4.7

on 5/29/2017 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a medical grade cleanser. My sister, a nurse practitioner told me about Hibiclens when I developed MRSA (scary stuff). Whenever I or my family has a cut, abrasion or infection, Hibiclens is my go-to cleanser.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I took a chance on this cleanser after reading the reviews here because at my last visit with the derm, she told me the only other option left to treat my adult acne is Accutane, and I really do not want to take this medication. I have run the whole gamut with topical and oral treatment options including spiro, which did not work for me for reasons other than the acne clearing - it actually works very well for that. If you have any inclination to try this product and you have suffered from acne with little to no resolution, please try this cleanser.

This is a medical grade cleanser used for surgical prep, so it kills bacteria, viruses and fungus. Whatever the cause of your acne, it is likely to address it, unless it is hormone based, but even with that, I have seen a difference in my skin. But, it's not aesthetically pleasing at all. It doesn't come in a pretty container, there's no pump (unless you purchase one separately), and it's dyed red, so it will stain countertops and shower surfaces if you leave it too long as well as clothing. It doesn't stain on instant contact (except maybe clothing), but you should wipe it up as soon as you can to prevent the staining. It also does not lather like many cleansers. With continued use, it is drying to your skin, will leave it dehydrated, so you will need to find good products to replace and maintain a moisture barrier. If your moisture barrier is compromised, then your skin is more susceptible to invading organisms, which in turn, will just increase your chances of more breakouts. It will also irritate your skin and make it red or redder than normal if you have that issue (which I do), so again, using a good follow-up moisturizing/rehydrating regimen is important.

I have been using this cleanser for about a month. I cannot explain how excited I am about the results. After using oral and topical antibiotics, sulfur based cleanser and spot treatments, benzoyl peroxide both prescription and OTC, tons of different cleansers and treatment regimens, I finally found something that works. I use it both AM and PM daily, but every 3rd or 4th day I switch off to a normal facial cleanser just to give my skin a break. I cannot say I have had no breakouts since starting this product. But, my breakouts have been much less severe with comedones not as deep or large as usual - even the cystic acne is better - I've had only 2 cystic ones since starting it. It also clears up body acne. I use this on my back, upper chest and shoulders with the same great results.

I am still testing products to replace the lost moisture in my skin and will update this review as I test them. So far, I liked the Paula's Choice Skin Barrier Repair Moisturizer. But, it's a little on the heavy side for my oily skin, so I keep experimenting. I have been using Sulwhasoo's Balancing Water and Emulsion with some success, though the emulsion for me is too heavy to wear under makeup, so I just use the water instead in the AM. I just got 2 products in the mail this week from Deciem. One is the Hylamide SQ Anti-Age Serum. It has worked well so far, better than the PC barrier repair, though it's more expensive, to keep my skin from looking and feeling so dry. The other product is the Hylamide Sensitive Booster. I don't know if these two products work synergistically - I assume they do - but they are making a big difference in the texture and feel of my face as well as decreasing the redness. I am going to start the Ordinary's 2% Retinoid later this week and will report back if it works ok with the cleanser or if the 2 are just too much at one time.

Pros:

Clears both facial and body acne fairly quickly
Inexpensive compared to many anti-acne cleansers
Has other uses as mentioned by the poster below (good basic antibacterial for many things)
Cleanser comes in different sizes

Cons:

Compromises skin's moisture barrier
Very drying and somewhat irritating to sensitive skin when used daily (just redness and dryness so far)
Red dye can stain surfaces and clothing (but not your skin)

UPDATE 1 week later: Stopped using the PC Moisture Barrier Correction Moisturizer - too heavy and 2 cystic acne blemishes developed. No new ones and the two are resolving since I stopped it.

Hylamide SQ and Sensitve Skin Booster continue to work well, but they do not completely hydrate my skin. I used the Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Pack last night as directed. I put the Hylamide Sensitive Skin Booster over it - no other facial products. My skin was supple, firmer and more hydrated this morning. No negative reaction from it so far *knock on wood.

UPDATE: I have been using this cleanser for about 2.5 months now. I have also added the use of the Neutrogena Light Therapy Acne Mask (used it 2x a day for almost a week, then switched to once daily). This combo works very well. I have been able to reduce my use of this cleanser to only once a day. This has prevented my face from being so dehydrated, but kept the anti-acne effects going. Honestly, I anticipate being able to slow down using Hibilcens by the end of the month and just maintain with maybe 2x a week usage. The acne mask works that well.

I have been using the Ordinary 2% Retinoid with no problems, plus introduced the Ordinary's 30% AHA 2% BHA peel with no adverse reactions, overdehydrating, or sensitivity.

I have tested the following hydrators/moisturizers since the last update:

1) Avene Hydrance Optimale Serum - As a hydrator, I give this maybe 2 lippies. It has a heavy silicone feeling and does not hydrate well. It would be a good final product to seal in layered treatments though. Also works as a great makeup primer for oily skin - weird.

2) Nuxe Creme Fraiche de Beaute Masque - This is a wash-off hydrating mask that works very well. Directions state 10 min leave-on time, but I usually go for 20 with no negative results.

3) Innisfree Wine Jelly Sleeping Mask - This is another winner. Recommend++

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

For some reason commercial antiperspirants and deodorants make me smell sour once I start sweating. I have tried everything and am constantly paranoid that I stink. The other day someone raved about hibiclens on cafe for underarm issues so of course I went right out and bought it. I use it in the shower and use a nickel sized amount. It is really liquidy so is easy to waste if you're not careful. I leave it on my underarms while I wash my face and then rinse well. Ever since I have been using this I don't get any funky smell. I have used a different deodorant everyday just to see how it reacts and I haven't had any issues. This stuff is wonderful and has helped me get some confidence back

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I bought 4% Chlorhexidine wash under different brand as this is not sold in Australia but also has the red dye in it. I used it right away since the 2/12/16. This really surprised me that it's the least drying cleanser I have ever tried. It leaves my skin soft and clean, not stripped yet I can't feel a film coating my face. It hasn't had effect on my clog pores as of yet. But even for 2x daily, it feels very gentle. Don't get it in your eyes or ears though! I will keep using this. I transferred it into a smaller bottle to make it easier to control the amount coming out. Hopefully it'll become my HG! I use tretinoin cream at night afterwards but nothing in the am as my skin doesn't feel dry

Update 13/1/17
This face wash and a facial buffer (I use from The Body Shop) is heaven!! Literally clear up my skin. I still use tretinoin 0.05% only 1-2 x a week. Since adding in the buffer, it has made a significant difference. HG combo! Thank you Makeupalley, I wouldn't have known if it weren't for you! This product is so underrated!!

Update 24/1/17
I have forgone tretinoin completely and any other chemical exfoliation as well as "purifying" mask. It surprisingly has kept my clog pores and acne under control. I use it 2x a day (or more depending on if I'm sweating heaps - it's summer here- or just feel "gross") with the body shop facial buffer. I used it with foreo luna mini before and the result was ok but the buffer is more effective in exfoliating. I used to think that I need a foaming cleanser that rinses super squeaky clean as I had terrible breakout using a cream cleanser (Neutrogena acne cream cleanser, I'm looking at you!). This one has proved me wrong, with the elimination of the harsh surfactant (SLS) and addition of bacteriacidal agent (Chlorhexidine). Now I'm not entirely sure which one that really resolved my problem. Maybe both as my acne could be caused by bacteria and the harsh surfactant did not help with protecting my skin barrier either. The physical exfoliation from the buffer also helped tremendously, more so than from silicone material exfoliation (foreo).
Ps. This also saved me from a GP who insisted me to take an oral minocycline for an indefinite period. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against antibiotic when absolutely necessary. Since this is acne rather than internal problem, I figured that applying topical anti-bacterial should be just effective on the targeted area (face) and less harmful. I don't want to risk upsetting the balance of gut bacteria with oral antibiotic and the resistance that comes with it.

on 9/28/2016 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have used, its work, but not so good.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This antimicrobial soap saved my skin! I struggled with stubborn chest acne for several years. I tried all the usual treatments and nothing worked. Thank God my dermatologist recommended Hibiclens. In two weeks it cleared my skin! I've been using it for about 4 years and can not live without it.

If you are struggling with stubborn acne PLEASE give this a try. Here's a more in-depth review:

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This stuff is amazing! I suffer from conditions which I don't care to discuss that necessitate me to shower w this after my bath&bodyworks or VS shower gel I use a travel sized spray bottle (shake it up) to mist this into a more frothy lathery foam. It does not easily lather; it is a runny thin liquid. The trade name product has a bright red dye. Rinse it all down the drain to avoid staining fiberglass shower stalls. Not sure how this would react to porcelain. Use caution it staining ur tub or tile or shower it could I'm just warning you. It will come out with bleach on linens. That is why it is why it is prudent to use white wash rags/towels. After I spray this all over in the shower, I let it sit a couple mins & then I rinse it all off. I was rec'd to shower w it by 2 physicians or if u want it more frothy u can mix half dial anti back liquid soap w this. Do not get it in ur ears--potentially causes deafness! & do not get it in ur eyes, nostrils, nor mouth neither althou they use this as an irrigation sanitizer in root canals at dentists offices so I guess it's not totally poisonous but they have the techs rinse it off (combo this & chlorine it smells like the pool from dear sweet Hades every time I've had my root canals.) You could use this as a small spot treatment but it is meant to be washed off. It is the exact same thing used in institutions as what surgeons scrub in now with instead of bedadine. Exercise extreme caution w this around your face or lovely lady parts/if you are a boy your junk; ...& the rear end. Sorry I don't meant TMI but you need to know this if you plan on showering w it. It is kept behind the pharmacy counter sometimes you have to ask for it althou it is non prescription (OTC). It is some serious stuff, don't play around w this stuff. It's common sense too type precautions but do a bit more research on it than a few MUA reviews b4 u try it. Consult w a health care professional is what I suggest. Don't be afraid of it but do use it judiciously & be diligently reverent about it not meant for casual use but soaking a hang nail in this a couple of times a day will keep the staph out of it sounds trivial but this is a really good use for it we all know how much we hate hangnails/paper cuts buy it just for those if only for nothing else! Every house should have this as a first aid agent. You know those hang nails & paper cuts can be wicked painful. I also healed my feet up from an overzealous pedicurist who scraped off too much callous kept me from getting a bad MRSA bout n my immune system is weak u can pick up all kinda things from salons I learned my lesson I coulda gone sepsis without Hibclens! I'm sworn off pedi manis at salons this really shook me up too it scared the mother load out of me badly! My feet are red & throbby but it never spread past my heels up my leg it's been a couple of weeks I heal very slowly but I can tell ya it may have turned out to be a serious infection w/o Hibclens. It does dry ur skin but to be expected. A large bottle is about $18. I pour it into a small spray trigger travel bottle I keep refilling. I keep the big bottle on the side of my sink & after I've been in public ESP church Christian Meetings shaking hands or shopping touching anything first thing I do when I come into the house is liberally lather my hands w hot water & Hibclens then I can prevent things like colds, flu, etc coming in contact w the public. I lather for a couple of mins then rinse n dry my hands w a paper towel. I didn't have any bad colds this past winter much. I didn't get gastroenteritis nor influenza. So that's something I'm very diligent I insist on washing up good w Hiblcens after being in contact w the general public. It's my OCD kicking in lol!!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I was diagnosed with impetigo a few days ago and have been prescribed antibiotics orally and systemically. I read about using and antibacterial soap to wash the area to wash away both strept and staph infections... I did not kow that this was sold at regular stores (I've only seen it at my job at the nursing home)..... I figured ibshiukd try it out for my infection and boyyy did I make the right choice..
My face improved and cleared big time with this cleanser... No irritation.. I mix this with water and washed my whole face 2-3 times a day.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For over 9 years I have been battling with atopic dermatitis in my scalp that continues to get infected with staph. I have been back and fourth to the dermatologist and my physician (A total waste of time). I've done countless hours of researching the Internet, trial and error, hundreds of dollars wasted, and sleepless nights (ever tried sleeping with fluid leaking from your scalp?) Nasty! Finally I ran across a site and someone suggested using hibiclense on the scalp. So yesterday I tried it (I know it says not to use on head), but this stuff is heaven sent. For the first night in months I could sleep peacefully. It has dried up all the runny sores in my head (eww) or should I say (yay). It's only been 1 full day and I am definitely happy with the results. If you suffer with atopic dermatitis or folliculitis give this stuff a try, you won't be disappointed.

on 11/24/2015 10:39:00 AM

Had the worst acne of my life after using clarasonic. It literally looked like my skin was burned off and every pore was clogged. I literally cleared it by using noxema bacteria clearing cleanser, this wonderful cleanser, and cure zone silver gel as my moisturizer. This literally made all my pimples disappear overnight. This will be my new regimen.