Filtered by eye Color : Green

on 10/8/2017 2:08:00 AM

This stuff has been a godsend for the hormonal acne that has erupted on my jaw and cheeks since I stopped taking the pill about a month ago.

Before turning to Hibiclens, I had tried benzoyl peroxide, AHAs, BHAs, drying lotion, oil cleansing, and hydrocolloid bandages. While none of these methods were completely useless, they were no match against the painful, cystic acne that I didn't even have when I was a teenager. It was red, full of pus, and made it painful to move my face.

Enter Hibiclens, which I randomly read about on reddit. You can buy it from Amazon on the cheap. Mine is the original red-coloured formula and it actually has pump for easier dispensing. The stuff I have dispenses as a foam.

Today was the fourth day in a row that I used Hibiclens. There are still cysts on my jaw and cheeks but I would say that 60-70% of them have cleared. Most are no longer swollen; they're now all quite flat and much less red than they were before. A week ago, I had about 20 blind/cystic pimples. Right now, about 5 of them are still visibly inflamed and slightly painful when touched. That's a huge improvement to me for sure.

I want to mention that I am EXTREMELY careful about applying this to my face. I'm terrified about its potential to cause perforated eardrums and blindness if it were to get in my ears or eyes, so I'm really deliberate about my application.

First, I cleanse with my normal cleanser. Then, I use a cotton round to apply Hibiclens to my jaw and cheeks. I leave the solution on my skin for a few minutes (5-10) before carefully removing it with a wet face cloth.

I've read comments saying that you're not supposed to apply anything over top of it (like, for example, some people say you're not supposed to wash with Hibiclens and then apply a moisturizer) as apparently this neutralizes the solution and thus renders treatment ineffective. But I don't know how true that is because personally, I've layered on things like moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup once I've let my face dry. So, after I've done my Hibiclens wash, I wait about 20 minutes before applying moisturizer, sunscreen, and makeup and this has worked out just fine. I just don't like the idea of leaving my skin to shrivel up after doing such a drastic cleanse.

Considering that Hibiclens is probably doing some damage to my moisture barrier, I wouldn't recommend using this unless you're truly desperate. But for me, I couldn't even get 10% Benzoyl Peroxide to make a visible difference on my cystic acne, so I felt a more extreme measure was warranted. I'd rather baby my dry, vulnerable skin and be extra gentle with it for a long time going forward than feel as if I can't leave the house due to ugly, painful acne that's impossible to cover up with makeup.

So if you feel like you've tried everything out there to cure your painful, unsightly, cystic acne, and yet nothing has worked for you, I'd say give Hibiclens a shot. Just...ask your doctor first because of all the associated warnings.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took a chance on this cleanser after reading the reviews here because at my last visit with the derm, she told me the only other option left to treat my adult acne is Accutane, and I really do not want to take this medication. I have run the whole gamut with topical and oral treatment options including spiro. If you have any inclination to try this product and you have suffered from acne with little to no resolution, you may want to consider this cleanser.

This is a medical grade cleanser used for surgical prep, so it kills bacteria, viruses and fungi. Whatever the cause of your acne, it is likely to address it, unless it is hormone based. It's not aesthetically pleasing at all. It doesn't come in a pretty container, there's no pump (unless you purchase one separately), and it's dyed red. It also does not lather like many cleansers. With continued use, it is drying to your skin, will leave it dehydrated, so you will need to find good products to replace and maintain a moisture barrier. If your moisture barrier is compromised, then your skin is more susceptible to invading organisms, which in turn, will just increase your chances of more breakouts. It will also irritate your skin and make it red or redder than normal if you have that issue (which I do), so again, using a good follow-up moisturizing/rehydrating regimen is important.

I have been using this cleanser for about a month. I cannot explain how excited I am about the results. After using oral and topical antibiotics, sulfur based cleanser and spot treatments, benzoyl peroxide both prescription and OTC, tons of different cleansers and treatment regimens, I finally found something that works. I use it both AM and PM daily, but every 3rd or 4th day I switch off to a normal facial cleanser just to give my skin a break. I cannot say I have had no breakouts since starting this product. But, my breakouts have been much less severe with comedones not as deep or large as usual - even the cystic acne is better - I've had only 2 cystic ones since starting it. It also clears up body acne. I use this on my back, upper chest and shoulders with the same great results.

I tested some products to replace the lost moisture in my skin. I will list them below.

Pros:
Clears both facial and body acne fairly quickly
Inexpensive compared to many anti-acne cleansers
Has other uses as mentioned by the poster below (good basic antibacterial for many things)
Cleanser comes in different sizes

Cons:
Compromises skin's moisture barrier
Very drying and somewhat irritating to sensitive skin when used daily (just redness and dryness so far)
Red dye may stain surfaces and clothing (but not your skin)

UPDATE 1 week later: Stopped using the PC Moisture Barrier Correction Moisturizer - too heavy and 2 cystic acne blemishes developed. No new ones and the two are resolving since I stopped it.

Hylamide SQ and Sensitve Skin Booster continue to work well, but they do not completely hydrate my skin. I used the Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Pack last night as directed. I put the Hylamide Sensitive Skin Booster over it - no other facial products. My skin was supple, firmer and more hydrated this morning. No negative reaction from it so far *knock on wood.

UPDATE: I have been using this cleanser for about 2.5 months now. I have also added the use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask (used it 2x a day for almost a week, then switched to once daily). This combo works very well. I have been able to reduce my use of this cleanser to only once a day. This has prevented my face from being so dehydrated, but kept the anti-acne effects going. Honestly, I anticipate being able to slow down using Hibilcens by the end of the month and just maintain with maybe 2x a week usage. The acne mask works that well.

I have been using the Ordinary 2% Retinoid with no problems, plus introduced the Ordinary's 30% AHA 2% BHA peel with no adverse reactions, overdehydrating, or sensitivity.

I have tested the following hydrators/moisturizers since the last update:

1) Avene Hydrance Optimale Serum - As a hydrator, I give this maybe 2 lippies. It has a heavy silicone feeling and does not hydrate well. It would be a good final product to seal in layered treatments though. Also works as a great makeup primer for oily skin - weird.

2) Nuxe Creme Fraiche de Beaute Masque - This is a wash-off hydrating mask that works very well. Directions state 10 min leave-on time, but I usually go for 20 with no negative results.

3) Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Mask - This is another winner. Recommend++

4) Using First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream for spot treatments on dry areas - works well

*At this strength, 4%, it is STRONG, medical grade, meant to begin killing on contact. You can easily dilute the soap which will not only reduce the risk of dry skin/compromised moisture barrier, but also reduce irritation.

*Avoid eye, vagina, inner ear contact (google product warnings)

*While your skin bacteria may develop resistance to Hibiclens, that can also happen with any antimicrobial product.

*There are many more natural antibacterial/acne products available that may be a better choice for many - including some oils and a balanced acne-prone skin care regimen - research to find what is best for your skin.

*I am now only using this on my body for bacne 2-3X a week. With continued use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask, a more balanced skin care regimen, getting my acne under control initially with this product, and stopping the layering of products, my facial skin is much better.

Try Differin OTC first.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've been battling what I thought was cystic acne lumps on my face for years now. I've always been prone to skin infections but I thought it was just my hormones or thyroid acting up. Tired of dealing with this crap on my face, I sought out a holistic doctor who finally correctly diagnosed me with a chronic staph (not MRSA thank god). My nose was colonized, likely from spending a lot of time in hospitals with my mom who had battled cancer for 4 years.

My doctor told me to use this on my face twice daily plus on my body to decolonize myself. the soap itself controls infection for about 6 hours. I have to say, it's been a lifesaver for me, my skin, my confidence. I'm supposed to continue using this for 6 months to a year to prevent recolonization which is common among those who get staph infection very easily. I went on amazon and bought a huge jug of this for less than $20 that I can reuse to fill up smaller bottles. Walgreens and CVS both sell a version without dye if you have problems with dyes.

If you have adult cystic acne that wont clear up using traditional acne medications or seems resistant to antibiotics, get your nose and lesions swabbed and cultured for staph. Everyone has it on their skin but immune diseases (I have Hashimoto's) make you much more susceptible to infections. I use this soap in conjunction with providone iodine as a mask on my face and my skin looks amazing, I feel good about myself and now I know my mystery is solved so if I have another infection, I know what to look for. I think I will continue using this cleanser for a long time. It doesn't dry my skin out and is now my first line of defense against getting another infection.

Ladies, stop stripping your skin of much needed oils and protection it needs. I see so many women overusing exfoliants and then complaining about acne. It a vicious cycle. If you already have a staph infected acne lesion scrubbing your face and Salicylic/AHA acids will actually make it spread and get worse. It definitely did in my case.

My Holistic doctor prescribed this regimen for me:

Wash twice a day with hibiclens
Provodine iodine as a mask, must leave on until its completely dry (It dries out lesions and prevents infections from spreading from other parts of the face. Iodine kills every pathogen known to man and even MRSA is not resistant to it.
I wash off the iodine with a Gentle non drying cleanser, I do not scrub use anything with beads, granules etc, no sulfates.
Apply diluted mix of Lavender oil, tea Tree oil, Calendula oil mixed with a carrier oil. I use Hemp seed oil/argan oil mix or if I feel really dry I use Jojoba oil.

At night and in the winter I use a barrier cream to protect my face.

I've eradicated pretty much all infections and acne on my face. I keep my skin moisturized at all times. I use nivea cream or in the warm months I use Alba Green tea and aloe moisturizer.

I was told to never exfoliate with harsh scrubs again or I could get it to come back .when you exfoliate you open up your skin to infection. Instead I use hemp oil and put it on my face and then using a hot soft cloth I steam and most of the dead skin comes off without ever scrubbing a thing. I know its hard to get out of the exfoliation habit as its pushed on us beauty queens but I think its done far more damaged to my skin then helped. Im just happy I found Hibilclens and I believe I may be using this forever now!!

hibiclens is used in hospitals for a reason and for many medical professionals it is the first line of defense against infections spreading in clinical settings. I also understand it's a cure for bacterial vaginosis according to websites and I've used it safely as a feminine wash during that TOM when you have that not so fresh feeling. Now that Im decolonized finally, I am still using this on my body once a week for prevention.

on 5/7/2012 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

been using the product for about a month to trat skin infections and it if great .

on 12/13/2010 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Walgreens is now making a version of this that is $3-4 cheaper, has the same percentage of active ingredient, and DOES NOT INCLUDE RED DYE, which has been a problem for those of us who are sensitive to it. I bought Hibiclens to deal with a mild bout of folliculitis (caused by staph bacteria) on my legs. It wiped the infection out within a day, and I will always be keeping a bottle of this around to prevent any further infections. I could not use the original Hibiclens for my acne because the red dye broke me out horribly, so I'm really excited about the Walgreens version. I'm going to try this for my body acne for a couple of weeks and will update if I see any problems or improvements. As far as I can tell from the Acne Detective list, it does not have any known comedogenic ingredients (http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm) . The Walgreens version also foams up a bit more than the brand version, which is nice.

on 12/4/2008 5:53:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I have been struggling with cystic acne in my chin/neck area (hormonal, I think) for a couple of years now and have tried just about everything to treat it. I have been using Hibiclens for about two weeks now and I must say that my acne is FINALLY begining to clear up, and I've noticed that very little new acne forming !!! The product is a bit tough to work with because it is watery, so I've found that using a facial sponge, or Buff Puff, is the best way to get a good lather. The secret is to let it sit for atleast a few minutes before rinsing off (I have left it on for as long as an hour). You do have to be careful not to get the product in your eyes, mouth & ears, as the warnings on the bottle will state. A great thing about this product is that it is clearing my acne, but not drying out my skin- even in the cold, dry weather. I have high hopes for this product and will give another update after using it a bit longer.

Upate: I have been using this product for almost a month now and my cystic acne has cleared up tremendously. I also recommended this to my sister, who suffers from acne on her back, who also has had great results (better then she has ever seen). My skin is actually smoother and my foundation goes on great (as mentioned before, this product has not dried out my skin, leaves if very soft). I did find that in my case, I need to use this product religiously. I became lazy and did not use for a couple of days in a row and developed a large acne bump on my chin. I resumed useage and my face is cleared up once again! Anyone who suffers from acne needs to give this a try- well worth the under $12 investment !!!!!

OMG this stuff is AMAZING at helping clear up my acne!! I hated using BP because its so drying and I read that it is actually a pro-oxidant which attracts free radicals that cause damage to the skin. So, I was looking for an alternative after making a mess of my skin trying the Oil Cleansing Method (which does not work for everyone!). I have gotten pretty good results with salisyclic acid treatments over the years but it wasn't working as well this time around. So, after reading up on it, I picked up some Hibiclens from my drugstore for $5 (its in a blue bottle usually near the bandaids) and it has literally changed my skin. It healed some lingering cysts, it has decreased my blackheads and I haven't had a white head since I started using this. The cons....DO NOT GET IT IN YOUR EYES or EARS. Its a pink thin liquid so you have to be careful. I use a buff puff single, put hibiclens on it, scrub my face---then using my fingers, I massage it into my skin for 2 minutes to give it time to kill the bacteria. Then I rinse and rinse. I also use a suncreen with spf 30 during the day and a good moisturizer at night. My skin is soft, not dry at all and so darn clear I just might go out in public without make up on!! I wish I'd known about this sooner. I guess better late than never--just for reference, I'm 36 with fair pale combination skin that is prone to acne. I know what a struggle it is to deal with acne, so I hope this helps if you're having issues with it, like I was.
EDIT: I have found that even if you don't want to use this as a face wash, it is still perfect for SPOT TREATMENT. It will get rid of a cystic acne spot almost overnight. I used to treat these spots with BP and it would typically take 2-3 or 4 days for it to go away and would always leave my skin very dry. Now, I just dab a bit of this on and by morning its usually on its way to being GONE...without the dry flaky skin that I was used to dealing with from BP. So, however you choose to use it, it is sooooo worth having in your medicine cabinet!