Estee Lauder Youth Dew

Estee Lauder Youth Dew

3.1

on 12/15/2015 1:16:00 PM

by far this is the most offensive noxious fragrance ever made. You know that strong overwhelming smell from the old lady in church with the dirty tissues tucked up her sleeve, she is no doubt wearing youth dew. THERE IS NOTHING YOUTHFUL ABOUT IT. It is so strong and headache gag worthy. I hate this fragrance so much I think it should be banned as poison. Chemical warfare in a bottle.

on 11/20/2015 12:06:00 AM

This once great fragrance is now a shadow of its former self - sold in discount chemist stores for 30 bucks or less, reformulated, watered down and tamed. In its heyday it was the quintessential smokey incense oriental. The good thing is that the bath oil still smells fantastic.

If you love this, just go for the bath oil instead and dab it on instead of perfume. The other great thing about the bath oil is the fact that you dab instead of spray. Youth Dew, even in its watered down state, is one of those fragrances that can clear a room and send people into coughing fits if used too heavily. Although Youth Dew has never been a fragrance that works well on my skin (cinnamon and I have a love-hate relationship), on the right person it smells fantastic.

If you love the fragrances listed below, you will probably love Youth Dew.

Opium
Obsession
Tabu
Bal a Versailles
Ciara

Please, please, please, go for the bath oil instead of the perfume. Yes, it costs more, yes you'll have to purchase it at a department store or online instead of the local chemist, but it's worth it. If you're unwilling to spend the money on the bath oil, then just skip Youth Dew altogether and buy Tabu instead.

To Read all 266 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

SamiDin hit the nail on the head with this one - I actually cringed because I was instantly time-machined to 1983 when I was 10 and my parents were still pretending it was 1973.

It is indeed extremely "Tweed"-ish. Blue eyeshadow and plucked-and-redrawn eyebrows behold, cigar smoke, Pernod-and-black(currant).

My Mum wore this for years and while I miss her terribly I do not miss the scent of Youth Dew (and it''s true that it's neither youthful or dew-ish). It's smokey, woody, spicy, and while the patchouli is meant to be in the foreground on me it just disappears which is a shame because I do love me some patchouli. I also found the citrus-y base notes went AWOL never to be seen again.

It also stays on your skin permanently forever and ever and ever and ever and ever. It's a perfume tattoo. Really!

I can understand why some will absolutely love it and it's hard for me to actually grade this since it's sooooo subjective. Then again, so is all fragrance, I suppose.

If you like Opium and the like, give this one a try.

(Opium was another scent that everyone and their dog bought and wore which is quite unfortunate since I knew very few people who could actually wear it successfully - with everybody else the fragrance ended up wearing them, and that's never good)

One more thing. If you do like it, please spare a thought for your friends and family (and specially co-workers); one spray. No more. One squirt. No more than one squirt. Please.

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

so I was by the Estee Lauder fragrance counter, decided to pick this Youth-Dew up and smell the bottle nozzle and it just called out to me. This is such an amazing scent.
I have never owned a bottle of this myself and have not smelt it on many people as far as I can remember. The few times that I have smelt this I had thought it was some wonderful incense close by and not actually a persons perfume.
It smells so warm and cozy and amazing, reminds me of the incense I've always been searching for.
I find comfort in the aroma which lasts for many hours on me and my clothing, I enjoy the whole trip but except for the very end, it needs washing off or applying again.
The reason I'm not put off scents some reviewers say are old-lady is that if I like a fragrance on me then that's all that counts. Youth Dew is gorgeous. I can't get enough of this scent.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Someday (if you're lucky) you will be an old lady too! So bah on these age shaming comments making senior citizens sound as if their olfactory senses have departed them with dementia onset. That is disrespectful to humanity & the dignity of both senior citizens & the charming escapades of Mrs. Lauder & her signature scent. Mrs. Lauder sounded like a classy lady. I think I would have liked her. I love YD, I think it's classy, if you have to demean it (fecal, elephant pen, funerals, making fun of people), check your taste at the door. I've always been fascinated w things of a bygone era. I wouldn't expect some folks to understand the classic boozy cola incense patchouli unique scent of YD. but no need to insult a great fragrance! Juicy & Bath&bodyworks isn't in the cards for us all, dahhhhling!!!! The bath oil & deodorant together are optimal but I got this in perfume form & couldn't stop smelling it!! Not for everyone. And men love it unless men call other men by "bruh" instead of their proper names.

on 7/26/2015 1:09:00 PM

The name Youth Dew is an interesting choice, as there is nothing youthful or dewy about this fragrance. I finally got around to testing this in Boots, I sprayed a good amount on my wrist, and what can i say? It smells almost exactly like Tweed by Lentheric, a seventies/early eighties favourite. I can remember going to family parties in the 70's, and there were always four things there, pineapple & cheese on cocktail sticks, black forest gateau slowly thawing, Pernod and black, and the scent of Tweed thick in the air (generally mixing with clouds of cigarette smoke).

It's a heavy, dated fragrance, and truthfully I can't imagine it smelling good on anyone. Maybe it does though, who knows? It's not for me.

on 6/10/2015 7:46:00 PM

Mixed emotions about Youth Dew. I should say first it DOES NOT work on me, in any way.

Not at all.

It smells like, for lack of a better word, "dirt." I mean that literal. It smells like "dirt" on me. What does not smell like, smells like dirty, baby diapers. :(

Just not compatible with my skin chemistry. I bought it from the Estee Lauder website, directly, so I know I received a real bottle of Youth Dew.

It's horrendously awful on me - and it stayed on for a full 24 hours, despite showering TWICE to get rid of the smell! I was prepared to thoroughly detest this perfume until something unmistakable and unbelievable happened:

My mother and sister stopped by to visit and I informed of them of my rather terrible, Youth Dew "ordeal." :) My mother asked to smell it and I still had the bottle, so I bought it out. She tried it on and my goodness, did it smell beautiful on her. Just heavenly. All woods and spices but so deep and complex that if it smelled like that on me, I would wear nothing else for life.

It was GORGEOUS and completed it's reputation of "masterpiece" on her. Then, my sister tried it and it worked the same on her. Beautiful.

So, I gave it 5 stars because if it works on your own skin chemistry, it is a great and full, beauty. But if not, it's a thing of *terrible.* LOL I, humbly, put forward that you try it on in a store and see how it works on you. I'd advise against buying it, online.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I can appreciate this fragrance for what it is - intense with that old-world glam charm. It is complex and beautiful, but just too heavy and doesn't suit my chemistry or personality. Very sophisticated and this will take the right woman to carry it off. It is luxury in a bottle and I wanted this to work for me - I adore the vintage bottle with the bow. Alas, my free spirited and casual ways finds it hard to pull this classic off.

on 4/7/2015 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

A lot of people mention this fragrance in the same sentence as Tabu.

I respect others' noses, but I'm not seein' that analogy.

Tabu is richer, deeper, more active, warmer, more vibrant, more involving. Youth Dew just sits there. It is more severe, less inviting, more earthy, less malleable. My college roommate in 1981, who was more outgoing than I was, wore Youth Dew very well. I didn't. It smelled like affectation on me - not natural at all. And I hate that fact, both because I bought a big old bottle of it because I was in a big Oriental fragrance phase, and because I am never, ever gonna wear this again, it being way more staid than I am - and I'm pretty restrained, really.

Earthy is fine, but this just smelled like dirt on me. Orientals are my favorite class of scent but there's nothing "Dew"-y about this.

I'm 52 years old so I guess I qualify as an "old lady" by some standards, and I don't care to label something with a pejorative that has no meaning - "old lady"? We're all gonna get there, if we're lucky - some of us more quickly than one might wish, and that's a straight fact, y'all, sorry - and I have nothing against Estee Lauder, "Sensuous" being one of my top-three favorite scents. But this fragrance comes closest to the "old lady" label of any I have ever smelled except for (wait for it!) Chanel No. 5. So I guess I gotta go there.

on 9/28/2014 10:28:00 PM

I have a small bottle of vintage bath oil. The smallest single dab of the oil creates a lush, warm, slightly amber herbal skin scent that is somehow also evocative of clean, soapy skin. Soapy but not powdery.

If you wear a single dab it's not musty, fecal, loud, or scary. It also does not register as a powerhouse oriental like vintage opium extrait or vintage Shalimar eau de cologne or parfum de toilette.

Although it is herbal, youth dew is far easier to wear than the EL traditional herbal floral chypres azuree, aliage. (Incidentally, I do not recommend spraying azuree or aliage either - the scent trail would knock you out and last through several intensive scrubbings). But, I dab almost everything and hate sillage of any kind.

In fact, in very tiny quantities, Youth Dew reminds me a bit of vintage vol de nuit extrait, which I also dab. It is more powdery, sharp and astringent than vintage vol de nuit. But, it is also much less expensive and easier to obtain.

I would never buy youth dew in a EdP atomizer format. I cannot imagine spraying this ever.

Popular Fragrances