July 26, 2014 | 932 users online

Loose Powders - Alima - Mineral Finishing Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2011 6:51:00 PM More reviews by bernb

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Alima Pure Satin Finishing Powder is a nice product. It has its purpose, however.
This finishing powder, in my opinion and experience, does nothing for oil control whatsoever.
But it is a rather beautiful finishing powder. It is definitely a ‘satin’ finish – it has an ethereal glow about it, that a lot of people won’t find suitable for everyday wear. I rather like the finish, as my face can sometimes look a little flat – the glow of this powder is a nice pick me up. After a few hours, it really ‘melts’ into the skin and the glow dissipates a little.
Overall it is a nice powder – some might find it more suitable for special occasions as opposed to everyday or workplace wear.
My only gripe is that it could be a little longer lasting, and have better oil control properties.
If anyone is looking for a nice mineral finishing powder that is more matte with decent oil control, try Laura Mercier Mineral Finishing Powder, which still has a bit of a glow to it, or Youngblood Mineral Rice Setting Powder, which is matte without being flat, and also doubles as a primer.
EDIT: My skintone - equivalent to MAC N/NC-10/15 (neutral warm, pale, with surface redness). I use Alima Pure Mineral Finishing Powder in Yuki.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by aclev

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i am a HUGE fan of alima's foundation. so i bought a couple of samples of the finishing powder in yuki, which was the shade recommended by the website. i wear neutral 1 in the foundation. for my everyday look, i wear only the foundation; it has good coverage and finishes very creamy. BUT on days when i wear the finishing powder, my skin looks flawless. even my hubbie commented that my skin looked "airbrushed" when i used the finishing powder on top of the alima foundation. he's very hard to impress and even harder to get a compliment out of; so i knew i had something with this powder. it looks kinda greenish in the container, but goes on smoothly without a hint of off color, cakiness or weird talc-y texture. how alima makes powdered mineral products that don't look powdery on the skin is beyond me but i will be repurchasing for sure!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2009 3:27:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I have tried this powder (got a sample) in a darkish-shade for my skin (Hanae), and while it is really finely milled and apply smoothly with the proper brush, it has a "glowy" finishing that I do not like - makes me feel oily ans shiny just by the looks.
I like my powder to be matte and stay put all day, absorbing oil.
This is not a powder for very oliy skins.
In addition - sorry for being a bummer - my eyes cried all day (and the only change in makeup was the Alima powder), I am probably sensitive to that powder and I noticed it hurt my eyes right upon applicaion. So be cautious. To me, a no buy - no use at all.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2007 11:34:00 AM More reviews by yoursisterdebra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have samples of the Mineral Finishing Powder in both Light Yellow and Cool Beige and I am somewhat disappointed. I love Alima's foundation, primer powder, concealer, blushes, lipbalm, etc. but this finishing powder is a disaster for me. I have quite dry skin so after applying Alima's mineral foundation my complexion looks fine... glowy but not too glowy and definitely not too dry/flaky. The finishing powder disappears into my skin color-wise, but makes my face look super shiny and the effect does not disappear over time (i.e. if I wait a while after application the shine doesn't go away). I don't understand why this powder that is supposed to absorb oil makes my dry face look like I sprayed it with Pam but I have tried it numerous times and always get this result. I have found that topping my Alima foundation off with a light dusting of NARS loose powder keeps my skin looking perfect all day so I will stick with that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2007 11:12:00 AM More reviews by trulylovely

I have oily/combo skin and LOVE Alima foundation, but I cannot really see a difference when I use the Mineral Finishing Powder in Light Yellow over my foundation. I used it for 3 days but can't tell a difference, so won't repurchase. It's not a bad product, but it just doesn't do much for me. I'm a big fan of Alima, but this is not their best product. I recently bought the Satin Finishing Powder, I prefer it much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/6/2007 5:49:00 PM More reviews by rudy13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this finishing powder and use it with Signature Minerals foundation. I have an oily T- Zone and have to reapply in the middle of the day to keep the shine at bay, but I have to do this no matter what powder I use. I love the silky texture and have found several colors that work well with my skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2007 11:55:00 AM More reviews by tomlina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this in light yellow because my face has some pinky undertones, and the colour blends perfectly with my C-2 Alima foundation - it doesn't change the colour of the foundation at all. At first I didn't know if the finishing powder was doing anything, but then I forgot to put it on one day and noticed that my face got shinier much quicker than when I use this stuff. For this reason, I will continue to use it every day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2007 11:48:00 AM More reviews by verybecca

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this with some samples that I ordered and use this over the Alima Mineral Foundation and I love it...I have Light Yellow and it disappears on my skin and gives my skin the perfect, matte finish that I need after applying the foundation, which feels a little sticky without powder. Love this stuff.

NC30/MMM/Oily-Combo

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2007 2:11:00 PM More reviews by jamieisaak

Love this stuff. I use the Light yellow one and it's perfect for my NC25ish skin. This powder takes away shine but doesn't look cakey. In fact I don't even see it on my skin at all when i'm wearing it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2007 10:50:00 PM More reviews by jjenner273

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff! I don't usually wear foundation, maybe just a bit of bronzer. This product gives a soft finished look to your make up. It is so very subtle and sheer and barely looks like you are any wearing make up. Beautiful product!