St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
 St. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse
St. Moriz Self Tanner MousseSt. Moriz Self Tanner MousseSt. Moriz Self Tanner Mousse

4.2

Aqua (Water), Dihydroxyacetone, Propylene Glycol, Ethoxydiglycol, Polysorbate 20, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Parfun (Fragrance), Citric Acid, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Coumarin, Citronellol, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Eugenol, CI 16035 (Red40), CI 19140 (Yellow 5), CI 42090 (Blue 1)

It’s cheap but there is a reason for this. It’s my second bottle, don’t know what possessed me to buy a cheap self tanner but I did - dark mousse.
I regularly self tan, don’t really have many misshaps or struggles anymore but I actually ended up washing this one off me immediately on 1st application. Right - tried again, a few days later and it went better but I just don’t like using it, it dries really fast and you have to rub it in quickly. Yesterday I again started applying it (nice cardio...) and basically after i did my legs i switched to a different (not that much more expensive) mousse with guide colour and it was just so much easier. It still had the guide colour but it was gliding allowing me to spread it evenly.

Yes it does work and the tan looks ok but i don’t find it pleasant to use at all, it also smells.

If you want a cheap self tanner then try it, it may work, people seem to love it, I don’t.

The price is great and the package is fine. I bought this product after all the rave because it's supposedly the best budget fake tanner out there. It did very little for me. I'm very, very fair skinned. The medium left a slight orange tint which was gone after 2 days. Then I tried two layers of the dark one, again did very little. I got slightly darker but it looked like very naturally light, untanned skin. Again it was gone in 2 days, expect on my feet where I hadn't moisturized well. Fortunately this one wasn't orangey. Anyway it did so little for me I won't be buying this again.

on 3/18/2017 3:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

*Unfortunately, I cannot compare this with any other tanning product, as the only other tanning products I have used are gradual tanners.*

Price - I'm from the UK, and I personally buy this from Body Care, for £2.99, as until recently, it was one of the few stockists, but it is now widely available online and in many stores, including Tesco! I also buy the mitt from Body Care.

Application - I have been using St. Moriz on and off for many years now, but only in the last few months have I tried the mousse, as I used to use the lotion. Compared to the lotion, the mousse is so much easier to apply, as there is a lot more blending involved with the lotion, which can end up streaky - overall the mousse is just a much more pleasant experience. As with all self-tanners, it is important to exfoliate and shave, and to moisturize the joint and bony areas of the body prior to applying, to ensure an even coverage, to prevent it clinging to dry patches, and from sinking in to fleshy, folded areas. I use a latex glove under the mitt, as the product does seep through the mitt onto the skin. I like to ensure that my pores have closed, and my skin is completely dry before applying, so about 30 mins after showering, I apply the product one layer at a time, on to one body part at a time (i.e. calves, then move on to thighs, then stomach and so on), and when the first layer has been applied to all body parts, I then apply a second layer, using the same technique. I feel that it is important to apply the second layer in a relatively short space of time after the first, as if I was to apply the second layer 1 hour after the first, for example, the product would start to pill. I apply the tan at night, sleep, and then rinse off in the morning, so it is probably on my skin for about 9 hours, even though it recommends 6 hours. I do not think that leaving it on for those extra 3 hours deepens the shade, nor extends the tan life.

Smell - On first instance, and during development, the smell is typical of self-tanners, but not as pungent as gradual tanners, which I truly cannot stand (I loved the colour of the Dove gradual tan, but I stopped using it after first use because the smell made me feel sick) but does disappear after rinsing.

Colour - I have only tried the medium shade, and the colour initially applies quite green/orange, but develops into a more red/golden shade.

Longevity - I shower every day, so I can only get about 2-3 days out of this before it starts to fade.

Overall - I have given this 4 lippies, as I don't get much wear out of it before it starts to fade. I think that the price probably reflects the longevity, and a higher priced fake tan would probably last longer on my skin, but honestly, the price is so good, with a good volume of product, that I am not too bothered about it. It just takes more time out of m life to exfoliate it off and reapply. If you're on a budget (or not), give it a try!

However, I have mixed this with the Garnier Summer Body Gradual Tanner (actually mixing it in the glove then applying to the skin), which makes the St. Moriz last a little bit longer, but does change the undertone from red/golden to a more orange shade. See my review on Garnier Summer Body.

Also, I find the colour infuriating to match to a foundation! I am naturally between a Mac NC15 and NC20. If there was an NC17 shade, I think this would be perfect for me. I have a very naturally yellow undertone, and Revlon Colorstay 150 Buff is the colour I use every day without fake tan. I love Revlon Colorstay, as I have very oily skin, but I cannot find a perfect match for the St. Moriz tan!! And no other foundation that I can be bothered spending money on testing out matches the colour :( If anyone can match this tan to Revlon Colorstay, or a foundation that works as well as Colorstay, please please let me know!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I may just have very difficult skin because this is the second self tanner I've tried where I've had to apply two layers and it still didn't darken that much. When a bottle says "dark" I expect a lot darker than a mild bronze. I am originally very fair, though, and this tanner does not look orange or unnatural. Therefore it's a huge improvement compared to the few others I've tried! Just don't expect to turn into a deep olive skinned goddess... it made me 4 shades darker, max, with an overnight application and another 6 hour application after I rinsed off. It's still a pretty color but I guess if I really want a "dark" (like two week vacation on the beach dark) tan I'm not going to get it from a bottle. I look like I spent the day at the beach or the weekend at the pool.

This product is affordable and non-streaky. People say to apply with a tanning mitt but honestly I did the second application with disposable latex gloves and I think it turned out better, plus I feel like the mitt soaks up a lot of product (what a waste) and keeps you from getting darker. As long as you're careful and use less product and really work it in to your skin until it dries. Overall I think this is the best cheap tanning mousse on the market! Oh, it doesn't smell bad either.

The only reason it didn't get 5 stars is because I personally expected a much darker result. It did make my legs look great, though! The color grabbed on better than other self tanners I've tried. However my other "problem area", my breasts, are still pretty pale.

on 12/20/2016 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My fave tan by far! I can get a large bottle of this for about NZD$11 which is probably the best priced fake tan I can find anywhere in NZ, and considering it's the BEST fake tan I've ever used that is fantastic. I apply this with me Le Tan mitt. The mousse comes out evenly and has instant colour in it so you can see where you have applied it. A little goes a long way, it's very easy to blend. This is probably the least 'smelly' tan I've come across as well. Once it dries, which is also very quick, maybe 5 minutes max, the smell is hardly detectable but it's not that bad to begin with. I've found this doesn't transfer at all once it's dried so I don't have to worry about staining my clothes or sheets. The quick dry time is great for Summer so it doesnt leave you feeling sticky. I wish they had an ultra dark version as to get my desired level I have to tan twice, but it's worth it, an even BROWN tan, not orange at all and it lasts a good week before I have to scrub it all off. The only thing that lets it down is how it fades, it does the "reptile" skin fade, unlike the Le Tan one which fades naturally, but other than that it's amazing. And everything that the HORRIBLE Bondi Sands is not (I have a review and it's not good).

on 10/12/2016 10:01:00 AM

I have used this for a month now and I don't see how anyone could not love this product. 1. I love the tan this gives me, very natural looking. 2. The smell doesn't bother me. I can see how it would bother someone, but for me it wasn't so bad. 3. It does not fade blotchy or spotty. I think it fades great. 4. The price and packaging is perfectly fine and I see no problems with either. I will continue purchasing!!!

on 9/27/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I picked this up at Ulta when I was on a shopping trip out of town. I didn't realize Ulta carried it, so I was very excited to find it there! I'm a self-professed sunless tanning addict and I've tried literally nearly every kind out there - from the highest of high end to the lowest of low end. My favorite brands are Loving Tan, St. Tropez, and Famous Dave's. Even though I've found some that I love, I'm always up for trying something new and this was something I was always curious about. I bought it in Dark. For reference, I'm naturally an NC10/15, NARS Siberia/Gobi - very fair-skinned with yellow/golden/slightly olive undertones. I naturally tan very quickly and dark, but don't want to risk the sun damage and increased risk of skin cancer. I have somewhat sensitive skin, and some tans have proven to be irritating.

I applied this using a St. Tropez tanning mitt. (I always recommend also wearing a pair of non-latex gloves underneath the mitt because the tan can sometimes seep through and stain your hands.) When I first pumped some of the product onto a paper towel to get an idea of the scent, it seemed to be a somewhat overwhelming soapy smell, like an old soap my grandparents used when I was a kid. But once I got it on the mitt and started applying, it wasn't that strong at all. It was actually a nice light, fresh scent. This mousse applies like *butter*. It glides on so smooth and almost creamy. It dried quickly but allowed plenty of time to get it blended properly. The color guide is much nicer looking than St. Tropez. It's not so blatantly green and is more of a deep olive brown. I was able to put my pajamas on within about 5 minutes and then I got into bed. Very impressed after initial application.

The next morning, the color guide looked gorgeous! I was so excited to see the actual result. Unfortunately, I was left pretty disappointed. After the guide had washed off I was left with very little color. It was about the equivalent of two applications of a gradual tanner. To its credit though, it was a very natural color. There are certain areas of my skin that fake tans tend to irritate, and the area that reacts the worst is my mid/lower back. After one application I experienced no itching. I decided to apply another layer the night after the first application. That got me to about where I wanted to be depth-wise, but I really prefer to only have to apply one layer of tan each week. But the color really was very nice! In all honesty I liked the color a little better than the St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse as it was reddish/olive/brown as opposed to the strong olive tone in St. Tropez that sometimes makes me look a bit green/coppery. However, after the day after that second application, I started experiencing pretty bad itching on my lower back. It took about 3 days for that to go away.

I also noticed after just 4 days that it was fading poorly on my upper arms and inner thighs so I ended up exfoliating it off at that point. Sunless tans (especially mousses) tend to last at least 6-7 days on me, so I was pretty disappointed with that. Prior to that I was thinking it would make a good winter tan because it's such a breeze to apply, so cheap, and gives a nice light glow with one application. But I don't think I want to deal with the bad fading and frequent re-applying. I would really probably give it a 3.5, but I bumped it up rather than down due to it's cheap price and awesome application and nice color. I do highly recommend trying it! It's so affordable and really seems to work very well for many people!

on 7/12/2015 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I have tried many of the higher end ones (such as St Tropez recently) and then the lower end ones (Jergens, Equate..ect). Last week I gave the spray version of this a shot (on accident..thought I bought the mousse) and I *really* loved that. However this is hands down my favorite.

PROS:

-Application: As I suspected, the mousse is a lot easier to apply than the spray.

-Color: Very believable, natural color. It is not orange based. I am NC10 (think albino with yellow undertones). This gave me a golden, brown tinted tan. It is beautiful.

-Longetivity: This lasts at least 3 days, even with showers (given I don't attempt scrubbing it off purposely).

-Even fade: It doesn't wear off in weird, noticeable patches the way some self tanners do.

-0 odor. Jergens Gradual Tan lotion back in 2008 turned me off sunless tanning for a very long time because it smelled like rancid cat pee. The sunless tanning product industry has really evolved, I don't smell any fragrance in this nor nasty chemicals.

-The color guard: You get an instant bronzing effect. Which is awesome, because it shows where the tanner has been applied. This helps give you an even application.

-Dries immediately: This dries almost too quickly, and that's what makes Moriz unique. So many of the self tanners on the market leave a tacky film on my skin, causing my pores to choke and inflame. St Moriz tanners dry within 30 seconds. I can use this on my acne prone face and trust 100% that is not the culprit of any of my (now rare) breakouts.

CONS

-Darkens acne scars and pools into pores: this is the only con I'd found. It'll take even the lightest acne scars on my face and turn them blood red. My big facial pores become black dots. I love this tanner enough that I am will to work around this flaw. Besides, I wear foundation everyday anyways.

I'll report back if I find a solution to that.

Either way, this stuff is amazing.

on 6/27/2015 9:03:00 PM

I have tried soooo many self tanners. From high end brands such as the tarte one and St Tropez, to drug store brands such as Nivea and jergins. This is the holy grail of self tanners. It is AMAZING. the color is absolutely stunning and lasts foreverrrrrrr. The packaging can get a little messy but that's okay. It's awesome. Get this self tanner ASAP. You will look like a bronze goddess haha. It's so good. I get lots of compliments :). The price is amazing too it's like $12 or so. You can't go wrong with this!! It is not orange what so ever either! Try it you'll love it.

on 3/21/2015 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

This tan is amazing!

-It doesn't stain clothes, after you've showered off the guide colour after 6 hours.
-It gives a really nice, brown look, not in the least bit orange
-It blends perfectly, no streaks or patches
-It's extremely easy to use

I wouldn't use it too often for a night out, unless I was wearing a light colour outfit, as it is a very natural tan. I wore it to a ball last night and needed to do three layers to get to the colour I wanted, however I was using the medium shade so that may be why. It's the perfect tan for a nice, natural glow.

Overall the tan is amazing, everything you could want in an instant tan, and the price is amazing.