E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder

4.1

on 6/8/2017 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

A simple and straight forward translucent powder. I think that's all you can really ask for at this price point.

I agree that the packaging isn't ideal, but it's mostly controlled by keeping the sponge in the top. It flies everywhere when I try to use a brush, so I use the puff to apply it then a brush to blend it out/sweep away excess.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I use this powder for everything. Seriously. Under foundation, over foundation, no foundation, even if I haven't washed my face (wince!). It's just the fastest and easiest way to get some soft focus, mattifying going on. If I apply mid-day, it's like it 'freezes' any oils on my face and nullifies them (still may need foundation touch ups if it's broken down in t-zone). It never settles in my pores ad makes them look gross...that's a must!

I don't use the puff, I shake some into the lid and swirl my ELF complexion brush around - then I dust it on all over. Done.

I reviewed the pressed version previously, and I do prefer that version for two reasons. 1. The powder in the loose version has some larger/grittier pieces that are hard to pick up and apply - the pressed form is very uniform. 2. The loose form packaging is HUGE, and screws open and closed - the pressed form is flip-top.

Anyway, I've almost finished a whole container of this and already have another on hand. It's just so versatile and nice. I stock up during ELF's big sales, so...8g for $3 US? Yes, please!

Eh, this is okay. It's very much a no frills kind of powder.

Pros:
-it's dirt cheap
-cruelty free
-does a pretty good job of setting and mattifying my face
-doesn't break me out
-sturdy plastic jar

Cons:
-It's a loose powder, and it gets EVERYWHERE
-doesn't seem to last me very long because of that

I've been through a few jars of this stuff. Tried different brands from time to time, I find myself coming back to ELF every time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

It stays on for hours which is what you want in a powder, it sets lovely under the eyes also. However, I've noticed that in other areas of my face the powder emphasises and clings to dry patches.

on 3/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a no-frills loose powder. I like it for setting my makeup. I don't find it uneven, but I saw a number of other reviews that mentioned that. I agree the packaging is not great - I keep the sponge in it to prevent the powder from getting all over the place.

on 3/12/2017 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a good product considering price and look of the skin after application. Packaging is not so good, but considering the price, product is good. For somebody on budget this is worth trying.

on 3/1/2017 6:10:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Good for the price, the pckaging is a mess but the product looks nice on the face.

on 2/17/2017 3:27:00 PM

I LOVE this! I mix it in with my powder and it gives me a dewy finish! I use it every day!

on 2/13/2017 3:13:00 PM

I would give this 2.5 stars if I could. I'm really on the fence about it, leaning to NO. I tried this powder today (not the first time) and it was just awful. I had to wash my face at lunchtime and redo my makeup, it was that bad! I used a puff to apply and it just didn't work.

As others have stated, it's not finely milled so you get some chunks here and there. Applied with a brush, it's just awful unless you have a VERY light hand. Use one of those duo-fiber brushes to pick up only a tiny amount (and none of the chunks), and dust your face lightly. If I do that, I get a very nice, poreless finish. When applying with the puff, a light hand is also necessary, otherwise you end up with a white cast.

The price on this powder is great. The packaging is the worst I've ever seen for such a product. The holes are too big and too much comes out. If it goes in your bag, be careful before opening it cause it will fly all over the place. Not a great powder for on-the-go. I'm going to keep trying with the duo-fiber brush and see if I can get my moneys worth from this. I will not repurchase it, though.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this item because of the great reviews on this site - huge mistake. I know it's only a few dollars but damn. Not even worth that. Firstly, the powder is inconsistent and not all finely milled. There were some large pieces of powder that my brush just could not pick up. As other reviewers have noted, the packaging is terrible and very messy. I put this on and it left a very noticeable white cast over my entire face and even seemed to suck up some of the coverage of my very high coverage foundation (Urban Decay's All Nighter) to the point where I could see the redness in my cheeks poking through. I also tried baking my under eye with this product and it actually caused some sensitivity and discomfort to my under eye area. Overall, I know we try to save money where we can with makeup and find good drug store dupes but I'm gonna stick with my Laura Mercier Translucent Powder. I actually apologized to my skin after using this.