Arrowroot Powder (Maranta Arundinacea)

Arrowroot Powder (Maranta Arundinacea)

4.5

on 2/9/2017 12:56:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I bought this from the baking aisle in my local supermarket, where it's sold for making sauces and clear glazes for fruit tarts etc. That was pretty cheap, but I imagine a big bag from a cash and carry would be even cheaper. The 80g tub I have bought will last forever though! I find it excellent as a very light and invisible powder after foundation, blusher and under-eye/round nose concealer. I use a fluffy brush to dust it on very lightly, and a smaller stiffer but still soft brush to whisk any visible powder away, to make sure it doesn't get into lines under the eyes. I am 64, with quite sensitive dry skin and find it suits me well.

HOLY GRAIL STATUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!After deciding that I didnt want talc in my powder any more and bismuth causes breakouts, I decided to try this. First I decided to try cocoa powder as a bronzer...i used very little and didnt mix it with anything and it worked great! (LATER I did go and actually purchase cacoa powder which I liked better as the tint was more natural colored esp for a bronzer) The cocoa powder gave me a nice healthy glow that looked so great...so i went to the health food store so get arrow root to make a setting powder and bought a little bag of this arrow root for like $5.00....the bag is larger than a bag of flavored coffee so will last me forever. I bought some little sifters on line for like a buck and mixed 2 tsp of arrow root with 1 tsp cacao powder.....not cocoa. I used cocoa powder initially but purchased cacao for $4.00....I am nc 15 and this powder is perfect! The cacoa gives a small amount of color which I LOVE...and it's so natural. Those who mix cinnamon in with their recipe didnt make sense to me as its quite grainy....I did not like the feel of the cinnamon so don't use that for powder...I read you can use icinnamon with oatmeal and water as a scrub which I will try. I have such sensitive skin that I'm so tickled with this. I went into the bathroom of a store when I first used it and thought...wow.....I look so much better!!!!!!!! I'm IN LOVE and will use this forever!!!!! It's good to make sure your foundation has set quite a bit prior to applying this or any powder or the moisture from your makeup and powder will cause power to pick up the moisture and be too dark....I had split this initially half and half...1 tsp arrowroot and 1 tsp cocoa powder and it was great too..my founation might be a tad too dark so I added a tsp of arrow root to lighten the powder. I looked so much healthier and with a nice natural glow....like skin and not flat and matte....what we are all looking for! You won't go wrong. I didnt get oily....its NOT CAKEY AT ALL....doesnt sit in your pores....HOLY GRAIL STATUS

UPDATE 2-2-17: WOW I realize after using this a week how clogging store bought powder is! I don't have to blot and my face looks air brushed when I apply it. Minimizes my pore and absolutely wonderful. Probably my imagination but I think my face looks better in the evening after taking my makeup off. Will never stop using!

on 8/25/2016 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Rightly or wrongly, I have read that cornstarch might feed some bacteria due to its sucrose content so I tried arrowroot powder. I find this product very sheer but it matts foundations beautifully. Because I am fair I have not had issues with a white cast. I bought a big bag at my local health food store and transferred some to any empty loose-powder container. All loose powders are messy but that is just the nature of the product. The cost is very cheap considering how much you get and how long it will last.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is THE best thing I have ever used. I have really oily skin and it usually takes 2-3 hours for me to be looking pretty oily and only an hour or so after that to look a hot oily mess. For years I've tried literally everything, altering my skincare, trying new primers/foundations and powders to see what can work and there hasn't been that much difference.
I originally tried cornstarch/cornflour which worked for a few weeks then I assume my skin got used to it and it became ineffective. As it's summer and humid I decided I needed a new powder ASAP as I was sick of blotting all the time and I came across arrowroot powder on here as a good cheap alternative. In the UK this barely costs anything especially if you're going to compare it to a makeup powder product.
Originally this was far too light just by itself so I added quite a bit of cocoa in and it fits my skin tone well. My makeup now stays matte for roughly 7 hours if not more which is a HUGE blessing for me even when I was in New York when it was humid as heck.

I highly recommend anyone with oily skin to try this out, this beats every powder I've tried before, drugstore or high end and this costs a fraction of the price and is also alot better for your skin!

on 7/31/2016 2:10:00 PM

I mix arrowroot powder and baking soda in a jar with a lid. I use a powder puff and use as a dusting powder. This is an alternative to using baby powder with talc.

This works especially well for me as I use a deodorant without aluminum. I apply deodorant first then powder. Helps keep me fresher longer.

I know it can be used as a finishing powder/primer on face. I have several products that work well for me and need to use up.

I purchased my arrowroot powder from BulkBarn in Canada.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I use arrowroot powder as an all natural translucent powder. It is great for setting my concealer under my eyes and my face, and it keeps me matte for at least 8 hours (min.) My favorite thing about this product is that it's all natural, so it doesn't bother me if I accidentally inhale it while applying it (unlike drugstore powders chock full of chemicals), and it does not cause me to break out because it is very light weight and natural! Translucent makes it great for most skin tones. The only complaint is the packaging. Because it comes in a big bag, what I do is I use an old powder container, and just pour a little bit into that and then that lasts me a long time.

on 6/7/2016 8:14:00 PM

I tried this as a dry shampoo (because I wanted something cheaper than Klorane) and it didn't work at all. It left a weird consistensy on my hair and it took me a long time to properly apply it on all roots. Overall, it wasn't a good experience and I went back to using Klorane's dry shampoo.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

Best discovery ever!!!!!! I am starting to get into all natural products. I bought arrowroot powder from a health food store. I intended to do some mixing with cocoa powder and turmeric to get a tinted powder. But I went ahead and just used the arrowroot by itself today. I normally get super oily 3 hours after doing my makeup, but not today!! It's been 10 hours since I did my makeup and i'm still pretty matte! Not cakey or dry, just silky and matt. Wow. I highly recommend this to everyone!!!

on 5/27/2015 12:24:00 AM

I don't know how this stuff does not have more reviews!!
I used to use baby powder as a face powder/setting powder but after switching to all natural face products and learning that baby powder has talc in it (very bad for your skin and a possible carcinogenic ingredient) I started researching other options. I tried cornstarch, but it just didn't have the same consistency and made me breakout. Alas, arrowroot powder! All natural and GREAT for your skin.
It has a super fine consistency and is silky smooth on your skin. Great primer for after I put on my morning oil serum, and great as a setting powder over foundation. Even BETTER; my face stays matte all.day.long. No joke. I used to get oily 3-4 hours into my day, but I come home and am seriously amazed that my makeup still looks so good!

I have seen a few different recipes on Pinterest and want to start playing around a bit. Some people mix it with cocoa or cacao powder, to create more of a "mineral foundation" powder. You can mix it with cinnamon/nutmeg to create a bronzer or blush as well. My current concoction, though, is a simple 50/50 mix of arrowroot powder and aztec healing clay or bentonite clay. The green hue seems to knock out any redness and prevents breakouts as well. Win/win for me :)

It's not as cheap as baby powder, but I bought a good sized spice shaker (the size of a normal thing of cinnamon or whatever) at Safeway for 5-6 bucks. I have to admit it took me awhile to find it, I probably spent a good 10 minutes staring at the spice aisle until it finally jumped out at me! But the small container will probably last me at least 6 months - I just put a little bit in an old mineral foundation container so I can bring it with me for touch ups throughout the day. HG status!

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

FACE POWDER:

I'm the greasiest little monkey out there and if a product works to keep my face shine free then you know it works. I put this on my face today on a whim as I had originally bought it to use as a dry shampoo (my review as a dry shampoo will be below) and HOLY COW... an hour went by and I looked in the mirror and I was shocked to see that I was still matte. WOW! My face was also smooth to the touch....like butta! I have used so, so many setting powders/pressed powders and mattifying lotions over the years and nothing has mattified like this. I can't believe something this impressive has been sitting in bulk barn all this time.

PROS/CONS

The only two cons I would say are:

1) the slight white cast it creates which is more visible on my face as I have tan skin. I read in the reviews below & you can tone down the white by adding cinnamon powder to it. I guess this could work and I’m thinking so could adding loose bronzing powder. Right now I just apply bronzer/blush afterwards.

2) It's so lightweight...it gets EVERYWHERE. Be sparing as possible or it will fly all up in your face and onto your eyelashes making you look like you have white eyelashes. I also experienced irritation near my eye lid area so avoid the eye area as much as possible.

DRY SHAMPOO:

As a dry shampoo it does a bang up job. But, again, it leaves a white cast on my dark hair. I know you can add cocoa powder or even cinnamon powder to it, which I have in the past, but something about putting that much food in my hair kinda turns me off. But it's still the cheapest, most effective powder to use when you need a quick dry cleaning. It instantly fluffs up your hair without weighing it down.

Side note: I recently was given Principessa's Notte Breeze dry shampoo for dark hair. I noticed the ingredient used for the brown tint of the product is 'iron oxide'. If you can find iron oxide powder from a DIY supplier online I don't see why you couldn't tint your own powder the same way. But if cocoa powder or cinnamon doesn't bother you than this is definitively the way to go. It's cheap and does the trick. No need to spend $30 + on a dry shampoo that lists cornstarch as the first ingredient.