4.2

package quality

price range

Reviews

12 years ago

This stuff is the only grooming product my boyfriend and I would fight over. It has that signature Aveda botanical scent that wears all day and doesn't get too sickly sweet. It gives amazing texture and makes my superthick, stick straight hair piecey. Just a tiny bit will do, you have to rub it and warm it up in your hands first and then apply throughout. Super sexy hair guaranteed. So much better at giving that dirty look than the Jonathan product "dirt"- which is equivalent to smearing cake frosting in your hair imho.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

SkinNormal, Tan

HairBlack

EyesBrown

13 years ago

First of all.... this smells sooooooooo good!!!! It gives my hair a little texture and a little stick. I have lots of layers and this helps to keep it looking just the right amount of messy. A litlle goes a very long way so be sparing. My Fiance uses this stuff too. Added bonus -- no shine!!! Matte finish!!! A+!!!

About reviewer (103 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

13 years ago

I have fine hair, about 50% gray (thus it's always being colored), shorter in the back (3 inches) - longer in the front(5 inches) very layered short hair. Tried this product as a suggestion by one Aveda stylist. Love it! Thought about taking off 1 point for $...but ALL Aveda products are pricey. I use just about a pea size amount - sometimes more if I am going for major poofing. It has to be warmed up between your hands to make it workable/usable. I warm the product only between my fingertips best I can as I just waste the rest if it's further down my fingers or on my palms. I use it to piece apart the little flippy section on the back of my head & pull it through the longer pieces of hair upfront that I like smoothed above my forehead. The rest I use to puff up my roots on the crown of my head. Hope that all made sense. I still follow up with a blast of hairspray for good measure. I live in a VERY hot & VERY humid coastal area so it's an on-going battle to fight the heat & humidity & this holds up the best of any styling product I have used. If I leave my hair to do it's own thing then it will frizz up & curl in strange ways - this product helps combat that side effect. But it takes some fiddling to get the right amount that does the job at first. Also it takes some getting used to softening this stuff up to make it useful. It can leave a "I have some kind of product on my hair" feel but then again...I have some kind of product on my hair! I use a clarifying shampoo 1x week so build up is not an issue. Can't imagine someone with long hair would find this useful at all. It's definitely for shorter styles & those with lots of layers. Had it for nearly 4 months now & still have quite a bit of product left - so it lasts quite a well which offsets the cost in my eyes.

About reviewer (13 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBrown

EyesBrown

13 years ago

Great product. Has a nice neutral smell that doesn't irritate like some waxes and it gives a nice natural hold to short/medium length hair. Can't say about hold for longer. But I agree with other reviewers that it's good for getting the 'layered/piecey' look and not for more dramatic stylings

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinOther

HairOther

EyesOther

13 years ago

I have used this product for awhile now and I am pleased. It seems to hold hair all day without that sticky crispy look. It does a nice job

About reviewer (17 reviews)

SkinOily

HairBrunette

EyesGreen

13 years ago

I sometimes use my roomies tub of this. When it works, it works well creating a piecey/textured look. Smells great just like the rest of the Aveda line. A small tub will last a LONG time because all it takes is a small swipe of a couple fingers and place where needed on dry hair. Kind of pricey but I will probably get some for myself pretty soon. Agreed that once hair is "perfect" it doesn't seem to stay that way (as with all prodcts I have found). I was introduced to this when my old stylist cut my hair and used it on me at an Aveda concept salon.

About reviewer (78 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other

HairBrunette

EyesHazel

2.0

13 years ago

not too crazy about this one. it really only works well for short to medium length hair, and is more about creating that piecy textured look than giving any hold. it smells good, but it's pretty greasy, and just didn't seem to last long enough.

About reviewer (198 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Neutral

HairBrown, Straight, Medium

EyesHazel

13 years ago

Love this product! I think it smells delicious (not in an 'I want to eat that' kind of way) and it works great. I use it to make my flipped out, layered hair look piecy. A little goes a long way, and a lot will make your hair look greasy. It also works great to tame fly aways! The only problem I ever have is that it doesn't last a long time unless I put a little hair spray on top.

About reviewer (141 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBlond

13 years ago

Ok, I haven't used this product in almost two years now, but, when I had a short pixie cut a few years ago, this was my HG pomade. I hated everything else that I tried with that short, fun, spunky haircut that I used to rock. It worked perfectly with my piecy, layered short cut. I've actually been thinking of going very short again like I used to have it, because my hair is pretty damaged nowadays, and I love Aveda products. If I do go short, I'll be stocking up on this stuff. One thing though, you have to be careful not to use too much product, or else it can make your hair greasy.

About reviewer (11 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Fine

13 years ago

I love this product! I am currently growing my hair from a choppy crop, and I've had difficulty finding a product that won't weigh my hair down or pull out my waves. Control Paste is my HG - a little on my finger, rub it on my hands, and I scrunch it into my hair. Voila, waves that last all day! It takes 5 minutes to do my hair, I get tons of compliments - how often does that happen when you are growing your hair out? Highly recommend!!

About reviewer (15 reviews)

Age30-35