out and will probably check out eltaMD's 30 spf daily body lotion as well.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a lovely part-mineral sunscreen with an unusually light texture and 5% niacinamide. There is a tinted version (a tad dark for my fair skin) and an untinted, containing transparent zinc oxide. It sets on the skin so that it feels dry, but it does have a slightly shiny finish to it. My issue with it is that it balls up like an absolute b*****, even used alone, and under makeup--forget it. I gather I'm in the minority but it's crazy-making. It's a no from me, sadly.