EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.7

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Unfortunately this made me break out. It's always been very difficult for me to find facial sunscreens that don't result in zits. I usually just rely on foundation and hats. On the plus side, I didn't pay much because I only bought a few samples on ebay.

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I really love this sunscreen. The consistency is very thin and absorbs well into my skin. No white cast. I apply this after my serum and moisturizer and allow ample time to dry. I never had an issue with pilling. This wears awesome under my foundation. I have acne scars, hyperpigmentation and use Retin-A at night.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a lovely part-mineral sunscreen with an unusually light texture and 5% niacinamide. There is a tinted version (a tad dark for my fair skin) and an untinted, containing transparent zinc oxide. It sets on the skin so that it feels dry, but it does have a slightly shiny finish to it. My issue with it is that it balls up like an absolute b*****, even used alone, and under makeup--forget it. I gather I'm in the minority but it's crazy-making. It's a no from me, sadly.

I love this sunscreen. I use the tinted one and the bad thing is they only have one shade, but the good thing is the color is very subtle so it fits many skin colors. I have acne prone skin so I bought it because it contains niacinamide and it works awesome, it does help keep breakouts under control. Here in Mexico it´s a little bit expensive compared to other similar products but it´s totally worth it. I hope they never stop selling it here.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Background:
I have oily, acne prone skin (prone to cystic acne, and clogged pores), prone to hyper-pigmentation. I heard so many good things about this sunscreen, and was excited to try it out. My old sunscreen (Kiss My Face Factor SPF 30), though was moisturizing, was clogging my pores (I assume it was the coconut oil & olive oil).

I wanted to love this product so bad. I tried this product out for 6 days, and it immediately caused my skin to feel dry and rough. It caused breakouts of tiny (un-inflamed) pimples. I thought it might be a "purge" type thing, where it gets worse before it gets better, but i couldn't stand the rough, un-smooth texture it gave my skin. Immediately after I discontinued use my skin texture went back to being smooth. It's weird because it DID help with redness and hyperpigmentation/fading scars, but it just left my skin so un moisturized and rough. Also, when worn under a moisturizer it PILLS so much. But worn without one it's even more drying.

PROS:
- Helped with redness, fading & discoloration
- Sanitary and convient pump packaging
- Didn't cause cystic acne
- Non-fragrant

CONS:
- Irritated my skin, made it feel dry, rough and broke me out in tiny pimples
- Not moisturizing, even for my oily, oily skin
- Price is high
- Can only get at Derm's office, etc.
- Pills, can't wear with moisturizer

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

One of the best sunscreens I've tried! (This review is for the tinted version.)

I've been using tretinoin in my skincare at a low percentage of .018% but regardless I knew it was necessary to wear sunscreen everyday. Quite a lot of dermatologists recommended the Elta MD Line so I snagged a bottle at a spa inside the high-end mall. I love the packaging - the pump makes it so easy to dispense 1/4 a teaspoon at a time.

It's quite expensive at $35 a bottle, but I really think it's worth it. Something about this sunscreen is a lot more moisturizing, cushiony, and forgiving on my skin versus the alcohol-heavy, drying Japanese chemical sunscreens. I've used Biore's Aqua Rich Watery Essence for a while - which is also a wonderful makeup primer by the way - but I think the sun protection for the Elta MD is a bit better. Once I clean this off with an oil cleanser (or with my Clarisonic Mia Fit) I usually can see my pigmentation spots fade away with greater success than a chemical sunscreen.

It's never clogged any of my pores with proper cleansing (to the best of my knowledge) and I like that there's a slight tint even though it has minimal coverage at best. It's a bit shiny but I don't mind at all, I think it gives me a little glow. Bonus points for the inclusion of niacinamide which is a great ingredient to brighten the skin.

Full disclosure: I take my skincare very seriously and won't hesitate to shell out good money for good results. Therefore, I would re-purchase this most definitely again.

This review is specifically about the tinted version of Elta MD, which I chose because I usually ware a tinted SPF (NeoStrata) without any foundation or other coverage during the week when I’m just running around and not too concerned with how I look! I find that NeoStrata actually gives me a bit of coverage, much like wearing a tinted moisturizer. I was hoping the tinted Elta MD would work much the same.

I was recommended this by a dermatologist in London who actually helped to create the Elta MD sunscreens. Naturally she raved about this, and recommended it specifically for the niacinamide content (I was using a prescription strength Retinol product at the time, and was told that niacinamide would help adherence with the Retinol). I couldn’t find this in London, so spent quite a bit (and waited a long time) to have it shipped over from the US.
I really, really wanted to love this product, with its promise of great skin loving ingredients, a lovely tint and a high SPF…

…However, I did not. At all. Even a little bit. I found two problems immediately: It was much, much too shiny (not ‘dewy’, not ‘glowy’, but outright greasy looking. Ugh.). Secondly the tint was an odd orangey color. Because I had paid so much, I persevered and tried to use it for a week – but gave up when everyone from colleagues to the boy commented on my new greasy/orange appearance. Not cool. So, I have now revered back to NeoStrata Sheer Physical Protection SPF 50 (also tinted), which does the job, and looks much better on my skin! I wish I had never strayed! I could have saved myself a lot of money!

Purchased this product through the Dr. office. Tried it twice and still the same results. My face total was covered in patches around my mouth, eyes, forehead and cheek area red and bumps. Started scratching and picking at my face which was a bad idea. Face was totally burning and itchy. Washing from face off with Cetaphil calming wash for the face. It felt a lot better and it actual calmed down my face. Will not purchase again. Returning back to Dr. office and returning product. I may be allergic to this product.

This is my HG sunscreen for under work makeup.

Price: Purchased a full-size bottle with a DermStore coupon code, so it wasn't too terrible. The price of this is more or less in line with other brands of similar status (I looked at Clinique, Dermalogix, Drunk Elephant, Neostrata)

Packaging: Right now I'm using up some sample packets, but the pump applicator was a consideration in my purchase.

Product: I use Retin-A at night, so daily sunscreen is a must, but I had a hard time finding a product that I would actually consider wearing every day. My requirements were: fluid texture, SPF of at least 30, physical (not chemical), minimal white cast, easy dispensing. I've tried (and reviewed) the following: DE Umbra, Clinique City Block, Shiseido Urban Environment and Skinceuticals Physical Fusion. EltaMD's clear met all of my requirements.

While this is called Clear, even the untinted version is not clear--it is whitish in appearance. I do notice a slight smell (which honestly was going to be a reason I passed on this, until it became obvious that the disadvantages of my other options were far worse). I was looking for a product that easily dispensed (the pump takes care of that) with a fluid texture that would smooth on easily.

I have not noticed a white cast on my face, but like other reviewers have mentioned, this will pill if you move too hastily through product application. I let my moisturizer dry completely, then add this, then go do other things for 10-15 minutes before putting on any makeup.

Love it! My dermatologist recommended me this sunscreen because it is formulated for acne prone skin. BEWARE: it pills BAD if you try to apply moisturizer over it. Best thing to do is mix one pump with the moisturizer and then apply over your entire face.

As you only need one pump (the whole 1 tsp thing about sunscreen is a load of bull imo) one bottle will last you ages - I've had mine for 4-5 months and it is still going strong.