Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel

Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel

3.8

Not tested on animals

Aqua, Aloe barbadensis leaf gel, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Allantoin, Sodium Carbomer, Sodium Citrate, Phenoxyethanol, Sorbic Acid

on 7/10/2017 5:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This gel moisturizer provides light hydration and it's not enough for me; however, it's one of the only moisturizers I've tried that won't break me out (and that's huge for me). I've experienced slight stickiness with this product, but it all depends on how much I am applying. Since this isn't breaking me out, I use it as a light moisturizer at night or when I'm not applying foundation. If you're acne prone and can't find a moisturizer, I would give product this a try.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was quite disappointed with this product on my dehydrated skin. It feels comparable to aloe vera gel, but unlike plain aloe it balled up under makeup, caused little pimples around my mouth and is more expensive. For the slight amount of moisture it provided it simply isn't worth those side effects. Edit: It also makes my eczema flare up terribly, it seems so simple but there's clearly something in it my skin doesn't like. I prefer Reviva or Skinceuticals serums.

on 11/8/2016 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Why can't I find decent products like this in Nova Scotia? I am forced to order it online for twice what it's retailed in stores. Ridiculous.

Anyway, I really like this gel moisturizer. It is free from oils, fatty alcohols, and emulsifiers. The ingredient list is really simple and it actually moisturizes my skin. I can't use anything much heavier, maybe a little Impruv cream mixed with a dab of this or niacinamide gel.
These last three months I have managed to get control of my skin and it rarely reacts *touch wood* the way it used to. I have spent a lot of money to get to this point: calm, clear skin. It will never be perfect, I have facial scars and so on but because of these flaws it's important to me that my skin is as clear and healthy as possible.
I recommend this moisturizing gel for acne-prone skin, combo skin or congested skin. It's very basic, so don't expect it to do more than form a film over your skin and protect it.
That is in fact, the nature and function of moisturizers. The hard part is finding a film forming ingredient that doesn't irritate your skin.
UPDATE~Still liking this gel a year later. I just wish I didnt have to order it online.
UPDATE~six months after my last update. This gel was really starting to irritate my skin. It caused clogged pores, irritation and even more dryness that if I hadn't used it all so I won't be using or buying this again.I don't know what happened I used to like it so much

on 11/28/2016 3:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Kind of expensive, but it is one of the only moisturizers that I can use with my irritated, acne prone skin without worrying about it causing acne or drying it out. Currently am on tretinoin, so I have very irritated and dehydrated skin. This put moisture back into my skin and is allowing it to heal slowly.

The texture is a light gel that for me is very hydrating on its own (draws moisture into the skin), but it does not have any occlusives (prevents the water from evaporating). You don't need a lot to cover the face, so in the daytime I wear a thin layer and put a sunscreen on top of it, which has enough occlusive properties to prevent my skin from drying out. If you don't use a lot of it, it doesnt feel like a thick layer on the skin. At night I put a thicker layer on and my skin always feels nice and calm the next day.

Whenever I switch to other moisturizers, my skin condition always slowly starts to get worse, so this is my go-to moisturizer if I want a no-frills, calming, gentle moisturizer that wont break me out and is hydrating. Will keep repurchasing :)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This was recommended by my derma and so far the only moisturizer that doesn't break me out or irritates my face (I have super sensitive skin). I use this in conjunction with the Sebamed Clear Face Tone. Im currently on my 2nd bottle and will keep on repurchasing until I find a better one because it's really expensive in my country :(

I really really want to love this moisturiser. I love the consistency. The packaging and infos looks promising. Even many dermatologists talked about it. BUT, it doesnt really absorb into skin and causes break out on me. My friends noticed that my face become really red and bumpy. Its not enough for dry winter and become sticky and produces film during hot and humid weather.

on 9/23/2014 6:44:00 AM

This is the only moisturiser that I can use without worrying about it irritating or causing breakouts (it's oil and fragrance free). It has allantoin which I find to be very soothing on my acne prone sensitive skin. It is a very simple and effective moisturiser which does a good job of moisturising my face in both summer and winter (I live in Sydney where its not too cold/drying). I do sometimes feel like I could use something a bit heavier in Winter but mostly this suffices year round. It would work very well with a serum like argan or rose hip oil underneath. It's very hard to find effective, basic products that are oil and fragrance free with nice ingredients like allantoin. So that is another reason I am giving this a glowing review. I hope they never discontinue it as I would have nothing equally as good to replace it with.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

The good: did not cause irritation or breakouts/closed comedones.

The bad: did not completely sink in, felt filmy, did not moisturize yet made me oilier (probably the glycerin), a little overpriced.

Back to my trusty Clinique DDMG I go.

on 3/12/2015 6:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

======UPDATE 05/26/2015======
I have been testing a new sunscreen (Levevis Sun Protection Ansigtscreme SPF 30) for the past few days. I thought at first it also irritates me (very mild burning sensation that lasts a few seconds, especially around the eyes), although much less so than other sunscreens I tested before. Either that, or the fragranced hydrating serum I'm currently using. After a few tries, I no longer saw the need to top my hydrating serum with this gel before the ss as it makes the ss takes longer to sink it and it doesn't provide much hydration anyway for me, so I dropped it off my routine.

Lo and behold. Those burning sensation and peelies disappeared. I avoid the eye area when applying the serum and the fragrance no longer bothers me. I will still find another hydrator to replace the serum, but I'm now sure that for some reason, this gel irritates my skin.

It's a good, no-frill hydrator for most people, especially oily and acne/clog-prone skins. Unfortunately, it no longer agrees with my skin.

======UPDATE 05/07/2015======
At the moment, my skin's moisture barrier is shot from irritation from avobenzone and high amount of alcohol in some sunscreens I'd been testing in the prior 3 weeks. I thought this gel would alleviate the uncomfortable tightness and stinging feelings on my face, so I was slathering this heavily before sealing with sunflower oil and Vaseline. However, I kept feeling warm uncomfortable sensation whenever I put this on. It turned out my face became so sensitive it cannot even handle something in this gel.

I'm not taking off any lippie as my prior experience with this was decent and my recent experience is based on my most fragile state of skin (which is bad). I'll still give this my recommendation for anyone, in a budget or not, especially for combo/oily/acne/clog-prone skin, looking for a good hydrating product.

======ORIGINAL REVIEW======
My skin: Combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV. Freckles and PIH from hives.

This gel feels quite nice on my skin. Sometimes, if I apply too much, I feel it doesn't completely sinks in, though, but make a film on my skin, instead. I don't particularly like it, but don't find it really bothersome, either.
But recently, my skin got so irritated and dehydrated that it just drinks up this gel, leaving no residue on my skin.

I remember when I used it many years back, it pilled on my skin. I haven't experienced it again now. It does feel my skin feels nicely hydrated and very calming whenever my skin gets irritated. The first couple uses, I feel like my skin gets a bit drier, but after that my skin feels comfortable, as if the benefit builds up on my skin.

It's a proper hydrator and generally safe for all skin types. It doesn't clog me or aggravate my SD/PD. In fact, it calmed down the SD reaction I got from SkinCeuticals B5 Gel.

I will repurchase as long as I don't find anything better. In any case, this makes my favorite list (read: list of SD/PD-prone safe/recommended products).

on 1/22/2015 12:14:00 PM

Oh, I wanted to love this much! The consistency was watery-gel sort and I could tell it would feel light enough on my super sensitive, acne prone skin. I had been using the normal moisturizing cream from Sebamed which so far had been great on my skin and hadn't broken me out. But I wanted to try this one more because it was aimed specifically for acne prone skin. However, the next day itself I had new red bumps all over my face and by the evening, I had whiteheads on the red bumps! I immediately knew this was to blame as this was the only new product in my skin care regime. Suffice to say, I wouldn't be buying this again!