Farouk CHI Chi Ceramic Flat Iron by Farouk

4.4

on 4/4/2015 8:36:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

My favorite straightener ever. I've been using straighteners for 8 years so of course I have always heard about the Chi and the hype around the Chi straightener. I've tried countless other straighteners, from a basic Conair one to a Sedu. None of them compare to this.

My Sedu crapped out on me so I asked my friends what straightener I should get. Many of them suggested this one and that it really did live up to the hype, so I decided to try it out. I've had it for about a year now and it still works really great. It heats up really quickly and it stays hot. It quickly straightens my hair and my hair stays straight all day.

There's no hair tugging/pulling either which I experienced with some of my cheaper straighteners that I bought from Walmart.

I have the 1 inch so I straighten it and occasionally curl it. I really love this straightener and recommend it. I bought it on sale from Ulta and am super happy with it.

on 9/25/2014 1:18:00 PM

I've used the Chi flat irons for about 6 years now. They make my hair very straight and shiny, and they heat up REALLY fast.

BUT the last two I've had have broken after just a year! Given the price tag, this is not cool. I'm going to try to find a different brand that lasts a little longer!

on 9/8/2014 10:55:00 PM

I have fairly thick, wavy hair. I use my CHI a lot in the winter, but tend to go more natural (AKA super lazy) in the summer. When I use it fairly often my hair remains undamaged. Sometimes I use the CHI heat protectant spray that I also picked up at TJ Maxx for $10, but not always. My hair seems to do just fine without it. I get more damage in the summer from putting my hair up in a messy bun than I do using this all the time. The first one I had was one of the cheaper ones that just had the on/off switch and the temperature couldn't be adjusted. It worked great and I loved it but I wanted to upgrade to one of the really nice ones that could be adjusted, and I happened to fall across one at TJ Maxx for $70...yes still spendy but that's half the price of paying for a full priced one. I don't even regret the splurge at all. It's so worth it. And I feel that CHI's are a great way to have an amazing product but without spending $300 on the ridiculous ones, that, lets be real, only super rich people can afford. Before I had my first one I went through cheap straighteners like nobody's business cause I hated them and they damaged my hair. My Chi is by far one of my favorite beauty products I own. It's fast and efficient, and I can do a variety of things with my hair...make it stick straight, make it more turned in at the bottoms for a more natural look, straight up curl it...these are worth the investment. Go buy yourself one and stop wasting your time on cheap ones. I've been using CHI's for a few years now and will never ever go back.

on 9/6/2014 5:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I'm lucky to have this chi straightener too. It makes my hair shiny and silky. A Great straightener I have ever had. Also it did not cost me much just $53.99 get it from http://www.magicqueen.com/Product-CHI-Mini-Hair-Straightener-Pink-215.html by using a coupon: MQ10

on 9/1/2014 2:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

How can I have overlooked reviewing the most life-changing piece of hair equipment I own? I have coarse, wavy, frizz-prone hair and, my whole life, I've never wanted more than smooth, straight, silky hair and I've spent countless hours in pursuit of this end result. Back before flat irons, I would faff around with a brush or several brushes, clips and a blow dryer to get a relatively smooth bob. I'd often be hot and sweating in the process, especially in summer. And it was okay when my hair was an "all one length bob" - okay at least until I'd go outside in the hot humid summer or on a damp, drizzly day. So, along came flat irons. My first was an old-style Babyliss and it was okay but then along came the ceramic straighteners that were thinner and less boxy/bulky and easier to use. I have a great hairdresser. She purchases products for clients when she's at the beauty supply store; she gets them wholesale and then just passes them on to her regular clients at her wholesale price. She picked up a CHI for my kids to give me for Mothers Day at least 10 years ago! That same flat iron is STILL GOING STRONG and it's really not an exaggeration to say it changed my life. I'm able to wear a layered bob now, and I never would have been able to wear this style before (the layers would have been out of the question with the texture and wave of my hair). I can even go out in a light drizzle or on a humid, steam-bath type of day and my hair will stay smooth, thanks to the ceramic/ionic properties of the straightener. I don't know how much longer with flat iron will last but I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. This flat iron really is worth the price, even at retail....if you take care of it, it should last you years and amortize to 15 or 20 bucks a year! Can't beat that!

on 8/29/2014 3:54:00 PM

This last year I wanted to get a really nice flat iron so I spent a few months reading reviews and looking things up, and overlooked the chi completely. i've owned one in the past and ended up giving it away because I was never satisfied with the results. I ended up buying a babyliss one, which I had high hopes for, but I still never had that silky straight hair I wanted. I figured I just had to live with it. Well my babyliss fell in the toilet and had to be replaced quickly recently so I just drove down to a local salon and grabbed a chi, Just to have something.

I can admit when I am wrong, and I was wrong. I have really thick, coarse hair, and have never managed to get it straight with no pouffy-ness, but the results from this are amazing. I clipped it up in sections and used a small amount of redken heat protect spray, and a tiny bit of the chi silk infusion that came with it and WOW. Seriously, I only had to do 1 passthrough, maybe 2. It was pretty fast, i was doing fairly small pieces and still did my whole head in under 30 minutes, that's unheard of for me. And it's still fairly straight today (I did it yesterday), I'm really happy with this and glad I got it, I only wish I had gotten this one months ago.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

after a couple of years of just giving up on perfect straight hair, I've been using curling irons mostly & going curly for my pretty hair looks. & telling myself my natural wavy looks good if I go over it with my cheap revlon flat iron. lol just repurchased the black Chi and styled it today. it made it worth putting time and effort into my hair to make it beautifully straight! my hair looks awesome & makes me excited all over again like when I discovered there were other flat irons instead of ConAir in the 8th grade :D

on 7/25/2014 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I've had my chi for about 2 years now and It works great. I have not had a problem with it and it flattens my hair in a short amount of time and it makes my hair appear smooth and shiny.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I've had my Chi for a little over 4 years now. My sophomore year of college, I lived across the hall from my best friend in our dorm & I was always going to borrow her Chi before class, before nights out, whatever. So, her & a bunch of my other friends pooled money together to buy me my own for my birthday that year & I've had it ever since!

After having mine for so many years and countless moves [five to be exact] it's getting a little worn, with the ceramic wearing through/chipping off, but it's still going strong & working as well as it ever did. The price definitely sucks, but I almost always see them at TJ Maxx for like $60 or $70 and Ulta has been having tons of great sales on Chi stuff lately. Such good sales I've been tempted to get myself a pretty new one!

on 5/1/2014 12:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I've had my CHI for a couple years now. I haven't had any problems with it. Still going strong. I use it 4-6 times a week. This thing gets so hot!!! I have long hair and noticed the finest hairs around my face and ears are significantly damaged to the point where they have broken off and are super short and stick up in certain places. I use it on the highest temp setting which is probably why it seems to damage my fine hair. However, if I move it down to a lower temp, it doesn't do a good job of straightening smoothly. My hair will seem lumpy and still somewhat frizzy. I use a heat protectant with it, but that doesn't seem to reduce the damage all over my hair. I do like how shiny and smooth it makes my hair despite the damage. I will say it does straighten fast and well if you use a high setting and heats up in a flash. But I have reduced my usage to protect my hair. When the CHI breaks, I probably will not buy another and try something that is made to help reduce or prevent heat damage.

Popular Hair Styling Tools