MAC Cosmetics #221Crease

MAC Cosmetics #221Crease

4.2

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Love this brush for detailed blending right in the socket. Have many of these in my kit.

Let me started that I have 3 #221, so for me it is a HG. Is it the softest, nope Wayne goss brush are way softer but it is the perfect shape for my small eyes, perfect density to pick up product and buff it and perfect stiffness. I was looking for the perfect replacement for my MAC 226 who was LE and 221 which is smaller but do a way better job in my humble opinion to do some crease work with powder eyeshadow.

on 12/8/2016 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The Mini Tapered Blending Brush is narrower in diameter than 217, and excellent for crease work especially on smaller eyes. The bristles are white goat hair, firm yet flexible, and soft enough for most skin. Some people with extremely sensitive skin reject goat hair in favor of silkier options such as blue squirrel, whereas others feel that the firmer texture of goat hair gives them more control when working quickly and it's better for doing a cut crease than bristles that yield too much. In my collection I have an eclectic mix of different brushes from various brands. Each brush serves at least one purpose. MAC 221 excels as a crease brush, making it easy to deepen color without hard edges. It can be used for concealer as well. I paid $18.75 during a MAC Select sale, but the retail price is $21.

Because the head is made of white, undyed hair, I use a clear brush cleaner such as Parian Spirit. (Cinema Secrets brush cleaner has a blue tint that can stain white bristles.)

PROS:

1) I haven’t had any shedding from this particular brush.
2) The domed head is slightly tapered (but not pointy).
3) Works well to blend shadows.
4) The price is not bad for a good quality eye brush. MAC brushes last ten years or more with proper care.
5) MAC brushes have a clean, no-nonsense design with black wooden handles and nickel ferrules.
6) The bristles are undyed. Generally speaking, undyed hair feels softer than dyed hair. Also, because my complexion is light (C3 in Studio Fix Powder Plus), a white stray brush hair is less obvious on my face than a black hair, in case the brush ever decides to shed.

CONS:

1) If you’re vegan, you might prefer synthetic brushes. Chantecaille has some good ones.

Summary:

Before I bought MAC 221, I already owned the very popular MAC 217 and I find 217 handy as a blending brush, for a wash of base color on the lid and final blending, but not the best thing for my crease. I like 221 much more for crease work, but 217 is better for quickly applying pale shadows to a large area.

If you are new to MAC’s selection of eye brushes, I’d recommend these three: 221, 217, and 239 (a short, flat paddle brush).

If you have extremely sensitive skin, you may prefer Trish McEvoy #29, however; it is more expensive ($36). Wayne Goss #4 is a less pricey but excellent crease brush which is more tapered and softer than 221. MAC 221 is firmer than his and more domed. Goss #4 costs $28, seven dollars more than MAC 221.

MAC 221 is a great gift for someone who needs a nice crease brush. It works extremely well and it’s reasonably priced. Would buy again, and might buy a backup of this brush.

on 7/28/2016 5:46:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I have relatively small and very deep set eyes and this is the only brush I can comfortably fit in my crease. It is very fluffy and soft and a real pleasure to use. Of course I would be happier if it was cheaper, but I am relying on MAC quality to last me a long time, with proper care of course.

on 1/11/2005 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Although I like this brush- I like Chanel's #12 much better..it has a bigger head and fluffier hairs

Popular Makeup Brushes