4.2

package quality

price range

Reviews

12 years ago

This product is excellent at giving separation and definition to my layers without weighing down my hair too much. I have fine hair with the tiniest touch of wave cut in a long, shaggy bob with long bangs. Most days I air dry my hair so that the layers have a bit of curl and then apply this product when I get to work. It defines my layers and keeps my bangs from having too much of the freshly washed and poofy look. I personally love the smell, but if you aren't into Aveda scents, you aren't going to like this one either. It's a bit pricey, but you only need a tiny dab and the pot is huge! I think it's well worth it because I've never found a cheaper paste/pomade that works as well.

About reviewer (34 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair

EyesHazel

12 years ago

Control Paste is a great styling product for shorter hair styles. My hairdresser always uses this to style my hair after a cut and I just couldn't duplicate the look at home with drug store hair pomades, waxes or gels. Everything else made my hair too sticky or too greasy. I rub a small amount of this between my palms with some Light Elements Smoothing Fluid, run my hands through my hair to distribute then smooth my hair into place. I find it gives my hair a smooth, natural, shiny look. I sometimes rub a bit extra on the ends of my hair to control flyaways. I think this product probably works best with shorter hair. When I've gone too long between cuts, this product doesn't help "control" my hair. I have tried to find a similar, less expensive drug store product to no avail. So I will begrudgingly pay $30 CAD per tub. At least it has that great Aveda smell.

About reviewer (86 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

12 years ago

This is a nice texturizing product for shorter, messy shag-type cuts. It provides more hold than the typical wax although not so much as a gel. It's not greasy or sticky yet still pliable enough to be easy to work with and does not leave nasty clumps in my hair. Smell is that subtle herbal Aveda smell which is great as I don't like sickly sweet smelling hair products. Lasting power is about as good as your gonna get for a product with a 'soft' finish. It gets a lippie off for the price - even though I don't mind splashing out on my products $50 (Aussie) just seems ridiculous for such a basic pomade. The appearance of the pot does not imply a luxury product -it's plain clear plastic and looks like it comes from the supermarket. I know that sounds shallow but I get annoyed when expensive products *look* cheapo. If it were a more reasonable price I'd certainly repurchace. I don't think Aveda is so expenive in other countries though. The product overall is superior to Sebastian pomades (greaseball alert) imo.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

12 years ago

This is great paste. I love the fragrance. It is fresh and earthy and leaves my hair smelling clean. I need to rub it between my fingers before smoothing it through my hair otherwise i'll get quite a few white globs through my hair. It holds my crazy baby hairs down. It also helps my hair look a little more healthy and shiny.

About reviewer (67 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium

HairBlack

12 years ago

Good! And I typically don't like using hair products, so good is more like great from me. This stuff adds separation and texture to my fun short haircut.. not sticky.. smells okay, not too strong. Fun and easy to use.. creates definition in a snap! And you get quite a lot of product.. it should last me for ages and ages. My one complaint is that washing my hair the next morning is a must because this stuff isn't so fun when it's been in your hair overnight. Might repurchase.

About reviewer (318 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBlond, Straight, Coarse

3.0

12 years ago

I really want to like this stuff but I just don't. It's supposed to give my hair separation and texture and hold with minimal shine, but it just makes it feel...dirty. What it does for my hair reminds me of Jonathan's Dirt. This product works the best for me when my hair is super dry, has already been styled, and needs some more control. Then, a few hours later, my hair just looks blah. The smell is lovely, and the packaging is fine. Unfortunately, I don't like the texture, which is oddly lumpy when I emulsify it in my hands. I used this in the past, maybe 4-5 years ago, and I should've remembered there was a reason I stopped buying it. I won't be repurchasing.

About reviewer (106 reviews)

SkinOily, Olive

EyesGreen

from

12 years ago

I really dig this product for my long curly hair. Works great as product to use after hair is dry, before hairspray. It really makes the curl more defined and gets rid of frizz. Diffuse or air dry, put product in palms and rub hands together to warm it up, apply to ends and places that need extra definition, tip head upside down, scrunch. Spray with hairspray if desired.

About reviewer (538 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrown, Other, Other

12 years ago

About two months ago I donated my hair to locks for love and went from having really long hair to a bob. It was pretty dramatic, but a nice change. Never having short hair in my life this new bob took some getting used to. Finding the right hair products was a challenge b/c of all the layers and texture with the new cut. This control paste was used on me at the salon as a finishing product. I picked it up that day after asking the stylist what she used and couldn't be happier with it. This is the perfect product b/c it adds shine, shape, and that piecey look everybody wants. This is the best product for my new stylish bob and recommend any girl with a short to med length style pick this one up.

About reviewer (118 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

12 years ago

This is a wonderful styling paste. It creates a matte finish - with lots of piece-y definition. The scent is appealing and calming. I love that the packaging and container are eco-friendly. My only complaint is the price - $22 - but the product goes a long way, so you should only have to purchase this sparingly.

About reviewer (7 reviews)

SkinOily, Fair-Medium

HairRed

EyesBlue

12 years ago

Like this product alot. It gives your hair a mild shine, and allows you to mold your hair to the style you want. I think this would probably be better for shorter hair types, and remember not to put this in when your hair is too wet. The only thing i dont like about this is the feeling when you wash it out of your hair....

About reviewer (41 reviews)

SkinOily