Paul Mitchell Paul Mitchell The Smoothing Iron

Not tested on animals

on 3/11/2015 1:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I've had 2 models of this straightener, the first purchased around 2004 and lasted until 2010 when I fried it during a trip to Europe (can't trust voltage converters). That one was my absolute favourite--the spring was tight enough to clamp onto my fine hair, the bright green plates wrapped partly around the sides and I loved the matte outer casing.

The newer (purchased in 2010) casing is smooth, black plastic and the plates are black. The spring is not as tight on this model so there is less ripping my hair. I keep mine at about 360 degrees although it can get hotter, and it heats up in under a minute, even after five years of use. I straighten my curly, slightly frizzy hair every single day so I keep it plugged in 24/7 (but turned off) and never wrap the cord around it. Combined with my Pantene shampoo & conditioner, I constantly get compliments from friends, strangers, and hair stylists on how shiny and healthy my hair looks. Though pricey, the straightener is great quality and I would not hesitate to repurchase it for a third time.

on 8/1/2014 4:33:00 PM

I've had this iron for over 7 years now and it's still going strong! I had short hair for several years and had it in storage (cord wrapped around it, ooops!). It still works like brand new now that I'm using it again. Unlike other flat irons I've tried, this one doesn't damage my hair and never leaves a crease at the top of my hair (even if I linger). It also doesn't have tons of hair ripped out from getting caught between the plate and the base. Love this, when it dies I will gladly buy another from this brand! You can't beat the quality. It might be expensive up front but it's worth it. I got mine from my hair stylist in 2006 or 2007 for around $150 but it's cheaper now (I think there have been some improvements too).

on 10/7/2013 6:17:00 PM

Coming from someone who worked in a hair salon for a very long time, & has tried pretty much every straightening iron you can possibly think of...trust me when I say that this iron is one of the best. This leaves my hair smooth, silky, glossy, & straight. It glides through my hair extremely easily & doesn't take long to heat up, & has adjustable heat settings. (Knock on wood) This iron also holds up really well (unlike the Chi, cough cough). This iron leaves a really amazing finish on my hair. I love this iron & I would definitely buy this again & reccommend. Fantastic quality.

on 11/7/2012 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

Great smoothing iron. Very sturdy. Dropped it a few times and it still works. Heats up fast and smooths hair well. Very satisfied with this product.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

My old hair straightener broke this weekend so I had to go out and buy a new one. When I got to the store the lady working there recommended this Paul Mitchell Straightener. I have only used it a couple of times but so far I think its great! I also think it is much better than my old one. It seems to grip my hair better so that there is more tension which allows for better control and styling. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a new straightener.

This review is for the curl wand (teardrop shape, red and black). I adore this curl wand, it's my favorite of many that I've tried. It produces a beautiful natural looking curl, and awesome beach waves when brushed thoroughly. Because of its unusual 'backwards' shape the hair stays on the wand much better than other wands that have the tapered end facing away from the handle. It gets hot and STAYS hot. The looks created can be very versatile therefore I'm a big fan as a hairstylist.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I personally prefer my ghd, however this is a close second, and a lot cheaper. I will never understand why so many people buy the chi rather than this one. They both straighten the same, but this one lasts way longer.

on 7/8/2011 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

My mom bought me this straightner when I was in 7th grade. I am now an incoming college freshman and this is the only straighter I have and have had and I love it! It's still almost as good as new..and its been what 5 years? I used to use it everyday back in middle school and the early years of high school until I realized how badly heat products can damage your hair...I now use it about 2 times a weeks when I go out somewhere nice. Does exactly what it's supposed to do..my product is older now compared to the newer PM designs...I do like the newer designs better because the head is slimmer.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So far so good. I used a Chi for years (6-8 yrs). It finally died. I had to make a mad dash to get a new flat iron. My hair dresser uses a Paul Mitchell, so I took the plunge and bought it. So far I love it. Not sure it was worth the $. But I had to have something.

on 7/28/2010 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I've had two PM smoothing irons. The first one lasted a year and a half before it pretty much died-- this was admittedly my fault since i wrapped the cord around the iron. The wires got messed up and it would shut on and off.
I bought a new PM iron and NEVER wrapped the cord around-- two and a half years later the same thing happened! I've ordered a GHD and am waiting for it in the mail!!

Popular Hair Styling Tools