Sigma F55 - SMALL DUO FIBRE BRUSH

2.7

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I don't find the hair too scratchy, but for a brush with hair this length, it is simply not dense enough. The brush then became wimpy, less controllable, especially making circular strokes. On top of that, the white fibers are too long, making a wimpy brush more limp. I don't find it is good enough for dusting my keyboard.

I heard raving reviews for this product so I bought this instead od buying the mac one. I heard it was dense and firm so I was so eager to get it for my cream blushes. When I received it, it wasn't dense or firm. It also shedded a lot! When I applied my creme blush, it made it streaky and did not blend it well. I was so dissapointed :(

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

***CLICK CONTINUED FOR PICTURES***
I bought this brush because of all those raving videos on youtube. I don't have MAC 188 to compare the two, but I'm not too crazy about ss188. While it's very soft and doesn't shed at all, it's also not as stiff as I would like it to be and doesn't apply liquid foundation well. On the other hand, it's great for heavily pigmented blushes and highlighting powder. I don't regret buying this brush, only wish it was stiffer.

continued >>

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Ok so I wanted to see what the Sigma Hype was all about, maybe it was just the two brushes I got ( a 187 to compare to my MAC one and a 188 which I didn't have)

I am thoroughly dissapointed though. The bristles are soft but flimsy, not at all compareable to MAC brushes, they are about the quality of my much cheaper Eco Tools Brushes ( which I adore) but the stiffness in the brushes is lacking a bit.

I couldn't imagine purchasing the entire kit of brushes. Don't get me wrong, they do the job ok, I mean if you don't want to get nice brushes theese are a good alternative. They weren't bad actually at all, they just weren't worth what the hype made them out to be. I however liked the 188 better than the 187, which had very few white bristles and looked kinda sad.

The 188 felt a bit more dense, and it was easier to apply liquid foundation and blush with this brush VS the 187.

I ordered this brush after seeing someone use it on YouTube for foundation, and so far I love it. It's soft but bouncy and it gives you a great "airbrushed" finish. I haven't had any shedding problem with it so far, but it does take a while to dry so I'm going to order a second one to use with mineral powder (I use the one I have now with liquid foundation.) I've seen some less flattering reviews for using it with creme or heavier foundation/blush, but for my use so far it's been a bargain.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I bought the Sigma SS188 specifically to apply liquid foundation using a stippling technique. While I do like this brush it is by no means perfect, it has definite pros and cons.

CONS: The SS188 sheds. Upon first washing it shed two hairs. Since then it has shed one to two hairs per use and also per washing. I wish the SS188 were just a bit more dense. The shorter black bristles on a duo fiber brush work by holding the longer white bristles in place. I wish the white bristles were a little denser and more finely distributed so that I could get a finer application. I also wish the black bristles were denser so they could hold the white bristles in place more securely. Application could be better - the white bristles don't stay as separated as I'd like and so I get larger "pixels" of foundation than I'd like when stippling. The white bristles that end up sticking together also pick up more liquid foundation than the white bristles that stay separated - this makes for an uneven application, which requires another going-over with the brush, which makes the foundation thicker, which defeats the purpose of stippling which is supposed to create an airbrush thin layer of "pixelated" makeup...you get the idea.

PROS: First and foremost, the price - $14. This truly is a quality brush for the price. The question is though, is this brush a quality brush amongst other duo fiber brushes out there. Price wise, the SS188 lands in the middle - cheaper than MAC, more expensive than Sonia Kashuk & Coastal Scents. I think it's pretty easy to say in this particular instance that you get what you pay for - the MAC 188 is best, the Sigma SS188 is next in line, followed closely by the Sonia Kashuk, and finally Coastal Scents. The SS188 has an excellent long black wooden handle with nickel-plated ferrules - the look of this brush is very MAC. I can see the quality and fine craftsmanship in the handle & ferrule. The bristles on this brush are nice and springy - they are firm enough to bounce over my skin when I stipple on my liquid foundation while being pliable enough not to harshly poke my face. Application using a stippling technique with the SS188 is nice, not perfect though - it does work the makeup into the texture of my skin which gives my foundation a more natural appearance.

OVERALL: I'm glad I got this brush. It's not perfect but it's a great backup brush for me because I really love the effects I get from dup fiber brushes (thus I use them a lot). I would recommend this brush as a backup brush for people who love their MAC 188 and want an extra duo fiber brush for when their 188 is dirty or still wet from washing. I would highly recommend this brush for someone who is just starting out with makeup - I certainly would have LOVED to have a brush this nice back then. It's got it's pros and cons but the Sigma SS188 is a quality brush for the price. It's an impressive product considering how new the company is. Hopefully Sigma brushes will continue to improve as the company reviews feedback from consumers.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I think this brush is okay. It does the job. I wish it was more stiff to stipple my foundation. I prefer my MAC 188 brush.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I can't live without my MAC 187 or 188. If I had to choose between one I would probably pick the 188, so that's why I decided to buy this brush as a back up to my MAC one.

This brush is an okay brush, but doesn't compare anywhere to the MAC one. The bristles are a bit longer on the Sigma 188, so it has a tendency to droop when I press it on my face. The MAC 188 bristles are a tiny bit shorter and denser, but I think make for better blending of foundation and concealer. The Sigma brush isn't bad for light bronzer or blush, but I wish it would blend like its MAC counterpart. Not bad for the price, but I wouldn't recommend this one.

Ok...I'm really sad. I just received this brush and I have to say that they must have changed it or something. I bought this same brush several months ago and after comparing the old one I had with the new one, I realized that the new one is about 1/2 the density of the old one???? I was planning on ordering a back up to my ss109 (which I LUV!!) but now I'm having second thoughts. :-(

i wanted to find out what all the hype was about on youtube, so i bought the ss188 brush. keeping in mind that it is not exactly like the mac brush, it delivered the same airbrushed result. I liked how the bristles allowed a little bounce-it wasn't too stiff/firm- the perfect firmness to apply foundation.

the ss197 is a great brush to reduce streakiness, that's what i used to buff out all my makeup. it's out of stock now though, didn't know it was that popular! i guess you can be on the waiting list though.

good brush for good price.

Popular Makeup Brushes