e.l.f. Cosmetics Studio Powder Brush

Price: $

Price: $

synthetic, cruelty-free hair

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

This is my favorite face brush of all time. You can use it for anything! It doesn't shed at all and it makes application flawless. I normally use it for liquid foundations & I think I'm going to end up purchasing another one of these to use with powder!

on 3/30/2018 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Amazing brush for the price! I would definitely repurchase if I lost this little one.

on 3/23/2018 7:21:00 PM

I'm not usually a fan of using brushes to apply foundation, but after reading the reviews here I thought I'd buy this brush and give it a try. My foundation went on amazingly, and the brush soaked up none of it. I don't know why they call it a powder brush, I tried it with powder and blush and it's much better as a foundation brush. I'll probably buy more from this set if they're as good as this one.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

It is quite a dense brush. However, the bristles are very hard. The hairs hardly bend when touching my face, and the tips poke into your foundation. Personally, that makes my skin look textured rather than smooth. I don't know if that's how it works for other people, because it seems to be a very well liked brush by many, but that's how it works for me. It does seem durable and it does pack on A LOT of product, but I don't really like this brush a whole lot (don't hate it either). I won't continue using it.

on 8/7/2017 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

Perfect basic brush. Ive never had an issues with it.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This brush gets a lot of love. Even my teenage daughter loves hers. I've just never felt it, though.

I have owned this brush for years and rarely used it. The bristles are a bit scratchy, the head spreads out and gets quite wide and less dense, it does a decent job on liquid foundations but they pool so badly in my pores that I rarely use them. Then the foundation goes mid-way into the brush and you have to work to clean it out.

So, I've only used it around 10 times maybe.

It recently broke - the glue between the handle and brush head/ferrule just got dry and gave up, I suppose. Since this brush is old, I don't blame it.

Still, I didn't want to go through the nuisance of regluing it and washing it (is recently tried it on a new foundation - this wasn't the winning brush). So, I tossed it. Game over.

I much prefer my ELF kabuki brush for powder foundation (awesome - highly recommend) and complexion brush (soft and fluffy for loose powder).

This is a very popular drugstore makeup brush, that I've heard people recommend time and time again. It's common knowledge that there are a lot of duds in the drugstore as far as makeup brushes go and I can admit that the e.l.f studio line is exceptional for the price point.

I've had this for several years - not with extremely frequent use though - and it's held up quite well. The bristles are still soft, dense and tightly packed, and the handle has only slightly loosened up, as is expected, nothing that makes it unusable though (besides if it detaches at some point it's not difficult to glue it back together). One maybe small gripe, is that when you wash it you can see some black-ish dye coming off from the bristles, so for someone who uses this on the daily and consequently washes it very frequently it could be a bit of an annoyance.

My personal problem with this makeup brush is that I don't get much use out of it because of the shape. I know many people like to use it for foundation application and although I've tried that in the past semi-successfully, I find it a bit too big and like it soaks up my foundation. Maybe it's better suited for people who enjoy thicker, more high coverage foundations but for someone like me who rarely goes down the heavy coverage route, it's a bit redundant in my collection.

I've also tried using it for powder but again, the flat top doesn't really allow to get that light layer on that I want. But if you prefer packing on the powder, this could be great.

So overall, it's a well-made brush that I think serves people who prefer high-coverage better. If you like more liquid and natural finish bases like I do, it tends to soak them up. I also think that a more rounded or tapered shape would help more for those who like a simple dusting of powder and not to completely mattify their face.

on 6/17/2017 8:10:00 AM

I use this primary to apply foundation. It works beautifully for cream, stick, and liquid foundations. I rotate through different foundations, but this brush works to blend them all. It makes application so fast!

Here are my quick application techniques:

For cream foundation, I dip the brush directly into the pan and apply and blend as I go. This is the fastest!

For stick foundation, I draw stripes on my face, neck, and decolletage to apply the makeup directly from the stick to my skin. Then I use this brush in light circular motions and short swipes to distribute and blend all of it.

For liquid foundation, I take an ample amount on my left middle finger then evenly distribute that to my index, middle and ring fingers of both hands. Then I use all six fingers simultaneously to dot the makeup all over my face. I personally start around my nose because I want more coverage there. Whatever excess remains on fingertips, I just wipe on my neck and decolletage. Then I use this brush in light circular motions and short swipes to distribute and blend all of it.

Super easy and fast. I wish this brush came in a short handle travel size.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I use this to apply powder foundation, and also use this to apply powder (with the stipple method) The bristles are densely packed and will really pack on the powder, so be sure to knock extra powder off the brush.

edit: I will be getting rid of this brush soon. I used this for over a year, and just got in the habit of using it. Really, there are other brushes that apply powder foundation and setting powder much better. The bristles are not as soft as other brushes.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

This is an incredibly good brush, IMO, and not just for its price point. It is densely packed, the bristles are undeniably soft, and it applies product effortlessly. It is made of synthetic bristles, so one could use it with powder, cream, and liquid cosmetic products. I have only used mine with powder products, and this brush applied them like a dream!

Popular Makeup Brushes