Serge Lutens Serge Noire

No Image

3.9

The listed notes for this fragrance are not in a traditional pyramidal structure. The listed notes are Patchouli, Cinnamon, Amber, Woodsy Notes, Incense, Clove, Spices, and Ebony Wood.

I was gifted a sample of Serge Noire, and I like it. I am surprised there are not more positive reviews of it. This is definitely a warm and spicy scent. I smell cumin, cloves, and incense mostly. There are other spices--I cannot delineate cinnamon from the lot-- but I do not have a highly tutored sense of smell, either. It is not sweet smelling to me. It has very little projection. It is a skin scent on me. Longevity is not very good. I expect it would wear longer on clothing than on skin. I find it enjoyable for myself to wear on the right day/night, but I do not imagine wearing it for others, and I would not say that it is sexy in any way. It is not especially feminine in the way some orientals such as Samsara are "feminine." It is definitely unisex, or more precisely non-sex. I would label it "neuter."

Fragrance: 5/10

Projection: 3/10

Sillage: 3/10

Longevity: 3/10

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

June, almost midsummer, but it's pouring down. wet and cold outside.
But inside, wearing Serge Noire, I am warm and very happy in my skin.

Serge Noire seems to be hugely a matter of skin chemistry. On me, it starts a bit austere for the first couple of minutes and then turns into Christmas at the fireside. For hours and hours on end it wraps me up into a cashmere blanket of cloves and cinnamon, woods and an absolutely divine incense. After a few hours it gets creamier and warmer still, but not sweet. Sandalwood and Vanilla? I can understand the phoenix metaphor. There is a lot of development in this, it changes and changes.
What I can't understand at all ist the BO some reviewers seem to get. No, no BO at all. Must be a matter of skin chemistry. It loves or hates you. I am grateful that it loves me and I love, love, love it back.
Sparkling, comforting, reflective and very sexy at the same time.
Whenever I smell this on a man, I could lick it off his skin.

Definitely a vintage feeling, and very unisex.

Like many others have said before me,this may be the very best Lutens (and I own many of them). I don't want to be without it ever and keep a backup bottle in my closet at all times in case I run out.

on 5/14/2013 1:07:00 PM

Serge Noire- you love it or you hate it .Or... your skin loves it or your skin hates it.
For me -Serge Noire ,like its name is a somber scent , dramatic and atmospheric.
Mostly Serge Noire is a deep velvet grey silk in my mind's eye - like Thai silk . The cinnamon comes forth most on my skin ,then incense and I love that. No cumin !
Inhaling Serge Noire really is almost refreshing to me because of the cinnamon - . A thinker's scent.
So we have a scent that though is somber and serious , it is mind clearing and meditative. Unisex. Love it.

on 10/14/2011 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I stole this from my bf - it's wonderful on him but smells better on me after a family consensus. Hot, sweet, smoky and pungent. This fragrance teases with a delicious, syrupy cinnamon—mixed with deadly hot pepper! It offers a deep woodiness—but the wood is burned! The dual nature of this fragrance is fun. It’s not for everyday wear because it makes a bold statement. People who love incense, especially the smoke-producing kind, will find this most attractive. As time goes by, it does become more conventional

SN feels to me just like an addition to the Bois family. Bois des Epices or Bois d' Incense for that matter. I did a side by side of SN and Feminite du Bois and the similarities are amazing. It is like playing the same melody with different instruments.

I ordered a sample of this...As with all Serge Lutens scents, a major output of funds is necessary. I'd tried Chergui before, but was unimpressed. When I first got this sample, on first sniff, I was totally unimpressed, so it went in the stash box for about 6 months, Recently, I pulled it out for something new. I'm not sure if it was just me, the perfume aging, or me not giving it a fair chance by not putting it on, but this time out I was smitten. The initial scent isn't impressive, but the long drydown is awesome. This isn't for someone who doesn't like spices and incense...if you are the flowery type, stay away. This is deep, spicy, a bit musky and slighty exotic, without being heavy in any way. Some complain of the cumin spice, but it's one of those things that either works for you or not, I love it. It's a nice oriental which packs a punch without yelling, Try it, but give it time to grow,

Notes: patchouli, camphry note, cinnamon, spicies, woody notes and amber.

This fragrance opens with a blast of cinnamon and clove, reminding me very much of potpourri. Underneath these two strong spices I smell a whiff of warm cumin whose sweaty quality is well hidden by the other spices. This intoxicating accord burns off rather fast leaving me with an ethereal accord of incense and remnants of spice. The idea of ashes is very apt; the accord is transparent and grey-ish, almost too transparent on my skin. I have a hard time making out the accord which I know is there. It is like smelling the progression of a fire: burning potpourri, embers and then cold ash. Lasts for roughly six hours on my skin.

to my nose and on my skin it's rousse .
a bit less sweet.
a tiny bit darker.
but definitely rousse.
like them both -- but this wins over that.

on 4/20/2010 8:41:00 AM

this is about incense and sandalwood, clove and cinnamon, i cann't stop wear it since i bought 15 days ago.

on 12/1/2009 3:12:00 AM

I sampled this on 2 different occasions and did not care for it either time. The second time I tested it was just a few days ago and I noticed a very strong and offputting note in the beginning. I couldn't pinpoint what it reminded me of. Then it hit me-ketchup! It smells like a mixture of ketchup and some odd, spicy BO! Once the ketchup and BO accord dries down, the scent is nicer. The drydown is a nondescript incense. I love many of Serge Lutens' fragrances, but this one was a miss for me, I'm sorry to report.

on 11/12/2009 7:13:00 PM

This is a great rather cold camphor-y incense scent. Great sillage & lasting power. If I didn't have a fragrance that is extremely similar to it, it would be FBW for me but IMO it smells very very close to BPAL's Nephilim. Notes of Serge Noire: patchouli, cinnamon, amber and black woods. Notes of BPAL Nephilim: Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress. So not exactly the same but close enough.