MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder

4.3

on 5/7/2009 10:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is a DEFINITE keeper for me! I've read reviews regarding this product and the raves it was receiving. So I thought to myself, "Well, why not spend money on make-up once again and try it out?!" Well, the $21 dollars (plus tax) I spent on it was WELL WORTH IT!

I have 8+ hours days with school and work and it's very important for my make-up to stay in place and NOT slide off. Blessed with an oily skin (sarcasm people), I've tried multiple products out there to keep the oilies at bay. I've tried blotting powders (from MAC, which made my face cakey, gross and unsanitary), ant-shine (from Smashbox, worked alright, but after an hour, I was already shiny) and last, but not the least, milk of magnesia (worked okay, but the application took longer than I had hoped for). With this MAC's Prep + Prime, it's the only product that has kept my oiliness at bay longer than ANY anti-shine products I've tried in the past. I didn't think a white (colorless on your face) powder would do the trick, but it did! I apply this powder twice, BEFORE and AFTER applying make-up. Below is my make-up routine (steps 6-8 vary as I don't go by this every day).

1.) Moisturizer (Neutrogena's Oil Free Fresh Moisture)
2.) Primer (Smashbox Photo Finish in Original)
3.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)
4.) Concealer (MAC Select Moisturecover in NW 20)
5.) Mineral foundation/Powder foundation (Everyday Minerals [Winged Butter & Olive Medium mixed in Intensive formula] OR Make Up For Ever's Duo Mat Powder Foundation [shade #207])
6.) Bronzer (NARS Casino or Bare Escentuals' Faux Tan)
7.) Blush (MAC Blushbaby)
8.) Highlighter (NARS Albatross)
9.) Eyebrows (MAC Brow Gel in Show Off then filled in with MAC Brun eyeshadow)
10.) MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder (with a brush)

I have noticed that this transparent powder made my skin smoother prior and after putting on make-up. The amount I use on my face varies, because I apply a little more on my nose, forehead and cheek area. I've also noticed that my undereye concealer hasn't creased once I began this powder. My big issue with anti-shine products in the past was that it'd keep my face matte only for an hour (if not less, after applying my make-up, depending on the weather) and the oils begin to show. This powder blows ALL of the products I've used in the past. Oilies didn't begin to show until mid-day and my face when I got home felt lighter and less oily. If you have the same issue as I do, this product is very well worth it for the price.

P.S. I heard this is limited edition. If it's true, I'll make sure I get back-ups. :)

on 11/19/2009 11:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product is definitely HG status for me. It is AMAZING and I will never look for another finishing powder. I have very oily skin that I've been struggling for years to manage. Before this product, my best solution had been to use a primer (I've tried everything from Smashbox Photofinish to Benefit's Dr. Feelgood to Monistat Anti-Chafing Gel), then apply my foundation, and then finish it off with a dusting of MAC's blot powder. Even with this combination, within about three hours, I would have to break out the blotting sheets and dust another layer of blot powder on. But holy cow, the Prep + Prime finish powder is all i need now! I don't even use a primer anymore! I just moisturize, apply foundation, dust some of this magical stuff on top and voila! I am oil free ALL DAY LONG! While I do admit, I get a little shiny on my forehead and nose about 5 or 6 hours later, but my skin is still not "oily" to the touch. Not only is it amazing at controlling my oil, but it also helps to even out the appearance of my skin. With this, I can even wear just a tinted moisturizer and then Prep+Prime on top and my complexion looks nice and even! This is one of my best makeup finds ever =)

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is the best setting powder I've used so far. But it still doesn't get 5 stars as it's not perfect for my needs, but still closer than anything else I've tried!

Pros:
*Easy to blend
*Finely milled
*Doesn't cake!
*Doesn't make me look older like other powders
*Blurs large pores
*You get a lot of product
*Wears well and can be layered (when the oil comes through on my face it doesn't look bad after or ruin the rest of my makeup)

Cons:
*Looks horrid in flash photos
*Expensive (well *I* think it is)
*Bad packaging (you have to tape the holes!)
*Not travel friendly at all
*Can be messy (and I'm afraid to inhale it!)
*Is.Not.Invisible! (I'm a MAC NC 35-40 and I can see a white cast even after blending a lot but it goes away when the oil in my face comes through)
*Doesn't control my oily face all day (even with primer underneath)
*I have to apply twice the amount (previously I was only using a dab all over my face and I got shiny 2 hours later - I figured out I have to use much more than I thought to get it to last for around 6 hours)

Even with those cons, I will still use it up and will most likely repurchase as I haven't seen anything better (and cheaper) in the drug store. Maybe I'll try UD's Mattifying Powder or get this but the pressed compact version instead.
If my review helped you, click yes below!

on 4/28/2010 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Since January my skin has made a total change. I don't break out so easy any more. I only have had a few breakouts and no bad cystic acne. First I thought that it is the (extreme) cold weather, so I try to enjoy so long it last. Now it is spring and my skin is still ok. Hoping that it continues....
So now this is all I use on weekends and days off. For work I start with youngblood ricepowder in medium ( a yellow powder to tone down redness) and I dust this over.That is all I use and need to use. On problemareas I only use Colorstay as an concealer.
The powder by it self is transparent but it has that softfocus effect on your face so it helps to blur out redness- dark spots etc.... Everything looks more even after this,. In a strange way it does cover up something. It also makes my pores look smaller.
The oil and shine control is the same as with most powders, works for a few hours and then I have to blot.
I like this alot, and I havn't had any problems with breakouts or clogged pores.
Is this better than other loose (transparent) powders? Hard to say, but I like the fact that it is transparent, so when my face gets oily this doesn't oxidize and change color as many other powders that I use.

on 5/2/2009 2:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

***HG FINISHING POWDER***
I looooove it! All you need is a little swish across the entire face after you're done with your regular makeup application. The fine powder sets everything in place. I typically get shiny on my nose when I arrive to work, but this has saved me from blotting and reapplying powder throughout the day. Bye Bye mineral veil. I've found love.

on 6/7/2011 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I was heartbroken because my favourite powder (the Blot loose) has become harder and harder to find (disc'd?).
I was going to repurchase MUFE HD silica powder, but on a whim I decided to try this P&P from MAC, in hopes it would come close to Blot...and I'm glad I did!
It looks totally translucent on me, melts in my skin and gives a great finish to my foundations. It seems to blur imperfections, and to keep me matte longer than I'd be otherwise.
I have nothing bad to say about this product, price is reasonable (wish the container was bigger like the loose Blot!), and it delivers.
I think it is better than MUFE HD in terms of oil control.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I purchased this product to take on a trip to Florida and I have to admit that it is worth the money although pricey for the size. Word of advice tape the holes. It comes that way but once you pull back the adhesive paper it will still spill out. I took scotch tape and left only three holes open so there is not much loss at all when you open the cover. I know some people complained of acne due to cornstarch but so far so good. This stuff is magic and takes away all of the shine but be careful, too much will give you a dull ghost like hue and when I put it on I use a buffer brush to smooth it out. Wonderful stuff!

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

A SA recommended this when I told her my fdnt (Studio Fix) did not blend into my skin. She suggested I give this a try. Imagine my surprise when I, NW45-50, applied a white/white powder on my face. I couldn't see how it was going to blend in and not appear WHITE.

LOVE IT! I use it as a primer before I apply fdnt to give me the poreless matte look that I love (I'm well over 40). It helps with the oil but I still have to blot a couple of times daily (usually mid-day).

I apply w/a big fluffy brush (did not buy the brush the SA tried to sell) I bought the powder delux brush Sally's which I love. continued >>

on 4/24/2009 8:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

LOVE THIS!! It's transparent so it works on any skin tone, and over any foundation color. It basically uses light diffusers to blur out the skin giving a smooth, flawless, line free appearance.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I love this powder. Buffed on with the appropriate brush and used in conjunction with my Prep+Prime Skin with SPF 50, it made my skin appear flawless and instantly smooth. It didn't exactly last all day, but it did last a good 6 hours before I needed to reapply. That didn't bother me at all because, even after the second application, I didn't look chalky or cakey like I had expected.

The product is a bit on the expensive side, but seeing that very little is needed per application, this jar will take you a long way. I will definitely purchase again.

EDIT: This is LE but the SA told me that there is a powder available at the pro store that is basically the same so I'm not absolutely dying to stock up on this.

**EDIT #2** This is no longer LE! YAYYYY!