EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46

3.7

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 9%, Octinoxate 7.5% Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, Cyclomethicone, Niacinamide, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Polyisobutene, PEG-7 Trimethylolpropane Coconut Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lactic Acid, Pleth-3 Phosphate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane

I have rosacea, so I found the formula a tiny bit sensitizing because of the octinoxate sunscreen ingredient - but I am not basing this review on that formulation issue because chemical sunscreens are always going to be a potential issue for someone with sensitive skin, whether it's from rosacea or another condition.

My issue with this product is how it tends to pill when applied over a serum. In my case, the product pilled over both the SkinMedica HA5 and the Skinceuticals CE Ferulic. I haven't experienced pilling when using either of those serums with any other sunscreen.

If this product doesn't pill with the other products you use in your routine then I think it's got a lot of promise. It has an SPF of 46, does not impart a white cast onto the skin and feels very light and pleasant. My preference in the Elta MD line is the UV Daily SPF 40 which does not pill and feels more moisturizing.

I did a lot of research before buying this product - I was looking for the perfect sunscreen for oily/combination skin that wont break me out and there were great reviews on it. Dermatologists even recommend it!

At first it felt nice on the skin, a light formula. But it pills under makeup and bunches up in dry areas!! My skin broke out terribly after only two uses of this sunscreen. It also made my oily skin tight and dry! Im not sure what is in this product that triggers acne - it cant be the niacinamide as I use this as part of my regular skincare routine and never had issues.
I dont think ive ever been this disappointed with a product. I dont know how it gets all these good reviews, save your money and time! Now I have to wait for this breakout to clear *sigh*

I used this sunscreen for a long time in my twenties, and it is good/fine. However, I made an effort to move off chemical sunscreens onto physical (mineral) ones, so I have switched to EltaMD UV Physical Broad-Spectrum SPF 41 Tinted. I like this one better, especially the tint blends right in.

I have oily skin and this one looks great on me. It keeps my skin from looking greasy even when it's hot and humid. I can't believe how good my makeup looks with it. No breakouts or irritation so far, love it!

This sunscreen ruined my face! I have sensitive skin and this was recommended to me at my dermatologist office. I had a severe allergic reaction and my face was covered in a itchy red rash for a week. I talked to a doctor and started taking antihistamine to calm the reaction down. It completely messed up my skin barrier leading to different skin issues such as more acne...ugh very frustrating when all I wanted was to protect my skin and this product did the complete opposite. If you have reactive skin be warned!! I have been thinking about using the physical one instead but will start on a very small test patch first.

This was recommended by my dermatologist who should be fired! I echo other reviewers that this caused severe breakouts. I tried it on three various occasions during which my skin was absolutely clear. And consistently got cysts from it. After much research my skin seems to hate everything with oleth 3 phosphate which is comedogenic. Too bad because i like how it felt. Out if 15+ sunscreen i tried, jack black is my HG.

I am super acne prone with combo skin. Very dry chin and oily forehead and nose. initial application it feels smooth and blends easily. as you rub this in it can feel thick but not for long. i enjoy putting this on in the morning after cleanser, its very comfortable and does not sit on top of my skin, it does sink in about 45 seconds. it dries to a normal finish, not dewy or matte but comfortable. Half a pump is good for the whole face. This is not an offensive smell also it calms my acne scars and redness down. it does well under my nars sheer glow foundation also. I dont do well with spf but this for now is actually great. I wish this was more moisturizing(i was suffering from dry flaking from benzoyl peroxide but i stopped using this so this moisturizer is actually a perfect amount of hydration now).. It also can pill a bit if you do have drier skin but nothing crazy. only downside is that this can get greasy looking after a couple of hours. i dont mind it too much because its becomes a bit dewy which makes my foundation melt into the skin, its a weird concept but i dont hate it. for now this is very promising.

(I am trying this out and also the pm moisturizer.
Eltamd products has lots of great ingredients.
I will update as i continue to use this..
**was recommended by curology to use this)

edit- still really like using this. only downside is that i do get really greasy after 3 to 4 hours

Edit - i switched to a matte spf that had alcohol in it and broke out soooo bad from it. I came back to this.

I love how the pump gives you the right amount of SPF for your face, but I hate how it applies. It peels when you rub it, which worries me because I feel like that means there isn't any SPF protection where it peels anymore. You have to be careful when applying make up, so bouncing with a damp sponge is best for this sunscreen. Who would want a fussy sunscreen that makes you change up your make up routine though? You also have to make sure you've blended in the sunscreen correctly, otherwise it would look white and streaky on your face. You can't fix it, unless you want the whole peeling thing to happen again. I would not buy this again for the fact that it peels. I don't know why this is the #1 sunscreen.

Use it every day. I used to break out with any sunscreen, and this is the first one I can use daily, with no problems. All the best docs recommend it, so I have to assume that science backs up its efficacy. Teensy bit tacky, at first, but quickly dries to a lovely finish. Never pills. I have it on auto re-order. Great stuff.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

I absolutely love this product! I have very oily, southeast Indian tan skin and this is the best thing I have ever come across. Melts in with no sticky feel and I have the tinted version which is great for my skin tone. I have used other tinted sunscreens and they still left a slightly grey cast on me but not this one. Wonderful for oily skin! Perfect find and I highly recommend it!