Chanel Chance

Chanel Chance
Chance

3.8

on 8/8/2002 1:07:00 AM

I am glad I got the chance to sample this courtesy of Gloss. com. This a a great scent to me. At first I thought it was very offensive, but when I sprayed it on my neck, it turned out to be very light and sorta sexy smelling. I went out with two guys that week and I wore that perfume. They both said that I smelled amazing. :) So, this one is a keeper in my book. It's hard to actually describe the fragrance though. I can't even tell what the notes are. It just smells yummy.

on 8/8/2002 1:26:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

First off, my thanks to Gloss.com for allowing me to participate in their "Chance" promotion. It was an honor to have the opportunity to try out a fragrance before it hits the mass market.

With that said, onto my short review....

I am not all that great with describing scents... a fragrance either smells good to me, or it doesn't. I have never really been interested in "which" notes a fragrance contains, so I won't be much help in that department.

What I can say about "Chance" is that whatever the top note is, it is very nice. Kinda reminded me of "Passion Flower" by Crabtree and Evelyn or Px's "Calyx". However, the dry down was definitely more "spicy/fruity" than outright "fruity". Actually, I didn't really care for the final scent of "Chance" and it somehow reminded me of something that my grandmother would wear. In addition, this fragrance gave me an instant headache!

On the flip side, my husband loved it on me! He said, "you smell so good"... and he never says that when I wear my beloved Lolita Lempicka.

So, I am giving this fragrance 2 stars b/c my husband adored it... with just a small deduction for the headache that I received from it.

on 8/8/2002 6:16:00 PM

I, too, received this fragrance from Gloss. When I saw that it was by Chanel, I was a little bit worried, because I haven't liked any of Chanel's other fragrances-- they all smell too superfemme and old ladyish to me. I am more of a vintage/preppy kind of girl. However, I was encouraged by the ad copy that described it as young and adventurous. I sprayed it on and was pleasantly surprised-- zero powderiness, no headache. It did smell a bit too sweet at first, kind of like watermelon starburst candy. The dry down was nicer-- spicier, more subtle. After reading another reviewer's comment that it may have sandalwood in it, I understand why I sort of like Chance. My two favorite perfumes are TM Cologne (very clean) and Aveda Hana (very spicy with heavy sandalwood). Chance is clean-ish, with a nice spicy undertone. It is sweeter than I'd like, but I will probably wear it anyway on the days when I feel like throwing people for a loop. Nice bottle, too. Looks cool on the dressing table.

on 8/9/2002 6:57:00 PM

I like it. I am into sweet scents like Gucci Rush and Lempika, and this one, while it is sweet, isn't overly so, and not powderey either. Reminds me a lot of Mlle, which i don't like, but i like this one better.

on 8/9/2002 10:35:00 PM

This fragrance is very strong, like all Chanel fragrances. I would describe this as a heady fruity floral with vague elements of oriental if that makes any sense. The inital spray is overwhelming to say the least. I thought I was going to gag. It is super strong. Those prone to headaches keep on walking. I detect musk and sandelwood, but overall, I do not think they are well balanced with the fruity floral notes. The resulting dry down was not great, I didn't like it much at all. It became more floral some how. I love interesting, sexy scents that envelop you, not shout at you, which is what I believe Chance does. Mayra called it when she said this is 'Diet Coco Mlle '

on 8/10/2002 12:30:00 AM

Smells really nice. Like a light floral with a sweet touch. My only complaint is that it fades too quickly. I guess getting the lotion will help solve that problem though! :O) My mom said she liked it as well. I might have to keep this one around!

on 8/11/2002 5:53:00 PM

I had the pleasure of sampling this fragrance courtesy of Gloss.com's recent promotion. I am a migraine sufferer, so when I initially saw the Chanel fragrance box, I was very hesitant .. but I decided to go ahead and give it a light sampling.

It smells exquisite. Not at all heavy like the Chanel No 5 that's on my dresser .. but much more younger, modern, and softer. One spritz is enough to last the day, and I received a couple of compliments on the first day that I wore it. I love the sandalwood note in this fragrance.

I highly recommend Chance.

on 8/12/2002 8:15:00 PM

This is a beautiful fresh, fruity/floral fragrance that smells young and hip!! I love this and so does my boyfriend! Definately one fragrance I will reach for more than any other. Love it!

on 8/14/2002 3:08:00 AM

Well, I'm a confirmed Chanelaholic, but I'm not digging this too much. It's a little too spicy for me-maybe I didn't give it enough time. It reminds me of my beloved Coco Mademoiselle MIXED with original Coco! And the SA agreed! OY! I'll give it another try-maybe!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Received this in a swap- I agree, this is like a "diet" Coco Mademoiselle. Right now I have Coco M. spritzed on the back of one hand, Chance on the back of the other, and a can of ground coffee in front of me (I'm killing time until I pull an all-nighter at the campus photo lab. What can I say?)
The initial scent is different than Coco M., though. At first, it smelled just like Demeter Earl Grey Tea with a slight citrussy twist.
However, on dry-down, it matched Coco M. to a t- only Chance is Coco M. taken down several notches in terms of intensity.
However, I still really like this. I loved Coco M., but it was just *way* too strong.
Chance is the same fabulous scent without announcing your fragrance of choice to the rest of the elevator passengers :)

Popular Fragrances