3.5

package quality

price range

Reviews

5 years ago

Years ago, I went through a phase of loving heliotrope, almond. Wore this daily for a year. Then one day decided it was head ache inducingly sweet, one dimensional, powdery and had become somewhat plastic. Maybe that is the play dough note that some reviewers smell. Perhaps if I had exhibited more moderation, it would still be in my collection. Now, when I want to revisit this type of scent, (the closest I have currently) I reach for LHB or eau d'hiver. I also prefer Caron Farnesiana.

About reviewer (517 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinCombination, Olive, Warm

HairBrunette, Straight, Medium

1.0

6 years ago

Oh dear. You see, I thought I might like this because I love the way our real heliotrope flowers smell in our windowboxes. They're pleasantly candy-scented and sweet, and they smell delicious. But this perfume...it really didn't work for me. Luckily it was a sample vial; Etro perfume does not come cheap. Even the 1 mL sample was $4 CDN! But I'll tell you this: it was $4 well spent to find out I really, really don't want to spend $150 on a full bottle. Sniffed from the bottle: Uh oh. Cheap baby powder. Wet on skin: Mindful of the possibility for disaster, I applied a small amount with the cap wand from the vial. Still baby powder but now turned up to eleven. Yikes. After 15 minutes: This is never going to come off without a good scrubbing, is it? Well, I gave it up after 15 minutes of horrible baby powder miasma--never did get cherries or almonds or play-doh; those might all have been preferable. I had to scrub this sucker off AND use rubbing alcohol twice, and I swear I could still smell it faintly after all that. I can't imagine wanting to smell like this on purpose.

About reviewer (79 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairBlack

8 years ago

Etro Heliotrope is one of my ultimate comfort scents. To me, it is the olfactory equivalent of my favorite blanket and a bowl of pumpkin soup. Fortunately, it doesn’t smell like the pumpkin soup, but it is still soothing and as warm as my blanket. It’s the kind of fragrance I find myself craving when it is cold and grey outside, or when I feel mentally and physically exhausted. It just relaxes me and puts me into sleeping mode. As the name already says, it is a heliotrope scent, and this note is notorious for its “play-doh” vibe. If this is why you avoid heliotrope, you will probably dislike Etro Heliotrope. Personally, I think that heliotrope smells like almonds and cherries, plus I don’t think play-doh has an unpleasant smell, anyway. Etro Heliotrope notes include: orange blossom, almond, petit grain, bergamot, iris, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, rose, tolu balsam, tonka bean, musk, vanilla and peru balsam. It is definitely sweet, as one can imagine with this list of notes, but I wouldn’t jump and call it an “edible” gourmand. Even though it smells very foody in the beginning, you would better wait for the drydown before you judge it. In the first minutes upon application, it is boozy and very sweet, with the almonds and the vanilla dominating the scene. At this point, it looks like the sweetness will keep on gaining momentum until it becomes unbearable, but fortunately (at least for me), this is not what happens here. As it starts to dry down, it gets noticeable that most of its sweetness really comes from the heliotrope which, despite its sweet scent, is still a flower. The almond gets tamer, as if there is some sort of marzipan filled pastry being baked somewhere nearby. Among all the gourmand notes here, the vanilla is the last to recede, being gradually replaced by the heliotrope powderiness. In the late drydown, it smells like a cool vanilla, with very subtle powdery undertones. I don’t detect any other floral, except for the heliotrope, but there is something very non-distinctively floral in the background, I just can’t pinpoint what it is. The lasting power is very good for an Eau de Toilette and the projection is moderate. It may be a little cloying in higher temperatures, but it is a great cold weather unisex scent.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

3.0

8 years ago

Lovely, soft fragrance that smells of sweet dough and making cookies, and also a little bit like a Cabbage Patch Kid. I like this, but it fades so fast it is not a contestant for full-bottle worthy status.

About reviewer (170 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairRed, Other, Medium

9 years ago

It does smell like heliotrope, but it's unpleasant on my skin. Cherry almond mothballs :/ luckily it seems to be fading quickly.

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Cool

HairOther, Other, Fine

9 years ago

Notes: orange blossom, almond, petit grain and bergamot; orris, jasmine, heliotrope, ylang-ylang and rose; tolu balsam, tonka bean, musk, vanilla and peru balsam. This fragrance opens with a very bright floral note. Touches of vanilla and almond emphasise the sweetness of the floral – some see cookies, I see plasticine. No matter what, the fragrance transports its wearer back to their childhood for sure. The fragrance mellows considerably as the floral note burns off and leaves me with the subtle aroma of vanilla and almond. At first I linked this fragrance to Louve, but now it reminds me ore of Iris Absolute and its symphony of sweet, powdery floral notes. Powdery is indeed the best-suited adjective for the mid-development of this scent. The dry down is a soapy vanilla with a resinous touch to make it interesting. Lasts for six hours on my skin.

About reviewer (308 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Wavy, Medium

EyesBlue

3.0

9 years ago

Well after seeing all the raves about this one I thought I would try it. I'm not in the majority here, and in fact this smells nothing like almonds or cherry's on my skin, in fact I hate the way this smells, it actually smells like Toothpaste on my skin. Guess I saved myself a lot of $ with this one.

About reviewer (320 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

HairRed, Other, Other

EyesBlue

11 years ago

First spray is alcohol! But soon thereafter, it's almond with vanilla and cinnamon red-hots. Yummy! If "one-dimensional" means that a fragrance doesn't change during the wearing, then Etro Heliotrope is one-dimensional on me. Husband actually tolerated it. When asked to sniff, Mikey says, "It smells like icing!" (That is considered a compliment, coming from him.)

About reviewer (21 reviews)

SkinOther, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

12 years ago

This fragrance starts off as a soft cherry scent, not at all play doh on me. After an hour it has become sweeter and reminds me of baby powder scent mixed with almonds. Etro's Heliotrope smells very similar to the drydown of Rahat Lakhoum and so if you hoped for RL to be lighter then Heliotrope is your answer. I prefer it to RL as it is a subtle version of this and lasts very well. I'm finding that Etro's Heliotrope smells like the base for many fragrances (Kenzo Flower Le Parfum, Rahat Lakhoum, Hypnotic Poison etc) and therefore worth investing in! Update (24/09/08): This is a gorgeous fine skin scent with sillage - it blends with my skin chemistry so well and is one of my favourite heliotrope fragrances along with L'Artisan's Jour de Fete. Great lasting power for an edc.

About reviewer (247 reviews)

SkinNormal, Olive, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

12 years ago

This is my favorite fragrance in the powdery almond/heliotrope genre. It doesn't at any point become harsh or medicinal or worse, CHERRY, on me. The drydown is the most beautiful almond vanilla powder. It's also not too sweet, which was my main problem with Acqua di Parma's mandorlo di sicilia. Oh yes, and let's not forget that the opening smells like playdoh! Love the price--$46.50 on Amazon.

About reviewer (96 reviews)

Age25-29