EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.7

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

I love this! I have combo skin that is getting drier with age and breaks out to a lot of products. I generally use Asian sunscreens but wanted something I could get in North America if needed. FYI in Canada this is sold as EltaMd Clear with no mention of SPF by it is the same. This goes on well and wears well. I still put a thin layer of light moisturizer under it. Reddit tells me it has a PPD around 16. This sinks in well and wears well under makeup. I don't find it has a sunscreen smell (almost like faint Elmers Glue) and the scent fades quickly.

I am a longtime sufferer of sunscreen "issues," mostly because I have very oily, sensitive, breakout-prone skin and it is pretty much impossible to find sunscreen that doesn't break me out.

I had heard such good things about the EltaMD sunscreens but had hesitated buying because I thought the price was prohibitive. I did finally buy it recently.

When i tried it, I thought it was life-changing. It was lightweight, elegant and silky. It was not greasy and it didn't break me out...on the first day. After 3 days, I noticed I had red bumps all over my forehead, where I usually don't break out. I used it 2 more days and always had bumps on my forehead in the evening. Then I switched to all mineral sunscreen for the next several days and the bumps disappeared, but when I tried the EltaMD again, the bumps appeared again and more immediately. Sadly, I don't think my skin likes the chemical part of the sunscreen or the actives.

I think I would like EltaMD's all-mineral version (UV Elements), but I haven't tried it yet. I am currently using MD SolarSciences Mineral Creme spf30 and like it a lot. By the way, this product is called UV Clear because it is supposed to help acne-prone skin, not because of the color of the product. I used the non-tinted version.

This review is for the tinted version.

I recently purchased this at the recommendation of my dermatologist. I have combo, acne-prone skin and almost all facial sunscreens tend to turn my face into an oil slick or cause a severe white cast. To note for folks who seem to be confused about the product name..."Clear" is not referencing the color of the product pre- or post-application. It's for acne-prone skin. That's where the "clear" comes in. I've been using it for nearly a month now and did not notice an increase in acne whatsoever. It also does the opposite of most facial sunscreens...it makes my face somewhat drier than usual. I apply a light moisturizer before applying this sunscreen which seems to act a bit like a primer, which is nice. (I just moved to California from Chicago, though, and if my skin remains as dry as it is right now, I might have to re-evaluate what type/how much moisturizer I'm using beforehand.) It's got 9% zinc oxide (my derm says you need to use a product with AT LEAST 5% zince oxide) and contains some niacinamide as well, both of which are good for acne-prone skin. And even with 9% zinc, it leaves no white cast (can't speak to the untinted).

As for the tint, it is BARELY there, as in I can barely tell I'm wearing anything with a tint at all, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It blends right into my fair/medium skin. If you're looking for a tinted moisturizer/sunscreen with any amount of coverage, this is not it. But it serves as a good base with superior sun protection than most BB/CC creams or tinted moisturizers.

The price seems to vary depending on where you buy it. My dermatologist's office was selling it for $38. The eltaMD website directs you to doctor's offices/spas to purchase but you can get it on Dermstore and LovelySkin. I also found it on Amazon for less than $30, FYI.

I will definitely be repurchasing once I run out and will probably check out eltaMD's 30 spf daily body lotion as well.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Unfortunately this made me break out. It's always been very difficult for me to find facial sunscreens that don't result in zits. I usually just rely on foundation and hats. On the plus side, I didn't pay much because I only bought a few samples on ebay.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this sunscreen. The consistency is very thin and absorbs well into my skin. No white cast. I apply this after my serum and moisturizer and allow ample time to dry. I never had an issue with pilling. This wears awesome under my foundation. I have acne scars, hyperpigmentation and use Retin-A at night.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a lovely part-mineral sunscreen with an unusually light texture and 5% niacinamide. There is a tinted version (a tad dark for my fair skin) and an untinted, containing transparent zinc oxide. It sets on the skin so that it feels dry, but it does have a slightly shiny finish to it. My issue with it is that it balls up like an absolute b*****, even used alone, and under makeup--forget it. I gather I'm in the minority but it's crazy-making. It's a no from me, sadly.

I love this sunscreen. I use the tinted one and the bad thing is they only have one shade, but the good thing is the color is very subtle so it fits many skin colors. I have acne prone skin so I bought it because it contains niacinamide and it works awesome, it does help keep breakouts under control. Here in Mexico it´s a little bit expensive compared to other similar products but it´s totally worth it. I hope they never stop selling it here.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Background:
I have oily, acne prone skin (prone to cystic acne, and clogged pores), prone to hyper-pigmentation. I heard so many good things about this sunscreen, and was excited to try it out. My old sunscreen (Kiss My Face Factor SPF 30), though was moisturizing, was clogging my pores (I assume it was the coconut oil & olive oil).

I wanted to love this product so bad. I tried this product out for 6 days, and it immediately caused my skin to feel dry and rough. It caused breakouts of tiny (un-inflamed) pimples. I thought it might be a "purge" type thing, where it gets worse before it gets better, but i couldn't stand the rough, un-smooth texture it gave my skin. Immediately after I discontinued use my skin texture went back to being smooth. It's weird because it DID help with redness and hyperpigmentation/fading scars, but it just left my skin so un moisturized and rough. Also, when worn under a moisturizer it PILLS so much. But worn without one it's even more drying.

PROS:
- Helped with redness, fading & discoloration
- Sanitary and convient pump packaging
- Didn't cause cystic acne
- Non-fragrant

CONS:
- Irritated my skin, made it feel dry, rough and broke me out in tiny pimples
- Not moisturizing, even for my oily, oily skin
- Price is high
- Can only get at Derm's office, etc.
- Pills, can't wear with moisturizer

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

One of the best sunscreens I've tried! (This review is for the tinted version.)

I've been using tretinoin in my skincare at a low percentage of .018% but regardless I knew it was necessary to wear sunscreen everyday. Quite a lot of dermatologists recommended the Elta MD Line so I snagged a bottle at a spa inside the high-end mall. I love the packaging - the pump makes it so easy to dispense 1/4 a teaspoon at a time.

It's quite expensive at $35 a bottle, but I really think it's worth it. Something about this sunscreen is a lot more moisturizing, cushiony, and forgiving on my skin versus the alcohol-heavy, drying Japanese chemical sunscreens. I've used Biore's Aqua Rich Watery Essence for a while - which is also a wonderful makeup primer by the way - but I think the sun protection for the Elta MD is a bit better. Once I clean this off with an oil cleanser (or with my Clarisonic Mia Fit) I usually can see my pigmentation spots fade away with greater success than a chemical sunscreen.

It's never clogged any of my pores with proper cleansing (to the best of my knowledge) and I like that there's a slight tint even though it has minimal coverage at best. It's a bit shiny but I don't mind at all, I think it gives me a little glow. Bonus points for the inclusion of niacinamide which is a great ingredient to brighten the skin.

Full disclosure: I take my skincare very seriously and won't hesitate to shell out good money for good results. Therefore, I would re-purchase this most definitely again.

This review is specifically about the tinted version of Elta MD, which I chose because I usually ware a tinted SPF (NeoStrata) without any foundation or other coverage during the week when I’m just running around and not too concerned with how I look! I find that NeoStrata actually gives me a bit of coverage, much like wearing a tinted moisturizer. I was hoping the tinted Elta MD would work much the same.

I was recommended this by a dermatologist in London who actually helped to create the Elta MD sunscreens. Naturally she raved about this, and recommended it specifically for the niacinamide content (I was using a prescription strength Retinol product at the time, and was told that niacinamide would help adherence with the Retinol). I couldn’t find this in London, so spent quite a bit (and waited a long time) to have it shipped over from the US.
I really, really wanted to love this product, with its promise of great skin loving ingredients, a lovely tint and a high SPF…

…However, I did not. At all. Even a little bit. I found two problems immediately: It was much, much too shiny (not ‘dewy’, not ‘glowy’, but outright greasy looking. Ugh.). Secondly the tint was an odd orangey color. Because I had paid so much, I persevered and tried to use it for a week – but gave up when everyone from colleagues to the boy commented on my new greasy/orange appearance. Not cool. So, I have now revered back to NeoStrata Sheer Physical Protection SPF 50 (also tinted), which does the job, and looks much better on my skin! I wish I had never strayed! I could have saved myself a lot of money!