September 1, 2014 | 1958 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Farouk CHI - Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2014 2:39:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

How can I have overlooked reviewing the most life-changing piece of hair equipment I own? I have coarse, wavy, frizz-prone hair and, my whole life, I've never wanted more than smooth, straight, silky hair and I've spent countless hours in pursuit of this end result. Back before flat irons, I would faff around with a brush or several brushes, clips and a blow dryer to get a relatively smooth bob. I'd often be hot and sweating in the process, especially in summer. And it was okay when my hair was an "all one length bob" - okay at least until I'd go outside in the hot humid summer or on a damp, drizzly day. So, along came flat irons. My first was an old-style Babyliss and it was okay but then along came the ceramic straighteners that were thinner and less boxy/bulky and easier to use. I have a great hairdresser. She purchases products for clients when she's at the beauty supply store; she gets them wholesale and then just passes them on to her regular clients at her wholesale price. She picked up a CHI for my kids to give me for Mothers Day at least 10 years ago! That same flat iron is STILL GOING STRONG and it's really not an exaggeration to say it changed my life. I'm able to wear a layered bob now, and I never would have been able to wear this style before (the layers would have been out of the question with the texture and wave of my hair). I can even go out in a light drizzle or on a humid, steam-bath type of day and my hair will stay smooth, thanks to the ceramic/ionic properties of the straightener. I don't know how much longer with flat iron will last but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. This flat iron really is worth the price, even at retail....if you take care of it, it should last you years and amortize to 15 or 20 bucks a year! Can't beat that!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2014 3:54:00 PM More reviews by LonnieGray

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This last year I wanted to get a really nice flat iron so I spent a few months reading reviews and looking things up, and overlooked the chi completely. i've owned one in the past and ended up giving it away because I was never satisfied with the results. I ended up buying a babyliss one, which I had high hopes for, but I still never had that silky straight hair I wanted. I figured I just had to live with it. Well my babyliss fell in the toilet and had to be replaced quickly recently so I just drove down to a local salon and grabbed a chi, Just to have something.

I can admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong. I have really thick, coarse hair, and have never managed to get it straight with no pouffy-ness, but the results from this are amazing. I clipped it up in sections and used a small amount of redken heat protect spray, and a tiny bit of the chi silk infusion that came with it and WOW. Seriously, I only had to do 1 passthrough, maybe 2. It was pretty fast, i was doing fairly small pieces and still did my whole head in under 30 minutes, that's unheard of for me. And it's still fairly straight today (I did it yesterday), I'm really happy with this and glad I got it, I only wish I had gotten this one months ago.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Brookeybrooke43

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

after a couple of years of just giving up on perfect straight hair, I've been using curling irons mostly & going curly for my pretty hair looks. & telling myself my natural wavy looks good if I go over it with my cheap revlon flat iron. lol just repurchased the black Chi and styled it today. it made it worth putting time and effort into my hair to make it beautifully straight! my hair looks awesome & makes me excited all over again like when I discovered there were other flat irons instead of ConAir in the 8th grade :D

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by jercast

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I've had my chi for about 2 years now and It works great. I have not had a problem with it and it flattens my hair in a short amount of time and it makes my hair appear smooth and shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 3:55:00 AM More reviews by Cinderelletta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've had my Chi for a little over 4 years now. My sophomore year of college, I lived across the hall from my best friend in our dorm & I was always going to borrow her Chi before class, before nights out, whatever. So, her & a bunch of my other friends pooled money together to buy me my own for my birthday that year & I've had it ever since!

After having mine for so many years and countless moves [five to be exact] it's getting a little worn, with the ceramic wearing through/chipping off, but it's still going strong & working as well as it ever did. The price definitely sucks, but I almost always see them at TJ Maxx for like $60 or $70 and Ulta has been having tons of great sales on Chi stuff lately. Such good sales I've been tempted to get myself a pretty new one!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/1/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by englande

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've had my CHI for a couple years now. I haven't had any problems with it. Still going strong. I use it 4-6 times a week. This thing gets so hot!!! I have long hair and noticed the finest hairs around my face and ears are significantly damaged to the point where they have broken off and are super short and stick up in certain places. I use it on the highest temp setting which is probably why it seems to damage my fine hair. However, if I move it down to a lower temp, it doesn't do a good job of straightening smoothly. My hair will seem lumpy and still somewhat frizzy. I use a heat protectant with it, but that doesn't seem to reduce the damage all over my hair. I do like how shiny and smooth it makes my hair despite the damage. I will say it does straighten fast and well if you use a high setting and heats up in a flash. But I have reduced my usage to protect my hair. When the CHI breaks, I probably will not buy another and try something that is made to help reduce or prevent heat damage.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/18/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by BrutallyHonest12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It died after 2 years of use. My GHD works better but the GHD died after 2 years of use too. Just bought a Babyliss and hope it lasts more than 2 years.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I have owned two of these in the last 10 years...yes 10. They last forever. I love them and will never buy another brand. They are super hot, super reliable, and I have never had any issues with them.

When I first purchased them it was so long ago they had been only available to hair dressers and my hair dresser got one for me and I paid her. Since then they have gone down in price and are available in more places thankfully.

This is a HG tool for me and cannot be without it. The price is well worth the quality on these irons. I read others having issues with them lasting a year, I have no idea. I have never (crossing my fingers) ever had any issues with the two I have had and the first lasted me 7 years. I sued it every other day almost every week. This newer one is almost 5 years old now and not a hitch.

They make your hair very straight in one pass and barely do damage to it. I have tried many many other irons in the past that I had to pass so many times and I never got the results I get with Chi. The other damaged my hair a lot quicker as well. Make sure to use heat protectant and always deep condition as well all know now, I didn't for a long time and paid the price lol.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2014 4:48:00 AM More reviews by HottSauce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I already have straight hair but sometimes I want it pin straight. This straightener is overkill for the job.

Some of My complaints are: The size. I use this only for straightening my Long hair with long layers, and it takes a long time with the small plate size. You must keep your hand straight again because again, the small size. any bend of your wrist could cause a crimp or a bend in the hair. I heard there exist wider plated Chis...I should have at least bought that one.

Another thing I don't like that's also a fault on myself is, how the hell am I supposed to curl my hair with this?!?! I know many people using this for a curling iron. I must be handicapped. After so many YouTube videos, nope. Nothing. I have a CURLING IRON to CURL my hair.

Also what I don't like is the heat settings. I don't have a problem with the heat actually, but I know that would bother lots of people. Only TWO settings: ON and OFF

It's too expensive just to straighten my already straight hair. I can buy a decent straightener with wider plates for a much cheaper price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 12:36:00 PM More reviews by katyrenae16

this is the BEST flat iron. I have really thick hair, so with any other flat iron, i would straighten my hair in about 5 parts. With this, I can straighten it in about 2 parts. Saves me so much time in the mornings!