E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 10/17/2017 6:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Do not bother. I decided to try it because I was using NYX but am always looking for something a little softer + more blotting because I'm oily + wear my makeup for stage which is sweaty. This was basically like putting gritty chalk on my face. It stuck to certain areas, left me white + patchy + didn't do its job. I had no idea powder could be this bad.

on 10/13/2017 5:24:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium

Very mattifying and does help makeup last longer, but very drying, cakey looking and messy to use. Highlights dry patches. Didn't work for me at all! Not one for dry skin. Maybe better for oily skin

on 8/10/2017 6:06:00 AM

I have already repurchased this powder.

Cheap, blurs pores, smoothes texture (great for undereyes) and controls oil on my face. I use very little, so haven't experienced any powderiness or flashback issues. Like it a lot, and for the price I'm sticking to this product

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I never write reviews, I like to read them, but I can't help writing this one to point out that the newly packaged powder is also a new formula. The old formula is gone, this new one has now talc as well as several other ingredients, it is an entirely new kind of powder and performs NOTHING like the former one. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this incredibly important difference.

Ok so the packaging is now different and better etc, but what about the actual product? It's not the same anymore!!! I'm so disappointed, because this powder used to be my HG powder. it was just perfect for my skin in every way. It had just 3 non-irritating, non-drying ingredients (perfect for my sensitive skin), it was a great price and I didn't mind the old packaging at all. The 1 star is for the new powder, but the old version was a 5 star for me.

What pisses me off is everywhere online, including the elf website they still use the photo of the old product. I bought my last 5 pots of this powder from the elf website last november 2016 and to my surprise and great disappointment I received the new product, which I didn't like at all. I emailed them asking why had they not bothered to let people know this was a new version, why had they not changed the photo or description of the powder on their website, and they completely ignored me. They just replied I could return the products. As of today they still use the old photo of the old powder, and the ingredient list is still the one for the old powder!!! That's how much they care.

In case someone out there is interested, the new ingredient list is: Aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, silica, dimethicone/vinyl dimethiconcrosspolymer, talc, dimethicone, phenoxyethanol, capryl glycol. The old powder's ingredient list was: Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Sodium Dehydroacetate.

What surprises me the most is to not find any reviews of anyone who feels the same way as I do about the disappearance of the old powder, not even here on makeupalley. Really is there no-one out there whose skin notices the huge difference between the two formulas? So odd to me.

I've been trying to buy stock of the old powder on ebay, iherb, etc but I always have to ask whether it's the new or the old powder, because they all use the old photo and even the old ingredient list that comes with the description of the powder hasn't been modified. Fortunately I did buy 20 of them last November from iherb, when they still had the old version. But I'll run out sooner or later and although I've been searching I still haven't found a replacement. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd love to hear about them, do contact me please. I don't know what I'll use when I run out. I have very sensitive, pale, delicate, combination skin with dry areas around my eyes and lips, and this powder used to be perfect for my skin.

If anyone knows where I could still buy the old powder please let me know I'll be more than happy to purchase it (although I won't pay a ridiculous price for it). Thanks!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Okay you guys asked and they delivered - I was just at the drugstore looking to get this and they repackaged it!

It's no longer in the big black square container. It's a smaller, round container with a clear bottom (where the powder is) so you can see how much you have left. It has a one-sided sifter so less product will come out AND a circular slider on the sifter so you can close it off completely if you wanted. Comes with a puff that fits neatly over the new sifter contraption. On the inside of the lid, it says "pour product here" and the product comes out very neatly this way. Overall, I think they successfully addressed the concerns everyone had with their old packaging. I do think you might get somewhat less product in total now, however.

The powder itself is awesome as a setting powder for the T-zone and undereyes. I find it minimizes creasing and really keeps oil at a minimum during the day. It also sits on the skin in a very flattering way, where it blurs pores and creates a veil over the skin. I haven't experienced any dryness or whitecast on my skin (NW20).

on 8/23/2017 2:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I don't know if it's me but I always end up with cakey makeup with this loose powder. The powder is not fine enough and makes it harder for me to buff out. Overall its okay but I think there are better alternatives like Milani Loose Translucent Powder.

on 8/7/2017 11:04:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

This is a very good basic powder. I always end up buying this because you get a ton of product for only 6$. It is a bit drier on my skin which is why it isnt my favorite powder.

on 6/8/2017 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A simple and straight forward translucent powder. I think that's all you can really ask for at this price point.

I agree that the packaging isn't ideal, but it's mostly controlled by keeping the sponge in the top. It flies everywhere when I try to use a brush, so I use the puff to apply it then a brush to blend it out/sweep away excess.

on 6/28/2017 2:32:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is a review for the shade "corrective yellow".

As a warm toned/tan gal, this powder is a must for me. It's a bit too dry for under my eyes (though to be fair my undereyes are hecka dry), but for my face, it's marvelous. It absorbs my oil and keeps me matte noticeably longer. It smooths out my skin after foundation and helps to blur pores and make them less noticeable. The yellow tone adds a subtle hint of warmth and helps to correct the tone of foundations that are too neutral for my skin tone. I don't think it's strong enough to correct a cool toned foundation, but I wouldn't buy a cool toned foundation either way. It's a really good value. I noticed a lot of similarities between the ingredients listed in this powder and the ingredients in the UD Velvetizer, which is advertised as a mix in medium. So I attempted to mix this in with my favorite foundation, and it actually looks pretty great. Go figure.

I will say though, the packaging is way too huge. It's also very messy, even for a loose powder. I just peel off only half of the sticker covering the little holes in the sifter (is that what it's called?) and snip it off, so only half of the holes are exposed. This makes a huge difference and reduces the kick-up when you open the jar by a lot.

on 7/21/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was the first loose setting powder I tired and it wasn't all that bad. The powder itself is good for baking and setting foundation/concealer. Something I didn't like about this product is the price. For $6 you get .28 ounces. Since this is a loose powder, it can be very messy, which means you waste more product. I recommend the Cory Airspun Translucent powder instead. It costs just under $6 at Walmart and comes with way more product, and in my opinion, it's better quality. It comes with 8 times more powde rthan the ELF one.