November 22, 2014 | 1906 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Steam Straightener

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2011 2:19:00 PM More reviews by turnthisaround

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the second iron I have ever used. I was in 8th grade at the time and my friend raved about it. Being middle school kids, we didn't know any better.

What an awful, awful product. It's a joke honestly. The plates couldn't be more pure metal. I remember this iron sizzling my hair.
It does use steam to straighten and it made a dramatic difference. My hair was flat.
Thing was, when I went outside, my hair curled up worse than it usually did. It's almost like using a spray bottle to dampen your hair.
I can't even imagine the damage this thing did.

It didn't last long, either...thankfully. My irons, especially back then, use to somehow throw themselves off the counter and break. (weirdest thing, cannot explain it.)
It dropped maybe twice and that was it.

This isn't even good for beginners. It's not good for anyone. If this is still in production, it needs to be STOPPED.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2011 1:15:00 AM More reviews by vtoodler

I used to use this flat iron during high school--approximately 8 years ago. I don't think they sell it in the stores anymore, although you can still get it from eBay or other second-hand stores.

I think it's a wonderful flat iron. The steam used to condition my hair, and I believe that it helped stop breakage. Sadly, this flat iron broke after less than one year, and I couldn't find another one like it at the store.

The only two things that I didn't like about it were the detangling combs (which I removed) and the fact that it was hard to clamp down. I imagine that someone with arthritis or limited hand mobility could not use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2009 8:41:00 AM More reviews by Saunta2

These reviews on this product are not right. These are reviews for the old Conair steamer that was selling YEARS ago. People saying they bought this in high school years ago but this wasn't available then, this is a new straightener. One person even said they used it when they were twelve and they are now TWENTY. This straightener was not on the market EIGHT years ago. And it is only going to mislead people who are interested in this product. This is a new steamer the Conair Infiniti Silver Nano Steam Straightener. It is a big red one and has only been selling for about 3 years max. I am Afro-Caribbean and bought this steamer a few weeks ago and it worked wonders on my natural kinky hair. Yes kinky hair that hasn't been permed, over a week has passed since I straightened my hair and my har is still straight. I didn't even have to touch it up. The plates are not metal like some said they are ceramic-tourmaline. The hair is not supposed to be wet like some said it is supposed to be completely dry. I used this straightener on my dry afro type hair and my hair came out extremely straight, extremely smooth, extremely shiny. And if you use it without the teeth (there is a setting for the teeth) then it will curl the ends perfectly. My advice to those who are thinking of buying this product is to review it at Folica.com or amazon.com where you will get better reviews both for and against this steam straightener.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2009 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Marion123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OK, I waited a while to review this product as I have two left hands and didn't get the hang of it straight away. It would have been easy for me to throw it to one side, or get rid of it but I decided to stick with it -- and I'm pleased I did! I have very fine, long, frizzy hair that resembles blonde cotton candy. As I'm originally from the UK, now living in NY, my hair (with the humidity of the summers here) is nothing like the way it was when I was living in England, it's far wilder and frizzier.

First of all I found that, despite the contrary recommendations for my hair type on the package, I needed to experiment a bit with the heat and whether the detangler was protruding, or not. I ended up with the heat a good deal higher than was recommended. Also, being that I'm not particularly adept at blowdrying, I had to put my hair in large velcro rollers, dry it with a hairdryer, then take each roller out and steam straighten it. I've gotten this down to a fine art and can complete the entire process in about 45 mins, give or take, and can get away with redoing my hair once or twice a week. It's never needed to be touched up between washes, unless I (rarely) get caught in the rain without an umbrella. The water container, its true, runs out pretty quickly but I've managed to complete the straightening in good time.

For me, this straightener has been amazing. I'm 51 years old and have NEVER EVER been happy with my hair, which simply looked like a dry frizzy mess, without straightening, no matter WHAT I've tried to do to it in the past. I've even had hairdressers tell me that I have impossibly difficult hair to maintain. This was my last hope as I was about to get it professionally straightened, but I'm spared the expense of that now.

Again, I'm no hair stylist. I've had this straightener about 6 months and I've had to experiment with it in order to achieve success. I don't even need to use any product whatsoever on my hair, and it stays straight until washing.

I HIGHLY recommend this steam straightener. It has been a Godsend and I honestly do not know what I would do without it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2008 8:54:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

I too have the new nano silver 1 1/2" steam straightener by Conair (the red one!) It is absolutely AMAZING on my hair.

My hair is on the frizzy side of curly and tends to be a pain ... this straightener works like magic. I haven't had a haircut in 3 1/2 months (growing it out) and I've had 10 different people ask if I've just had a haircut. My hair is super soft with none of the dryness I've had with other straighteners ... I've had a few and at C$90, this is the cheapest. It also lasts for a couple of days - so on lazy days, I don't have to panic.

My one issue is that is does make my hair more staticy than usual - however, this could also just be the -40 temperatures we've been having lately ... a little hairspray and a quick run through with a dryer sheet and it's all good.

Based on other reviews, on other sites, I wasn't sure ... this straightener seems to either be a love it or hate it, with no in between. For me, this has been an absolute miracle!

UPDATE: still in love (maybe more so!) - have found that using a leave in conditioner dramatically reduces static

Update 2: after about 10 months, it started to separate and my hair started getting caught in it. Have since moved on.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2008 1:32:00 PM More reviews by dawnbrooks05

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This iron is the best I have ever had. It really straightens my hair. I have very thick and natural curly hair. I had to o it a few times on the same piece of hair and use a product. I use Paul Mitchell Skinny on it before. The only thing that I have a problem with it is that it does not cut down on the static like the informcial claims.

I would recommend this product to people. I wish they would make the water stay longer.

Thanks.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2008 4:29:00 PM More reviews by AnchorsAway

I was nervous to spend $100.00 on a steam straightener because of memories of the old Conair that I had back in High School (more than 10 years ago). Also, I've been a Flat Iron snob (spending waaaay too much money on Chi's, etc trying to find one that will work). Traditional irons- ceramic, tourmaline, ionic, whatever- leave my hair feeling like straw and it still gets poufy.

I tried the steam straightener and it works great! I use it on the highest setting and it makes my hair soft and pin straight after just one pass. I took off one star because the steam runs out pretty quick and you can't add more while it's hot... BUT even though I have long, thick hair- I've been able to get it all straight before the steam runs out (but I'm always cutting it close).
**EDIT** I'm reviewing the new Conair Infinity Steam Straightener (It's red)... not the old school white one!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2008 2:52:00 AM More reviews by yallagabig

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Whoa guys. Haha. Ok, true story: this was my first straightening iron and because I had never used one before (I got it when I was TWELVE. I am now TWENTY) I thought all flat irons worked the same way and took just as long. I mean, it worked, yeah. It straightened my hair. But it took FOREVER. It damaged my hair and like just all around sucked, but I didn't know any better. So a few days ago, the iron fell and broke into two pieces, and it was the happiest day of my life because it finally gave me an excuse to get a new flat iron. I bought a CHI and finally learned how well (and quickly) a straightening iron is SUPPOSED to work. Holy crap.
I mean, this iron DOES straighten hair, if you have the patience of like an ascetic monk. And it lasted me a good long time (uh, eight years) and never gave me any technical trouble. Although I swear I got arthritis from clamping it down so much. Anyway yeah, don't buy this.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/12/2008 6:18:00 PM More reviews by LaBellaLisa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hahahaha! Wow, I guess this was the first straightening iron a lot of people owned. I had this piece of crap in high school, all it did was rip my hair out, make it all damp and limp because of the steam... and just totally wreck my hair. Whoever designed this should be shot, people... don't buy this. I would also get scalded by the hot steam or boiling hot water leaking out.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/2/2008 4:37:00 AM More reviews by cyberseraphim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I HAD THIS BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL! what a piece of crap.